United Network for Organ Sharing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Brian M. Shepard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Place to Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible mission and culture. The people are all dedicated to the mission of the organization and work together to make it happen. Senior leadership is aligned in vision and dedicated to building a learning/improving culture. They try to take care of their employees. Everyone values hard work and innovation, and they are both encouraged.

Cons

Not all the directors and managers should have been elevated to those positions. Jobs don't always have a clear career path but I hear that is being worked on with new, more experienced & capable HR leadership than what was previously had.

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review, and for sharing your concern about career paths. As the new HR leader I can assure you that we are very interested in creating clarity and... More

"Cronyism thrives"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I gave one star to note the prior CEO. As someone who worked there 10+ years, i have had the benefit of working with and for people who truly believe in the mission.

Cons

Newer management hires people for jobs that are not even posted. There is no transparency and the "yes, boss" people are suddenly appointed to manager and director positions. So if you are someone who likes to provide ideas for change, look elsewhere as it is not going to happen. Departments and positions are suddenly "eliminated" and management makes no effort to find other jobs within UNOS for these employees. In stead you have a meeting where you are dismissed and then walked out by HR. No matter what, it is embarrassing and makes you feel "dirty". It does serve to stir up fear and distrust in the folks who are left behind. Then, you may find out that after eliminating your position, a few months later they will find someone who they can pay less to do the job that was supposedly eliminated.

Advice to Management

Show true transparency. Say hello to people when you pass them. Treat your workers with the same respect you would expect for yourself.

Sep 25, 2017 – HR Director

Let me begin with an apology for not responding sooner. I dont know how I missed your review...

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns.

As the new HR Director, I... More

3. "OPS"

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time

Pros

Schedule, Friendly people, advancement, great benefits

Cons

None I can think of

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks for taking the time to share a review!

Like you, I have joined UNOS with lots of optimism, and see lots of opportunities to make the place even better based on what I hear from the team and... More

"So much drama"

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Obviously their mission - to save lives. Great place for moms to work.

Cons

I wasn't going to write this review except in the year since I left UNOS, I have run into more people who say "Oh, wow, they really burn thru people there." That statement validated the way I felt - lots of turn over - lot of very unhappy people. This place is run on spreadsheets and meetings. SO many meetings to share information that should be passed on at the director level or at least known at the mid-manager level. There's a lot of talk of process improvement or change management but they really don't want to change. And god help you if you have good ideas on how something could be done better.... the lifers will shoot you down and tell you it doesn't need to be fixed.

Advice to Management

Improve communications so line employees can do their jobs at attend fewer meetgins.

"Stay Clear!!"

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time

Pros

Great mission. Dedicated staff employees. Benefits are good especially 401k

Cons

The CEO has destroyed the morale of the employees. He does not know how to engage the employees or even really care to put forth the effort. If you are part of his "group" you are able to do what you want. The senior leaders will not challenge or speak up for fear of being the next one escorted out the door. The overall environment is not positive which is too bad since with it:s mission, it could be a great company.

Advice to Management

The new board President needs to take a serious look at what is happening at UNOS before the organization loses anymore talented staff and becomes totally dysfunctional. Assess senior management on your own. Don't let the data cloud the real issues that are paralysing UNOS.

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Director

As the new HR leader, I am committed to responding to all comments from current employees... especially those that include concerns or criticism.

I encourage you to stop by my office to talk about... More

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great work environment, awesome people, innovative environment

Cons

limited opportunity for advancement, slow pace

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a comment.

As the new HR leader I share your enthusiasm about UNOS.

I hope you will feel comfortable stopping by to tell me about anything that... More

7. "Great place to work for me"

I have been working at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time

Pros

I love Richmond Va. it's a great place to live

Cons

There is nothing for a con

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Director

Thanks for the great review.

As the new HR leader I am committed to responding to our current employees who share feedback.

I hope that you will feel comfortable sharing Pro's and Con's as you... More

"Software Engineers be warned."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, VA

I worked at United Network for Organ Sharing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed enough work environment, respectable mission

Cons

Ancient technology, low morale, annoying bureaucracy, very low pay for software engineers.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Realize that the company wouldn't be anything without the IT department and reward people for doing a good job. RECENT GRADS BE WARNED. I know it can be scary to look for a job after graduation but if you're a VCU grad with a CS degree, you can do much better than this place. The technology is ancient, the pay is horrible, and the culture is straight out of the '60s. You'll essentially not be able to list this job on your resume unless you want to be working on old MS stacks for the rest of your career. Also, the work is pretty mind numbing if you ask me.

Oct 10, 2017 – HR Director

As the new HR leader at UNOS, I am trying to ensure that we respond to all comments from current or former employees within the last year. My apologies for just getting back in the history stack to... More

9. "Great Benefits"

Pros

Strong mission and great people. Great benefits and great working hours. Most salaries are very competitive.

Cons

The organization has been going through significant changes (most for the better) for the past few years without leadership having change management experience.

10. "UNOS"

Pros

People are nice. Flexible and talented

Cons

Too many changes in team structure