UnitedHealth Group Nurse Reviewer Reviews | Glassdoor

UnitedHealth Group Nurse Reviewer Reviews

Updated May 23, 2019

2.2
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
0 Rating

Reviews by divisions

"Tremendous opportunities for learning"

Current Employee - Inpatient Utilization Review Nurse Manager in Lehigh Acres, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Telecommute, salary, peers, rate at which PTO is earned. Some managers are far superior to others. No commute in traffic. No hourly shifts. Rarely work short staffed.

Cons

Constant change with less than adequate teaching of changing processes and less than adequate time to learn new processes. Constant management changes. The health insurance is a disappointment to all lower level employees with high deductibles. Cannot access your insurance unless hit with catastrophic illness. You cannot buy your earned vacation days nor can you get get reimbursed upon resignation fir the PTO you earned. Also cannot carry over more than 40 hours per year.

Advice to Management

My advice to managers would to NEVRR FORGET that lifting those weaker than ourselves has proven to generate higher production. Investing in longer training periods is an investment of higher earnings in the future.

UnitedHealth Group2017-07-04

"Unrealistic expectations"

Current Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Numerous opportunities to work at home and internal job transfers are available.

Cons

Even though you work at home, there is software that tracks your every move and you are timed in a heavy production like atmosphere. As a professional, this often feels like an assembly line to get the UM reviews done as fast as possible. Case load is over 60 and expected to do 12 reviews a day, even though upon hire it was 10 reviews and caseload of 40. Company seems to be trying to save money by not replacing staff in some depts. Lots of stress in a performance, unrealistic metric driven environment. Pay is stagnant once you are hired!

Advice to Management

Listen to the nurses who are actually doing the work about what is realistic. Do no rely too heavily on the number crunchers in statistics or informatics dept who are telling us how many cases we should review a day.

UnitedHealth Group2019-05-23

"Telecommute employees treated like "robots""

Current Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Tampa, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, tuition reimbursement, 401K, telecommute option

Cons

Big brother always watching every move on the computer. Too much emphasis on how many times mouse is clicked or keys are pressed rather than on quality and quantity of work.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like humans rather than robots.

UnitedHealth Group2017-05-25

"Utilization Review Nurse telecommute"

Former Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Austin, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, no nights or weekends, lots of telecommute positions.

Cons

Productivity and metrics are very closely measured, even down to each key stroke. I find the workload to be more demanding in a telecommute role than an office role.

Advice to Management

n/a

UnitedHealth Group2015-11-01

"Inpatient Utilization Review Nurse"

Inpatient Utilization Review Nurse Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group for more than 3 years

Pros

The team I work with has many years of experience when pooled which enables us to function above standard. There is a culture of exceeding expectations.

Cons

Upper management is not tuned into the demands that are placed on the staff to get the job done and ensure compliance. Work flows are often implemented without the direct input of those that will be using the processes.

UnitedHealth Group2015-10-14

"Preservice review nurse LPN salary"

Current Employee - Preservice Review Nurse Licensed Practical Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good pay in my opinion. You get rewarded for good job!

Cons

Not sure if promotion is by merit.

UnitedHealth Group2015-09-04

"Decent benefits, low pay"

Current Employee - Utilization Review Nurse in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401k program is great, company matches your contributions. Decent amount of paid time off. All major holidays off.

Cons

Very low salary, multiple excuses for reasons despite the company being profitable millions of dollars. The company is so large that you feel like you are just a number, not really a personal touch, although that would be difficult with so many employees. All in all, not a bad company to work for.

Advice to Management

Communication is key with such a large company.

UnitedHealth Group2012-09-11