KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM)

Engaged Employer

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM)

Add a Review

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Reviews

Updated Oct 23, 2021

Found 1,313 of over 1,365 reviews

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 88 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 82 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative(in 54 reviews)

• "Underwriters and AE's are extremely arrogant and think they can do whatever they want(in 53 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

Great Place

Aug 9, 2021 - Internal Auditor/Compliance in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family atmosphere....leadership absolutely cares about you. Opportunities galore to move up the ladder and/or change jobs. The resources are outstanding to improve your skill-sets and leadership qualities.

Cons

Benefits have improved as well as vacation so there is little to complain about.

1 person found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for the kind review! We're so glad you're enjoying your nice long time here at UWM! We have so much appreciation for team members like you who've been with us through periods of tremendous change and growth. It's been an exciting ride, yes? Thank you for your loyalty and being such an integral part of our success. Here's to another 8-10 years!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Sep 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Growth opportunity for hard workers

Cons

Not everyone pulls their weight

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

What it's like

Oct 22, 2021 - Mortgage Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

The environment, The benefits, The perks, the never ending ability to move up within the company. The ability to move positions internally after nine months in any position.

Cons

When I first started with UWM I felt very fortunate to be apart of the company. (I still do, most of the time) I grew up having little to nothing and when I first started at this company I felt like I had finally made it. I felt like I was going to give my kids a different life than the one I had. I worked hard and I was rewarded for that work through my monthly bonuses, but that quickly changed. The new bonus structure is nearly unobtainable. They punish the veterans who are loyal to them by making them work more for less money. I can guarantee you have never worked at a place that micromanages you the way UWM does. The amount of people I know that have quit without a back up plan because their mental health couldn't take it anymore is outrageous. You have to be patient, strong and do well under pressure to work for this company.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Not terrible.

Aug 5, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

UWM filters out the jerks pretty well. The majority of the people there are people I liked. The facilities are pretty sweet. If you're there, might as well take advantage of the gym, salon, doctor's office, etc. The laptops, monitors etc are good, they don't cheap out on equipment. In IT, genuinely good people do get recognized and promoted eventually. There is a defined career advancement path. If you are placed on a good team, the work itself can be incredible. Some teams are doing exciting things and others aren't. It really depends. They're slowly modernizing and getting better tech. Very few people work much over 40 hours. Occasionally there's free ice cream bars and pizza.

Cons

Training is/was pretty rough and a lot of my peers would say the same thing. We gave feedback about our negative training experiences and were told we were "so whiny", exact words. The former head of IT training was a mean guy. One of his subsequent replacements got fired for what was rumored to be inappropriate relationships with his trainees. The pay bumps were meager. They used to have bonuses in application development but they were cancelled w/out explanation. There is career development like I mentioned in the pros section, but it took over a year for them to make it. Team Leads were forced to come into the office at the height of Covid-19 and we were told this was so investors could see people working. All IT came back to the office in July of this year. There is no more work-from-home, even if you're sick. A lot of employees start with12 days of PTO. Lastly, there's a bit of a skills gap and consistent production issues.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good until misery hits

Oct 20, 2021 - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

the people you meet or work with - are friendly and nice. the free fountain drinks, fruit, and coffee. i guess all the perks they brag about to you because yeah, it's great. it looks great on the outside and gets you excited to work here.

Cons

- work and life balance is practically nonexistence. working 10-7 and i basically feel like I have no life because I come in, get my soul sucked out of me from brokers fighting me about guidelines or trying to get around them when "no, these are the rules" and then acting like i know nothing when i have the job aid in front of me, to then stressing about hitting commitment (which they increased because they totally "listened" to the feedback) when the queue is slow, and then i come home just mentally exhausted. - the training just doesn't prepare you for this. in fact, the training is pretty much irrelevant once you hit the floor. it's a different world on the floor, where it's all stress, endless zoom meetings that last about 40 minutes, endless academy and task stuff that you have to complete at a required time. and then once that's done distracting you, you then have to panic and try to reach their commitment. and they wonder why some loan quality is bad. - they tell you loan quality should be main priority, but then keep hounding and scolding you about reaching commitment. - the inconsistencies between what is right and what isn't when reviewing a file. i have asked a few people on their view on how something should be entered and they all gave me different answers. if that isn't concerning, then i don't know what. true, there are job aids to help but sometimes it feels like i'm decoding them because i just don't understand them sometimes. maybe they aren't in more layman's term for me to understand it, but i did come into this with zero mortgage experience. anyway, you think people would be on the same page about guidelines or reviewing files. - zero communication skills. - it really is we're all smiling on the outside but really, screaming on the inside. - this place is great for the first few months, going through the training and then starting off on the floor. but that all comes crashing and burning down on you when reality hits. - this company is too busy day dreaming about the future, they forget the present and what's really happening in front of them. but i know the pros i listed here will be magnified than everything else mentioned by whoever replies to this review.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Diverse, challenging role, company has its pros and cons

