United Shore Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
United Shore President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture encourages team members to get better every day by improving in all aspects of work/ life balance (in 41 reviews)

• 40 Hour Work Week that allows for true work life balance (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Everybody needs a work from home once in a while for work life balance (in 17 reviews)

• There is no cons working for United Shore (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place to work, period!"

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't even been here for a whole year yet and I'm ready to stay forever. I'm all in with this company and I'm blessed to work for such an awesome place! Everyone is super friendly and we have so many perks! We have a gym, Starbucks, escape room, a CEO that wants us all to succeed and promotes from within to encourage growth and so much more. This company makes you feel like you matter and encourages you to be yourself.

Cons

I really don't have any cons. I know there is always room for improvement, but this company is on the right path!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Our company goals are truly motivating and I could not ask to work for a better place, because I'm working for the best!

Jul 17, 2017 – Team Member Services

We love hearing your feedback! It’s great to hear that you are happy here and that you have found your career! Thank you for being a part of our team!

2. "It doesn’t feel like a job"

Current Employee - Condition Splitting Specialist in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Condition Splitting Specialist in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We’re like family and I love coming to work.

Cons

The only thing for me would be the distance from my house. So not an actual con.

Feb 21, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing us a review! We love hearing how you enjoy our family atmosphere and coming to work each day. We enjoy having you here!

3. "Operations"

I have been working at United Shore full-time

Pros

Incredible family atmosphere. Really good culture. Very team oriented. The company legitimately cares about you, the individual.

Cons

There are no cons but whenever a company is growing so fast with so many new employees there can be growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Feb 14, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing us a review! We love hearing that you enjoy the family atmosphere and the fun company culture we have here! Our leadership team and all other team members certainly care for one... More

"It doesn’t make sense"

Current Employee - Team Member in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I look at these reviews and it just doesn’t make sense. Underwriting is so awful? Leadership doesn’t know what they’re doing? Cmon. UWM is the #1 wholesale mortgage company in the COUNTRY. you know how that happened? By constantly raising the bar and expecting more, while increasing the perks while our team members are at work. We have a doctors office, a giant cafeteria, a gym, people who actually care about each other, a work/life balance. Things like that aren’t fake, they happen organically by having an entire organization who cares about the success of the business.

Cons

I’d say it’s the same person who is writing different version of the same reviews over and over. If you don’t think you’re paid well, or you cry at home, or UWM doesn’t care, you have the option to work elsewhere! It’s just crazy that team members would go on here and complain that the CEO came into a meeting and said “I want you to want more, because I want more for you” and take that as a negative. It means a solid living for every team member.

Advice to Management

Look, no place is ever perfect. There is always room for improvement. But over my entire career, I’ve never found a company who genuinely cares as much as UWM about not just it’s team members, but about the industry. If you have a good work ethic and enjoy being fulfilled by your job, this is a fantastic place to be.

Feb 12, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review! You’re right, our leadership team and team members care deeply about each other, as well as the success of the business. The great company perks like the doctor’s... More

"Scared to say!"

Pros

If you are:
    Inexperience
    Easily influenced
    Don’t question processes or authority
    Willing to maintain your knowledge level
    Willing to settle
    Able to follow the unethical cliques and
    Liar
    A kiss butt

This is the company for you!

Cons

If you are professional and want to HONESTLY grow, this is not the company for you! Leaders are bullies at this company..

Advice to Management

Please let people have equal opportunities to better their lively hood. Have HR step in to clear up some of these issues right away. The issues there are HR related. Employees are being harassed and mistreated by leaders from all levels.

Feb 12, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review. We are disappointed to hear that you feel this way. Our leadership team wants all team members to feel treated equally on all accounts and feel comfortable enough to... More

"High Turn Over"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work a firm 45, with a mandatory 1 hour lunch. Free pop, little cafe downstairs with lots of snacks, you meet a lot of great people and get lots of wholesale experience . The CEO is very knowledgeable and has set up a great work flow and process to make loans fly through.

