United Shore Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
United Shore President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The culture encourages team members to get better every day by improving in all aspects of work/ life balance" (in 43 reviews)

• "40 Hour Work Week that allows for true work life balance" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "They preach work/life balance but when it comes to needing to handle" (in 18 reviews)

• "There is no cons working for United Shore" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Team Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love going to work every single day. I’ve worked at other Big Box Lenders. And the culture we have at UWM is incomparable. Where do I start? Our Amazing team is like family. Our Leadership truly cares for everyone. We are like family away from family. No matter who you are our CEO will walk up to you and address you by your name. I still have no clues how he knows everyone’s name.
    Open communication, Leadership has an open door policy to address any concerns, concerns are also addressed right away not down the road.
    Life changing compensation, Best place to work in Michigan for sure! There’s always something new and fresh. Nothing is allowed to get dull.

Cons

If I had to find something it’s too many meetings for Sales team. Monday’s are the worst due only to I can’t get on the phones to assist clients until 11:45 or 12 noon. This should be looked at and changed ASAP. All Sales Leaders feel the same. With all of our technology we could get the same messages to the team via Goto meetings or conf calls.

Advice to Management

You’re doing a Great job overall. Nothing is ever perfect but we are almost there. Let’s just fix a few loose ends and onward to #1 4 yrs in a row! #50B!

May 24, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled to hear you feel this way about our company culture! We make it a priority here to be sure that everyone feels welcome, comfortable... More

"Can’t imagine a better place to work"

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The People - working with amazing individuals every day who love what they do and are on focused on the same mission - to be the best by being the best not only professionally but personally. There is so much kindness and thoughtfulness around you!

Leadership - no matter what, they support and take care of you at all levels. I have never seen a more committed CEO who takes time to get to know everyone and makes his presence known and shows how much he cares. He drives our culture and vision and sets an incredible example!

Focus on growth - they want you to grow and develop wherever that is in the company and make sure you are getting the training and feedback you need to be successful and care about you on a personal level.

When you walk the floor you are greeted with smiles and having come from other companies that never happened at, this fact alone always makes me feel so proud of where I work!

Cons

No working from home but that was the expectation set before I started so I understand, it’s definitely not a deal breaker for me and I love being with my team everyday, but it would be nice when life stuff happens to be able to handle my business from home.

Honestly that’s about it! Any concern I have ever had has been addressed and they are always seeking feedback to make things better - I couldn’t ask for more when it comes to my company!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback and being supportive!

Jan 4, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for the review and for being a part of the United Shore team! We’re happy to hear you enjoy our people, leadership and opportunities for growth. We know our people are our greatest asset... More

"IT Leadership is Failing"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With no experience required, this is the place to be, andIn my opinion, truly great place to start a career. You can get trained in almost anything you want to do, regardless of education, experience, or initial competence for the job. Just show initiative to the right people and have a positive attitude and you'll succeed. Heads of IT departments here that I worked with actually told me they had no prior IT experience outside this company.

-Amazing teammates who will weather the storms with you
    -Many on site amenities (doctors office, cafeteria, gym)
    -Planned activities/holiday parties/etc

Cons

I believe the IT department leadership, at the highest level, is motivated by a fear of the business. Couple that with inexperienced middle management and you have a recipe for disaster. If you come here with IT industry experience you will likely find yourself in an endless loop of frustration. The kids on scooters are fun when you tour the building, but not when they end being your pseudo-boss, dictating your project deadlines without any consultation from the project team, understanding of risk, or impact to other project dependencies. "We move fast around here" is a bandaid statement for, "we don't know what the hell we're doing, but we promised Mat that we did." I assure you it's not fast, it's just unorganized chaos to no end, which feels "fast" in the moment.

