United Shore Reviews

Updated May 30, 2020

3.3
United Shore President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 78 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only downside I have is that I wish I would have found United Shore and started my career here earlier(in 43 reviews)

• "Underwriters are so poorly trained that you being a body in a chair matters more than your output as long as you kiss up to the broker(in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Place To Get Better Every Day"

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at United Shore for almost a year now -- long enough for the new shine to wear away -- but the thing that still strikes me as so different from any other place I've worked are the amount of training and resources available for those who are interested and willing to constantly push for better. You have access to training from the moment you walk in the door -- and it's expected you'll continue training throughout your career. Whether to get better at your existing job or to learn how to do another one (this is one of those rare places where I see as much movement from type of job to type of job as up or down the ladder), there are coaches, classes and online resources for you. As someone who gets bored easily and thrives on learning new things, this works for me! Also, I really have to say, as goofy as it is, I really LIKE coming to a place where people hold the door open for you, say good morning, and are weirdly nice (at least before we all pretty much had to work from home...). It sets my attitude right from the moment I enter the building.

Cons

This place can be hard for someone who likes to fade in the background and just do their thing. You are required to not just do your job well, but also to connect with others, to share your ideas, and to help others get better too. And some people, frankly, are super uncomfortable with that. That's okay, but if that's you, I'd say think again before taking a job here or you will for sure be unhappy. Also, the parking lots are football fields which sucks in winter. And schedules are pretty rigid. But that's small potatoes (at least for me).

United Shore2020-04-09

April 10, 2020

We’re absolutely THRILLED to hear you’ve been able to find the value in our award-winning training. Giving our team members the resources to be their best self is only one of the ways we continue to show that our people are our greatest asset and hearing that you’ve been able to dive in and learn makes us smile. We understand there’s always opportunities to improve and we take all the suggestions coming through online reviews very seriously and we’ll continue to do so. Thanks so much for all the work you’re doing – keep growing! We’re happy to have you part of our family. Stay safe, stay healthy and thanks again.

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Trainer

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career Advancement Opportunities, Work Life Balance, Amenities and Benefits

Cons

Nothing notable at this time

United Shore2020-05-23

May 27, 2020

We’re thrilled to hear you’ve seen the opportunities to create a fulfilling career at United Shore. Thanks for the review.

"Great Philosophy, Poor Execution"

Former Employee - Engagement Coordinator in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time

Pros

40 hour work weeks, beautiful campus, lots of room for growth.

Cons

Feels WAY TOO CORPORATE. Trying way too hard to be "cool" but with none of the freedom of a company they're trying to be like...

United Shore2020-05-20

May 27, 2020

Hi there. Thanks for leaving a review and spending time with us at United Shore. We wish you the best in future endeavors!

4. "Love it"

Current Employee - Verification Specialist in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love everything about the job

Cons

There aren’t too many. It’s a great company.

United Shore2020-05-21

May 27, 2020

We’re so happy to hear you’re loving your time at United Shore. Thank you for being part of our family and thank you for the review.

5. "This Company Changed My Life In The Best Way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than a year

Pros

When this company says no experience, no problem? They mean it! I barely had any experience in my field when I was hired and was taught so much from my time here. My leaders have always had my back and I feel like I can count on them for anything. This company really does put their people first, especially in times of uncertainty. It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection. Working here has been the best decision I have ever made and I wouldn’t change anything about my journey.

Cons

This company is growing like crazy, which comes with its own challenges. It’s been difficult for all of us to keep with expectations that are put in place because of this but leaderships does all that they can to help each and every one of us.

United Shore2020-05-18

May 19, 2020

We love hearing you’ve learned so much and are enjoying our one-of-a-kind workplace at United Shore. We’re also thrilled to have you as part of the team. Although we understand our rapid pace of growth something makes adapting challenging, we’ve done a great job in crushing goals and making some extraordinary leaps – and that’s all thanks to you, our team members! Thanks for the kind review.

"What you see is (mostly) what you get"

I have been working at United Shore

Pros

I started at, quite possibly, the worst possible time you could start a job. My first day on the floor following training and mentorship I was asked to go home due to the coronavirus pandemic and have been figuring out how to do a brand new job from home ever since. But throughout it all, my leaders have been incredibly helpful and patient. I have peace of mind that I will not be without a job during difficult economic times. I feel like there's a lot of room to grow at this company and they are very willing to teach you everything you need to do your job well. Benefits are good (esp. if you are young) and the workplace has a lot of perks that I do miss now that I'm at home all day. I think this is a great place to start off if you're a younger person right out of college and not entirely sure what you want to do, since there's so many potential career paths here.