Cons

In sales, you are never good enough. It’s a very... “frat boy” atmosphere that the infamous Quicken pumps out. A lot of harassment from the male colleagues, and leadership goes unchecked. A lot of people get taken advantage of, and it is a popularity game. Most sales leaders only provide good accounts to their favorites, and offer no leadership or advice on how to improve. Most people are stressed every day, because the turn over is so high, and you never know when you are going to be fired, or “two tapped”. Very low pay, and your paycheck will be docked for certain items out of your control, including Epo’s.

If you are any good at sales, you can find a company who will treat you a lot better.

Jan 25, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing us a review. Our Account Executives are critical to our success as a company and requires a motivated individual with a strong work ethic. Our leadership team wants to see... More

"Best Place to Work in Michigan"

Current Employee - Senior Uw in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Uw in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the leadership team. So many options to grow and move up, while constant training to get better. I have gotten a promotion after only 18 months of hard work, and they constantly give us chances to grow.
    Love the 1 on 1 meetings with my leader each month and the all UW meetings too. Even the CEO came to the last meeting and talked about the growth and opportunity for all of us. They ask for our feedback and actually listen and make changes!
    One last thing- firm 40. They only make us work 40 hours, and we can make bonus in those 40 hours, without having to ever work a weekend or night. It is set up perfectly for me and my family, along with most the people on my team.

Cons

Parking is tight. But moving to new HQ in Pontiac in a few months, which is amazing. So excited to have twice the size of a building and parking too. Everyone is excited for the Move.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to everyone as you have. Love the leaders involvement in everything. Stay as the awesome family company that you are, and keep up the good work!

Jan 19, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing us a review! Promoting from within is important to us because we take the time to train up our internal team members to set them up for success. Our leadership team actively... More

"United Shore Leadership Team is Poor...especially in IT"

I worked at United Shore full-time

Pros

- Free drinks (soda, coffee, etc.)
    - Some fun family functions
    - Some good people

Cons

After the mortgage crisis, the mortgage broker went the way of the dinosaur. The mortgage broker effectively disappeared. United Shore is currently riding the wave of the return of the mortgage broker and to a large extent has created it's own market. The growth is pretty phenomenal, but unfortunately the poor and inexperienced leadership team attributes this to their performance and not to the fact that mortgage brokerages, in general, are booming. Markets ebb and flow. United Shore's leadership is ill equipped to deal with recession or another crisis...and god forbid Quicken, Wells Fargo, BofA or any other big bank seriously enters the mortgage broker industry.

Executive leadership across all departments at United Shore is generally inexperienced and poor...but it's by far the worst in IT. The overall leadership in IT is inexperienced, childish and paranoid. This coupled with the fact that many of the leaders have zero technical experience in the area that they are attempting to manage is a recipe for disaster. If you are straight out of college you may like IT at United Shore, but if you have senior level experience or above stay away. In a lot of ways working in IT at United Shore was like returning to high school...the worst parts of high school. It is a drama factory that is exacerbated on a daily basis by leaders who just have no business being leaders.

Lastly, people in IT get fired routinely...and regularly. They just disappear. If you are lucky you may see HR boxing up their stuff in the middle of the day. If not, you hear it through the rumor mill a few days later. Your job is NOT safe. Be forewarned.

Advice to Management

if (Employee.Arrogance == true && Employee.Experienced == false)
    {
         throw Exception("Exception: Poor fit for executive leadership!");
    }

Finally, in 2017 United Shore set a goal for leader bonuses that was based on how many positive glass door reviews the company got. If you noticed there was a HUGE uptick in positive reviews at the end of 2017 so that the leaders could get their bonuses. Leaders were openly encouraged to turn in positive reviews and to encourage their teams to turn in positive reviews so that the company could meet that goal. That is a direct violation of glass door's terms of use. Just an FYI.

Feb 19, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing us a review. Our Leadership team wants what’s best for the company and its team members. We have an open door policy and want all team members to feel comfortable discussing any... More

"Unethical, Childish, and Disgraceful, Does not Deserve its Employees"

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter

I worked at United Shore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Do not work here, this place does not deserve its overworked and underpaid workforce.

