United Nations Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Kathy Calvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great colleagues, diverse areas of work, great benefits (in 16 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, good work-life balance, kind and caring co-workers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Hierarchical, lacks transparency in decision-making (in 4 reviews)

• Lacks diversity in leadership and senior management (in 4 reviews)

"The best job in the best organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The UN foundation is an amazing place, working daily with these people is indeed a privilege.
    I have worked in a few non-profits and other organizations and these guys do it right. The atmosphere is buzzing with good energy and the results these guys achieve are amazing.

Cons

Fast paced, make sure you can keep up!

"Great wholesome organization. Passionate about work."

Pros

great benefits for those who are hired, friendly and helpful staff

Cons

no benefits for interns, difficult to get hired as an intern

"Not Your Typical NGO"

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

Incredible benefits, good work life balance, very good culture, solid, mission driven plan. Thanks to Ted Turner, this NGO has a relatively large amount of capital to play with so at times that allows to it operate more like a business (which more NGOs should do!) than an NGO who has to worry more actively about scarcity. There are a huge number of people here with diverse professional backgrounds.

Cons

The NGO is going under a lot of changes as it spends its billionth dollar from Ted Turner. this means lots of exciting new opportunities but also some restructuring.

"Awesome experience"

Current Employee - Senior Officer
    Current Employee - Senior Officer

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working here for a couple of years, came across glassdoor as I anticipate my next move and decided to chime in. Firstly I feel that the June review oversteps the mark, sure there are a lot of personalities but nothing that could be defined as crazy. The culture is great, people are awesome and the department leaders are always open to talking to you about their areas of expertise. As someone who works in a very specific area I have learned so much about other departments. It's a very busy place, fast moving and exciting, which is great for me but I can see how it would not be for the feint of heart. You get out what you put in, and that's all I have asked for.

Cons

Location used to be in Dupont which was awesome, current location is probably better for business but not for social aspects. Office interior and technology are amazing however.

Advice to Management

Pls keep Friday's in August!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

UNF is a great place to work, I have been here for 4 years and the experience has been wonderful. The opportunity to see how international development has changed, and is changing, and to be at at organization that is at the cutting edge has really been great. With the launch of the Sustainable Development Goals this month there is a huge amount of excitement about how UNF will be involved and help those in need. Keep it up!

Cons

No real cons come to mind, given other places I have worked, we are well provided for. Only con I can think of is the high price of rent in DC, but that's another story.

Advice to Management

Exciting times ahead, can't wait to hear more news about UNF and the Sustainable Development Goals.

"Great work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior management overall very conscious of day to day work environment, creating an overall 'team' feeling, offering great benefits both tangible and intangible. But specific working conditions within individual departments or grant-funded projects vary wildly. Your mileage may vary depending on your department / project chief.

Cons

Some projects / groups better managed than others. Morale can be sky high in some groups, dead low in others. Cliquishness is a big problem in some areas.

Advice to Management

Topmost level senior directors should look more closely at how staff are managed to ensure equality of treatment and opportunity.

"Great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at UNF, I was a Senior Associate and worked there for 3 years. Place in my opinion is awesome, fast paced, energetic and lots of fun. The place was BUSY and by that I mean you will have to run to keep up. Once I got myself aligned and knew what was expected of me I really enjoyed it. Learnt a TON about international development, made some great contacts and I will take that experience with me.

Cons

Can't really think of any, maybe if you are not quick enough to keep up it might be a bit frustrating?

Advice to Management

Thanks for 3 years, good luck in the future, I didn't know a whole lot about the UN before I started but know I feel like I have done a degree in UN studies.

"Cleaning up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy working here, its busy, lots to do and more to learn. I have been here for around 7 years and have seen some changes. Lately a few bad managers have 'left' (mine was one of them) which is great, hopefully I will have a few more opportunities here.

Cons

Should have gotten rid of the bad managers long ago, having said that at least its done so lets get on with it.

Advice to Management

I do not have a lot of interaction with executive management. My NEW manager is great, pay is good, benefits are great.

"Digital Media"

Former Employee - Digital Media in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Digital Media in Washington, DC

I worked at United Nations Foundation (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at UNF as an intern and was offered a full-time position after my internship finished. Working in the digital space we have always looked at the glassdoor reviews from time to time and as I am leaving I decided to rate my own job. I have really enjoyed my time, work and colleagues, the program I worked on was great and I personally believe I really made a difference - sad and hard to leave.

Cons

It's a shame that the foundation does not pay its interns anymore ( I was one of the last groups of paid interns).

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my job and the team I worked with. Thanks for the benefits, Kathy Calvin is a great CEO.

"Working here is nothing short of a pleasure"

I have been working at United Nations Foundation full-time

Pros

It's an amazing work environment filled with passionate and supportive people. I consider myself very lucky to get to work in a place that provides so much to their employees.

Cons

This foundation is very busy changing the world for the better and so the office is constantly busy and is incredibly fast paced. While I enjoy this aspect of it, I'm sure other people may not be able to keep up.

Advice to Management

You're great!