Union Street Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Union Street Media Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2017

3.5
Union Street Media CEO Ted Adler (no image)
Ted Adler
  1. "A Better Option than Selling your Soul to Dealer.com"

Current Employee - Digital Content Specialist in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Union Street Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Union Street Media is a company that encourages you to be yourself, take chances, and to not be afraid of failing. You truly have a voice at Union Street Media. The team they have put together here is exceptionally knowledgeable and a lot of fun to hang out with. The benefits of working for USM go far beyond vacation time and medical benefits.

Cons

It's hard to think of a con when it comes to USM. I will say that when they are looking to hire new individuals, they take the process very seriously and truly look for an individual who isn't just a good fit for the technical aspects of the job but also for the office atmosphere. This can take quite a bit of time, and while I appreciate that they are looking for a good fit, sometimes this long search can take a... toll on the employees who are picking up the slack of a missing team member.

Advice to Management

Management talks a lot about work/life balance and not forgetting to take time for yourself so you don't get burnt out -- my advice for them would be to follow their own advice.

Union Street Media2017-06-20
  2. "Happy to Leave"

Former Employee - Supervisory

I worked at Union Street Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people. Everyone on my team was so smart, motivated, and kind they were like family. They really helped when things got tough.

Cons

The management team, company values, and compensation. My time there was nothing but drenched in poor morale for these reasons. I have heard the compensation issue has been alleviated some, but in my time there it was tough. The management team often took actions without being open with employees about anything. The company claimed to have a very open and employee first mentality, but it was all smoke and mirrors.... Beer Friday will never replace being treated and compensated fairly.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and be more open with your employees. A monthly review of 'financials' is not the same thing as actually bringing people in and being honest when big decisions are made. Take the money you throw at beer, free lunches, and all that flashy stuff and give it back to your employees and their families instead in a way that is actually helpful.

Union Street Media2017-09-13
  3. "Overall really really kind people to work with. Not the best training or compensation available."

Former Intern - Internet Marketing in Burlington, VT

I worked at Union Street Media for more than a year

Pros

work culture is great for recent grads! There's beer thirty and you get a pass to the mountain.

Cons

Low pay & not much incentive program for non-commission employees. Hard to move up in the organization

Advice to Management

Rethink about how money is spent in the organization. Maybe think about investors?

Union Street Media2016-12-22
  4. "Great working environment"

I have been working at Union Street Media

Pros

USM is more than a workplace, it is a supportive community that will not only help you reach, but succeed, your goals and provide you with the necessary tools to expand your skills and learn with the changing marketing trends. Managers are approachable, they listen and generally want you to be happy.

Cons

If I had to choose, it would be...small company, agency type setting so you're expected to wear many hats

Union Street Media2016-04-04
  5. "Currently @ Union Street"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Union Street Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is professional and supportive. Leadership is approachable (I can ask questions and make suggestions) and open-minded (they trust that their employees are competent and they consider/implement ideas). The business itself has great potential (building real estate websites) and there are opportunities for growth (existing employees have been promoted internally). All employees have access to the... open kitchen which stays stocked with fruits, veggies, cheese, cookies etc. USM pays for a season pass to Sugarbush Ski Resort! USM was involved in the Corporate Race League at Bolton Valley Ski Resort Lunch is provided on Tuesdays. In the past lunches were sourced from The Skinny Pancake, Tiny Thai, Leonardo's Pizza, Chipotle etc. On Friday we drink beer around 4:30 from our new kegerator. We usually drink craft beer and cider (Citizen Cider, Switchback, Fiddlehead IPA, Green State Lager, Conehead IPA, Sixpoint Resin etc.) or one of our designer's brews something special (next week we will be imbibing with a vanilla bean and orange zest cream ale). USM participate's in local events like The Magic Hat Mardi Gras Parade, we raised more than $500 (1,500 meals) for The Vermont Food Bank this year (ultimately winning the Great Gras Contest)! In addition, USM has sent me to: A UVM hockey game A Game Night: dinner and tokens at Tilt Women's Leadership Symposium at Champlain College A holiday party at The Skinny Pancake w/dinner and karaoke (open bar)

Cons

It's a desk job and there's a lot of screen time. Moreover, working from a computer allows you to work remotely.

