United States Olympic Committee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Scott Blackmun

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great opportunity to work for a greater good and help people achieve life long dreams (in 3 reviews)

• Great people to work with and great cause to support (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management doesn't treat people very well except for a few favorites (in 3 reviews)

• director progression seen across most other divisions of the USOC) (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"USOC Employee Review - Development Division"

Former Employee - Development Writer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Development Writer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at the USOC as an intern, during which I was entrusted with key USOC communications initiatives in the lead-up to the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games and had an onsite assignment in Sochi. I started my position in the Development Division shortly after returning from Sochi. Working with the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Foundation in its early stages was an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to help develop the voice of the foundation and build key messaging around Team USA's philanthropic need. Even though the Development Division has many remote staff, I always felt like I was working alongside a motivated and supportive team. I was encouraged to take on ambitious projects and professional development opportunities that interested me. Finally, the work-life balance, schedule flexibility and wellness program opportunities available at the USOC were above and beyond.

Cons

Working with so many remote staff came with its expected challenges, and it was important to be proactive about keeping the lines of communication open. In addition, it was sometimes difficult to envision what career progression might look like for some of the "specialist" roles in the Development Division (as compared to the standard assistant > coordinator > manager > director progression seen across most other divisions of the USOC).

Advice to Management

I would encourage the USOC as a whole, and the Development Division specifically, to take advantage of the career progression tools available via the company's time entry/performance management software. Employees can set career progression goals with their managers, and record progress toward those goals in a clear and measurable way over time. I believe all USOC employees were briefed on these tools, but it was unclear whether many divisions were proactively using them.

2. "Team Team Team"

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ideals and values the Olympic message encompasses are evident; these athletes who are continuing to pursue their dreams makes you want to help them bring home the gold!

Cons

Short staffing
    Lack of real leadership in immediate department
    A loss of morale and cohesive team oriented environment

Advice to Management

Be an active voice amongst the people who work closely with you. Encourage with positive feedback and be sincere
    Refrain from acting childish and verbally abusing your subordinates in front of others

3. "Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people with some schedule flexibility

Cons

Compensation is not comparable to other organizations (for profit)

4. "Upper management politics is terrible"

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and great cause to support.

Cons

Politics sucks the life out of you if you are in management.

5. "Coordinator, Sports Medicine Operations"

Former Employee - Coordinator, Sports Medicine Operations in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The people at the USOC are very mission driven. Everyone knows the mission statement by heart, knows how their role applies to the mission, and gives their best possible effort to achieve that mission.
    2) The coworkers I have at the USOC make coming to work each morning an absolute joy.

Cons

If you let it, your work/life balance can easily be thrown off here.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the ideas of all employees.

6. "Mostly positive experience"

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time

Pros

The cause you're working for is inspiring and there are some of the most passionate people you'll meet. There are some very qualified and charismatic leaders in top positions, such as the CEO who has turned things around drastically for the organization.

Cons

Of course there are also not-so-qualified individuals in supervisory roles who bring the org down. And it makes all the difference to get in with the right department because some are top-notch, others are so-so and there are those that would make you want to leave. It would be smart to talk to as many people as you can with experience with the USOC.

Advice to Management

Really need to consider who gets promoted and who doesn't. There are some really talented hard-workers who aren't getting recognition, while the individuals who make waves to detract from their poor work ethic and inability to produce are being rewarded.

7. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great networking opportunities within the USOC and NGBs

Cons

None, this internship changed my life

"Fantastic place to work!"

I have been working at United States Olympic Committee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, cool mission, motivated and talented people

Cons

Slow to change, middle management has difficulties delegating

"Internship Program"

Former Employee - NGB Coordinator in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - NGB Coordinator in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Wonderful team of individuals to work with, free gym access, networking opportunities galore. You work with the most driven and successful people at a global level. Internships are different based on department, but supervisors allow interns to branch out into other departments to gain additional experiences. No one should complain about their internship experience if they didn't put in the work on the front end. This is regarded as one of the most selective internships and rightly so.

Cons

There are no cons. If you're an intern, you are always second to the athletes that are training there; that's the way it should be. As a former athlete, a former intern, a former contractor and now a full time employee, each person plays a role in the team behind the team. You don't ask for recognition, it is earned. Work hard!!

Advice to Management

Keep this program going! It has been a wonderful experience!

10. "Athletes are Inspiring; Culture is Rough"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at United States Olympic Committee full-time

Pros

It is inspiring to work with the Olympians and Paralympians and the events are very exciting.

Cons

In-fighting among some of the influential chiefs flows down to their departments and creates cross-functional tension. Senior management doesn't treat people very well except for a few favorites.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the alarming rate that women over 40 find themselves demoted or their "positions eliminated."