United Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Michail

1. "Good Company"

Pros

Good company. This company is perfect for those who possess an entrepreneurial spirit. The company supports fully its people and products and gives everyone an opportunity to be successful. The opportunity for advancement is almost unlimited and with its growth offers everyone a chance to grow personally and professionally with the company. The company in very generous in terms of salary, bonus and benefits. In addition to the compensation, the company is always willing to invest in those people who are willing to contribute to its long term success. This is a great place to start a career and grow with the company.

Cons

There are lots of growth opportunities, you get what you invest into your position.

2. "Amazing Workplace and Growing Company"

I have been working at United Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am proud to say that I have been with United Brands for over 6 years; this is a great company to work for. The Company’s culture, direction and continued growth not only makes it an amazing place to work, but a place where I have been able to grow professionally as a team player and individual.

The CEO is approachable; understanding to challenges faced with day to day activities, and proactively works to better the life of all employees, professionally and personally. He has a true passion for his work, and provides individuals with direct one on one time access, to reach and exceed their overall goals, and assist in any way that he can. His knowledge of our industry and customers as a whole is second to none.

One aspect I truly appreciate with this company is the ability to bring previous influences, creativity, and your own “style” to your work, to allow you to excel with your responsibilities. Outside of the box thinking is encouraged, and I appreciate that everyone’s ideas and thoughts are heard and discussed, for the betterment of the company.

I consider myself extremely lucky to be here, and look forward to our continued success.

Cons

As with any career, there are hurdles and challenges to overcome to be successful and strive, you have to be willing to put in your all, to received desired results.

"Why do I work here"

I have been working at United Brands full-time

Pros

Close to where I live. That's it.

Cons

Not an ethical company.

Advice to Management

Retire.

5. "Great Company and opportunity"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at United Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at this company now for 5 years and I have to say that there is a great opportunity for growth, both in job position as well as income potential. United Brands has the very best tasting products on the market which makes our job easier, especially being a smaller brewer compared to many other of the larger brewers. If you are self motivated and accept nothing less than winning, then this company offers great opportunities. The challenge for many is that they do not have this attitude and therefore are unsuccessful not only with this company, but any company where they may land. This is a great company to work for and I a proud to be here.

Cons

As with any organizations, there are ups and downs. I can assure you that if you are a hard worker and self motivated, then you will be successful at United Brands. I can also assure you that the negative comments are from the previous employees that would expect a large paycheck but not put forth the effort to grow the business, therefore they no longer work here and feel they must blame the CEO to feel better about themselves. Any CEO from any company has to be tough at times and when an employee is not performing, must make a decision to eliminate the bad apples in the barrel. This company is no different in that aspect. I can also say that the CEO has given many employees the benefit of the doubt and allowed them more chances and opportunities than I would have at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and producing the best products on the market.

"Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at United Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have never been associated with a company that has allowed so much room for growth at all levels and positions. The company has a fast paced, high energy environment, that presents new challenges daily, which allows a person to utilize their full capabilities. I have been with the company for over 5 years, and I am proud to be a part of United Brands.

Cons

I am writing this post, not only to affirm my feelings and connection with the company, but to make sure the company is not viewed in a bad light. I have recently been introduced to glassdoor.com from a friend, and after reviewing, I noticed some of the negative complaints that have been left. I would like it to be known that a majority, if not all, have been placed by a disgruntled ex-employee, and I would hate to see it scare off any potential candidates from pursuing a career here.

If I did have to say a con, it is that you will have to be motivated, resilient, and be a leader, if that is not your style, and you do not come ready to work hard, this would not be the best fit.

"Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative/Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative/Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at United Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with this company part time for several years. I enjoy working here and like the people I work with, including the CEO. There are good relationships between employees and room to progress in the company as long as you have motivation and drive. The CEO treata employees like family, and it is very much a family oriented company, not a nig impersonal corporation where the CEO doesn't know your name. I am confused by the negative reviews, because that has never been my experience.

Cons

I haven't experienced negatives. I do know that the CEO values loyalty and hard work, and if you aren't up for that, you won't experience the rewards of working here.

"Don't buy into the Snake Oil!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at United Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely NONE! I would say the travel points but with the B.S. you have to put up with to get travel approved and the scrutiny, I'll pay full price for a hotel every now and then...