Advice to Management

Please continue investing in your employees professional development, hiring from within and exploring benefits.

Union Street Media2016-03-29
  6. "Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Burlington, VT

I worked at Union Street Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly atmosphere where everyone is allowed a voice. USM is a agency that is great for entry-level professionals or people looking to diversify their skill set with a fair amount of autonomy. The salaries aren't quite the same as the big cities of course but this is offset by living in beautiful Burlington, Vermont.

Cons

Lack of room for growth at the time. I don't know if that's the case now.

Advice to Management

Continue to nurture your employees!

Union Street Media2016-03-22
  7. "Great Foundation"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Union Street Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

What a journey and a learning experience it has been. I don't think I could have asked for a better job out of school. I spent five years at Union Street Media. It wasn't the beer o'clocks, the open tab at Nectar's, the discount at SP, the Sugarbush Pass, etc (just some of the perks with working with great VT clients). It was the people at USM who I got to work with everyday. Ted (the owner of Union Street Media)... has it right in that we spend more time with our co-workers than our family. Not only did I get to work with a great team, but I simply wouldn't be the developer I am today without them. The skills and problem solving I learned from Union Street Media, have given me experience I can apply in my current job. To summarize, Union Street Media is a great small company based out of Burlington, VT. You learn a great deal due to having experienced co-workers for guidance.

Cons

As you will see from my profile, I am listed as a Former Employee. I left Union Street Media after five years, as a new opportunity was presented to me. Had the opportunity not present itself to me, I would still be at Union Street Media. I will echo what other reviewers have said in that Union Street Media does hire a lot of new employees out of college, therefore junior developers. During my exit interview,... one suggestion I had for improvement was for the company to explore retaining employees for more long term careers.

Union Street Media2016-02-01
  8. "Web Developer"

I worked at Union Street Media

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in. Management is willing to hear new ideas and allow you to take risks to improve processes. You can learn a lot if you listen to the employees who have been around forever. The building is comfortable with a nice homely vibe. Work life balance is normal if you’re smart about it.

Cons

Entry and mid level positions are well below industry average salaries. Benefits are okay at best. Barely any incentive to stick around, as salary bumps are not much higher than cost of living. This has caused retention, especially employees fresh out of college, to significantly drop. IMO the company made a tactical error by racing its competitors to the bottom by doing projects for cheap, in the hopes of making up... the difference in volume. This means that while they have a ton of clients, revenue isn’t great and so they pay fresh college graduates peanuts to do all of the grunt work. This constant stream of inexperienced workers being thrown at problems only to jet a couple of years later has caused major issues with the amount of technical debt in the product they provide to their clients. It’s painful to work in and slow to bring projects to completion.

Advice to Management

You need to raise salaries to at least match other companies in the area, or you will continue to suffer retention problems. You need to hire experienced developers to lead an effort to clean up and improve the efficiency of your product. Putting junior developers in charge only exacerbates the problem.

Union Street Media2015-06-30
  9. "Web Designer"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Union Street Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great space that overlooks the lake, and sits in the heart of the South End of Burlington. Nearby to coffee shops and restaurants. It is a healthy group of people who share a love for the Vermont lifestyle. The schedule is semi-flexible.

Cons

Company is divided into two teams and there is very little overlap. You are required to turn a timer on for every single thing you do. There is little room for growth in your career as raises are non-negotiable, you get presented with what your increase will be once a year. The company is full of post-graduates who lack experience and knowledge.

Advice to Management

There is a strong need for leadership and direction.

Union Street Media2015-06-17
  10. "Good place to get experience; little room for growth"

Former Employee - Internet Marketer in Burlington, VT

I worked at Union Street Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very laid back; great for entry-level positions and close knit company. The office environment is good with comfortable offices and a relaxed work culture.

Cons

Low salaries for mid-level positions; incremental salary increases and low median age. There is a lack of mentorship and training development.

Union Street Media2014-11-12