United Site Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ron Carapezzi

"Don't expect professionalism at a porta-potty company."

Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

I negotiated a good salary for myself. They had benefits, but they were minimal.

Cons

Senior management and executives lead through intimidation. These people will scream and cuss at you to get what they want. They will berate you and beat you down in public and they do NOT want you to disagree with them or show them a better way. Employees are hired based on friendships and fired based on grudges. I negotiated my salary and they held it over my head the entire time, telling me that I had to move closer to the office or they'd fire me. It was the most toxic environment I've ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Put your customers and your employees first. Listen to them. Treat them with dignity and respect. Modernize your order entry, inventory, and routing systems. Stop the cussing and yelling and 'mafia' management style. Create an inclusive and empowering culture.

"Slave Labor in the Year 2012 !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I have been working at United Site Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Company Coffee and a Lousy Paycheck !

Cons

Where do I start ?!
    1] Antiquated Technology
    2] Crummy Middle Management
    3] Lousy Corporate Communication

Advice to Management

Try walking around your Sales/ Customer Service Departmnents more than once a Year !

"This company buys company's only to devalue them."

Former Employee - Lead Service Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lead Service Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at United Site Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you work for a company that is purchased by this giant, your first two years are going to be sweet! When the take over begins this group does everything to make you feel like all of your years of service and hard work means a lot. You will receive good benefits and lots of overtime.

Cons

Here comes the rub, as you work on this group will take away sick time personal days and bonus's. but the hardest thing to watch is the lack of attention that is given to those around
    You both co-workers and customer alike. You be locked in your pay rate and your benefits will cost you more yearly,up to 25% of your monthly pay.

Advice to Management

Looking ahead you would be well severed to be more focused on mid-management control when left with the rains. People make a company strong, the team in place when the new company was purchased must have done a lot right because that's why they were bought.

"It was not a good experience. I wasted a coupe of good earning years with this outfit."

Former Employee - Account Manager-Construction Sector
    Former Employee - Account Manager-Construction Sector

I worked at United Site Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good benefit package and none of their paychecks bounced...that's about it.

Cons

A lot of turnover. Very poor customer service is a service driven industry. The pump truck drivers while most are good employees, it only takes a couple to make life a living hell. Because of a lack of quality candidates for the position, they take anyone with a heartbeat that can string a few words together to form a complete sentence. Lower and middle management, the ones I dealt with were completely incompetent. I went thru five managers in my two years there. USS grows their business by acquiring all the local mom and pop shops, so the customers with a need for their services have no choice but to use them. Many, many headaches because of the lack of satisfactory customer service. Calls from construction project managers 6am thru 7pm dealing with complaints and irate customers. Made me want to put a bullet in my brain

Advice to Management

Work with the customers, don't alienate them, price gauge them and then don't hold up your end of the service bargain. Otherwise, you'll have a short reign in the industry.

"Forgetful, glad to have moved on..."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Westborough, MA

I have been working at United Site Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros:
    Free pizza every other Friday
    Somewhat flexible hours in sales
    Hands off management (or uninterested, either way)
    Good base salary

Cons

Cons:
    HR is NOT friendly
    Porta-potties and trash containers
    Management is too hands off. My Manager had 9 direct reports that all sat in the same area, yet he was not involved. Did not help me through 1 sale/situation.
    Sales also does collections! Hahaha...
    Very poor communication between markets.
    Decisions on sales are made by Market Ops Mgt (really bad idea).
    Very poor inventory.
    Equally poor inventory systems.
    Also, if you give your 2 weeks notice, you'll be let go without pay.

Not a good opportunity. Take this job as a band-aid until you find a real opportunity.

Sooooooo boring!

Advice to Management

After 5 years of service you get a United Site jean jacket. That's not how to attract and maintain talent.

"Please this is a horrible company. Take it if you need a job but keep looking"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Orlando, FL

I have been working at United Site Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beat them up for pay. they will cave in.

Cons

really unorganized and everybody is in charge! you will have at least 3 bosses all of which want something completely different than the others. You will be backstabbed I guarantee it.

Advice to Management

None. nobody will listen to a possible good idea so why waste the effort.

"Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benicia, CA

I worked at United Site Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a full time job, with a chance for a lot of overtime. Coworkers are friendly and willing to help out if they are in the area.

Cons

Managers push to the point that as a commercial driver you endanger your self and loosing your license. No appreciation for the hard work you put it in.

Advice to Management

Treasure your hard working employees and stop looking at them as a number. Fix the vehicles and make them road safe so they don't endanger others.

"Sales Management"

Former Employee - Sales Management
    Former Employee - Sales Management

I worked at United Site Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and have some solid employees who are truly dedicated and work hard

Cons

Upper management manages through intimidation, politics and fear. Operations manages sales which makes for a dysfunctional approach. IT systems are outdated, internal morale is horrid as employees work hard but fear the wrath of finger pointing from upper management. Pricing seldom makes sense. The goal of the company is to intimidate market through acquisition and charge outrageous market premiums while collecting incredibly high margins. Employees are stretched far too thin and the rubber band will break in time.

Advice to Management

Look at your assets and treat them as such rather then letting people get ahead by stepping on others and through intimidation and micro management. Can only squeeze the piggy bank so hard before it breaks.

"politics and mind games"

Former Employee - Credit in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Credit in Modesto, CA

I worked at United Site Services (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at all!

Cons

Everything is a con! If you are not part of the CLICK you don't matter just another warm body sitting at a desk!!!

Advice to Management

why they won't listen and they don't care!!!

"AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL"

Pros

Medical benefits & weekly direct deposit (but you can get those at other companies)

Cons

It starts at the top. United gets passed on from one investment group to another. Their only goal is revenue so executive management can cash out. Operations, drivers and outside sales are treated terribly. Employees do NOT get raises, they increase your work load and sell you on making more money but the goals are not attainable. Don't waste your time here.

Advice to Management

All of the "executive" management team should be fired along with your mid management minions.