Oct 11, 2021 - Change of Circumstance Specialist in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great for the most part, I made a ton of friends, and the dress code was pretty chill. I also learned a lot more than I knew about mortgages, and the training was good. I spoke with external clients every day, which I was nervous about at first, but it definitely boosted my confidence over the phone. I can take this with me just about anywhere I go.

Cons

Enforced culture, as far as leadership pressing you to be involved in various aspects unnecessarily. Teamwork mentality is drilled into you, so if you're more of an introvert or someone who prefers to be left alone for the majority of their work day, this place may not be for you.

Be the first to find this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for sharing your insight. We do place a big premium on our culture and working together as a team, for sure. We're understanding that we have a campus full of introverts, extroverts, and everyone in between. There truly is room for everyone at UWM to BE YOU HERE!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great work setting and amenities, difficult work and expectations

Sep 28, 2021 - Operations Specialist II in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits, on-site amenities and building complex are amazing and the people (at least floor workers) are awesome. Very big emphasis on family and teamwork. Moving up and around (to an extent) is very quick and easy, with lots of opportunity and lots to learn.

Cons

There is a commitment number you have to hit production-wise everyday or you get fired. It is juvenile, stressful, creates unhealthy competition, and is unrealistic at times. The pay is also quite below industry standards for most positions. Middle and upper management are very disconnected from team members and do not take any suggestions or concerns whatsoever. The company is also extremely overstaffed with insane turnover.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Come for a year and go somewhere better

Oct 7, 2021 - Team Lead - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free drinks Learn the business This is a great place to learn the industry on mortgages but after a year. Look to go somewhere else where you will be able to get paid what you are worth.

Cons

No COVID response for close contact Very below average pay for the industry Loss of bonus and raising the commitment on people was done by management to get 15% of the workforce to quit. Because the CEO was on TV last year saying how we are growing and hiring his image can’t be hurt by laying people off. So raising the amount of work needed while cutting salary and bonuses to employees fixes that issue to get people to leave. The company is more worried about Rocket Mortgage than taking care of the employees.

14 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

We think there's a great opportunity here for you to share your feedback with us live time so we can fully hear your thoughts and ideas and we can better provide you with accurate information. We absolutely put our people first and do care for our team members. We're always looking at our processes to ensure they're in alignment with our business and the industry. Let's talk.

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to gain experience, but not to stay

Oct 7, 2021 - Mortgage Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

UWM is great for training and development. They offered multiple UWX courses for incoming underwriters throughout the year teaching us the most effective way to underwrite loans and learn about the mortgage industry. My immediate pod were also amazing people. There are a lot of people there that know what they're doing and will support you in any way that they can.

Cons

Firm 40 was a common saying, but it was extremely unrealistic. I had to stay long hours to get my commitment of 16 done everyday. Meanwhile, brokers unfairly use the CR (Client Request) system to try and jump ahead of turn time and bully you when you don't give in to their requests.

4 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We're sorry to see you're no longer here - Underwriting is a team of so much opportunity for growth and advancement. We always strive to ensure our staffing levels exceed volume demand so all our team members can enjoy a strong work-life balance. We always appreciate when team members can provide more, but our primary focus is achieving that balance. Our teams do a great job educating our brokers on the best way to use our CR system, and the process has been phenomenal in terms of creating more transparent communication and loan-level resolutions. Best of luck to you in your new role!

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good first job--not a place to settle down into a career

Oct 11, 2021 - Senior Mortgage Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are bright and a good worker you will get promoted quickly and get good compensation. You don't need any experience. You can take your skills elsewhere and make more money.

Cons

The company is huge and every person is very micromanaged. There are statistics and reports pulled for every possible metric, so someone is always watching your every move. In order to make your salary competitive with other companies, you have to produce so that you are consistently bonusing.

3 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for sharing your review with us. You're absolutely correct - we love bringing on bright, hard workers and provide great training and opportunities to advance. We wouldn't say we micromanage - but we do prudently keep eyes on many metrics to ensure we're maximizing efficiency, team member experience, and client service. Without metrics, we'd never know how we're doing! Keep working hard and developing relationships!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,313 Reviews