Cons

The "firm 40" thing isn't exactly true, especially for underwriting. Pay is a little low by industry standards. The company is definitely going through some tough times at the moment due to the pandemic, but so is everyone.

United Shore2020-05-04

May 5, 2020

Thanks for leaving a review and welcome to our family! We appreciate your patience and positivity, especially being so new to our team! As you have started to see, our people are our greatest asset and we look forward to having everything back in the office together. Until then, stay healthy and safe!

"Idk"

Current Employee - Lending

I have been working at United Shore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits people gym Cafe Starbucks

Cons

Micro management task and quizzes

United Shore2020-05-12

May 19, 2020

Thanks for leaving a review. We are happy to have you part of the United Shore family! Our task system is a great way for us to create communication and transparency for an assignment or project and has the removed the need for long emails chains with several people CC’d and no one knowing who is supposed to take action. Our trainings and quizzes are in support of our 5th pillar, continuous improvement. We want to be sure all our team members are committed to getting better every day, and that’s why we continue to offer trainings developed by our award winning training team.

"Disappointed with Leadership"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love my job, team and clients

Cons

I had a hard time writing this because I love my job I love my team and I love what I do isn’t that why we work for UWM? But decisions by underwriting leadership have made me scared to come to work because of the verbal abuse, threats of firing or constant degrading through team and floor wide email chains. We are expected to clear out all loans within one hour of clocking in prior we had expectations to handle the-senior queues, CRs and communication well now they’re choosing to WOW our clients with faster turn times to bring in more business even though we have strenuous overlays and below great pricing. So with the added stress of having only one hour to clear out every single loan in the queue we are also expected to hit our commitment. As of last month we were told that we will no longer be earning our bonus which means that those with a commitment of 15 earn the same with those with a commitment of five. We are constantly struggling to find loans, to do audit for other peoples loans as well as prove that we are working during this time if they’d like to see that we truly are working they would see that we’re constantly in files monitoring our emails and even our phone calls we still receive we are all full functional as we are required to in order to work from home. On the floor it’s been told that they’re trying any reason to fire people as they can’t afford to keep us around which At first I thought was ridiculous given my seniority with the company and not something I could see them doing but after hearing multiple people get fired from minor infractions even though they are good at their jobs and they’re great with client service it honestly makes me feel so sad. We are told to do these trainings every day which I get that our training team is putting time and effort into but if we don’t complete one of these trainings by 3 PM which is halfway through our shift we will get fired. I only write this because the demeanor of the VPs email sent out every day is us being told that we do not do good enough that we do not deserve our positions and that we need to work harder with the constant hourly changes that they make. It almost seems like they don’t know what’s even going on and expect us to be the ones to be perfect which I think we have a very good team hard-working underwriters and that’s why were also the number one whole sale lender in the country maybe it’s been a while since these VPs themselves have been in the underwriting spot but I really wish they’d humble themselves and learn that they have a great team they’re working with. It’s easy to tell other people what to do when you haven’t been in a time like this especially as we have family members who are dying we’re being told to be empathetic to clients because their loans can’t go through but what do you say to team members who have to return after three days of bereavement when they can’t even bury their family because of the pandemic. It’s so disheartening and while I love this company at this point in time I am ashamed by the actions of the leadership and really hope that they have the right people in place.

United Shore2020-04-29

May 1, 2020

Thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate hearing about your concerns. This gives us an opportunity to amend and improve. We are trying to make sure we are getting loans out as quickly and efficiently as possible, there is no pressure to get loans completed within one hour. We are focusing on maintaining a 3 hour turnaround time on new loans submitted, which is similar to what we were already doing just with a bigger focus. We’re a bit alarmed to hear about your hesitations and want to clarify a few things to ensure you’re at ease. First, we do want to clarify that although production bonuses are currently suspended, no underwriter is being forced to hit their prior commitment as we are using this time for our team members to expand their horizons through our trainings and other avenues during these times of uncertainty. Secondly, rumors are rumors. There will be no layoffs, just as our CEO has expressed. But during this time, we are expecting for everybody to be hands on deck and to be giving their best performance as possible during their 8-hour work day. Email chains should never be threatening, abusive or degrading, if you are interpreting them that way please send them directly to me to address. Finally, we want to express that we are undoubtedly here for YOU, and we know we have a great team of underwriters. We recognize this is a stressful time in everybody’s lives, so we want to again double down on our availability to hear your concerns. We are FAMILY here. If you’d like to discuss your thoughts, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your team leader or even me directly. Additionally, you can reach out to Team Member Services given you want to preserve your anonymity. We’re in this together and we won’t let each other fall! Thanks again for your review. - Kristi Geromette, VP of Underwriting

