United Way Reviews | Glassdoor

United Way President and CEO Brian A. Gallagher
Brian A. Gallagher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In a very non-profit fashion, your work follows you home (in 69 reviews)

• Org is growing quickly while dealing with high turnover rate typical of many non-profits (in 22 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Work Place Culture"

I have been working at United Way full-time

Pros

The president of the organization is a fantastic leader. He works hard alongside his employees and never asks them to do something he isn't willing to do. The Board of Directors are phenomenal and are very supportive of the organizations mission, as well as its employees. The internal culture is great- with employee events, incentives, and team building happening annually. Really a great place to work and serve the community.

Cons

With limited staff, the work is hard- and it is nonprofit salary.

"Great environment. Great Mission. Great team. Bad pay."

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at United Way full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UWCA is one of the nation's leading United Way affiliates, raising nearly $40M for approximately 90 of Birmingham, Alabama's best-regarded partner agencies. Professionalism, fundraising acuity, low overhead, and polished messaging make UWCA a great place to begin a career in fundraising.

Cons

Pay is well below market value--at least that was the case when I was employed. I know people who persisted and now make more, but UWCA makes it difficult for a young person to stay on board, especially when those young people have direct access to agencies, donors, and corporate sponsors who are able to pay much more.

Advice to Management

No company, let alone a community service organization, should employ anyone making ten times the salary of the very people responsible for said company's success.

3. "Great Small Non-Profit"

I worked at United Way full-time

Pros

Strong leadership from CEO and BOD. Well-respected org in community

Cons

4. "Professional and Well Funded Non-Profit Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at United Way full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly but professional work environment. A real career builder - highly respected in the community as a high performing organization and internally invests in personal career growth. Excellent work/life balance, benefits and competitive salary. Highly respected organization whose "product" contributes to the community.

Cons

The non-profit culture isn't a fit for everyone. Staff is driven to accomplish the mission but not driven to compete with each other. Expect to be expected to be positive, solution focused and leave the office politics at the door. The pressure to meaningfully contribute is constant, there is no room for coasting by or using office politics for job security. Most United Ways are small organizations, UWW is just the branding provider, each UW has it's own board and own budget and runs completely independently. This can mean limited opportunities for growth where staff size is under 100 or even under 50, simply because there are only so many positions opening up each year and only so much $$ in the salary budget. Promotions and moving up the ladder can take 5-10 years for each step along.

5. "FITS Site Aid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at United Way full-time

Pros

The kids are some of the best I've ever worked with. They are so excited to be there and are really appreciative and friendly. The staff is also a good mix of experience and new blood. Management is also pretty flexible.

Cons

In a very non-profit fashion, your work follows you home. While on the clock, I generally ran errands for upper staff and helped to watch the kids. However, my actual job was much more than this and I often completed the rest of my work at home. If you want a job that doesn't bleed into your time off the clock at all or doesn't restrict your hours, this one may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Be really clear about job responsibilities and roles in order to maximize the work of each employee during paid hours. Most of us fudged our hours since we weren't allowed to work the number that it actually took to get the job done.

6. "Great Non-Profit To work for"

Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at United Way full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Of all the non-profits I've worked for this one has the most professional feel. It's an established non-profit and it shows.

There is a great work-life balance (Flexible hours, some work from home).
    Friendly atmosphere- not a lot of politics, bus driving, and competition. People are generally friendly, and professional.
    Upper management is professional yet approachable.
    Generous salary (for a non-profit)

Cons

Not a lot of cons, I really love working here.

Maybe more work from home. So much of the office work from home on Fridays anyway, and there are so many commuters. It may make sense to just offer Work from home Friday to everyone who has been there for more than 3 months. Or everyone gets one work from home day a week. The office is like a ghost town on Fridays. It would save commuters time and money. It may even save the company on overhead costs (maybe).

Advice to Management

Continue doing everything you're doing to encourage a friendly and professional work environment. It's a great investment in the kind of employees that will want to invest their time here.

United Way Response

Feb 17, 2018 – Chief Financial and Administrative Officer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! As you know, we strive to deliver the best possible service to families and individuals who are struggling to make ends meet in the 8 counties we serve... More

7. "Campaign Manager"

I worked at United Way full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, nice people, great for starting a career

Cons

So much turnover, some accounts require you to work weekends and evenings

8. "Community Representative"

I worked at United Way part-time

Pros

Great experience to grow within the non profit arena.

Cons

Challenging always asking people to give.

"Lackluster"

Current Employee - Data Manager
    Current Employee - Data Manager

I have been working at United Way full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are brilliant, well-meaning professionals that are dedicated to their communities that work here. Great work-life balance. Tons of professional connection opportunities. Great learning and development opportunities.

Cons

Huge disconnect between United Way World Wide values and local United Ways. Organization is white-washed and classist, (oddly enough). Complete disconnect between employees and communities served.

Advice to Management

Increase diversity training. Review implicit bias contributors. Evolve, grow and stop using the excuse "this is how we've always done it" and stop working around personalities that harm company culture/ employee moral.

10. "Do not go there, for your career sake"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at United Way full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

reasonably flexible schedule; open, diverse culture

Cons

- lack credibility: empty promises.
    - donor's money largely wasted on marketing events, videos and PSAs to promote internal executives themselves.
    - senior leadership's non-profit, do good intentions are not real, not genuine.
    - another senior management that just does not understand analytics, and confuses BI visualization with real data analytics and insights.
    - very political environment.
    - very unproductive.
    - they'll make you donate > 1% of your salary if you work there. not voluntary donation, very surprised by this. they don't force you to donate, but pressure and atmosphere is that, if you don't donate, you know and you feel all around you, you won't be working there long.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting donors' money.