UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

3.3
Dave Wichmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

3. "An amazing place to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful work environment, amazing people, lots of room to grow, focus on individual development, great culture.

Cons

Can be difficult at times to navigate as the organization is so huge! But if you're good at it, you are richly rewarded.

4. "Local Healthcare Insurance Business"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, nice offices, variety of work and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Regular layoff's , corporate offices are in one location rather than multiple sites around the cities .

Advice to Management

Work with employee to find new position prior to paying for severance and possible rehire

"company has gone great to bad over the years."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

there is a lot of options for growth if you can take the constant strain of negativity.

Cons

It went from a great employer to only caring how much stock will be worth every quarter...
    I worked in a dept. where we fixed problems caused by overseas workers and then had 40% of the jobs cut and filled by "global" employees. Nice way to end 16 years

Advice to Management

not much to say since if they don't agree with corp. then they are fired like everyone else.

6. "Great work"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the shark tank program.

Cons

Easy to feel lost sometimes

7. "Great Company !"

Former Employee - Csae Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Csae Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at home FT!!

Cons

Being a salaried employee but working an 80hour week :(

Nov 1, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review! I love that UHG offers work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm happy to hear you enjoy working at the company. Megan Mueller... More

8. "Optum Review"

Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Optum really live and believe in the companies values and mission.

Cons

Too many leaders and not enough workers on some teams make meeting deadlines a challenge.

Advice to Management

Cultivate longevity and seniority for positions.

"As expected"

Former Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one really bothers you. Guess that can be a pro depending on your perspective.

Cons

There are many cons that circulate around the industry regarding this company & their associated organizations; and they're all true. It's very much a sink or swim environment & no one in the entire organization seems to have any answers or assists you, heck no one barely even talks to you. It's a very cold & anti-social environment. And then just as you feel you might finally be finding your own way; they lay you off. This organization is widely known for their extensive lay offs.

Advice to Management

Be a manger. It doesn't matter what position a person is starting at (entry level or VP) everyone needs a little guidance to get started, especially if they're brand new to the organization.

Dec 7, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I'm sorry you felt there was little guidance when you started with UnitedHealth Group. In my time here I've experienced the amazing opportunities available to... More

10. "Good people, but bureaucracy gets in the way"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, including vision and dental. Great people to work with in my department. Company does not expect you to work long hours or excess overtime. I received several bonuses and 'spot' awards in my career. Employee assistance program is robust.

Cons

Due to size of the company, it's sometimes or often unclear who does what and which department is responsible for which tasks. There is a noticeable 'silo effect' due to the company growing via acquisition - e.g., there was a significantly worse culture at the NH location compared to the MN location. Company increasingly cracking down on spending including travel and training. However, you can still get approved for a lot of e-learning courses and tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Just because a dept does not make a lot of money for the company, doesn't mean they should be given short shrift when it comes to budget. Employees in my area were not retained, even though they were highly skilled, because they often would leave for Optum or an external company which was offering more competitive pay.

Oct 30, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughtful feedback!
    Kristina Kelly - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group