United Technologies Manufacturing Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"HOURLY"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really appreciate that UTEC is paying for my college education. The atmosphere is relaxed. It really is a good place to work.

Cons

The hourly pay is currently on a two-tier system. In my opinion it needs to be adjusted so that there is equal pay for equal work. Because of this system, it has created some hard feelings among employees.

United Technologies2016-01-27

"Plant is closing"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

I worked at United Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good pay for the area for unskilled work. - Actual benefits, if you survive the 90 day probation period.

Cons

- Plant is closing sometime in the 3rd quarter of 2017. What more can you say? - You work 19 days in a row, then one weekend off. You frequently work 10 hours a day. 70 hour work weeks are common. - Rampant nepotism. - You don't have a life. - You can be on your feet for the full 10 hours each work day. - Probation period is brutal. You must be here every day you are scheduled. If you are late, even by one minute, or fail to show, you are fired immediately. No excuses, no exceptions. - You will be mandated to pass upgrade training on forklifts, various equipment, and electronic assembly techniques. Fail any of the upgrade training tests, you are fired immediately.

Advice to Management

By now, you should be using temp. agencies to handle the short-term staffing needs of this facility The closing is public knowledge. Direct hire of the hourly workers wastes the time of the salaried staff.

United Technologies2016-08-11
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"In Dire Need of Management & Policy Makeover!!!!"

Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

I worked at United Technologies

Pros

Most of the people are great to work, the jobs are easy, other than that nothing good to say!!

Cons

Coaches and line leads are union employees and very biased in their opinions on probationary people and their work assessments and favor the union employees over everything said and done. Probationary employees are told to keep their mouths shut and will be abused in their first 90 days!! They mean that literally!!! Union employees can treat probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully and probationary employees aren't allowed to stand up for themselves against this type of treatment, when I complained about an employee treating myself and two other probationary employees rudely and disrespectfully, I was terminated and the union employee was allowed to continue this behavior until a few months after my termination when she called the new line lead a name, she was placed on a 3 day suspension and then given her job back, when she should have been fired according to company policy about treating each other respectfully at all times. Probationary employees aren't allowed to make any mistakes during their 90 days or they are fired. Too many stupid excuses are used for getting rid of probationary employees such as the above reasons, which happened to myself and another probationary employee who quit before they fired her for registering a complaint about the union employee. I didn't figure I would be accused of not getting along with employees by registering a complaint against a union employee and standing up for myself and two other probationary employees to be spoken to without disrespect and rudeness. Nor did I anticipate being let go and told I willfully performed poor quality work after I made a mistake during training on one of the insertion machines when I inadvertently put a part on backwards on the machine and my trainer was placed on another line and at opposite end from where I was instead of being with me to watch what I was doing and correcting me when needed. The biggest cop out excuse for my termination was I was not a proper fit for the company despite the fact that I have an Associates Degree in Electronics Engineering and have worked in other companies as their field service technician and Junior/Senior Engineering Technician.

Advice to Management

Your policy states that all employees will treat each other respectfully at all times, this should also apply to your union employees more so than the probationary employees since they set the example for probationary employees. No one should be in union status and placed in positions of shift coach or line lead since union members protect their fellow union brothers and sisters before they would be fair to a probationary employee. Your hiring of employees for your pool candidates is a cop out for hiring people long enough to get caught up and then getting rid of them afterwards before they are able to join the union, hire a temporary agency instead of messing with people's lives. People give up jobs to take up employment with your company to better themselves but also to help assist your company in meeting your customer needs, treat them the way they deserve to be treated, an asset to your company not as a liability. Your company has fired many people who would have done a great job for you. Stop placing adds for your pool candidates when you have employees laid off!!

United Technologies2015-03-27
  5. "Not good not terrible."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Huntington, IN

I have been working at United Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most the people I work with are great and I've been in the office and the floor. The benefits are good as well.

Cons

Work life balance. Many 7 day weeks. Management like to screw over the floor workers anyway they can.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy people need to make a living as well.

United Technologies2014-09-21