United Technologies Reviews in East Hartford, CT | Glassdoor

United Technologies President & CEO Gregory J. Hayes
Gregory J. Hayes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company doesn't want to hire enough people to have a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Limited career advancement opportunities between business units (in 19 reviews)

1. "UTAS Program Office Mechanical Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - UTAS Program Office Mechanical Engineering in East Hartford, CT
    Former Intern - UTAS Program Office Mechanical Engineering in East Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to work and learn in an environment where I was surrounded by PhD and Master’s degree graduates. The work I did was high level, state of the art, and technically challenging. United Technologies is a large company however the research center, for the most part, didn’t have a big company vibe it felt more like a community.

Cons

I was the yougest person there by at least 10 years. Projects get drawn out or cut short due to budgets.

"Layers and more layers"

Current Employee - Human Resources in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The facilities have nice office space with free parking and free coffee. Facilities are clean and safe with onsite cafeterias. If you need a job this is not a bad place but if you want a career where your contributions are recognized, this might not be the right match. The culture is one of conformity.

Cons

A lot of the Director and VP level employees have been with the company for decades and don't want to give up control. Where I work, people are micromanaged. It 's a bureaucratic place. Don't speak up or your will be ostracized. Makes for very long days sitting in a window-less cubicle. Turnover is high in my business as you can tell from the constant stream of job postings.

Advice to Management

Talking about change, is not a strategy. Get rid of these antiques who have been with the company longer than I have been alive. They don't bring the fresh perspective the company so desperately needs and are suffocating those who want to do things differently.

"Big Company that can’t get out of its own way"

Former Employee - IT Manager in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Manager in East Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to shine given all the incompetence at various levels of the disorganization. Decent benefits including health, dental, vision. Flexibility to move around to different business units

Cons

Low pay given the workload. There’s tremendous incompetence everywhere, especially in the retained IT staff. I’m enjoying how they’re slapping the word “Digital” on all the dinosaurs still working there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

4. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in East Hartford, CT

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

♣ Top performer who makes decisions to reflect positively on globally based operations success in alignment with a company’s vision, value, and goals, and showcases an ability to see the “big picture” within diverse industries while leading by example to drive multimillion-dollar business and a strong history of core growth and profits.

Cons

I do not make my desire to move up known to my superiors, no challenge and slow move

Advice to Management

Change then look for a result

5. "They take care of us"

Current Employee - Financial Leadership Program in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Financial Leadership Program in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New policy of 15 days of paid time off. Employee scholar program. Job mobility within the company to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Still trying to appeal to millennials. A lot if potential, but still your stereotypical office job. However your job options within the company are endless and it is very common to change roles every few years within the enterprise to advance your own worth.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge us.

"Toxic culture, even though attempting to change...."

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunities that you can take elsewhere

Cons

Will bring in talent from outside prior to promoting from within.
    Lack of teamwork, limited raises and limited promotions

Advice to Management

People being promoted are those who best manage up , can talk themselves out of anything and don't do any real work....

"Good place to start a career, but no place to move."

Current Employee - Staff Engineer/Scientist, Research Engineering in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall work schedules are flexible. Most people are good to work with. Some good younger talent if they can remove some of the dead weight in the way.

Cons

Go-getters get shouldered with all of the work. Yearly reviews result in everyone getting the same review and similar raise. This is very de-motivating

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There's a reason that employee surveys are below 50% favorability. Managers don't know how to be leaders and as a result there is no long-term vision

"Great company, no room for growth"

Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, company is starting to promote work/life balance, employee scholar program. Great technology, company is on the forefront of innovation in Aerospace.

Cons

UTC has a very lean IT organization. The chances of moving up at this company are slim to none. You are better off leaving and coming back, rather than giving loyalty and expecting to move up. Not the right company if you want to go down the management track. Not the right company if you're technical, most IT is outsourced. Great company if you solely want to be a Project Manager.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate how you hire from within. Sometimes the talent pool you have is better than finding hot resources outside.

"Trying to change"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Attempting to be less bureaucratic and take more risks, great employee benefits

Cons

Leadership is all white males. You have to choose between family and career.

Advice to Management

Don't just look at young people as the next leaders, you need to have so worker bees as well.

"Pays the bills"

Former Employee - Project Manager in East Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in East Hartford, CT

Pros

Various opportunities to move around

Cons

Culture is very bad and work / life balance is non-existent