Cons

Where do I start... I could just say "everything" but that really wouldn't do the hell you endure while you're employed at "United" Brands any justice. Starts with a bipolar-schizophrenic-paranoid speech about how Joose and the ownership revolutionized the beer industry. If this "lecture" had any credibility then the same could be said for the "Spork" and how the kitchen wouldn't exist without it. Believe it or not, it only gets worse from there. Absolutely no support, misguided and unrealistic objectives (if any before they fire you), grandiose ideas that if you have a week and a half in the industry you know are ridiculous, no planning, no market strategy for existing or new items, a complete "yes team" around ownership, a gossip driven/back stabbing company culture than is lead from the VERY top, and last but not least.... No one (at least the ones I've spoken to from coast to coast) has ever received the compensation package that was promised to them prior to signing the deal with the devil! If that's not enough for you, the segment that these guys say they "dominate" is evaporating like armadillo p#ss in the Texas sun.

Advice to Management

Top Management - The people you are so willing dis-guard because of misguided information, a complete lack of understanding about the industry, a complete lack of respect for partnerships that are so vital, and generally if the wind blows in a certain direction have families, lives, careers, aspirations, loyalty, ethics, integrity, and really just would like a good job at a fair pay that they can appreciate like the company should appreciate them. Quit collecting a pay check and screwing up peoples livelihoods and lives for something that you had a multi-million budget to create a long time ago.

CEO - just get out of the business and count your money. You give hard working, honest, humble "beer guys" a bad name!

"Do work here"

I worked at United Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not one single pro.

Cons

I can not stress enough.....do not work here. No respect. Reimbursements not honored. Bonuses never given. You are expected to be available 24/7. If you requested Christmas Eve off and you get a call to fly across the country that night for a meeting the next morning, you are expected to comply. If you mother is sick and has been in the hospital for 3 days, expect your boss to call to chew you out, asking why you are not on the road working.

"Is it possible to give negative stars? This place is a joke!"

I worked at United Brands full-time

Pros

There are absolutely ZERO good things about working at this place. A clown college would be more organized and rewarding.

Cons

The CEO is possibly the poorest excuse for a decent human being I've ever met. He lies, stabs people in the back and would probably screw over ANYONE for a dollar. He makes the final call on every decision yet will blame all others for his mistakes and throw anyone under the bus to make himself look better. Benefits, bonuses and commissions get cut but he flaunts his lavish lifestyle in front of employees. Everything is last minute and disorganized from meetings to new products. No concern or respect for employees personal time. Nothing but constant stress and aggravation that will take years off your life.

Advice to Management

Only advice is to current employees. Get out as quick as you can.

"Like to be verbally abused, paid late, lied to and work for a company that will make you compromise your integrity?"

Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at United Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only "Pro" about this company is the people working there. Good guys & Gals that deserve much much more and my heart goes out to them that they have to deal with the stress and emotional roller coaster that goes on with working there day in and day out. I will also add that the product is good, probably the best liquid in the high ABV category... but you will NEVER see the CEO drinking it...

Cons

Where do I start? Get the popcorn because working at United Brands is like watching a reality TV series with the perfect mix of drama, lies and bad humor. Would you enjoy working for a pathological liar, self-absorbed, verbally abusive, manipulating bipolar story telling owner who lives in his former glory and has no real compassion for his employees? How many times can you burn a bridge and still cross it? Well folks, at United Brands you will not only burn bridges... you will be asked to rebuild them with no tools. If you can't rebuild the bridge you will still be asked to swim across a raging river that even Mr. Phelps (most decorated Olympic swimmer) couldn't cross without any flotation device and risk drowning at the company's expense. You will put your reputation on the line and in the end the only thing you will get from working there is a scar on your resume, damaged distributor relationships and time wasted that you can't get back... Unless you have a DeLorean that is.

Have a family? No problem, at United Brands they want you to enjoy your family. You will be asked to change your plans at the drop of a dime to travel to another market for an entire work week, sometimes as little as 2-3 days’ notice. The best part is that Monday and Friday ARE NOT travel days at United Brands.. In fact you will be expected to travel on your personal time, well after 4pm. Wait, it gets better... refill your popcorn if you need to.... Since you will constantly be changing your well planned calendar last minute constantly, you will miss your kids sporting events, anniversary's, birthdays, important distributor meetings that you've had planned for weeks and any other commitments you may have had to customers/wholesalers etc.

Do you enjoy being paid late when the mortgage is due? Again, this is the place for you. I've never worked for a company in my 25+ professional years that had so many issues with paying their employees on time. Everything will be paid late at some point in your wonderful time working at United Brands. Salary, Car Allowance, Commissions and fictional quarterly bonus checks that you might receive but probably not. Don't worry...United Brands will explain that it's ADPs fault without taking any of the blame. From time to time even company gas cards will be shut off and you will be hung with expensing gas receipts out of pocket for company travel. Again, don’t worry… it’s probably not their fault, most likely a problem with the company that issues the cards. Also, don't question if you've earned your bonus or when you’ll receive it, this will only make you look greedy and unappreciative. Then again, you will never know how to earn your bonus because you're never told. This way the company will never have to pay it but hold it over your head as motivation to work harder.

The CEO of this company is a great salesman, selling you a false sense of hope and major upside with brands that are laughed at by distributor partners behind closed doors. There's a high horse that the CEO rides when he will venture into one of his "I started this category" or "we are the leaders" glory stories. You will always be chasing the past and be held to goals that are only obtainable with a budget, proper planning and good working business relationships (all of which you won’t have). The only thing the CEO cares about is beating the competition because he lost to the competition in the market years ago and hasn't ever fully recovered. Most men would rather deny a hard truth then face it and this speaks volumes to the feeling you will get working at United Brands. It too will consume you until your focus will be on the competition, instead of moving forward and finding effective ways to grow the business for United Brands and their distributor partners.

Please do your homework on this company before you accept any offers... I saw to many good people come and go there. The company will use you if your reputation in the industry is A+ then will throw you out like trash when it’s been decided you're not getting the job done fast enough. Working at United Brands is like reliving your biggest failures in life over and over every day. You will be EXPECTED to produce yesterday. If you don't, you will eventually be put you down, verbally abused and sometimes even in front of other employees. You will go home every night taking out your frustrations on your family and begin to compromise your integrity. If you do preform, you will be glorified and will they boast about your achievements on conference calls making everyone else feel worthless and unaccomplished. Don't even think to disagree with the company either, otherwise they will single you out on company wide calls and get everyone to side with them making you look like an insubordinate employee. Keeping your mouth shut is the best practice at this company and any invitation to speak freely or share your opinion is a trap to expose how you really feel. Want to keep your job, keep your mouth shut.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING at United Brands is last minute. Travel, new item launches, company wide meetings, conference calls etc. United Brands wastes more money changing flights, hotels and other commitments than you could ever imagine. Again, don't worry... when you do travel you will be asked to stay in a hotel for $100 or less while the CEO will stay in a suite. Sometimes, you will even have to share rooms with another employee leaving you with no privacy at the end of a long exhausting work day. If you're reading this you may be asking yourself how anyone could work there and endure such torment. Well simply put, they have to. When you sign up with United Brands it's like selling your soul to the devil and agreeing to live in hell.

My hope is that the CEO himself will read this and one day and realize he owes every loyal employee still there and distributor partner that does business with him an apology. Take some responsibility for your actions. Own up to your mistakes. Repay your debts, no matter how old they are. Pay your people what you committed to on time every time for what they have put their blood sweat and tears into helping you build. Stop living the “Lavish Life” in front of everyone when employees are putting groceries on credit cards because checks are late. Allow someone who knows how to run a functional business run your business before you destroy the remaining "semi good" relationships you have left. Again, let the people you hire do the job you've hired them for, they’re most likely making better business decisions that are beneficial for the company then you are.

United Brands is not respected in the industry but laughed at and it's apparent every time they throw their weight around and don't get what they want. What goes around comes around and the only reason it hasn't fully came around to United Brands is that your people end up taking the fall on your behalf.

On that note I’m going to end my review with a quote I read on the internet that reminded me of my days at United Brands and prompted me to go into such a detailed review of my experience there. “Successful people are always looking for opportunities to help others. Unsuccessful people are always asking, “What’s in it for me”

As soon as the CEO stops having a selfish mindset that everything is about “something being owed to him” United Brands will be successful and start to repair the bridges that have been destroyed.

Advice to Management

Stop taking management positions to grow your paycheck. United Brands will never change until the CEO gets a real eye opening "heart to heart" from his most trusted senior management. Unfortunately per the usual, they will all tell him what he wants to hear so nothing will ever change.