United States Steel Reviews in Gary, IN | Glassdoor

2.5
United States Steel President and Chief Executive Officer Mario Longhi
Mario Longhi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent pay and benefits for the work performed (in 56 reviews)

• Good pay and benifits and vac time (in 89 reviews)

1. "maintenance technician"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Gary, IN

I worked at United States Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, wages, chance for advancement, enjoyed all 36 years!

Cons

dangerous, harsh work elements, extreme heat from molten metal, pay attention always! Shiftwork for entire 36 years, love it!

Advice to Management

Invest, invest, invest, for today and tomorrow! Value your social responsibilities.

2. "Mechanical Analyst PdM"

Current Employee - Mechanical Analyst PdM in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Analyst PdM in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great health benefits. Extension overtime opportunities to increase earnings. Safety program that tries.

Cons

Tedious work. It all gets a bit mundane after awhile. Lack of planning. Fighting fires instead of using our brains.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth. We're all in this together. We all need each other.

"Not overly terrible, could be a lot better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I worked at United States Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, there are some really excellent managers hidden amongst the majority of terrible ones, 401K, insurance plans and their very stringent on Safety.

Cons

Work/Life balance is awful. You're basically on call 24 hours a day and it doesn't matter if it's your kids birthday or not, if the mills down, you're going to work. Their production is more important than your personal life no matter the circumstances. The CW while it has been effective in some ways, is more or less a sham. They don't want actual change. I've seen bright kids get hired in over the years who have new ideas and a fresh outlook who could really bring something more to the table then the norm only to be discouraged and shot down time and time again. The old way is always going to be the only way. Technology and upgrades happen, but their shotty, unreliable and are eventually discarded to go back to the old ways in a lot of cases. I've had union employees who are great, hardworking and diligent, however their not the norm either. Most of them are lazy, have 0 pride in workmanship or quality. The accountability for employees doing a terrible job is a joke. Unfortunately the great ones are the older guys who are leaving in droves with retirement and their taking their years of knowledge with them. There is little to no training for the new people coming in to replace these individuals.

Advice to Management

You know these old guys are leaving and taking all of their experience with them - you need to develop a program for the younger guys to learn everything they can from these people or that knowledge will be lost and you will relive your past mistakes. Your "learner" program isn't cutting it. Hold your people accountable. You know which employees, managers and union are a drain - work harder to get rid of them. Your pay while decent, isn't competitive. You have people coming out of college making more than some of your managers that were hired in years prior. Why would they stay when AM is right down the street and pays a lot more, has a more global structure to keep them afloat during down times and aren't as draining on their managers personal lives. Take better care of your managers who give you everything they have - you know who they are. A T-shirt and plaque, while nice, isn't that great either. Paid time off, bonuses, a paid for vacation for them and their family without interruption is a great start. People leave the company more so because of bad leadership, they don't feel valued and less because of the job itself. Reinstate some of the activities you cut during the initial downturn - like a Christmas party. Goodwill goes along way to people giving you more. We all understand the bottom line, but treating people as a body or salary number isn't good for morale and yours is currently dreadful.

4. "Great stepping stone."

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement. Some positions are easy to learn if you are willing to do the leg work.

Cons

Hours are around the clock 24/7. A lot of the managers are in wrong positions to benefit the company. Company is behind ten years with the rest of the world.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward

5. "Lifetime USS Employee"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have worked at USS for 20 years and the company has been a good place to work.

Cons

There have been a lot of challenges to the business as we have tried to deal with the surge of dumped steel into this country.

Advice to Management

The company is trying to compete with other facilities that are designed to produce low cost steel (see Big River). Over the past 10 years we have stuck to our inefficient facilities while investing billions on Oracle.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The insurance (while it's still provided) & guaranteed paycheck (for what it's worth).

Cons

The Cons: there's a LONG list of them. Let's see, the company will pull your labor grade from you & force reduce you to the lowest amount of pay possible, with no questions asked or no warning whatsoever. They will take full rate maintenance personnel & place them in a labor gang at a LG1 with no incentive to make their financial books look good. There are still displaced workers from rated maintenance positions all over the place. They say its to cut costs, but yet, upper executives & management are still receiving their "huge bonuses". The hourly employees, the ones who keep the place running & producing get a quarterly profit sharing of $.01. Yes thats correcy 1 PENNY! Talk about a smack in the face. They aren't even issuing us a check for the amount owed! This company does not care about its employees. Your just a number to them. They put brothers & sisters lives on the line to get a job done. The safety is a joke to them. They preach safety in the meetings & that's where it's left. I could go on & on about the "cons" of working for this hell hole. Just read the rest of the reviews & you can form your own opinion. Growing up in the region we learned that if you got a job at this mill, you were set & it was a great place to work for. 100% complete opposite nowadays. Stay away from here if you know what's best for you & your family. YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK HERE!

Advice to Management

Restructure the whole organization. Know that it's your hourly workers, the union ones, who work safely to get you those bonuses that you all get. Start treating your men & women as an asset to this company rather than a number. Without them, you wouldn't have a job. 90% of you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground & wouldn't know how to keep the place running. The Carnegie Way is nothing but a joke. Cost cutting for what? To put more money in your pockets? Remember, we the workforce are the ones who put our blood, sweat & tears into this whole operation, to keep it running, to keep it producing! All the while you sit back on your high horses, collecting these big bonuses, talking about "look what I did"...without us you wouldn't have jobs! There's been too many injuries, too many fatalities due to your lack of safety. It starts at the top, as managers, as the leaders to change things in the workforce for the better.

"If you enjoy beatings this place is for you!"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The paycheck usually arrives on-time. Parking is ample if you like walking. And, if you like working for 24-28 year old childish front line managers that literally couldn't care less whether you live or die, then this is the place for you. I've been there for 20 years, so, I'm well experienced with most of the nuances of Gary Works.

Cons

Well, if you don't like your schedule being totally variable, being dictated to by children/recent college grads, indifferent upper management, or being a member of a union that has only exists to take your money while siding with the company seemingly the majority of the time, then you won't like working for this company.

Advice to Management

For all of the newly hired managers, if you like being treated like a whipping boy, have your life completely consumed by your employer, and want to be treated like crap otherwise, then US Steel is for you, especially at Gary Works. For those that survive their first 5 years without quitting, you are either sadistic, masochistic or completely oblivious or immune to pain.

8. "Downward spiral"

Current Employee - Gary Works South Blast Furnaces Grunt in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Gary Works South Blast Furnaces Grunt in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money if you give up your life
    Great coworkers

Cons

Management has a hard time listening and trusting the hourly workers

Advice to Management

Quit hiring entry level managers from Purdue!
    Send us our $.01 profit sharing!
    Stop whipping the mules that pull the hardest

"Train operator"

Current Employee - Train Operations in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Train Operations in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance is free,hourly rate of pay is good,pension 401k

Cons

Dangerous atmosphere, failure to have mngt listen to any advice,too many lazy ppl,favoritism runs rampat.aggressive foul mouthed bosses.

Advice to Management

Look to make money for the company instead of being bribed by contractors for lunches and random gifts

"Pitt side burner"

Current Employee - Slide Gate in Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Slide Gate in Gary, IN

I have been working at United States Steel full-time

Pros

Awesome money easy 100k...insurance awesome dental awesome vision great..and it's free to employees...employer pays for insurance

Cons

Gotta put in the time for the money to be good...

Advice to Management

Some good Some bad..