United Church of Christ Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic Experience"

Current Employee - Finance Secretary in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Secretary in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at United Church of Christ part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I received a lot of support and training. Council votes on everything I do and as long as I follow their decisions, I don't have to worry about making choices that may not work well.

Cons

Volunteer position so no pay.

Advice to Management

Make sure Council Meetings are concise and extra work is done before so the meeting does not last too long.

2. "Administration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at United Church of Christ full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, medical paid by employers

Cons

Politics, uncertainty of job security

3. "Wonderful opportunities, wonderful people"

Current Intern - Global Mission in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Intern - Global Mission in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at United Church of Christ as an intern

Pros

I was able to travel the world and be a part of wonderful work the church participates in. Currently working in their disaster ministry. Over the last two and a half years I have been able to develop skills I obtained after college.

Cons

It can be emotionally exhausting. Stipend pay.

4. "Great organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at United Church of Christ full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful organization to work for! This denomination is moving forward in so many ways. The work environment is very supportive, and co-workers are very passionate about their job and this organization.

Cons

The benefits and compensation aren't as desirable as a for-profit company. However, the supportive work environment and organized mission make up for it. As with many organizations, the hours are long.

5. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

The benefits are wonderful. Even though you might not make the same kind of salary you would in corporate environment it's almost made up for since all of the premiums on the plans are paid for.

Cons

Most of the executive management are elected clergy and might not necessarily have any business or management experience. That is great if you are clergy, but if you are a process oriented person and if you are admin rather than program staff your boss may ask you to do things they don't fully understand the scope of, which can make any kind of planning difficult. I also see many admin or "business oriented" staff and especially contractors exploit this.

Advice to Management

Understand employees as they grow and their value in the real world. Hire contractors that have a proven track record and trust in them, not just the smooth talkers.

6. "Great Job - Poor Pay"

Current Employee - Pastor in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Pastor in Hartford, CT

Pros

For all the reasons anyone goes into ministry, and then some, the UCC is a great place to join a small congregation in the real tasks of ministering to a community, without restrictions on who's "in" or "out." The denomination's well-earned reputation for inclusivity is reflectied in its many ONA (Open and Affirming) and Just Peace congregations.

Cons

Because is is a "bottom-up" polity - sort of "each office independently owned and operated" - the advantages of the larger denomination are not always evident in the local congregation. Each congregation is free to participate as it likes in national and global emphases - or not at all.

Advice to Management

No thanks.

7. "Great Work Environment"

I worked at United Church of Christ part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, encouraging space, friendly, flexible schedules. A great place to work if you want to make a difference in people's lives and be involved in social justice and non-profits. Obviously the jobs vary depending on each church and office environment.

Cons

Depending on the office, people tend to be on the older side (unless you find a church with a younger staff) and it can be a difficult place for a young/starting professional. Better if you plan on going into ministry or christian education as a career.

Advice to Management

Management at my church was very good, if a little controlling in their procedures (as with any larger company).

8. "Accepting of all life styles"

Pros

Churches are generally open to all.

Cons

The red tape is annoying.