United America Indemnity Reviews | Glassdoor

United America Indemnity Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Found 2 reviews

3.4
United America Indemnity CEO Larry A. Frakes (no image)
Larry A. Frakes
  1. "Good Company"

in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at United America Indemnity

Pros

The people are great. The types of business that we write is very varied and therefore there is never a dull moment. Always looking at new types of business and this keeps the claims recieved very varied. Nothing is mundane which is what makes it a interesting place to work.

Cons

The company use to be known as an excess/surplus company and had a specific niche in the market and it seems now we are writing everything. We seem to do all but now profient at all anymore.

Advice to Management

Sometimes think we have two many chiefs and not enough indians to get the work done.

United America Indemnity2010-10-11
  2. "Decent place to work but it seems like they are positioning the company for a sale."

Former Employee - Director

I worked at United America Indemnity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits, PTO, paperless workplace, decent work-life balance.

Cons

For being and Excess & Surplus lines carrier, they are very conservative in their underwriting. Knee jerk reactions to claims activity. Hiring employees outside their main office was a cumbersome process and they make no regional adjustments for salaries. Underwriting systems are horrible and are a legacy from the prior senior management's bad decision, yet they won't dedicate resources to either properly fix it... nor replace it.

Advice to Management

Stop letting Mr. Fox and the Board make all the decisions. Buy some reinsurance and quit overreacting to loss activity. With the business you're in, you should expect at least some volatility. Encourage employee development and decide where you are going as a company once and for all.

United America Indemnity2014-07-08