United Airlines Supervisor - Airport Operations Reviews | Glassdoor

Supervisor - Airport Operations

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The culture is still rocky because the merger with Continental is still not complete (in 25 reviews)

• A lot of people work at one station so it can be challenging to be noticed by upper management (in 48 reviews)

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines (More than a year)

Pros

Great job with awesome coworkers. If you're used to union workers then you will do good here. Great pay and benefits

Cons

Union, winter is cold! You want to have prior airline management experience before you start here, they pretty much give you a clipboard and say here you go

2. "A fast paced decision oriented environment with highly committed and loyal employees"

Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee friendly, Leadership engaged, many opportunities for advancement, leadership training courses and yearly corporate sponsored conferences. Travel benefits, profit sharing and pay raises based on performance is fair

Cons

Fast Paced, multi-task oriented with quick decision making that affects many different departments as well as internal and external customers. Long sitting times, multiple computers software enhancements which makes work difficult

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

3. "Airport Operations Coordinator"

Former Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at United Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many career opportunities within the organization.

Cons

Horrible work enviornment created by management

Advice to Management

Be more supportive

4. "Decent Company"

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great travel benefits. Big network for traveling. Wonderful, hardworking people.

Cons

No interest in promoting from within. Former Continental employees seem to be getting all the upper Management jobs.

5. "A company rhat needs many repairs to human capital, change management and behaviors in diversity."

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO has been endorsed by the working population and is heading in the right direction.

Cons

Too many silos still exist from the sub United side of the merger which need to be broken down. These represent the arrogance that got this company into bankruptcy in the first place.

"Not the great airline it once was, but still a great place to work."

Former Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations/Ramp Supervisor in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations/Ramp Supervisor in Dulles, VA

I worked at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, ability to trade on and off shifts, flight benefits. I had the opportunity to work in almost every department and in numerous stations, both domestic and international. I've worked on both the labor and management sides of the company. Overall, despite all of the negatives, I have never more thoroughly enjoyed any other work experience. Although the climate has changed a great deal since the merger, I'd still recommend UA as a great place to work if you are a plane and airline junkie like me. I am now out of the industry, and not a day goes by that I don't miss something about it.

Cons

Leadership issues. Downsizing by outsourcing work to non UA employees and companies. Sometimes excessively long hours (involuntary hold over). Pay is on the low side.

Advice to Management

Learn how to get out of your own way.

"Interview and hiring process were a little haphazard."

Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was very glad to be accepted for a supervisory postion within United at O'Hare. I consider myself very luck to be involved in the operation so close to the center of the United world network. The pay structure is competitive, the culture is welcoming and encourages teamwork, and the office is pleasant.

Cons

From my initial application to the training process, being onboarded as a Supervisor - SOC Zone Controller has been occasionally difficult to navigate. While I understand that there are many simaultaneous personnel shifts happening within the department at once, I feel like I would have appreciated greater proactive involvement from management in the onboarding process.

Advice to Management

The welcome packet could stand to be improved and updated. I would like to see more detailed information on time off requests and how vacation works. The job shadowing is exceedingly helpful and should continue.

United Airlines Response

Apr 17, 2014

Thank you for your insightful review of United. We are working to improve onboarding efforts across the company. This review will help us in further discussions.

8. "Great company and exciting operation, with a lot of career opportunities."

Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely exciting company that offers a lot of career opportunities to grow from within. Leadership mentors those who want to rise within the company and the overall culture is excellent. A truly awesome company to work for and a lot of fun.

Cons

Management salary is often based off previous salary compared to competitive salary among new position, even if that means a considerably lower salary.

9. "Salaries and processes have gone backwards in time"

Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations
    Current Employee - Supervisor - Airport Operations

I have been working at United Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with. Would have said flight benefits, but they are hard to use anymore.

Cons

Pay and benefits are far less than those you manage. Fear of senior management.

Advice to Management

Provide "dignity and respect" to your management staff. Pay according to contributions and benefits equal to union represented co-workers. Actually should be above what the union represented co-workers are provided as we are "at will" employees.

10. "United Airlines, IAD"

Former Employee - Supervisor, Airport Operations in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor, Airport Operations in Dulles, VA

Pros

A great company with a wonderful worlwide route structure. Lots of opportunity to travel. The mid-level supervisory staff generally does a good job in taking care of the customer contact employees (some much more so than others!).

Cons

Unfortunately, promotion is still based on who you know versus what you know and how well you do your job. As with any "administration transition", when new station management takes over, current management personnel are let go-often under very curious circumstances-in order to free up positions for former colleagues and friends of the new administration. The pay rate is lower for tenured management employees than it is for new hire management employees with less experience and seniority.

Advice to Management

Manage your valuable resources - frontline employees - better; let them know that you place a high value on what they do. Don't mire them down in projects that neither improve the customer experience or the bottom line. Improve the flow of information from the top.