United Rentals Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael J. Kneeland

1. "Technician"

Current Employee - Service Technician IV in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Service Technician IV in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is large enough you can relocate. Pay is fair. Good people. Management is fair. Benefits available. Vacation time is fair.

Cons

Safety is becoming ridiculous. Not much direction from upper management. Long high stress hours its rental industry. More manufacturer training.

"Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people the most. Benefits were great, 401K match was good but you have to work a minimum of two years to get the pay out and they don't share that part with you. They put you through a training program for equipment knowledge and Rental Man training.

Cons

Frustrating working in the call center, the programming is difficult to learn at first and you are on the phone under pressure right away with little to no training. I started in the Sales Associate program with commission opportunity, then moved into ISR role losing my commission. Long hours 7-5 (sometimes 6)

3. "Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at United Rentals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits
    Decent pay
    Decent perks
    Overall not a bad place to start a career but wouldn't recommend finishing one there. I've been looking for a door for years. I got stuck when I was younger. I recommend coming in learning the trade and moving on.

Cons

No work life balance to speak of. Used to have to work Saturdays but not anymore (although a few stores are still open then). Pay is okay but not great. Long hours sometimes. Getting to work at 6 and leaving at 6-7 is not a good way to keep happy employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management should care more about the everyday employees. Many are burnt out and agitated and branch managers don't care because they have to much pressure on them from you.

5. "Equipment associate"

Current Employee - Equipment Associate in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Equipment Associate in Hayward, CA

I have been working at United Rentals (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Hours
    OVertime
    Benefits
    Weekends off
    Able to be Independent

Cons

Lazy workers
    Dirty
    Unorganized
    Product is not quality

Advice to Management

Direct your employees

6. "Management ruin the company for me"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

If they want you they will pay! During the flood company spared no time with assisting employees and family. Company also have opportunity for growth

Cons

The the New Orleans/ Baton Rogue Metro its a good ol boy atmosphere.This area is run by saleman, if you question a salman who have been there a period of time because the salman want to give a customer a credit or a "loaner", you are pounced on through email as if you are not doing your job. Store managers do not hire employees upper management put extended family in positions that they are not qualified for. There are many family members that work in this area. Hiring has completely STOPPED, employees who have left have never been replace when it comes to drivers and mechanics, but they continue to hire salesman, who were fired form other companies. Managers are even dating employees this area in the time I have worked here is on a downward spiral.

Advice to Management

This is a great company, but this area will lose great mechanics and drivers if upper management is not held accountable, This area is in need of a serious shake up.

United Rentals Response

Sep 9, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We regret to hear your characterization of your experience with the Company. United Rentals has policies that prohibit many of the activities you ... More

"Field service technicians"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Abbeville, SC
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Abbeville, SC

I worked at United Rentals (More than a year)

Pros

Great working people to work with talking about the mechanics

Cons

Management needs to be fired and start over any one can push paper a really leader will have the support of his people

Advice to Management

Need to trust in your people's and take care of the ones who make you look good and make the cash for the company

8. "RPDM"

Former Employee - Regional Product Development Manager in Polk City, IA
    Former Employee - Regional Product Development Manager in Polk City, IA

I worked at United Rentals (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair leaders are in place

Cons

Paperwork can be overwhelming at operations level

9. "Good Part-time job"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at United Rentals part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going call center. Calls were usually easy. We basically had to transfer most of them to the branch or sales department to handle. I barely dealt with irrate customers (which is great for a call center). The Manager was great, very approchable and nice. They gave us a set schedule, and were very flexible with it.

Cons

They usually hire through a recruiter and don't bring you along until you get promoted to sales or another position. Had to work every Saturday (we all had to work atleast a Saturday or a Sunday each week). Had to work Holidays (although they were flexible with that too). Had to handle chats while on the phone, that was hard to do as people can't really multi task that way, you will always sacrifice the customer service from one or the other (usually the chat). Summer was VERY busy, calls were almost non stop until about end of September.

Advice to Management

Hire people after their 3 month I probation and maybe you'd be able to retain more employees. Make the Interactive team stay later (make another shift or so) so the call center isn't affected by the handling chats.

"Ok opportunity"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is clear cut and simple to perform.

Cons

Very robotic. You are micromanaged and monitored very heavily when it comes to break times. Your performance is heavily based off of how much time you are "available" to take phone calls, so it's difficult to take any time to grab a coffee or even use the toilet.

Advice to Management

I don't think monitoring an employee so closely creates a healthy work environment. When you are an adult, it's nice to have the freedom to work at your own pace and he trusted to take a bathroom break.

"Tech 2"

Former Employee - Service Tech II in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Service Tech II in San Antonio, TX

I worked at United Rentals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a good jod just not very focast on the people who make the buisnes run

Cons

Not enough help seems like management is held to high on the pedistol

Advice to Management

How about raining down a little welth on the little guys in the shop the ones that fix everything so the company has something to rent