UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

2. "Great work"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the shark tank program.

Cons

Easy to feel lost sometimes

3. "Great Company !"

Former Employee - Csae Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Csae Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at home FT!!

Cons

Being a salaried employee but working an 80hour week :(

Nov 1, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review! I love that UHG offers work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm happy to hear you enjoy working at the company. Megan Mueller... More

4. "Optum Review"

Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Optum really live and believe in the companies values and mission.

Cons

Too many leaders and not enough workers on some teams make meeting deadlines a challenge.

Advice to Management

Cultivate longevity and seniority for positions.

5. "Good people, but bureaucracy gets in the way"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, including vision and dental. Great people to work with in my department. Company does not expect you to work long hours or excess overtime. I received several bonuses and 'spot' awards in my career. Employee assistance program is robust.

Cons

Due to size of the company, it's sometimes or often unclear who does what and which department is responsible for which tasks. There is a noticeable 'silo effect' due to the company growing via acquisition - e.g., there was a significantly worse culture at the NH location compared to the MN location. Company increasingly cracking down on spending including travel and training. However, you can still get approved for a lot of e-learning courses and tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Just because a dept does not make a lot of money for the company, doesn't mean they should be given short shrift when it comes to budget. Employees in my area were not retained, even though they were highly skilled, because they often would leave for Optum or an external company which was offering more competitive pay.

Oct 30, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughtful feedback!
    Kristina Kelly - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

6. "Technology Development Program"

Former Intern - Technology Development Program in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Intern - Technology Development Program in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The work my team was given was challenging and sufficient for the eleven-week program. My supervisor and the employees in the Data Analysis division were incredibly helpful and supportive throughout the process.

Cons

The 'Shark Tank' program was not very helpful: our sharks did not give us sufficient feedback or added perspective that we did not already understand.

7. "Solid Fortune Six outlook"

Current Employee - Mid OPS in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Mid OPS in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO is wonderful, paid holidays and stock sharing are great benefits. Management is helpful,available without micromanaging. Excellent operations team.

Cons

No major downfalls to employment with this corpiratcorporation ion.

Advice to Management

Keep communications transparent and client relations robust.

Oct 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience! I share the same sentiment about the company outlook and manager interactions. I'm so glad you mentioned communication - that is such an important aspect in a... More

"Decent Company"

Former Employee - Case Management in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Case Management in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-talented employees
    -colleagues collaborate well
    -opportunity to make a difference

Cons

-high productivity emphasis, can border on impacting quality
    -understaffing
    -lower pay than the market rate

9. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Company recently went through an reorganization and reduction in employees

Oct 30, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. You're right, with the growth of our company, there is some shifting and reorganizing that presents itself in some areas to accommodate more growth in others... More

"Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great facility and campus. Generally very smart people and good work environment. Good benefits and work / life balance.

Cons

Optum has grown very quickly and in many cases the processes and infrastructure have not kept pace. This can make doing your job very difficult as the information or data needed just isn't there. There is also a bias against promotions and advancement, with most senior hires made externally. It is also a very BIG organization, can be very bureaucratic, and is in a constant state of change.

Advice to Management

Break down internal barriers and improve efforts to drive overall UNH value. Recognize people and improve internal advancement efforts.

Oct 12, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. Each employee is available for advancement and review yearly. On top of that, you also have the option to advance or move around within the company or grow as an... More

Showing 697 of 6,594 reviews