United Shore Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
United Shore President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The culture encourages team members to get better every day by improving in all aspects of work/ life balance" (in 39 reviews)

• "40 Hour Work Week that allows for true work life balance" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Everybody needs a work from home once in a while for work life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• "There is no cons working for United Shore" (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Team Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love going to work every single day. I’ve worked at other Big Box Lenders. And the culture we have at UWM is incomparable. Where do I start? Our Amazing team is like family. Our Leadership truly cares for everyone. We are like family away from family. No matter who you are our CEO will walk up to you and address you by your name. I still have no clues how he knows everyone’s name.
    Open communication, Leadership has an open door policy to address any concerns, concerns are also addressed right away not down the road.
    Life changing compensation, Best place to work in Michigan for sure! There’s always something new and fresh. Nothing is allowed to get dull.

Cons

If I had to find something it’s too many meetings for Sales team. Monday’s are the worst due only to I can’t get on the phones to assist clients until 11:45 or 12 noon. This should be looked at and changed ASAP. All Sales Leaders feel the same. With all of our technology we could get the same messages to the team via Goto meetings or conf calls.

Advice to Management

You’re doing a Great job overall. Nothing is ever perfect but we are almost there. Let’s just fix a few loose ends and onward to #1 4 yrs in a row! #50B!

May 24, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled to hear you feel this way about our company culture! We make it a priority here to be sure that everyone feels welcome, comfortable... More

"Amazing! I’ve worked here for almost two years and have not dreaded one day of work. I hope to retire from this company."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, pay, work life balance, benefits, leadership, training is amazing. The people from the janitors to the ceo are all top notch wonderful people.

Cons

The first year is hard pay wise but, what commission job isn’t?

Advice to Management

Keep doing whatever it is you are doing! Every last one of you are amazing!

Jul 6, 2018

Thanks for the great feedback, we really appreciate it. Our team members drive the success and direction of the company, and our goal is to continue to provide an environment and opportunity for... More

3. "Great Place, Great Team, Near Perfect"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

People are nicer than anywhere else. Never had more doors held open for me anywhere. There are lots of chances for growth and upward mobility. Amenities are second to none - onsite dr office, full-time massage staff, cafeteria, hair salon, exercise gym, and more. Huge focus on teamwork and actual continuous improvement - not the lip service some other places provide. Work/life balance is way better than average. Their formula for success is clear in how theyve grown and they are very family-friendly. Nowhere is perfect, but this team knows how to keep improving things to keep getting closer to that sweet spot.

Cons

schedule should be more flexible especially in IT. Having salary staff punch in and out can be justified but is also like a factory and not the must trusting feeling. The environment can be a bit distracting and loud at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep pushing and you should keep taking market share. Experiment with a bit more flex-time or work from home, especially with productive staff - they might get even more done.

Jul 3, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review! We appreciate your honest feedback and love to hear that you have recognized the friendly culture our team members carry out, as well as the growth and endless... More

"One of the worst places I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Underwriting in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Underwriting in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Soda Pop & Coffee (big whoop)

Cons

LOW WAGES
    I make $12.50 an hour

Advice to Management

Pay your workers a living wage.

Jul 18, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for your feedback. Compensation is something that varies based on several factors, and while we share all feedback with our leaders we would encourage you to discuss your concerns directly... More

"Think twice about joining"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is growing and is strong. They have pep rallies, etc. if you need to have an external person or event motivate you to do the job you were hired and paid to do.

Cons

Leadership asks for feedback but it is all a show - they only want to hear from you if what you say agrees with their point of view. The culture is more like a high school pep rally.

They offer PTO but don't offer sick time and you are required to use OR lose all of you PTO each year.

They require salaried employees to punch a time clock .

They have "YourTime" which is a formal monthly meeting with your leader. They say it gives you an opportunity to talk about what you want to talk about. In the end, it is when your manager gives you a monthly performance evaluation. YOURTIME requires leaders to always find at least one area of improvement - I felt that they never saw the positive and always focused on the negative. The actual things you are reviewed on have nothing to do with the skills you need to have to actually do the job - they are based on how popular you are and how well you suck up to leadership.

