Unisys Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unisys President & CEO Peter Altabef
Peter Altabef

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can suffer if you let it (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management in Reston office (Fed Group) have hired some heavy ex-fed employees that are useless (in 52 reviews)

"Dell Certified Systems Expert"

Current Employee - DCSE in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - DCSE in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Unisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel is a big requirement, if you like to drive you'll love the job.
    Company is big on self-management, most companies talk about letting their employees be self-motivated and self-directed, this company definitely backs it up!
    Benefits aren't bad, far from the best but they do offer them at least.

Cons

Pay is far below national or even state average, for all of their positions.
    Bosses range widely from extremely easy-going and hands-off to absolutely in-your-face micromanagement to a scale far beyond any you've experienced before (and the company as a whole is moving in that direction)
    They are very no-nonsense and expect to be treated as guilty should any issues ever arise.
    VERY hard to move up within the corporate structure. The higher tiers are very well-guarded and anything even two steps up from where you're hired is almost impossible to achieve. Lateral moves ONLY.

Advice to Management

Start trusting your employees. Re-design your ticketing system, it's archaic. And change your metrics, it's absolutely stupid to judge an employee based off of metrics completely outside the realm of their control. Start paying your employees what they're worth, not what you think you can get away with. Get your pushy and ignorant managers out of management positions, there's no reason to let your employees get treated like garbage simply because the manager gets results. Start running your business like you care about your employees even somewhat close to your paycheck.

2. "DR SALES. STATE AND LOCAL GOVT."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Unisys (More than 10 years)

Pros

GOOD PEOPLE (AFTER LETTING 100,000 GO THE REMAINDERS ARE TOP NOTCH)

Cons

constant reorg- 100,000 plus layoffs AND MORE COMING. Products lack in reinvestment and have grown out dated

"Unisys is the WORST company - AVOID and find a BETTER employer!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Reston, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time at Unisys I could NOT find a single positive thing to say about this company. Absolutely nothing good about this company. I wish we could give ZERO stars

Cons

Zero stars. One of the worst companies I have ever had the displeasure of working for. They're disorganized, their benefits are not comparable to other companies and the so called "leaders" are laughable. Unisys is your typical head shop concerned only with ensuring workers are billable, but have zero interest in developing their careers or making them feel as if they're part of a company. If you're considering Unisys, I strongly advise you to look at another company where you'll be appreciated, offered great benefits and a chance to grow professionally. Best career move I made was leaving Unisys and seeing what other companies had to offer which was a thousand times better than anything I ever had at Unisys.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage and take a sincere interest in your employees.

"Horrible Experience"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Unisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home one day a week, standard vacation times, flexible start/end times

Cons

The work environment is hostile, no transparency from management, bullying/abusive employee, completely mis-managed, no opportunity for raises.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and fix the major issues that are causing major employee turnover.

"Clueless management"

Former Employee - Network Administrator, Project Leader in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Network Administrator, Project Leader in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Unisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing left. The top management keeps looting the remains of a once mighty and successful and effective company. Each round of reduction in force profits on the work legacy that the people who were let go generated.

Cons

Cons, yes, cons who should go to jail for how they destroyed countless peoples careers and families.

Advice to Management

Rehire me.

7. "Very political, US jobs given to foreign workers"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at Unisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on big, government contracts.

Cons

The company environment is very political - not in the Republican v Democrat way - but in terms of power plays, etc inside projects and inside the company. They staff their projects - even US taxpayer-funded projects - with a lot of imported, foreign workers. Foreign IT workers outnumber US workers by a large margin on their projects - even on US government projects. The work is not "outsourced" to Indian. The foreigners are imported to the US to do the work, right inside US government facilities. Additionally, once your project ends, you are on your own and out the door very quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop using foreign workers to staff US-taxpayer funded, US government projects.

"Astonishingly Toxic Company"

Former Employee - Director in Blue Bell, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Blue Bell, PA

I worked at Unisys full-time

Pros

This is tough. Definitely a plus that executive leadership doesn’t work at headquarters, though their “rule by fear” style has permeated throughout US operations. Probably not as horrific a place to work in India, where they continually send jobs. Use the filters on Glassdoor and you’ll see a substantial difference in approval ratings between the US and overseas.

Cons

Shockingly overstaffed executive level and understaffed in the trenches, especially in sales. Led by an elitist CEO who is totally out of touch with the realities of the marketplace and surrounds himself with yes men (which is a shame because some of them could probably make improvements if permitted to do so). Run as a dictatorship where anything less than total agreement with the top is met with hostility. The corporate headquarters is a half empty, depressing and devoid of any open communication or innovative thought for fear of retribution. Attrition is high so recruitment tends to be somewhat sketchy and definitely misleading – the position I accepted on paper was at best a 10% match to what I actually did day to day. Concerns brought to HR are either dismissed or ignored completely. They are a disgrace.

Advice to Management

Not that you care, but your employees are not fools – they see that revenue is stagnant, that the “pipeline” is more like a pipe dream, and that the corporate culture that YOU'VE created is nasty and dysfunctional at best. Good luck as your best talent streams out the door.

"Unisys"

Pros

I have to write at least 5 Pros.

Cons

The rudest and most unprofessional people you will ever meet. Completely incompetent and unable to perform basic job functions. Management will ignore you on a daily basis. Some of the worst compensation in the industry.

"Senior Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales Executive in Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Sales Executive in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Unisys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some really dedicated people in the core workforce. Pay is OK if you can negotiate up front. Work from home.

Cons

Management clearly has no concern for employees. Solution Managers do not work well with sales. Everything seems to be a secret and there is no communication unless it's to threaten you. I had a very large deal with a key new logo account that we lost in the final two vendors. Feedback on why Unisys lost was watered down by multiple VPs so that SVP and CEO level get a different story that the truth. My advice would be keep looking as a sales person as the solutions are old and dated. They do not take feedback from the customers and Senior management has unrealistic expectations that are burdened by the sales executives.

Advice to Management

To all the SVPs and the CEO. Ask to speak with the Sales Executives directly on all the deals you have lost in the last year without the draconian sales leadership present and you would actually have all the answers to turn the company around.

"Only ok if you're starting your career. Stay away from this company."

Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in San Juan, PR

I worked at Unisys full-time

Pros

Met a lot of people. Exposure to all kinds of technologies. 401K. Dental and medical.

Cons

No family work balance. Management forced to work afterhours and weekend, if you refused one time the Manager literally would "show you the door" . No real lunch break allowed. Had to pay for training and certifications from my own pocket. Had to perform admin duties (eg training, expenses or reports) during my own time. Mileage pay was restricted after 1k of distance in a month and a CAP of 50% discount per mile after 1k mark, no car allowance. Use of my personal car meant subsidizing from my own money for the benefit of the company. My car would gain 35k to 40k miles in just one year.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees and comprehend what they do during their work day. Recognize the effort and hard work. Think ahead and strategize where your business is heading. Unfair expectations relating the workload, no organization existed, they would fix problems on the go and would not learn from past mistakes.

Showing 233 of 1,596 reviews