United Capital Financial Advisers Reviews | Glassdoor

Joseph J. Duran

1. "Admin Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture. Average benefits package. Reasonable work hours with flexible schedule. Overall, positive experience.

Cons

Work from home would be a better fit. Work flow is sparatic. Competitive salary would be a better fit for position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work building a great firm. Consider offering a bit more of a competitive salary.

2. "Unprofessional!"

Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Irving, TX

I worked at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food. They'll give you a heads up threat to find another job if you don't fit into the bubble.

Cons

Unprofessionalism, poor management, horrible HR, lots of favoritism, drug usage, and extreme bullying (from managers) in the worst way. No diversity in management,.......Racism still exists. Managers bash employees behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

The entire Dallas office as well as HR department needs to be revamped. Company should consider exit interviews.

3. "Terrible benefits, corrupt management, corporate perks"

Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary and corporate perks are the only pros.

Cons

There is poor leadership. Both management and HR are corrupt. There are many ethical violations that occur daily due to favoritism and bullying.

Advice to Management

New HRM staff is needed to fully restaff the Dallas Hub.

5. "The Mission sounds great, the reality is quite different."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time

Pros

There are some really good people that I worked with that made it fun. (My peers) They're good quality people.

Cons

They brand themselves as anti corporate, but they are exactly what the corporate mind set is. Beauracracy and politics. They change directions and company goals like we change socks. With no notice, no valued input from the staff.
    They waste tons of money, and time having people triplicate efforts. They need a much better workflow system. They see cancers in the team and they do nothing to rid themselves of those people. They just move them around from office to office,department to department hoping they'll improve, and they never do. They're reluctant to change. So much about what they do is obsolete but they won't change it because that'll mean more experienced staff will have to learn something different. Smh!

Advice to Management

You've had a lot of people try to improve your company and instead of moving toward change you've hung on to the old ways and people that have gotten you into this mess. Have the courage to make the changes you need to make. Even when they're hard. You have a great vision but you'll never execute it to the fullest the way you operate now.

6. "Disappointment and deceit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time

Pros

Conceptually, this company is perfect. Very forward thinking ideas and constantly striving for improvement. Unfortunately, this is conceptually and not the reality.

Cons

When the company hired a new manager to take this location in a new direction and reorganize, he passed constructive criticism on to the lower/middle management. I actually listened to two of the lower/middle managers talk about how it did not apply to them and contemplate who the new manager must be talking about. And that is the exact problem of this company. When they should be absorbing the criticism and aiming to be better, they are pointing fingers and refusing to change because they do not see their own flaws.

This was also the first company where I had ever heard management say that they were paid too much to do a task. The majority of the work is passed down to lower staff while management cherishes being the face of the department instead of caring about the success of the team. Staff is kept in the dark on decisions and changes which leaves them feeling lied to and with little trust in their managers. I saw so much carrot dangling of managers telling staff that they would get a promotion to motivate employees, but in the end the managers used the momentum of the staff for their own gain and promotion.

The culture is presented as if they value the employee during the interview process and as if they are a progressive company, but the truth arises quickly after starting. They are looking to get as many hours for as little compensation as possible. Low pay, expensive benefits. No working from home, even though it is very possible for the job description and the California location gets this benefit.

Advice to Management

Be open with staff to allow them to accept and process changes that are coming. This should give them time to embrace the change and get behind it leading to a stronger sense of team mission.

When you hear general criticism or even criticism about someone else, the first thing someone should do is consider how it applies to themselves. Ask how you can better yourself in that aspect.

No one should be too good to help with any role. That is the whole point of the word team.

Employees are a companies biggest asset. Treat them like it.

"Content Employee"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time

Pros

Working with clients is great as well as the UC support

Cons

Benefits Stink. I hope they can get better health options as they grow.

Advice to Management

I do not have any advice. I do believe they are trying their best to make it a good place to work. I could nit pick, but there is no perfect workplace.

"Good company, some bad apples mixed in"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership really cares about treating people well, and the company is ethically sound, which is important in the finance industry. They are an innovator, and if you have contributing they will listen to you.

Cons

Poor follow-through on some projects. The managing directors egos are allowed to dominate the firm's actions,and they are ego maniacs. The compliance department,and other departments are sorely understaffed due to high growth, and the pay is pretty low vs what I expected.

Advice to Management

Limit influence of the MDs and get some new blood into executive management

"Rapidly Growing Company"

Former Employee - Manager of Operations in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager of Operations in Dallas, TX

Pros

United Capital is growing incredibly quickly and that provided me with a lot of opportunity to learn new things and grow within my position. Very tech heavy company that is on the leading edge which is cool thing to be a part of. Good work/life balance.

Cons

I hope the benefits catch up to all of the growth. They are also rolling out a lot of new stuff which makes it hard to catch your breath.

Advice to Management

Keep beefing up benefit plans as you get bigger.

"An employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

United Capital is a fantastic company to work for. The atmosphere we offer is similar to that of a tech company. We're offering new opportunities in financial planning for our clients. I highly recommend the company to any one interested in an opportunity with unlimited growth!

Cons

I would say our biggest con is that the company is still young and changing. However, the change is positive and is important to compete in our industry.

Advice to Management

I would like to see an increase to the matching 401(k) %.

11. "Typical Investment Firm"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at United Capital Financial Advisers full-time

Pros

Fast growing company with opportunities.

Cons

Low pay for the industry.

Advice to Management

Remember the importance of the admins and support staff.