Cover image for United Way

United Way

Engaged Employer

United Way

Add a Review

United Way Employee Reviews about "united way"

Updated Sep 9, 2021

3.8
United Way CEO and President Angela F. Williams
Angela F. Williams

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "the people are great and welcoming.(in 150 reviews)
  • "Great Benefits and very rewarding.(in 85 reviews)
  • "Staff is friendly and can network very easily within the non(in 44 reviews)
  • "Great culture and an interesting place to work.(in 34 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers and atmosphere.(in 30 reviews)
Cons
  • "The pay is low but its non(in 95 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership is petty and can be remarkably immature and unprofessional when someone disagrees with them(in 53 reviews)
  • "Very demanding and low salaries.(in 49 reviews)
  • "Poor management and a hapless CEO who is leaving after inflicting deep organizational damage.(in 38 reviews)
  • "However, opportunities for further employment with them were not offered, and my attempts to reach out to my former managers have been received unenthusiastically.(in 14 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Way and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "united way"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0

Pros and Cons

Mar 3, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff is welcoming and kind. You can tell that leaders are incredibly passionate about the work they do in the community.

Cons

When I started at United Way there seemed to be a rift between upper management and lower levels. In the last few months that I worked there it seemed to improve but there was incredibly high turnover while I was there.

2. 5.0

Great organization, great people

Jan 16, 2015 - Loaned Executive in Spokane, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love what United Way stands for and the people that work here believe in the organization's mission. Like any non-profit, it's all hands on deck to make things happen and it takes a great team to do just that.

Cons

As a young professional I experienced a generational gap between me and other older employees. Some times it was hard to convey my innovative ideas to others.

3. Join the United Way team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Work in Progress

Apr 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The United Way is great at staying focused on their work for the community and raising money. They are conveners who bring the community together. One gets great satisfaction working here, because you feel you are making a difference in people's lives.

Cons

Leadership is so focused on their work of the community, they forget about their own employees...one had better be a self-starter and work independently, don't count on being mentored, or having help.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Account Manager

Oct 4, 2022 - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at United Way! Everyone is friendly and they truly care about you

Cons

The pay could be better but that is how it is in nonprofits

6. 3.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Work dynamics At United Way

Feb 15, 2018 - Marketing Volunteer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

united Way of Lake County has good work culture

Cons

frequent change in the management

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good workplace but challenging times

May 23, 2013 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

United Way has a good mission in empowering people to participate in their families and community. The organization has targeted areas of service which gives it more focus than it had traditionally.

Cons

Like in many nonprofits, if you want to earn a big salary you shouldn't be working here. Nonprofits need to keep overhead low so donated funds go to services.

8. 2.0

D

Oct 16, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many colleagues were truly passionate about helping their communities, and were caring and devoted to their work. I met people I am proud to have as lifelong friends.

Cons

I believe the experience comes down to the Senior Management of the local United Way where one is employed. The head of UW where I worked had no idea how to treat, motivate or respect employees. Also, new initiaitves were constantly being started with no regard as to the resources available to make those initiatives successful.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It can be a hell. They are not really United Way.

Jun 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Ciudad de Mexico
    Business Outlook

Pros

professional staff. Because they are a branch of United Way there is a lot of opportunities with other Non Profits or Bussiness.

Cons

Bureocratic, hierarchical and Very slow. A lot of micromanaging.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people but leadership is lacking - Salt Lake office

Oct 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the best people work at United Way which makes the job very enjoyable. A lot of hardworking individuals ready to make social change. They offer competitive benefits and have a great 401(k) match. Flexible schedules as well.

Cons

In my years at the SLC United Way the leadership lacked the whole time. They do not want you to grow professionally. I've had former coworkers hired for one position, and years into that position express interest in moving up or changing positions only to be pushed out by management. The top protects the top, and only the top gets those big promotions. They aren't transparent with the work they are doing and how much money they are actually spending on 'big projects.' Sometimes they need to slow down and figure out how to fix a problem with the tools they have rather than jump into the next multi-million dollar project to fix another problem.

11. 3.0

Nonprofit Experience

May 30, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The atmosphere is very good for entry level professionals looking to develop their skills. The employees at Lake Area United Way are all very friendly and genuinely want to help each other succeed. I wasn't afraid to ask questions about the various responsibilities I had, which made for a comfortable environment to learn.

Cons

If you're looking for a fast paced working environment, then this is not the company for you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews