UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Lisle, IL | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • Especially if you want to work from home (in 665 reviews)

• If you have a good boss, work-life balance is great (in 371 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 215 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 237 reviews)

"RN Case Manager"

Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL

Pros

Flexibility, great team, salary is excellent

Cons

Consider better training and orientation for telecommuting employees

"Horrible management"

Current Employee - Health Coach in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Health Coach in Lisle, IL

Pros

Nothing good about this company

Cons

Everything about management - there is no regard for employee satisfaction

Advice to Management

Step up your game and be a available to your team

"RN Care Manager"

Former Employee - RN Care Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - RN Care Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

PTO, telecommute (note-can also be listed as CONS because while you have decent PTO, you have little to no coverage while you are off...meaning you come back to double the work. Telecommute-also really a CON because this simply gives them a reason to expect you to work 12-14hr days.

Cons

No work/life balance, horrible insurance, unmanageable workloads, no raises or bonuses.

Advice to Management

Come down from the ivory tower and DO the work of the folks you manage. Just for a day. See their barriers and devise strategies rather than judging issues you can not understand.

5. "Work from home"

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home every day

Cons

Training Aids could be better

"Misleading but hanging in there."

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love what I do.
    I believe in what I do for members, customers, company.

Cons

Supervisors and Management : Rigid, inflexible and have no compassion - unless you are a friend.
    No real open door policy. Do not dare approach supervisors or management with issues in the "open door" policy; you will pay.
    Separate files on employees that are not in your HR file. One incident or supervisor note will follow you all the way through your position. Very sad.
    Supervisors and Management believe they are above reproach.
    Supervisors and Management rule by fear.
    HR is a joke - will not back the employee even if employee is correct-no recourse.
    Supervisors and Management do not know the job tasks of hourly employees but make decisions based on what they think will work or their perception of a task.
    Write ups are very common and stay in your file entire career there.
    Supervisors and Management hire family, best friends, friends of friends-no advancement.
    Positions are filled before the job is posted just because it is policy to post an open position (positions are given to "friends".
    Company touts the Code of Conduct and all its completeness but will use it against you when can.
    Constant flow of new employees to cover those who left; very sad.
    Your best friend, friend of a friend, relative should not be your boss.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the favoritism (no more hiring friends, friends of friends, family. This should be a question on every position. You should not be able to report to a friend, family member, friends child, etc.

Supervisors and Management should be made to take sensitivity training and apply that or they are no longer fit to oversee employees. Walk the walk.

There should be a reviews of supervisors and management done on semi annual basis, anonymous (no employee ID or log in, nothing to identify the employee).

The annual review of company should be broken down into 5-year increments (this will allow company to see how the more senior employees are feeling). As well as the question of how you know your supervisor / manager (did you know your supervisor / manager before being hired in your current position)?

"15 minutes of fame with no future in Kidney Resource Services"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Case Manager in Lisle, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunities, decent pay, great tuition reimbursement, lots of training and CEU offerings

Cons

No retention plan for employees who obtain higher credentials. Poor communication between lower to mid management and staff.
    If you can figure out how to become a member of the "Good ole Nurse Club" GREAT! Other wise, I do not recommend a nursing position within Optum's Kidney Resource Services until you have completed your education and/or don't plan on advancing.

Advice to Management

Don't wait until it's time to do an annual review before you drop the bomb on your employees about the new metrics that have been in place for the last 6 months.
    Don't promise employees a position/promotion that you don't plan to follow through on.
    Don't tell your staff "We encourage you to use your tuition reimbursement and to further your education because we have a place for you here." Especially when you don't mean it.
    Offer better coverage and lower the cost of the health insurance benefits for your employees...because you are the insurance company, you made a huge profit last year, and you can.

"Flexible, but no interest in employment development."

Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Enrollment in Lisle, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am a telecommuter that has been the only benefit in my position. They offer a wealth of employee centered programs.

Cons

I have been in the same position for over 6 years, with no employee development opportunities or employee advancement. I have been very ambitious and express my desires to all my managers which has a high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, experience and dedication should carry employee who may lack the education a long way within the company. Allow employee to shadow and explore other facets of the company.

"Happy, content and enjoying my work"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Lisle, IL

Pros

I enjoy environment, respect and flexibility

Cons

Too much orientation to statistics, too fast moving

Advice to Management

Understand humans working with humans

Showing 8 of 5,680 reviews