Unisource Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

some people care about the customer

Cons

too many to discuss on this forum

Advice to Management

Stick to commitments made to customers

2. "VP"

Current Employee - Vice President in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work until Merger

Cons

Merger completely change the culture

3. "A good company in a dying industry"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has been proactive in finding new ways to grow sales in a marketplace that is declining.

Cons

Difficult to get answers at times. Too many layers of management and cross over between segments which leads to conflicts between personnel. Programs are not always well thought out for all the pitfalls that can occur which leads to failures.

Advice to Management

At this point the advise would concern the merger. There is too much uncertainty about where everyone fits and it only causes frustration. Get the people involved in accounts together - make a decision and move forward. Don't let people hang on wondering what is going to happen.

"Terrible company because of the culture"

Former Employee - Director in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Norcross, GA

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pays reasonably well, talented team members here and there.

Cons

office culture is horrible, promotions are hidden, people are let go regularly without notice, managers watch the clocks, unstable senior management team

Advice to Management

There are some rotten apples in the senior management team that everyone knows contribute to the horrible culture of the company. Go fix the issues and please do it before it impacts the new Veritiv organization.

6. "Unisource has supported me for over 19 years"

Current Employee - Paper Plus Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Paper Plus Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, feeling of running your own business

Cons

Lack of training, upword movement

"Credit = Toxic"

Former Employee - Somewhat Up There In Credit in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Somewhat Up There In Credit in Itasca, IL

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many strong performers in this group that put in 100% daily, despite not wanting to come into work.

For few, there has been a substantial amount of upward mobility that have allowed their respective careers to flourish.

I have created what I hope to be lifelong bonds with several great people in this team and will gladly be a resource to them for as long as I am able.

The company itself is very dynamic, and for those who like and seek out change, there is ample opportunity for personal and professional career growth. I have learned more at this company than at any previous position. The CEO positioned the company for exactly what was needed by Bain & GP, which was to create a sustained profitability model that allowed for a future sale or return to public life. Some may not approve of the method and constant change, but in my view Al Dragone has accomplished an amazing feat at Unisource in basically 10 years.

Cons

Some upper Management in Credit had created an absolutely toxic work environment and seemingly act surprised when UWW Credit is not in the driver's seat moving forward in the new organization. The actions of the hardest working people in the group are often looked over if that employee is not liked by few, which has led to untimely resignations, terminations, and legal action. The group that consistently and completely turns over employees every 2.5 years receives mountains of praise and manages a function that is obsolete with the right technology in place. The mentality that those who are liked can do no wrong causes the true talent in this group to become complacent and looking for the next opportunity to leave.

Along with the above, the group's middle management is over-populated and littered with incompetence, apathy, or a mixture of both. where one may be completing the work of three or four of their peers... and in many cases completing the work of their boss.

The toxic environment that had been created, festered into a cancerous group that has little-to-no cohesion between teams and often fall into an us vs. them mentality.

The best people in this group either have left, or will be shortly, even without this merger happening.

There are massive compensation inequalities that exist, caused by an odd hiring practice in 2007 that continues to perpetuate. Some of the best performers are the lowest paid.

Advice to Management

Nada, it appears retribution is taking place by way of the merger. Certain egos will not fit within their new job titles.

8. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom. You are essentially creating your own business.

Cons

No real direction. Very little sales support.

Advice to Management

Support your salespeople

9. "You should think twice. This place is a joke, no respect. Sooooo Glad I walked out."

Current Employee - Warehouseman in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouseman in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay. and some cool people work there.

Cons

NO RESPECT toward associates. Unreasonable overtime. They work you as long as they want, like you have no right to know when the end of the shift will be. Management is MOUTHY, and needs attitude adjustment. Benefits are Horrible HIGH $$$ deductables!!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop blaming them for being miserable. IE: If your not happy here, there's the door attitude. Took you 10 months to start a 3rd shift? WTF? Whatever.

10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good starting salary, excellent teamwork

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees in mind

"Toxic!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Unisource Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy location to commute to and from. The dress code is casual. Many nearby restaurants to escape to from the office on lunch. The couches in the employee lounge are very comfortable. The work is easy enough once you come around the learning curve and is plentiful to help speed the day by. Wretched work environment helps to motivate looking for a better, more fulfilling career.

Cons

This is, without a doubt, the most toxic office environment I have ever had the misfortune to work in. Managers rule by fear, threats, intimidation, and hypocrisy. Office bullying is the norm with supervisors and co-workers alike employing underhanded tactics such as intimidation through verbal aggression, playing mind games, harsh ridicule, serious threats, backstabbing, and emotional blackmail. I have never felt more isolated and alone within a company than at Unisource; not even being able to trust the co-workers within my own dept. and "team". My own sense of self-worth was being diminished within the first month of employment as the continued abuse gave me frayed emotions, rattled nerves, reduced confidence, and a sense of mental exhaustion. Within the first six months I was threatened with losing my job 3 times despite being an honest hard-worker. Throughout the company there seems to be widespread anger and frustration, obvious hypocrisy, dysfunctional co-worker relationships, and overly restrictive systems and policies that are unregulated by an incompetent and powerless HR Dept. This is a company that treats profits as sacred and employees as doormats, and as a result their ethics and values suffer to the point of being non-existent.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you wish to be treated instead of allowing hypocrisy to reign. Show your employees the respect they deserve as professionals and human beings and see them increase their productivity instead of watching them walk out the door after they've quit. Promote teamwork and developing positive co-worker relationships up and down the chain-of-command instead of isolating everyone from one another. Grow up and stop fostering a bully-oriented, toxic office environment.