Promotions can be had, but the salary increases are rumored to be so low that it's often not worth it. Remember, most of the leadership started in the business, so they are not inclined to transition you into a real IT salary if you're one of those transfers. This is why many people stay 1-2 years, get experience, and leave for a regular wage with their new title. No one wants to be a leader; allegedly leaders often make less than the skilled members of the team. Some of these skilled members end up told that they are next up for leadership, even if they express no interest and/or don't possess leadership skills. You will find quite a few people that used to be leaders and decided to step down on their own to go back into their original role. Where is that normal? To me, this is a red flag, but they will tell you its actually a perk, because "you can be as ambitious as you want here."

Overall, I did not feel set up for success, but instead constantly led to failure without a chance to ever remediate mistakes made the second time around. Deadlines are dictated, then missed. I don't believe Mat dictates deadlines, I believe IT leadership overpromises to him. The result is resources being stripped from their projects to go work on whichever one is closest to a deadline without any understanding or formal analysis of the impact. I don't believe costs are tracked for project work because the amount of money being wasted in IT as it chases its tail has to be astronomical.

They preach a family vibe, but I didn't find it here. It's hard to be supportive of your team when your company gives you nothing to support them with beyond free concert/sports tickets. These surface level nice gestures get tired quick and didn't really provide me with any long-term value. I saw even the people they love get mistreated and I found it very disheartening to see more than one person with cancer having to show up to work during treatment. Unfortunately, you can't throw Pistons tickets at all life's problems, and "thanks" for working nights and weekends without and end in sight doesn't help put food on the table either.

I had a hard time sitting in all IT meetings where a guy (who is in town every other week) comes in (with his top two buttons unbuttoned like he's a night club owner) to justify our long hours and weekends stressing over never ending unrealistic deadlines by stating they resulted in massive gains for the company. His Wolf of Wall Street style "motivational" speech usually concluded with a reminder that we need to trust him, we aren't getting raises, need to continue to burn ourselves out, and that's just how it's going to be -- or leave. Every once in a while you had to read between the lines to get that messaging, but usually it was exactly that direct without any sugar coating.

Advice to Management

It's time to truly trust the process. Allow the business and IT teams to actually work together and agree to scope related to deadlines -- I promise this will result in better products and faster delivery. You have many skilled IT workers who will deliver when given a real opportunity to do so. This will actually help the business move faster and smarter in the long run.

IT needs to evolve into a more forward thinking department that plans just as successfully for the future as the business side of the house does. Please bring in more skilled and qualified people, even if that means you have to open up your creaky wallet from time to time. The high volume of of green people hitting the floor after short IT training classes is negatively impacting the future of the company. You may not feel it yet, but you are building not only technical debt, but also personnel debt. The ratio of skilled to brand people new should never be 1:1. Before you know it there won't be anyone qualified left to unmangle the mess.

Leave Quicken alone. You hire all their employees and then sue your own when they try and head there after burning out here. If you want to be #1 then you have to start acting like it. The campaign against them is embarrassing and no one cares. It's wasted energy and in poor taste. Every time you expend energy on them, they win. All this has done is create bad publicity for you, and should ultimately be beneath you if you practice what you preach. Focus on yourself, your uniqueness, success, and bright future -- not the competition.

Lastly, I feel CTO level employees should avoid fraternizing with employees. It has created constant rumors on the floor of certain kinds of relationships, and discredits the individuals that have been promoted.

"It was good, but could’ve been great!"

Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Junior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Set PTO hours given at the start of employment and did not need to be accrued over time. (10 Days per year, should only be used once you’re actually on the floor working. NOT when you’re in training).
    - Each team was well organized. Eg. Underwriting, Sales, IT, HR etc.
    - Efficient ans streamlined process for each teams, and they were well organized.
    - Effective communication across various teams that worked together.
    - Strong Underwriting training program.

Cons

- Long hours were some times necessary to meet the quota of loans touched in the day, “meet commitment”.
    - From the initial interviews for the underwriting position, it was not clear what an Underwriter’a day to day would look like. This could be improved.
    - Underwriting work itself is very detail-oriented, but the work culture is fast paced. Therefore lots of rooms for error.

