United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

3.1
United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 88 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 82 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative(in 54 reviews)

• "Underwriters and AE's are extremely arrogant and think they can do whatever they want(in 53 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great company

Apr 15, 2021 - Operation Specialist in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

People caring and endless growth

Cons

No cons at this moment

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

UWM is a Farm

May 5, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Starting pay is ok, underwriter pay to start was $16.00 after the 6 week training you had potential to move up to $19.21/hour. Nice Starbucks on site, cafeteria food was good.

Cons

The Underwriter training was stressful and pointless. We had quizzes everyday and if you didn’t pass you had to retake the quiz the next day. The training was on a point scale so if you didn’t have the select amount of points at the end of training they would move you to a job within UWM with lower pay and not a job that you originally applied for. Their were 500 people in my underwriter orientation training. At the end of training around 400 were left. People quit left and right because of how mentally draining the training was. UWM is famous for their micromanaging. You would be yelled at if you had your phone out or if you were talking to your neighbor and if you didn’t clock in exactly at 9am you would be scolded for it. You couldn’t clock in a few min early. Early on, I was very excited to start my career at UWM until I eventually saw how 2 faced management was and how easy UWM hires people. They hire anybody which is why their orientations are 300+ people every 2 weeks. If I were you I would not dare work for UWM. On social media and TV they make it look like a dream company to work for, but until you experience it yourself, you’ll realize that it’s just a farm.

18 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0

Overworked/underpaid

May 5, 2021 - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

-immediate coworkers can be great -Paid training -gym, cafe, basketball court -Easy to rise the ranks

Cons

-Any training received after initial hire is mediocre -“firm 40” is nonexistent and you’ll spend a lot of time working more than 40 hours not including the mandatory rise and grind every other Tuesday 8-7. -Unrealistic production goals and no wiggle room for difficult files -Upper management is extremely out of touch with what it means to underwrite a file -Workload is continuously increased without compensation and no reduction in production quotas -known to sue if you leave to a competitor -401k match is 1.5% -Will take your bonus away if you make errors and their process for rebutting is pretty abysmal as the auditors bonus off the errors and will refuse to revert most cases -Constant communication with brokers that have no idea what they’re doing -grossly unfair distribution of underwrites leading to teams/pods being dubbed as “Dead pods” with much more workload for less pay than a pod with pensioners only. -Favoritism runs wild and will lead to some employees getting preferential treatment(coming from someone who gets the better treatment.) -Pay is below industry average

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A scary cult not worth your time.

Apr 7, 2021 - Operations Specialist in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Anyone making hourly are great people.

Cons

-Starting is $12/ hour for about 50% of the positions there. The going rate in the industry is far more than that. Go get something better. -It's a revolving door. I've seen so many people come in with a smile and leave mentally broken. -it's a cult. Truly. They break you down, then love bomb you, then make you feel guilty for not living up to thier extreme standards. It's never them... it's always you. And you better smile while they tear you down. -It's a factory. You won't learn anything here that will help you move on in the industry. Operations' expectations make it impossible to actually gain any real skills. -Not firm 40. Don't believe it -The tech is garbage. -They treat the brokers like garbage. This new policy might as well make them LOs. - It's mentally taxing. Every month expectations change for employees. Commitments grow higher and higher...yet the "points" that feed that metric get lower and lower. -Forget about bonuses. They always keep raising the threshold. It's impossible to make a living on sweatshop wages without a bonus. -They have been holding the threat of getting sick from Covid over our heads this entire time. -It took team members going to MIOSHA to make them enforce masks. While the CEO's wife was actively laughing at employee's on her social media. - The company says it contributes money to charity. But they take that money from the employees and they don't support queer charities even though it's been requested multiple times. - Management talks down to people. It's hostile. -Everyone is literally terrified or brainwashed. Do yourself a favor and work for another company. Don't get roped in to this.

30 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Our compensation, benefits, and perks for entry-level positions are very generous. Opportunities for training, growth, and advance abound at UWM. With the growth opportunities available here many team members advance quite quickly. You bring up concerns about commitments, COVID, and culture in general. This is concerning, particularly coming from someone who’s been with us for 3-4 years. We absolutely want to hear directly from you – let’s have a conversation. Please reach out to your leader, or any leader, and let’s talk.

5. 3.0

It is what it is

Apr 22, 2021 - Underwriter II in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Meet great people Benefits are good

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, no work slash life balance, being micromanaged

8 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0

Disappointed

May 4, 2021 - Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

PTO within first 30 days Cleaning is routine Nice building

Cons

Will work you until you are burnt out Constant meetings that interrupt your work and slow production Expected to drop everything for one client request and still maintain production

14 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work and grow

Apr 20, 2021 - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at UWM has provided me with so much experience. They really do train you up to be successful in your role. If you use the tools and resources they provide you with you’ll get far. You’re expected to try your best and be a positive team member. If that’s something you can’t commit to then this place is not for you. I haven’t even been here for a year and already moving to SR role. Everyone is supportive and helps you when you’re in need. There are not many nights where I’ve had to stay super late. All you have to do is get a routine that works and you 40 hours will be your regular work week. I’ve never been forced or pressured into staying, or working longer.

Cons

From helping training and auditing files we need to do better at vetting applicants. It’s a waste of time training incompetent people.

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback - in a short period of time you've really gone far! I'm glad our training and support have helped you grow along the way. You're right - a positive attitude and a great work ethic almost always lead to success! We look to our team members to refer more great team members like you to UWM!

8. 2.0

Underwriter

May 5, 2021 - Mortgage Underwriter in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Building, perks and people. (You really don't have time for the perks though)

Cons

Stressed beyond belief!!! So far it feels like I am in boot camp. This job isn't for the weak. The structure is set up so you can't obtain any goals, but starve. Everyone is assigned work, even management and nobody has time to help.

11 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company has Changed my life

Apr 24, 2021 - Operations Team Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Because of United Wholesale I have been able to grow in my career within the Mortgage industry. It has given me security and I work with some of the best people in the world. We are supported by our fellow leaders as well as the leaders above us.

Cons

As of right now I dont have any cons as we have come a long way even within the last 8 months. We have grown and accepted and changes things for the better and keep looking to improve.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mat Ishbia pocketed $500,000 per employee in 2020 according to his 8-K on 3 February 2021

Feb 11, 2021 - Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Misery loves company, and there's plenty of misery for underwriters at UWM

Cons

According to the company's own figures published on 3 February 2021, the company's net income for 2020 was the equivalent of $500,000 per employee. $500,000 per employee in 2020 after estimated tax obligations going straight into Mat Ishbia's (CEO/President/owner) pocket. I doubt the median pay for all employees at UWM is even $80,000 per year, and each one could be paid $500,000 more per year before the owner's compensation would equal $0 per employee. This guy is the personification of gluttony and greed, yet he parades around like he's the MacKenzie Scott of mortgages because he gave $32 million to MSU so as to not feel outdone by Dan Gilbert's donation. All while every employee suffers in silence because this company makes it clear that questioning management will not be tolerated. Sacrifices of both time and mental health are truly unappreciated at this company, and you will require several neuroleptics and mood stabilizers to persevere through the daily gauntlet of demands levied by both the company as well as their unscrupulous and pushy broker clients. But at least they serve us mediocre pizza every other Tuesday when they force us to work mandatory overtime, despite the "Firm 40" hour work week that new/prospective hires are promised.

38 people found this review helpful