They addressed formally disclosed disabilities by failing to provide accommodations recommended by a doctor AND allowing me to stay in the same job. They did offer to give me a new position (20% decrease in salary) which provided partial accommodation. Accommodations that offer a cut in salary are NOT ACCOMMODATIONS.

The language on the floor is filthy and unprofessional.

You get ahead if you some how become part of the popular clique.

IT managers try to tell experienced and skilled people how to do a job they have never done. If you don't do it their way AND agree with them, you have a negative attitude even though they don't have a clue about what they are saying.

EXAMPLE:

Background - I worked there successfully for 4 years and led lots of successful projects to completion. In these projects I was responsible to create and gain approval for all requirements including detailed user stories and acceptance criteria, high fidelity wire frames, process flows, etc. I was also actively involved in testing (creating / executing test plans, test scripts, etc.) for many of my projects. The quality of my work led to successfully completed projects.

Three months before I was terminated, I was assigned to a new team and my job was split into several pieces. I quickly got a handle on what needed to be done and created high fidelity wire frames which clearly illustrated what needed to happen from a functional perspective after 7 business days on the team. When I tried to share these with project stakeholders I was told that it was not my job even though it had been my job for over 4 years. I was not allowed to share what I had created and it was ignored by everyone. The person assigned to create this wire frame (the supposed expert) worked on this for the next 3 months with their leader and THEY were not able to get to where I was after 7 days even though they had the whole team working on pieces and parts of it. BOTTOM LINE - they didn't want competence AND didn't allow me to do my job which resulted in a tremendous waste of company resources.

Advice to Management

Suggestions and feedback are not well received AND are not acted upon. Since you don't want to hear what I have to say, I am not going to waste my time telling you that you are going to discount and ignore even though it would be of great benefit to the bottom line of the company if it were implemented.

Jul 17, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for your feedback. Our leadership team wants the absolute best for our team members and wants to make sure they are assisted and accommodated for at all times. We welcome team members with... More

6. "I'm a big fan!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, management wants you to be promoted, solid 40 hours a week, free pop and coffee, fun days that include food

Cons

Starting pay is low, our desks are kinda small, parking is a nightmare (for now)

Advice to Management

It would be nice if entry level paid just a bit more.

Jun 13, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review! We love hearing how our team members enjoy the company of their fellow team members, as well as the appreciation of work/life balance implemented with the firm 40 hour... More

"Bias favoritism"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

Like the job and culture over all. Some teams have more stress and lower pay overall in the industry but I find the company as a whole the best place I have worked.

Cons

Leaders are a joke many times. My team people sleep at their desks, walk around being a bully to everyone and others who sit on Amazon most of the day. But the team lead just let's it continue. She's going to drive away good, hard workers if this doesn't chance.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone to the same standards. Don't play BFF and let people get away with doing nothing.

Jun 20, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback and want the absolute best for our team members. We invest time in training our leadership team so they are knowledgeable... More

"Software developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities for training and advancement.

Cons

It would be nice to have the option to work from home especially during bad weather.

May 30, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time write a review! We are thrilled to hear that you recognize all the opportunities we offer team members and we truly appreciate your feedback so we can continuously... More

"False Expectations"

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, your peers are pretty great.

Cons

Everything. They constantly lie to get people in the door and then we are micro-managed. The firm 40 is a joke to operations and now underwriting as well. Senior leadership promotes people to positions with no experience in that specific field and they do not even attempt to learn what their roles do. They make decisions without valuing the feedback of their employees, despite that they say they do. If you apply to this company, absolutely do not go to closing. It is the biggest joke and a complete mess.

Advice to Management

Stop promising things like a "Firm 40" for your operations teams. Your SLA's are unrealistic and you promote "yes men" who do not stick up for their team members and agree to whatever senior leadership says, no matter how ridiculous and impossible it may truly be. Let the people who make decisions for each role understand what they actually do. Also, the pay is not competitive at all.

Jul 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Firm 40 hour work weeks are something we strive for here in every department, and our objective to overstaff by design is set to support that. With our business growing... More

"Account Executive"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

Fun environment and free soda

Cons

The pay is well below industry standards. During my two years there, they found multiple ways to lower commissions.
    Favoritism, the people the like get the good accounts. Work ethic rarely means a good living.

Jun 4, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Maintaining an upbeat and positive company culture is very important to us and we love to hear when our team members recognize this. We also want... More