Advice to Management

- Make sure you’re marketing each position as accurately as possible. This would reduce turnover rate.
    - Give more PTO’s throughout the year. People can earn money but we can’t earn time or get back the time we spent working and not being w our families.

Feb 20, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for the review. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our training programs and feel that our teams are well-organized. We appreciate your honesty and will share this feedback with our leadership... More

"You are only valued if you’re a favorite."

Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, firm 40 hours work week

Cons

I worked here for almost four years. I loved my coworkers. I worked hard, did overtime, went above and beyond regularly. I supported and encouraged everyone around me. The benefits are great here, the pay is not. But the most important thing here is to understand that they push a false and toxic concept of positivity. They tell you to question things and to #beyouhere, but if you don’t fit into the toxic concept of positivity they try to feed they will punish you no matter how good of a worker you are. They preach team work but than constantly encourage team members to compete with each other and encourage trash talk. Recognition rarely reflects work, work quality, or work ethic and is more often based on favoritism. The company use to be a very great and encouraging place to work but over the last year and a half it has quickly gone down hill. If you have depression or anxiety, do not work here. There will be no sympathy or understanding. There is a firm belief that no matter what you are to blame if you have a bad day or bad moment. And on top of that reality means nothing to them, only the perceptions of others, specifically favorites within the company. So while I greatly love the time I spent there, in the end the environment was far to hostile and toxic for me to encourage anyone to apply here anymore. I recommended several people over the years, I will talk anyone that is even thinking of applying here out of it. There are several good team members and team leads that I have watched be forced to do terrible and unethical things because their jobs were threatened by the toxic positivity of this place. I’ve watched hard workers, good workers be fired because a favorite didn’t like something. I’ve watched terrible employees be prompted because they were a favorite. I will openly admit there is lots of good things the company as a whole does for its employees but the environment and focus on short term profits over genuine longevity and the pressure this puts on people makes those things moot unless you have no issue with a cult mentality. They push a concept of burn the boat, and that is exactly what they are doing burning the boat that is UWM.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to realize that you are destroying good and hard workers for a concept that is not truly sustainable and is in reality toxic and damaging.

Feb 7, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for sharing this honest feedback with us. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed working with your team members and appreciate the hard work you put in during your time here. Our leadership team... More

"Save your soul"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since the announcement they finally are paying us to what the industry normally gets but that requires 13+ hour work days and while it’s not mandatory you are heavily questioned as to what you are doing that is more important than working. Also every hour you are asked how many more loans you are going to do which distracts you from actually doing work.

Cons

This was an awesome company but since the announcement of better pricing it’s been strenuous and everyone is on edge. We can’t keep up with turn time. We are offered huge bonus incentives but they make it so the only way you get it is by working 7 days a week. I can’t catch up on sleep. God forbid you leave on time. While we are busting our butt to stay ahead of turn time we are also being told to work faster but don’t get an error or your whole bonus will be taken from you. The clients are ruder then ever and where we used to take “Elite” loans we now are doing anything and everything which I don’t blame sales since they took a pay cut. The perks everyone is told in the automated responses do not even get touched by Underwriting because if you’re not sleeping you should be working. It’s just extremely disheartening that this company is not the same family it used to be. I worked at Quicken and at least they are up front about everything.

Advice to Management

It’s so easy to say to sit back in your big desks and offices and preach of what needs to be done but you aren’t here every day like your team grinding all hours. You don’t have a clue what we do and deal with. Going home and logging on and answering emails is not the same as being in office especially when you just forwarded it on for someone else to address. Underwrite a file or too yourself that would help.

Mar 21, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us as that’s how we can continue to work to get better. From the detailed work done on every file, to the client service provided to our partners, our... More

"The happiest place on Earth?? Hardly."

Current Employee - IT Department in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - IT Department in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. On site doctor office is helpful. On site cafeteria.

