UnitedHealth Group IT Systems Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Cons

1. "Nice people and culture"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst/Contractor in South Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst/Contractor in South Windsor, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

good life/work balance, cutting edge technology

Cons

have to work with off -shore staff:

UnitedHealth Group Response

Nov 21, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

I agree with you, one of the best things about working at UnitedHealth Group is that the culture allows for work/life flexibility. I also agree, working on a global team can be challenging at times ... More

"Sr. IT systems analyst"

Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 6
    Employee stock purchase plan
    401k matching
    PTO is 23 days for first 5 years.

Cons

Mismanagement ...do not know how to value full time employees over vendors such as GalaxE...abinitio or someone else.
    Pathetic health plan ...HMO costs over $600 for family of 4.
    Career growth is slow since all major decisions made in Schaumburg, IL

Advice to Management

Read HR policy first then implement on employees.
    Get trained on people management skills

3. "zxzxzxz"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I dont see any cons working for them

Advice to Management

asldknaslkd

"Management is deluded"

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

o They have pretty much every software ever sold. If you want to learn something new, they will have it and are building something in it. There are a lot of opportunities.
    o They have every process you can think of defined and they have an application for it. Often more than one.
    o Management is trying to implement a new culture. Although they have been at it for at least a decade and just recently finished getting through managers and up. So, it really hasn't taken effect yet. And they haven't implemented any measure to track its acceptance.
    o They have a reasonably well thought out software development methodology. Unfortunately, few know how to use it or understand it.
    o With Healthcare changes, UHG is making tons of money. Yet management stresses that this is turbulent times and a challenge.

Cons

o There are a few smart, talented employees, but because of the huge number of employees, there are a vast number of "average at best" employees.
    o Very metric driven. Managers make extremely poor long term decisions in order to make their quarterly numbers.
    o Upper management either doesn't know or chooses not to acknowledge how their directives are being implemented by mid managers. For example, directives to make the numbers led most managers to require employees to work overtime but upper management did not acknowledge that this is what happened.
    o The way to get raises and promotions is to get on the really big projects and spend 70+ hours/week working. If you are not willing to do this, you can forget about raises. Upper management says this is against the new culture they are trying to implement, but it is expected by lower management.
    o Really poor health insurance--mostly just catastrophe insurance. Vision insurance is of no value.
    o Some of the worst web pages I have used--and management thinks our web development is the best. For example, one needs to log in to get at non-sensitive information (like H.R. policies) even when one stays within the firewall.

Advice to Management

Give up your dreams of becoming a consulting company.
    Keep consolidating the hundreds of applications that do nearly the same thing into fewer applications that do more. Concentrate on what adds value and get rid of the stuff that doesn't.

6. "IT Systems Analyst Consultant"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst Consultant in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst Consultant in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co workers and relaxed dress code

Cons

Expected to know ins and outs of the company even as a new hire

"Good work opportunities; but dreadful insurance choices, and good luck getting a raise."

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As such a large corporation, there are a lot of different areas in which to work. I believe that the greatest factor in your experience will be your manager. Some are terrific, and very supportive of your career (even if it means a loss to their own team). Some are, shall we say, not so great to work with.

But loyalty is rewarded, and you may find yourself following your manager as he or she takes on new responsibilities. If you're more focused on the success of the team than you are on making yourself look good, you'll likely be an outstanding employee and very happy with being there.

There are also a lot of truly brilliant people working for this company. As there are often projects that are broad in scope and not necessarily well-defined, there are many opportunities to shine, especially if you're willing to learn new skill sets.

Work-life balance is encouraged; though again, your manager will be the one who most strongly influences your ability to be successful in this. In many positions, the company offers telecommuting options, which can be very positive as long as you have the personality for it (i.e., can work without supervision and won't be distracted by things at home). As the MN weather can be challenging in Winter, even the non-telecommuting jobs will generally allow employees to work from home when needed.

The paid time off policy is quite generous in comparison with other places where I have worked; depending on your position and length of time with the company, you can get up to 26 days off per year. This includes sick time; but as indicated above, if your job allows you to telecommute, sick time isn't nearly as much of an issue as it would be at most other companies.

