United Rentals Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael J. Kneeland

"Field tech IV"

Former Employee - Field Service Mechanic in Marshall, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Mechanic in Marshall, TX

I worked at United Rentals (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was ok benefits were decent co-workers were good people

Cons

Your just a number Although they say family. Very unaware of laws and guide lines for CDL drivers, There is so much more however it is what it is a corporation to big to care.

Advice to Management

clean house with area management and district managment

"Have no concept how to treat employees and care even less for customers"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of equipment - focus on Saftey - nice benefits - sales force - solid service for equipment ( had to because how aged it was )

Cons

- Very poor management
    - micro management
    - low pay scale
    - CORP Greed
    - equipment was very, very old and needed to be removed

Advice to Management

They would never listen if you offered

"Not for Women"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Oak Creek, WI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Oak Creek, WI

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really is a lot of potential to make a lot of money. How much you want to make depends on how much work you put in, and what you willing to do to earn business, win the deal, get that 'yes' from the customer.

Cons

At my location there was absolutely no teamwork or feeling of camaraderie. Everyone was out to work or protect themselves and as a result the job was many times harder than it should have been.

There was also an overwhelming amount of sexism going on at my location. Rarely that I feel respected at my workplace, and because of that I only lasted 15 months

United Rentals Response

Feb 15, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We regret to hear your characterization of your experience with the Company. United Rentals is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the ... More

"Outside Sales - Trench Safety"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Trench Safety in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Trench Safety in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, job security, a good learning stepping stone.

Cons

It feels wrong to rip off customers. We do this daily. Either we are ripping off our customers for a quick buck or slipping one past our DM so the customer makes a quick buck. Either way, and I'm uncomfortable. Culture is awful and abusive. I was told if I didn't like the sales territories, "Apply elsewhere and we'll sue you for enforcement of your non-compete." This came true for the last guy so I'm kind of scared. We quote projects at low rates, with no idea of how to accomplish the job. This makes me feel like any day we will be exposed.

Advice to Management

Tell the TRUTH. Stop teaching 20-somethings bogus lines like, "Yeah we got that on the ground," when they really need 2 days to ship from another state. Get more control of the outside salesmen. They are all rubbing elbows with the enemy and applying for other sales jobs. You can't expect to sue every one of them.

United Rentals Response

Feb 5, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concern. United Rentals is committed to maintaining a fair, respectful and dignified business and work environment and we take your concern very ... More

"Typical Cold hearted Corporation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MS

Pros

deep pockets and good at dangling a carrot in front of somebody when they recruit them.

Cons

MANY dotted lines. Too many Chiefs: not enough Indians. Too Political. Entirely too much bureaucracy!! Keep people not qualified. No training....no management; DC are slick talking do nothing managers who run all over trying to justify their position.
    Don't be deceived by this big corporation that doesn't give a rat about you...keep looking or stay where you're at! United Rentals ruined me!! Recruited me, caused my former employer to give me an ultimatum to go or stay then threw me to the wolves with NO training, consolidated regions, demoted managers then let me go with some lame excuse to make room for somebody who had been demoted. They're full of games and could careless about a person. Tumultuous environment that I'm certain it's better that I'm not with them! Just wish they had never contacted me and caused to the leave a perfectly good job!!!!!!! They almost destroyed my family's livelihood!! and they could care less!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T WORK FOR THEM!! BE WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Know what's actually going on in the field; don't just run the company based on stats and KPI.
    Know your people!! Get rid of the useless trouble makers that hide behind a computer and have no customer service skills. Don't hire somebody and then just throw them into a horrible situation where there are no team players and people are being let go and demoted.

7. "Service Mechanic IV"

Former Employee - Mechanic Journeyman in Paramount, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanic Journeyman in Paramount, CA

Pros

Comfortable environent
    Friendly confines
    good benefits
    safety first

Cons

no cons at this time

"Absolutely Terrible"

Former Contractor - Credit Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Contractor - Credit Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home and the fact that I recieved a paycheck is the most positive thing that I can say about this company

Cons

Micromanaging. Unfair treatment of the employees. Complete lack of diversity. Managers had no minds of their own as every single decision came from their boss.

Advice to Management

Pop up and visit your sites. Visit your call centers. Everything is great when they know you are coming. Surprise them. Try to care about the people under management's opinions. Diversify management with different backgrounds, sexes, and races.

"Corporate policies"

Former Employee - Equipment Associate in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Equipment Associate in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Good benefits, that's about it

Cons

Horrible management, horrible HR horrible policies.
    If you get hurt and it's 100% an accident your at fault and they WILL throw you under the bus

Advice to Management

Go through all the staff at all stores, right down to ISR.

"Not what it comes across as..."

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate in Texas City, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Associate in Texas City, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Employee Benefit programs, First hand exposure to lots of equipment and tools and the industrial business involved in construction and industrial contractors.

Cons

Mediocre salaries, limited time given for available training programs, Management does not appreciate the efforts you put forth in your position as inside sales roles.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the reality of the day to day operations and whom is accountable for what.

"Backstabbers"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Insurance plan was good as well as holidays

Cons

They set you up for failure. Training is non-existant.Unless you are part of the selected few, there is no teamwork. Although you go to mg mt with concerns m nothing is done then they use those issues as a reason to "eliminate" your job.

Advice to Management

Company is top heavy. Too many executives.