Cons

They are so hell-bent on appearances, that they have now taken to "coaching out" (firing) high-performers who question or complain. All in an effort to only have yes-men around. Are your egos really that fragile? This all white cast of Uncle Toms is embarrassing to watch in action. The CTO and his lackies have overstayed their welcome and need to move along and let the people who know what is going on do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Put your egos aside. Take an honest look at all of the surveys. Quit blaming middle-management, when senior management is really the problem.

Jan 22, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re happy to hear you enjoy our people and the on-site perks we provide for our team members. All of our leaders, including our IT leaders... More

"I like it here, they always treat me good."

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free stuff like the gym.
    Lots of exciting work that never gets boring.
    Great people
    Lots of opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Sometimes a parking spot can be hard to find.
    Open floor plan.
    Lack of senior developers makes solving difficult issues even harder.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to improve the processes, keep reviewing the way that you measure people until you find one that works. Keep rolling new technology that changes the way we do business. This company is going places, and sometimes the growing pains can be difficult, but we will get thru this and get the bugs worked out. This really is a great place to work,

Feb 6, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for the great feedback! We’re happy to hear you enjoy the perks, amenities and growth opportunities we provide for our team members. We appreciate your honesty and will share this feedback... More

"Fake smiles & real backstabbing kill opportunities at pseudo-Quicken"

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people there were great to work with. Some really intelligent people that I honestly question why they still work there(notably the infrastructure architect).

Cons

The work environment, outside of my team and even within my team partly, was toxic, noisy and distracting. Several people on my own team would undermine my work, make comments about me professionally and personally, and some of these comments partly led to my unfair dismissal. My team lead did not have my back during any of it because he was friends with those making the comments.

I was also forced to provide negative feedback on my team members at the insistence of my team lead, which also led to my dismissal even though the feedback was explicitly requested.

I cannot stress enough that the positiveness and perks are a marketing strategy to entice millennials into working there. That is all it is, a front. Once you get in and get past your honeymoon period, it will become apparent that United Shore perpetuates a highly toxic environment that is not self-sustaining in an attempt to catch up to Quicken Loans.

Feb 27, 2019 – Team Member Services

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. While we’re happy you enjoyed working with some of your team members, we are disappointed to hear you feel this way about our work environment. One of our... More

"Started off mediocre. Became terrible. Now, it’s hell."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Berkley, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Berkley, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On my 20 minute commute each way into the office I listen to music and try to convince myself not to swerve into a tree or drive off the 696 overpass.

Cons

Lol. Oh lord Jesus, help me. The entire company is a con. From the CEO who is constantly blabbing about how great the company is...but then REDUCES SALARY for his ENTIRE sales staff in order to cut his companies base rates...

Make no mistake...everything UWM does is at the expense of its employees. If you’re a young person about to graduate from college and thinking about getting into the mortgage business. Go work for Quicken. Trust me. You might have to work longer hours but they will actually be worthwhile. You’ll be fairly compensated for all of your extra time. Also, Quicken doesn’t lie when they hire you....or try to deceive you.

UWM has lied to me at every bleeping turn. When they hire you they promise you a career full of explosive potential...but fail to mention that they are over staffed in both sales and operations, making it nearly impossible to see any of the commissions that they promised you. They also try to suck you in the their “amazing culture” and show you videos of dance party’s. It’s all internal propaganda they spew out to try and make it seem like a fun place. In actuality, it’s a living hell. I have worked at Quicken loans. And then I have worked at UWM in both operations and sales. The only reason I’m writing this is because I wish someone would’ve wrote this for me....so I wouldn’t have made the worst career move of my entire life.

Advice to Management

You wouldn’t listen anyways. Can’t wait to read your comment, Katie Foster.

Feb 27, 2019 – Team Member Services

We appreciate the feedback and are disappointed to hear you feel this way. Our team is overstaffed by design to accommodate the fluctuation of the mortgage industry and our leadership team is always... More