United Nations Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kathy Calvin

Pros
  • great benefits, positive work culture (in 12 reviews)

• Great place to work with very passionate people and they often hire internally (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are generally very out of touch, which results in extremely high turnover in certain departments (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management says they are working to improve this (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good workplace morale, tone-deaf leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The organization does lots of little things to help employees feel valued and supported

Cons

Executive leadership pays lipservice to listening to lower level staff but ultimately barrels ahead on what they want to do, even when advised otherwise by other staff and consultants

Advice to Management

Narrow focus of mission, actually listen to your employees concerns

2. "Intern"

Pros

Great working environment with friendly staff.

Cons

Internship stipends are not provided

"Working at UNF"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at United Nations Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

UNF is very generous with their benefit package

Cons

Lack of diversity in Sr. Management. Lack of transparency.

"Good benefits but not much else"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: excellent health insurance, vacation and personal days, transport allowance and retirement plan.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the beautiful building and the fancy conference rooms. Sadly, this place has not lived up to it's expectation. While UNF has a noble mission of achieving the SDGs, however, the way they treat their staff doesn't leave much to be desired.

I think my biggest gripe with UNF is their lack of transparency, integrity and honesty in how they treat their employees. There is nothing egalitarian about UNF. Senior management is extremely hierarchical; some of the projects housed under UNF don't really have an on-boarding process, people work all hours of the day and night; senior directors and, and those that are friends with the senior leadership are treated differently than the rest of the staff. Those who have the right connections can get away with murder while the rest can get penalized for even the smallest mistake. There is little to no mentorship, some supervisors look for opportunities to sabotage their supervisees instead of mentoring them or helping them succeed. There is no performance improvement plan for employees to follow at UNF.

Advice to Management

Create accountability and transparency. Treat people you hire with respect. It would be nice for UNF to actually show impact by doing things, rather than only focusing on communications and PR.

"great benefits, positive work culture"

Pros

great benefits, positive work culture

Cons

bureaucratic and overly focused on communications as opposed to substantive work

Advice to Management

focus more on contributing to tangible outcomes and tracking these outcomes through solid metrics, instead of PR

7. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good exposure to the foundation and to UN agencies in DC. Well developed intern program includes lunchtime events with interns of other UN programs, led by professions in the fields of environmentalism, humanitarian/refugee efforts, development, etc. The offices are fancy and the other interns are fun!

Cons

Hard to integrate with teams other than your own. Unpaid internships only make it hard to live in DC. Do not expect a salaried position from your internship (but do expect networking opportunities).

Advice to Management

Pay your interns. They work hard!

"Fine"

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

The staff is smart. I met some great people while working at UNF and still have a great relationships with several people.

Cons

Growth opportunities are very limited. Additionally, it is clear that "favorites" get promoted while others who do great work never rally advance. Like most non-profits, the higher levels of the team are dominated by men, despite the women and girls focus of the organization. Finally, opportunities for grown for people of color flat out don't exist.

Advice to Management

More focus on the substance of the work.

9. "Digital Media"

Former Employee - Digital Media in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Digital Media in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at UNF as an intern and was offered a full-time position after my internship finished. Working in the digital space we have always looked at the glassdoor reviews from time to time and as I am leaving I decided to rate my own job. I have really enjoyed my time, work and colleagues, the program I worked on was great and I personally believe I really made a difference - sad and hard to leave.

Cons

It's a shame that the foundation does not pay its interns anymore ( I was one of the last groups of paid interns).

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my job and the team I worked with. Thanks for the benefits, Kathy Calvin is a great CEO.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at UNF, I was a Senior Associate and worked there for 3 years. Place in my opinion is awesome, fast paced, energetic and lots of fun. The place was BUSY and by that I mean you will have to run to keep up. Once I got myself aligned and knew what was expected of me I really enjoyed it. Learnt a TON about international development, made some great contacts and I will take that experience with me.

Cons

Can't really think of any, maybe if you are not quick enough to keep up it might be a bit frustrating?

Advice to Management

Thanks for 3 years, good luck in the future, I didn't know a whole lot about the UN before I started but know I feel like I have done a degree in UN studies.

11. "Cleaning up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy working here, its busy, lots to do and more to learn. I have been here for around 7 years and have seen some changes. Lately a few bad managers have 'left' (mine was one of them) which is great, hopefully I will have a few more opportunities here.

Cons

Should have gotten rid of the bad managers long ago, having said that at least its done so lets get on with it.

Advice to Management

I do not have a lot of interaction with executive management. My NEW manager is great, pay is good, benefits are great.