United Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
United Technologies President & CEO Gregory J. Hayes
Gregory J. Hayes

Pros
Cons
  • Company doesn't want to hire enough people to have a good work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Limited career advancement opportunities between business units (in 19 reviews)

"Toxic culture, even though attempting to change...."

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunities that you can take elsewhere

Cons

Will bring in talent from outside prior to promoting from within.
    Lack of teamwork, limited raises and limited promotions

Advice to Management

People being promoted are those who best manage up , can talk themselves out of anything and don't do any real work....

"Sr Mfg Engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UTC offers a lot of potential for people willing to work hard and continue learning. Great group of working constituents.

Cons

Management (Goodrich mgmt. personnel) too dictative, and arrogant. Enjoyed threatening hard working and well meaning employees just to appear impressive. Provided no positive encouragement only criticisms.

Advice to Management

Be more human. Don't make up lies and most of all don't be so sneaky as to contrive to fabricate false inputs from employee peers to juxtapose incriminating evidence to terminate people at random.

"Marketing and Communications"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

I worked at United Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and technology that is essential to the future.

Cons

Old school, bureaucratic culture. There's a disconnect between the "change in culture" the company says it seeks to spark through its talent acquisition and how they conduct business on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

Focus on results, not process and politics. Amazon is successful in large part because they aren't afraid to try new things. Try new things! Trust the people who you have promoted and hired. Otherwise, you're just wasting time, talent, and money.

4. "Senior Counsel"

Former Contractor - Senior Counsel in Farmington, CT
    Former Contractor - Senior Counsel in Farmington, CT

I worked at United Technologies as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

UTC is the parent organization for major multinational companies (Pratt & Whitney, Carrier, Otis, Hamilton Sundstrand)

Cons

UTC itself is a holding company & utilizes several acronyms (UTAS, BIS, CCS) that are more confusing than helpful to outside business professionals

Advice to Management

Be careful when selecting whom to work with at UTC

"Big company, lots to learn, but many layers of leadership often looking out for themselves not those underneath."

Current Employee - Senior Stress Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Stress Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technical experts to learn from and lots of growth potential across different programs. Education reimbursement. Flexible work schedule. Defined methods and processes.

Cons

Management doesnt get it on how to retain top talent. Lots of politics here. It's rare to work with people here who arent just trying to climb the ladder--who actually care about the product and doing the job right.

Advice to Management

Understand that even passionate, driven, intellgent employees aren't doing it only to feel good. No amount of team building makes up for taking away the 10% bonuses the pre-acquisition company used to give.

"Trying to change"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at United Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Attempting to be less bureaucratic and take more risks, great employee benefits

Cons

Leadership is all white males. You have to choose between family and career.

Advice to Management

Don't just look at young people as the next leaders, you need to have so worker bees as well.

"Otis Elevator Company"

Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Solution Center Manager in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Solution Center Manager in Farmington, CT

I worked at United Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and retirement program. United Technologies has a very diverse workforce and fosters an inclusive environment for all employees.

Cons

United Technologies is a strong company, Otis Elevator, doesn't represent their best work. Otis lacks leadership that stands behind their management teams and doesn't sweep issues under the rug in an effort to avoid internal litigation.

Advice to Management

Revisit your policies and undergo an external audit to better gauge morale and ethical practices.

8. "Change Management Growing Pains"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fairfield, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fairfield, CA

I worked at United Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, pay, and employees are good to work with. The leadership team is green, but is really trying to make a difference and manage change for the positive

Cons

Lack of continuity. Treats contractors as if they are second class citizens

Advice to Management

Breath, nail down some serious process improvements. Build a team at the top and model it to the rest of the company. Hold people accountable for working as a team and stop the negative talk. Especially, at the top.

9. "Intern Experience at UTC CCS"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bradenton, FL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bradenton, FL

I worked at United Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I was given more responsibility than anticipated. I worked on several projects that affected national managers and felt that I was significantly contributing to the team. I had a great manager, who was brilliant and he allowed me to work on these projects independently with little interference.

Cons

The office I was located in was small. I felt that everyone knew who I was since I was one of only four interns and the only one from my school. Sometimes working with older adults was uncomfortable, and felt that they judged me a lot. There were no programs designed for intern interaction and we rarely saw each other except for outside of work.

Advice to Management

Create a common intern project. Organize networking events. More executive interaction. More exposure to entire company structure. More special team projects.

"Good, but could be better"

Current Employee - Information Technology in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Hartford, CT

Pros

Great people and team to be with daily and everyone gives their all. Pad training and scholar program to maximize education.

Cons

Company doesn't want to hire enough people to have a good work/life balance. So on call, work until the job is done. Company fills in with contractors but self imposed 2 year limit prevents them being effective. With the constant turnover of contractors who seem like coworkers everyone is thinking about their next job so some of our best keep leaving.

Advice to Management

Use the contractor 2 year program to find great employees and hire enough people to get the job done so people want to stay.