Union Pacific "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Union Pacific Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 15, 2020

1.9
Union Pacific President & CEO Lance Fritz
Lance Fritz
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance is not the best but constant improvements are being made/attempted(in 115 reviews)

• "The company has now resorted to stealing from its employees who work on call 24/7(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Make the Railroad Great Again"

Former Employee - Manager II of Yard Operations in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Salary, benefits, and promotion opportunities. - Gain extensive and prestigious management experience. - Large operations support network and resources. - If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

Cons

- Long Hours, unionized employees demand respect and everything under the stars but fail to return the same respect. - Work/life balance is not the best but constant improvements are being made/attempted. - Your experience will vary depending on your team and location.

Union Pacific2019-10-04

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - IT Senior Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The salary would be considered decent if based on a 40-hour work week. However, plan on working 60+ hours per week.

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Expect to work 60 - 80 hours per week on a regular basis. I was an industrious and diligent employee who received great performance reviews and several promotions. I sacrificed a lot for this company, working 80+ hours a week for a few years and I even relocated my family to Omaha. I worked for the company for almost ten years, but didn't qualify for railroad retirement until my position moved to Omaha. I was laid off two months' shy of qualifying for railroad retirement. Surprised? No. This company does not value its employees and will do whatever it deems necessary to save a dollar. Please heed my advice and do not work here. You will regret it.

Union Pacific2020-02-15
  3. "Senior Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Project Manager

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits but really no difference than other companies in the industry.

Cons

No work life balance, no integrity in the company anymore. Just remember you're just a number. I would recommend to run away from this company.

Union Pacific2020-02-15

"Just a cog in the machine stamped with an employee number."

Current Employee - Railroad Conductor

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Union negotiated pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Lack of concern for the health and well being of employees. Very difficult to find a work / life balance working here. The company expects employees to be on call 24/7 365 days a year. Very little paid time off. Cost cutting continues to stack additional burdens on remaining employees.

Union Pacific2020-02-01

"Great job tons of layoffs"

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Union Pacific part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Enjoyable job Great peers Great income when working Great Benefits

Cons

Lots of lay offs in the first 10 years Poor communication Poor direction from Senior Management Frustrated Customer Base Bad schedule Impossible work life balance

Union Pacific2020-01-14
  6. "Alright"

Former Employee - Train Crew

I worked at Union Pacific full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are on the top end

Cons

Work life balance. Plan on never being home and not being able to plan anything. Your on call 24/7. Being seniority based you never know which city you will be working out of.

Union Pacific2019-11-19

"Really went downhill"

Former Employee - Inter-modal Operations in Omaha, NE

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Everyone (mostly) sticks together as they are all struggling and know it is not a great work environment *More casual dress code

Cons

*Sinking ship. Constant turn-over. Always afraid you will be fired or laid off. No job security. Even great employees get let go. *Extremely low morale. Very depressing to go into work every day. *Unclear goals - not sure where your career will go or where your business unit will be in 12 months. *Your business unit could be cut at any time with zero warning, as they did with the MDSC. All those people laid off with absolutely no warning. * Yearly salary increase barely keeps up with inflation. Bonus is not much better (at least for LOUP) *ZERO work-life balance. Expect to work Monday-Friday as well as random weekends (full 8-hour shift with no extra pay) and holidays. Everyone must work at least 1 major holiday on a lottery system.

Union Pacific2019-12-19
  8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Retirement benefits, Industry leader, Peers

Cons

Work life balance, Conservative Salaries, Diversity

Union Pacific2019-11-02

"UP needs to improve their culture if they want to succeed"

Former Employee - Manager of Yard Operations

I worked at Union Pacific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Pay (and I suppose opportunity to move up seeing as a lot of people are leaving/getting laid off/"involuntarily separated)

Cons

I was excited when I first joined up. Great OMT Program that psuedo-prepares you for management. Class said that if you were to have challenges, it would most likely be with the "Agreement Professionals" aka the union guys, but I guess I got lucky. All of my guys were amazing, and taught me more than management ever did (besides how to record/brief metrics). It's blatantly obvious that upper management really doesn't care about it's employees; I mean, read the other reviews. The company preaches work-life balance, but if you want to stand out and be good at your job (or perceived to be) you have to pull long hours, especially at when you're not at a big terminal and it's just you out there. Since I left there have been 2 (maybe 3?) rounds of layoffs. All to maximize shareholder value. It's such a shame because they preach safety, but then reduce the amount of the workforce, Agree and Salary (like management) alike and expect safer, more efficient work ethic. I just don't see that happening... Overall, I learned a lot from UP in the short time I was there ( only 16 months), but I'm glad that I left. Think twice before applying, especially if you have a family.

Union Pacific2019-10-11
  10. "An overall solid company"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Union Pacific full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Very competitive benefits packages, including a great 401k contribution, great medical/dental/vision packages, and overall compensation. - Work/life balance is decent, depends on your area of work. - A very forward thinking environment. - Lots of modern technology used daily. - Ability to really make a difference in the field with technology.

Cons

Many changes happening very rapidly - lots of movement requires a workforce that can endure change.

Union Pacific2019-10-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 132 reviews