Cons

First: Salary. Have an interview with a manager? Does that manager discuss a salary with you? Do you agree on a reasonable amount? Well, guess what - it doesn't mean a thing. The HR department (known as "Human Capital") has a de facto stranglehold on the amount of your initial salary. Then, as you progress with the company, there are also rules limiting the amount of increases which you can receive at annual reviews (it's based on a percentage of salary). If you change from one position to another at the same grade level, the likelihood is that you will have no increase in pay, even if the new position has a much higher responsibility level. In other words, the people who make the final decision about your pay don't know you - they only know what's on paper. And neither you, nor your manager, nor their manager will ever be able to change anything about that. And it's a *great* shame, because I believe that the compensation overall is fair against the marketplace; but their complete inflexibility means that you will likely be dissatisfied with the experience no matter what you are paid.

Second: Insurance. I have *never* worked for a company with an insurance division (UHC) that offers such poor medical insurance choices to employees. As I speak to friends who work for other companies in the same geographic area, they are shocked to discover the terrible plan design of our health insurance. Not only that, but they only offer three plans; and all three plans are EXACTLY the same, with the exception of the deductible amount and the cost of insurance. I have the best plan available, and I have a $1700 annual deductible for in-network... and *everything* goes toward that deductible, including prescriptions. You can get an HSA, but make sure you have a boatload of cash if you need treatment early in the calendar year. Every year, UHG takes a survey of what is good and bad; and every year, employees complain about the insurance; and every year, corporate says that we should save the amount we aren't paying in insurance premiums so that we can pay our medical bills. They're missing the point; employees are looking for options. We're not idiots, we know that high insurance plans have lower premiums than traditional insurance. We just want to have at least SOME of the same choices that other employers offer.

For me, these two factors (which could be easily addressed) weigh so heavily against the positives that I do not recommend that people seek employment with the company. Why? Because these are over the direct control of the upper-upper management. All of your positive experiences will be at the local level; but where the corporation has the opportunity to prove itself as caring about its employees, it fails. That said, I work here, and I will continue to do so; but I do my very best to disregard our annual survey. Repeating the same requests over and over again with no results leads to nothing but frustration. If you're going to ask your employees what can be improved, you must maintain an open mind and allow for the possibilities that their concerns are valid. If not, don't bother sending out the surveys.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that there be clearer communication between management and Human Capital. It doesn't make any sense that a department which has a specified hiring budget should not be permitted to spend it as it chooses; yet HC appears to rule by executive fiat. It is discouraging to employees to feel limited by an impersonal organization that they will never see; and it is undoubtedly frustrating for managers who want to reward their employees but are unable to do so.

The insurance situation MUST be addressed. The removal of the HRA option in the past year was the icing on the cake. I cannot imagine why a company with its own insurance division cannot provide more three identical medical insurance choices. The only people who work at UHG that I have met who are happy with their insurance are those who are covered under their spouses. Employees of UHG should be in the vanguard of new insurance plans, not eating the scraps that fall from UHC's table.

"You did a great job! Here"

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are an average or low performer you are safe and the whole culture of this company is built around keeping you happily employed, making ends meet, doing just enough to skate by

Cons

Expect a 2% pay raise when you consistently rank as an exceeds expectations. This should be enough for most top performers to look elsewhere. If you are a top performer, this company will not value you. You will be hired in at a low rate and it will stick with you. RUN and run quickly.

"UHG"

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is very good for the people who want to settle in life and it give Work from Home facility which one can avail easily and more over number of leaves in a year are also sufficient.

Cons

Till now not faced any major issues.

Advice to Management

No Advice to anyone.

10. "Great company with excellent work culture. Work life balance is awesome."

Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Senior IT Systems Analyst in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

UHG is the best in terms of rewards and compensations.

Cons

Poor in infrastructure in few locations. HR and facility teams are just OK.

11. "Contractors should be aware"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst/IT Systems Analyst in Hyderabad (India)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

-- Good in terms of learnings,
    ---facilities,
    ---Pay,

Cons

--NO JOB SECURITY FOR CONTRACTORS (Should not join as contractor)