Cons

I have never written a negative glassdoor review, even for companies that I really did not enjoy the work environment, but United Shore is so disgraceful that I have no choice.

This company does not care about its employees, at all. You are an at-will employee so that the company can immediately drop you with or without cause. You'll notice the majority of 2018 reviews are all negative; the company has gone way downhill over the past 6 months. United Shore's "pillars" are a complete sham. It is a "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. Being a thumb pointer, for instance, or taking responsibility, does not apply to upper management. In fact, upper management constantly points the finger at someone and always needs to blame someone for anything that goes wrong.

For instance, underwriters in the company gave the United negative ratings on an anonymous survey, so all the team leads were blamed and told they have to change our attitudes even though all they were doing was implementing upper management's policies.

Working here is quite literally like being in high school. Knowledge, hard work, and talent don't help you succeed here. Being a "yes" man and drinking the kool-aid is what helps you succeed. I would not want my worst enemy working at a deplorable place like this.

In more general terms, lets discuss the flaws in the underwriting process. Number one, we are required to pick up our phones 100% of the time. If we go to lunch, our phone must be forwarded to a buddy. If we are on the other line, we must play secretary and put people on hold to answer the other call. Imagine how inefficient this process is. Answering the phone when possible can be a good strategy to assist clients with questions they have for their underwriter, but if we are required to pick up the phone 100% of the time, it immensely slows down our workflow and ensures that clients will always call in with every single little issue since they know we must always pick up. This is an unnecessary complication. The notion that it's a good idea to answer the phone was a genuine attempt by United Shore, and while they took this to an irrational extreme, the end result is at least tolerable. However, this was merely a hint of the direction United Shore planned to go.

Next, lets discuss how production is calculated. There are certain thresholds that an underwriter must hit based on the average number of files they did per day the previous month. However, as United Shore moves forward, they have put a huge focus on making underwriters become processors for the brokers and loan officers by adding additional steps to every file that must be completed to ensure a minimum number of conditions. In theory, this could be a good business strategy: sacrifice how many files an underwriter can do per day by adding steps to the process, costing the company money in hiring more workers, but allowing for a more streamlined process.

However, these production numbers we must hit stay the same, and the production related bonuses stay the same. Therefore, we must either work longer hours for the same pay or work the same hours for less money and be less likely to hit our goals. United Shore is not willing to change their required production or their bonus goals even though they have intentionally changed how long each file takes to underwrite.

Third, the company came up with the idea that underwriters should be sending out video messages to brokers at least once a day. They will spin this as "wowing" a broker or providing better service, but it's just an odd step to add to the process, and since underwriting isn't about sending video messages, many underwriters were not comfortable with the idea. This is amplified by multiple accounts of our young female underwriters experiencing sexual harassment from the brokers. United Shore knew this during the pilot of this video message program, and yet chose to ignore this, either thinking it wasn't a big deal or intentionally wanting to sacrifice integrity and a safe work environment for a few brokers' repeat business, hoping to harass that same underwriter again.

For this video program, there was no public opt out option. According to management, some people who experience anxiety trying to make these videos are allowed to opt out. However, this was never publicly announced, and I know of at least one underwriter that does not believe they can opt out even though they have social anxiety trying to make these videos. Hiding this option from your employees is immoral, and forcing us into uncomfortable and unnecessary situations that were not part of the job we signed up for is shameful.

United Shore's promise of a firm 40 is a lie. Many senior underwriters are forced to work 45-50 hours per week with no paid overtime to hit their numbers. Some of these senior underwriters are making bonus money, but I know of some who are not, and this sharp rise in overtime is based on production requirements staying the same, or rising (4.1 files per day tends to round up to 5), while the length of time to correctly underwrite a file increases daily.

United Shore has been made aware of all of these issues several times by several team leads as well as a lot of their underwriters during an anonymous survey we filled out at the end of the year. The CEO's response was to lecture the entire underwriting floor on why we should want to "improve" ourselves every day or get out of his company. Not only is this a blatant strawman of our complaint because it ignores that fact that there was no compensation for these additional requirements, but it proves how pointless the survey really is. United Shore does not want honest feedback, and while they may pretend they do, once you provide it, they'll either force you to become a "yes" man or let you go for being an at will employee.

