UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Work @ UHG"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Matured Agile Product Engineering Organization

Cons

Growth at a Leadership level is biased to relationship with Sr.Leadership

3. "salesforce admin/developer"

Current Contractor - Salesforce Administrator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Salesforce Administrator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

everything is good at united health group
    my contract is about to finish

Cons

i never find any downside everything was cool

5. "IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for your career.

Cons

Compensation seems to lag the industry.

"Lack of Career Growth...Surrounded by Dead weights"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good work life balance
    -Generous PTO (23 days/year), 4.5% 401k match (100% match for first 3%, then 50% match up to another 3%)
    -Easy work
    -Nice coworkers
    -Cool building
    -New technology in some area of the company
    -Amazing job security because there are many low performers
    -Good stepping stone company

Cons

-Below average pay...you may be hired at a fair/competitive rate, but the yearly raises are not very competitive for people with technical background. Below the industry standard raise of 3%. People will get a max of 2% raise for an outperforming review. Hence, most of the employees here do the bare minimal as an average review will get you 1.2-1.8% raise. After one year, most newcomers will realized it is not worth working hard for the .0X% difference.

-There are many dead weights on my team. At least 80% of my team (20+ developers) is floating around doing less than average amount of points per sprint. Some developers can slide by fixing a defect for a single null pointer exception over the duration of 1-2 weeks...others would call in WFH, but with their status show up as 'away' or 'offline' if anyone bothers to look on Jabber (the internal messaging app we use here)

-Management will continue to blindly hire more developers because the existing ones won't do the work. I have difficulty understanding why low performers are allowed to stay and even promoted in some cases over valuable teammates.

-There are a lot of favoritism in this organization. Your performance matters very little in the yearly review. You will get a higher mark if you know the manager and hanging out with them during happy hours.

-We are moving toward a full agile environment, so WFH is discouraged. At the same time, there are not enough desks for all developers who comes in to office

-Most managers do not care about your career growth

-The culture training are mocked by most attendees as they know it's more symbolic than substance. Our culture values cannot thrive due to the limitations at the system/organization level

-The yearly performance review grades the team on a normal curve. So, even if everyone performed really well, there will always be losers and winners. Contrary to what they taught us in culture trainings. Good talents do not stay more than 2 years here...unless they are also favored by management

Advice to Management

Take some time to help your employees grow in this organization. Revamp the yearly review process.

Apr 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your candor and I am sorry that this is your feeling about our organization. I encourage you to have more discussions with your managers about your work and prioritization to ensure ... More

7. "Happy to work"

Current Contractor - Senior Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Senior Scrum Master in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very pleasant environment. Great work culture.

Cons

I have no issues so far

8. "Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Finance Management in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Management in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

UHG is one of the most competitive employers in the Twin Cities when it comes to compensation, PTO, work from home capabilities. As important as all of that, it is a company that actively encourages periodic movement within the company and that goes from the executive levels all the way down to staff in their first and second professional jobs.

Cons

As a result of the ongoing implementations of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the organization has been forced to do more with less in support of keeping the administrative costs down. The strong find a way to work more effectively and more efficiently. And those that don't want to work in that sort of environment somehow find their way on to alternative employment scenarios. In the end, the Company needs to add value to shareholders and maintain its position as the trailblazer in the industry and they continually march to the beat of that drum, successfully.

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I agree that UnitedHealth Group offers great benefits and room to grow your career. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this during your time here. We wish you the best ... More

"UHG is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous PTO granted upon hire, flexible work schedule, WFH options, lots of opportunity to move around the company, professional development is available for those who seek it, generous bonuses for those employees who work hard, nice 401K match.

Cons

The company is still very siloed and certain groups aren't willing to work with other groups, the health insurance is average at best and very expensive, in my particular team it was hard to move up pay grade levels, you had to be one of the favored in order to advance, sometimes you felt swallowed up by the big corporate company that UHG is.

Advice to Management

Please follow through, if you choose to develop someone as a leader then give them opportunities to lead, don't just take it away with no explanation. Be proactive about developing your employees and don't just leave it to them to seek it out.

Apr 6, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a culture we are working towards breaking down silos and finding common ground with shared goals. While there are improvements in some areas, there is still ... More

10. "Senior provider data specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Provider Data Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Provider Data Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work from home. The people I work with are very positive and supportive. The work I do is intellectually stimulating, but sometimes repetitive. Huge growth opportunities in the department and the company. Did I mention I work from home!?!

Cons

All communication is electronic. Must be able to self motivate and monitor, as you work from home. Lots of rah-rah lingo but you have to be a go getter to get the support. The typical corporate shenanigans. I.e. Get ready to excel at some seemingly meaningless crap to get higher ups to see your name.

Advice to Management

Get a clear description and outline of how people can move up in your department or lose them to other teams and or other companies.

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I agree, it's a great benefit to work from home and one of my favorite parts in working for UnitedHealth Group. I'm sorry you don't feel there is a clear path to move up ... More

11. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company lots of work

Cons

They are so big, several groups are same thing different ways

Showing 650 of 5,932 reviews