United Airlines Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

4.1
United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby (no image)
Scott Kirby
Pros
  • "Flight Benefits flexible fun outside(in 528 reviews)

• "The airline industry has excellent travel benefits(in 347 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The salaries of flight attendants could be low as starting pay(in 83 reviews)

• "upper management can be quite rude(in 76 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Airlines and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Great Company

Dec 10, 2020 - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, ability to advance

Cons

No cons to share for the position

2. 5.0

I love my job <3

May 15, 2021 - Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Extremely Flexible, Well Paying, and Free Travel!

Cons

Work holidays, you may have to move, the first few years are tough

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Friendly skies really are friendly

Aug 21, 2018 - Flight Attendant in Newark, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working for UA since February 2017 and I am absolutely loving it. This is my 4th airline to work for as a flight attendant and the people here are the biggest reason I chose UA to work at until I retire! I am overwhelmed by the welcoming atmosphere and all the fun we have on flights and layovers.

Cons

Depending on your base you might have to be on straight reserve for a while.

160 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great company with strong foundations.

Apr 28, 2021 - Flight Attendant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits Health/Dental/Eye Incentives and extra pay add up You can pretty much work whenever from wherever. Union representation saved our jobs during COVID, thanks to Sara Nelson. Great leadership

Cons

*Internal division due to merger of companies. *Very different standards in product. You may fly a brand new 787 Dreamliner with the latest technology one day, and then an obviously aging 737-700 the next. *As mentioned above, United does amazing in innovation such as their app, carbon footprint, and so forth, yet it’s still lagging their competitors in onboard product, wifi, entertainment, and connect-ability to the ground. *This job has the potential to change your life. You will experience things that most only dream of. It’s rewarding, freeing, spontaneous, and oh so fun. It is still a job though. They’ll be times of constant work, early wake-ups, drunk passengers, crying babies, difficult coworkers, and more. But it is honestly, the best job in the world and that’s why people don’t want to leave it. It’s a strong family.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Proud Employee

Apr 12, 2021 - Supplier Performance Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

United has come a long way! Once upon a time we were embarrassed to say who we work for but it's now done with a lot of pride. Senior Leadership really cares for the employees. They made tough decisions during COVID and I do believe we're in a better place to come out of it because of it. I've been here over 30 years and love it!

Cons

Wish we had more visibility to salary structures. It used to be very transparent but it hasn't been since the merger. I think it's because there is such a huge variance. It was always something they said they're working on but we still don't see it.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing Company

Apr 17, 2021 - IT Operations Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best company that I have ever worked for. The pay is fair and competitive, The flight benefits are fantastic . Good health benefits, There is plenty of room for growth and there are opportunities for advancement if you want them. The work-life balance is good. The Willis Tower office is in a good location.. It's within walking distance of Metra and CTA stations as well as close to good restaurants and shopping. United invests in innovation and is dilligently working to recruit diverse talent while also working to increase advancement opportunities for women and minorities that are currently there. I'm proud to work for an industry leader.

Cons

It would be nice to see a tuition reimbursement plan introduced in the near future.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

33 Happy Years at United Airlines

Apr 27, 2021 - Flight Attendant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed my years at United. Inflight in Denver truly felt like my other family. I enjoyed the camaraderie, teamwork & friendships. I had a sense of belonging. The greatest joys were the positive comments made by passengers as they deplaned. It was nice knowing I was a positive light in someone's day.

Cons

Management made great strides in my years at United. Especially during COVID, they have been very transparent in their approach to keeping the company in survival mode. The Inflight management team in Denver was efficient, professional & a lot of fun. They were always helpful & supportive.I really don't have anything negative to say.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Exciting and challenging work. A company who wants to improve but doesn’t always seem to know how to get us there.

Apr 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation structure is very fair. Challenging work. Decent growth opportunities and ability to change roles into areas of interest if you’re a high performer and well-networked. Ability to meaningfully contribute, if you’re in the right role with the right leaders.

Cons

Internal politics, sometimes to an exhausting degree. Competing priorities, and to some extent, factions within the company. Executive leaders share a similar leadership mentality / style, which results in a large population of similarly minded individuals being placed into positions of power, occasionally to the company’s detriment.

9. 5.0

Industry Leading Leadership with a Clear Vision

May 9, 2021 - Pilot in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture of innovation and inclusion. Very good and frequent communication from upper management.

Cons

The airline industry can be very cyclical, sometimes you have to roll with the punches.

10. 5.0

Best job ever

May 13, 2021 - International Flight Attendant in Newark, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing health benefits, free flights, great co workers and flexibility

Cons

Unpredictable with the airlines Covid

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,909 Reviews