Compensation, to be clear, is monetary compensation, not in office "perks" like being able to brag about working for the number 1 wholesale lender, having dance parties and free massages, and having free soda and occasional free candy bars. That's irrelevant for people struggling to pay off their student loan debt or feed their family, and it's degrading to people who want to take their careers seriously.

Additionally, in response to the overtime that many of us are forced to work, the CEO told us that no one worked any overtime. The VP of underwriting told me that no one should be working overtime. They think if they deflect enough and pretend that anyone complaining about having to work extensive unpaid overtime is the odd man out, maybe we'll stop complaining and keep producing the same results. United Shore expects results, but does not provide a reasonable framework to achieve those results.

I have provided my advice anonymously and in my exit interview several times over to United Shore management. Furthermore, if you review their responses to the negative reviews from just 2018 alone, you will see they do not take the advice seriously that is listed on glassdoor. You can see from the way they respond to anyone that leaves negative feedback that they never address the issue, but deflect by saying they have the best trainers, the best management, the best perks etc. Take it from someone that doesn't have any agenda but to inform you of what you're getting into rather than from someone whose agenda is to try to cover up the insanity parade that goes on at this place.

Therefore, any advice I have for management will fall on deaf ears, so I will leave that section blank. This review is not to improve the company. United Shore will not improve until upper management decides to value their employees, and that will not happen until the company's best people leave or get forced out. Once that happens, leadership will consist of a bunch of "yes" men that don't know how to lead and only know how to spot other "yes" men, and underwriting will consist of overworked new hires that don't have the experience to leave and are constantly belittled and berated into submission. Once that is their workforce, they will not be able to address serious questions within the framework of the underwriting guidelines with brokers, and even their one-day turn times will not save them from their lack of experience. That will result in a slew of brokers that do not respect underwriters unless we bend over backwards to make their files work, which will give United Shore two costly options: Stand firm on our decisions and watch the business scatter, or get bullied into closing unqualified files, which will result in bad loans.

Once that happens, and once the company finally falls off their high horse, realizes what their policies have led to, and eats that massive cost, only then will they actually start looking to make changes. Only then will feedback and criticism be relevant.

Feb 12, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review. Our underwriters hold a very important role within our company which allows the loan process to move along smoothly from beginning to end. We wouldn’t be the... More

"Stay away!!!"

Current Employee - IT Professional in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Troy, MI

I have been working at United Shore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Free coffee and soft drinks.
    *Firm 40.
    *The people (team members) are nice.
    *Company is willing to train you.
    *Relaxed dress code (except for AE's)
    *Suite tickets to LCA, Ford Field, and Comerica Park

Cons

*no work from home (unless your are a VP, CISO, on the good list)
    *leaders are mostly unqualified
    *PTO policy sucks
    *no sick days
    *Bonus aren't for every department
    *You cant take lunch when you want to.
    *Leaders treat you like kids.
    *No formal structure in the IT department
    *EXTREMELY HIGH TURNOVER.
    *You even have to bring your kids to work with you if they have no school due to a snow day.

Advice to Management

Something has got to change. There is a reason why you cant keep your top talent in IT. For the first few months, it was great....the last few not so much. United Shore's true colors are showing now. The work from home policy is a joke. The only want you connecting to the VPN for night work. I've had to burn several days of PTO when I shouldn't have to. If there are personal issues at home, REAL companies will allow you to WFH and take care of the issues. UWM does not. I see people are miserable here.

Its a sad thing to see multiple people taking job lead calls in the open. No one is happy. If you are a recent college graduate, this place might be for you. If you are a seasoned IT professional....stay away!!! Do not drink the Orange and Blue Kool-Aid.

Feb 12, 2018 – Team Member Services

Thank you for writing a review. Technology is an important part of our business and we like to push the envelope to continuously improve our technology on a daily basis. Our firm 40 hour work weeks... More