United Allergy Services Reviews | Glassdoor

United Allergy Services Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You get to work at high level with an entry level job (in 32 reviews)

• One-on-one allergy patient care (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • At times, feels more like a sales job versus a healthcare job (in 24 reviews)

• This takes my focus away from patient care (in 15 reviews)

1. "Clinical Allergy Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible, great communication, rewarding, and safety first efforts.

Cons

tedious, tiring, repetitive, time consuming tasks

"Great start up company."

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Denton, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a fast growing company with many opportunities for advancement. The midmanagement is very leiniant and there is not a lot of micromanaging.

Cons

It is a fast growing company, so unfortunately there has been a fairly high turnover rate. It takes a while for your word/thoughts to get to upper management.

Advice to Management

Work with your money makers, not your money spenders. CATs/CASs literally make all of your money. Your focus on spending should been directly oriented around them. Increase benefits, increase wages. The company works on a tiered system yet the tiers are flip flopped.

"Clinical Allergy Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Liaison in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Allergy Services full-time

Pros

Great entry level job and they train you even if you lack medical experience. You make your own schedule and it is pretty flexible. You create your own relationships with doctors and office staff so the job is what you make it. The company does a really great job at building you as an individual and is a relatively new company and is very progressive. Since it is a newer company there are many opportunities for promotions if you pursue them and work hard.

Cons

Management if off site, so you have to manage your own time and allergy center. If you need a more structured environment this may be a con for you, on the other end if you prefer not to be micromanaged this can be great! I have been told the position has aspects of a sales-job, but personally I never felt this was ture. You will have goals to meet each month, but since management if off site, if you were not given goals I am not sure how there would be any accountability. The goals are not unattainable and management always helps you reach them if you are struggling.

Advice to Management

Possibly consider creating more management positions. One individual may handle many different clinics, so creating more positions could allow management to spend more time with clinics and employees.

5. "Implementation Specialist"

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in McKinney, TX

I worked at United Allergy Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to travel all over the country.

Cons

I wasn't compensated appropriately for the hours I was putting in.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

"Nice if just starting out!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Benefits, work home balance, freedom

Cons

Continuously changing CEOs, high turnover

Advice to Management

Communication is key!

"Clinical Allergy Specialist"

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at United Allergy Services (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job, good pay, gives experience in the medical field.

Cons

Very repetitive, production based, can get reprimanded for lack of numbers when its solely based on provider referrals.

"Do not bother"

Former Employee - CAS in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - CAS in Dallas, TX

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -autonomous work environment, very little interference from management
    -good resume building (clinical experience, pharmaceutical sales)

Cons

Dear lord where do I start? My first issue is they're really good at luring you in with an all-expense paid trip to San Antonio for training and receiving certification and blah blah. The pay rate is well below the going rate for someone with years of clinical experience and a bachelor's degree in health care. I was offended by that, but they said after 90 days of employment there are opportunities for raises. Then, at training we were informed that was not the case.

The job duties are ridiculous. Not only are you doing all the allergy testing (takes up to an hour per patient), you are also doing injection and education visits (10-60 mins), and mixing medications for the allergy shots which can take all day depending on how many have been ordered. Aside from all this, you are also expected to screen through the clinics patient loads to find good candidates, call them out of the blue to tell them they need an allergy test (highly unethical without official physician referral), schedule them, verify insurance coverage, and do about 8000 pages of paperwork per patient and upload all documents to both their software and clinic EMR. Then, you're also responsible for maintaining lab equipment, maintaining stocks of all supplies and extracts, and tracking quantities and expiration dates on everything. For 15 dollars an hour in Dallas?! Hell no.

There are process checklists for every action you perform. Highly micromanaged. The checklists are there for patient safety, but many components are unrealistic and redundant. QA will dock you for not doing everything down to writing your dates with slashes instead of dashes. This takes my focus away from patient care.

It's basically insurance fraud. We are expected to tell patients (who trust you as a health care professional on their care team) that they need to commit to 3 years of allergy shots even if they have one measly small reaction. We're not supposed to select diagnosis codes since we're not doctors, but I'm forced to every day because there is no organization in these clinics with UAS. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you're a new grad and need some experience, get in and get out as soon as possible. Otherwise stay away.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Great for new college grads, but not for long term goals."

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Plano, TX

I worked at United Allergy Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the hands-off management approach. You get a lot of independence in your clinics to organize and run things how you want. Since you work mostly in traditional family practice offices, your hours are usually m-f closing around 5 pm.

Cons

The clinical processes are very micro-managed. I understand that some of those processes prevent mistakes from being made and ensure patient safety, and those processes are great. HOWEVER, if QA is there you will get docked for using military time instead of writing am/pm, not using dd/mm/yyyy format on ALL dates, or writing the wrong combination of words that literally mean the exact same thing. VERY nitpicky stuff. It's obvious that the person that makes the process checklists hasn't ever worked the clinical side of health care. Some of the processes are very unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in your clinics understanding what is realistic for your CAS'. Also, focus your QA efforts on patient safety and patient care rather than wasting energy on micromanaging if your employees use dashes or backslashes to write dates. Also, military time is the acceptable format in every other clinical environment. It is efficient and leaves no guesswork of whether a time was am or pm.

"Run"

Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in Davenport, IA

Pros

As far as I have seen and read there are no pros to being part of this company.

Cons

This company is ridiculous they expect you to know all the information in one day that they crammed into your head. They speak about unity that when you were concerned for your fellow classmate they tell you not to worry about them or anyone else it's all about you, which I understand to an extent, but when you're showing compassion for a fellow classmate then they should acknowledge that and they should see that you do care for others. They preach this rise up value and they don't even practice it themselves.

11. "Great"

Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Allergy Specialist in El Paso, TX

Pros

The company is very flexible.

Cons

The company has had a few restructures.

Advice to Management

Management does not keep in touch too often