"Read the con"

1.0
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

The people. There are some really great people that work at United Shore.

Cons

Mat Ishbia mailed out letters to competitors letting them know that if they hire anyone from United Shore that they are in direct violation of a Noncompete Agreement and he will take legal action if it is violated. In the middle of a pandemic where coming in contact of 6 feet or less could result in exposure, Mat Ishbia, the CEO, told all of us that 5-7 feet is fine with a building that holds 5000+ and is an open floor concept where a common cold flies across it. As the responses back to some of these reviews have stated, 98% of the company is currently working from home, but I am in the building. I have personally observed social distancing not being enforced and the cleaning is below sub-par. I watched someone cough without covering their mouth on some desks near me and the cleaning crew didn’t come by for an hour. When I told my leader, he told me I was being negative and I should be more appreciative that I have a job right now. I would’ve reached out to HR, but I met with them before the statewide quarantine was enforced about concerns I had for my family and I was told, “Why are you worried? Everyone will get corona. We should accept it.” A family member of mine has cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. I wouldn’t be in the building now if I could prevent it, but we’ve had issues with our network at home and it was strongly suggested I return. I was looking for a new job because I’m not comfortable working here anymore. I didn’t tell anyone at United Shore that I wanted to leave and I didn’t put any contacts from there on my application. After I had accepted my offer, I was called back and turned down because of Mat’s letter. It was a small mortgage shop that couldn’t take the risk of a lawsuit. I wouldn’t have written this review if I hadn’t have been hired in to United Shore from Quicken. Quicken has the same agreement.

United Shore2020-05-30

"stay away very very very very bad"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pontiac, MI

I worked at United Shore full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

starbucks some nice people wanting company for there misery

Cons

long hours, management takes your money, steals your time, micromanages everything about you while taking advantage of your cell phone and restricting when you get go to the bathroom. you punch in and out so they know they got at least 40 hours from you. ceo says don't eat at your desk in case your teammates have food allergies but then says the real reason is to be sure you're working at your desk and not distracted by food. ceo gaslights entire company by repeatedly saying that social distancing is 5 to 7 feet instead of 6 because the desks are only 5 feet wide. want free pop? help yourself. want a pen and paper to take notes? go get permission from your boss to get some because they don't trust anyone enough to let those expensive items out from under lock and key. seriously. you have to ask for basic office supplies. they will say that punching in and out helps them track when people are working to much so they can decide to hire more. not true. You punch in and out so that they can tell if you arrive and leave on time. if you arrive later than your planned/scheduled start time, your boss will come talk to you about being tardy. What is this, hi school? your salary, but you will be treated like an hourly worker at mcdonalds. other reasons to punch in and out include so they can tell who is taking short lunches. turnover is massive because everyone is miserable and ceo refuses to change organization and culture. they force the smiles you see in pics by firing anyone who they think is negative and they call that coaching out. coach up or coach out is there saying and you will be treated like the newest freshman on their hi school basketball team. horrible horrible company do not take job with them unless you have to and make sure you have an exit plan. everyone else does. they illegally make people come to office during pandemic even though state law says only those who cant work from home are allowed to report to office. be you here is there thing and family company is there thing, but their actions say get to work here even if it puts your actual families health at risk.

United Shore2020-05-27

May 29, 2020

Hi there. We appreciate you leaving a review. We do want to clarify that over 98% of our team members have been working at home since Michigan’s stay-at-home order went into effect. Those few appreciated essential workers who are holding down our home office, including security, IT support, United Services and post-closing, had only the number of essential team members needed to support the business and building. We are conducting health safety checks at the door, adhering to a strict cleaning schedule, making hand sanitizer, masks and gloves readily available throughout the office for every team member. Our people are our number one asset, and we want to be sure they’re as safe as possible.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 621 Reviews