UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 216 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 238 reviews)

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Edina, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent people, high standards, respect.

Cons

Salaries could be higher for job requirements.

Advice to Management

None.

Mar 24, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for the review and your time spent at UnitedHealth Group. We agree that surrouding yourself with a respectful team and high performers makes for a great work environement. Best, Ashley ... More

3. "My 8 year experience at UnitedHealth Group was a fulfilling career, great people and positive atmosphere."

Former Employee - Government Program Manager in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Government Program Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Besides collegial atmosphere, excellent salary, benefits, and educational work environment. Client base provided an excellent opportunity to expand industry knowledge.

Cons

If allowed, visionary leaders can take a company to great heights with excellent return on investment. During my tenure, that was somewhat held back by too much analysis or risk mitigation. It wasn't always and most certainly is not now.

Advice to Management

Changes in the healthcare industry have likely accelerated the speed and amount of change needed to stay competitive, deliver excellent services and products while maintaining strong revenue growth. Stay fresh, innovative and hire multi-generational leaders to stay wise and current.

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective of our organization. I'm glad your time at UnitedHealth Group was fulfilling. I'm sorry you felt the visionary leaders were held back. We're always searching for ... More

5. "Toxic but good pay"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is exceptional, 401K and ESPP are also fantastic, Good work/life balance with a compressed schedule option, charitable and social activities.

Cons

Management is toxic and horrendous and lack basic communication skills, their feedback is purely anecdotal rather than fact-based, they are arrogant and ineffective, medical benefits are poor,

Advice to Management

I challenge management to focus on the success of their direct reports rather than just their your own interests. Make it a goal to focus on strengths of staff, not just their shortcomings. Think about all the money wasted on the high turnover and how that reflects on you instead of pointing the finger. Next time you are in your management meeting discuss how you have made your staff successful. Set employees up for success not failure.

6. "Technology Developement Program"

Current Employee - Technology Development Program in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technology Development Program in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay
    Able to choose your rotations

Cons

Lack of management guidance/communication has been expressed from some TDPers

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying a few of the great aspects of working for UnitedHealth Group. I would suggest reaching out to your manager about the lack of ... More

7. "Benefit Advocate"

Former Employee - Benefit Advocate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Benefit Advocate in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime Pay makes up for the lack of a decent pay otherwise.

Cons

You hardly get to interact with any of your coworkers. Management seriously lacks in taking up issues that you face day to day, they just go strickly by the book. Almost 80% people quit within a year or so. Can never see it as a career. The amount of work is not at all comparable to the pay unless you work overtime but that is not easy to do.

Advice to Management

Its good to be customer oriented but its equally important to be employee oriented too.

8. "Sr. Project Manager"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent and Flexible Work Environment.

Cons

Too frequent Changes in Organization.

Advice to Management

Keep the processes simple. Everyone new director likes to get rid of the old team and hire a new one. Not a good thing.

9. "UnitedHealth Group"

Former Employee - Operating Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Operating Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good Pay, Benefits Great Learning Experience

Cons

High management turnover

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We only hire the best person for each position and as we grow we are continuing to discover ways to raise the bar at hiring the perfect fit. We wish you the best ... More

10. "One month employee"

Current Employee - IT Help Desk Analyst in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - IT Help Desk Analyst in Plymouth, MN

Pros

Pay is pretty good, management is not bad, environment is pretty nice for being a cube farm

Cons

Phone room, and as an IT guy there's some stuff I probably could do but is still reserved for upper level IT.

Advice to Management

Start looking at what accesses and processes could be brought to first level - this will help save you money!

Mar 2, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback, I hope that you provide an update when you have been here longer, too. Sarah Manley, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

11. "apps dev1"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

cool company not having scope for new technologies

Cons

there is a huge parking problem in hyd 1

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I suggest you reach out to HRDirect so that can properly address your concerns. You can reach them at 1-800-561-0861 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM. Sincerely ... More

Showing 633 of 5,811 reviews