UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Overland Park, KS | Glassdoor

2.7
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 766 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 435 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company giveaways to boost environment

Cons

No advancement and not pay as promised after training

UnitedHealth Group Response

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective of our organization. Advancement and promotion is considered yearly for our employees and is based off of peer reviews. We wish you the best. Sincerely, Amber Smith... More

"Fulfillment Tech"

Former Employee - Fullfilment Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Fullfilment Technician in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k matching, HSA, good people except for management

Cons

Unorganized management leads to unnecessary overtime requirements. Because of Kansas overtime laws UHG takes advantage and makes you work extra hours without overtime pay anytime there is a holiday. Favortism runs rampant and your tenure earns you nothing in regards to advancement or spot rewards. It is truly a terrible place to work and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Take care of your good employees.

"Will never go back"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

my fellow dept coworkers were my only pro to that company

Cons

They dont appreciate employees, they reward people who dont work versus people who work hard, micromanage everything you do, very low pay for the work load you have to do, they dont take issues seriously if an employee has a problem with someone (i.e. sexual harassment, management retaliation)

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging every second of the day, need to have an "open door policy" for employees to vent if needed & not feel that they will be retaliated against from management

UnitedHealth Group Response

May 5, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective of our organization. I'm sorry you felt you weren't appreciated during your time at UnitedHealth Group. We take seriously any issues our employees bring to our... More

"Lead Cumstomer Service Rep."

Current Employee - Lead Cumstomer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Lead Cumstomer Service Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, match up to 6% on 401K plans and fully vested after 1 year, you get to really help people and coworkers are the best.. A lot of people work from their home (after 3 years I have never been approved to though)

Cons

Not family friendly. Mandatory overtime in Jan-March every year. You have to meet ridiculous metric to bonus and the more work you do to help the patients the less chance you will get a bonus at all or a good ranking for the shift bids that happen every 3-6 months. So your schedule is always changing unless you cut your calls short or refuse to help people.

Advice to Management

Understand that people have families and be a little more flexible with the schedules. you have all these people signed up for overtime so they cancel their day off to come into work just to be sent home an hour later because we are not even busy at all. Work force need to go back to school and learn their job

"Overall Successful & Recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The benefits start on your first day, no waiting, which is a major benefit. The insurance was being switched to a tiered plan with HSA when I left. Projects were always team based and typically had lots of great input when brainstorm sessions were held.

Cons

When new ideas came to the table the newest employees' ideas were held with little regard. The hours are terrible, however now you can pay your babysitter appropriately when you work an 18 hour day. The department management teams were lacking in cohesive skills. One would know the answer to a question but not want to share. During conference calls the teams were left with bare bones for troubleshooting.

Advice to Management

Consider dropping the 'All Or Nothing' team atmosphere, encourage less emphasis on compliance failure and please use Skype- so many of your employees are not fully grasping management concepts.

"Need a paycheck? Want to be unsure of your job performance and future in the company daily? This job is for you."

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

OT is nice, however, being told when you will work it isn't. Free covered parking in bad weather is very nice. You actually have a mandatory lunch break in a nice dining area (bring your own lunch as the cafe prices are high and food mediocre). Free coffee, tea, hot chocolate and hot water. Bathrooms are usually clean, facility has AC and heating.

Cons

Micromanagement, unrealistic metrics and goals by which you will you will be evaluated. Pharmacists being supervised and monitored by technician supervisors, not the other way around. Flagrant favoritism by management. You are not a valued professional, you're a number and "if you don't like it there are two colleges of pharmacy within 60 miles, you're replaceable (per a sup to a group of pharmacists, I was there)". Insurance is 3rd tier. I only stay here for PTO and I'll retire in 5yrs. Avoid this pharmacist job unless your family's starving.

Advice to Management

You won't listen anyway. Put value and action in pharmacist satisfaction surveys and start correcting the disconnect that currently exists. Stop lumping us in with CSA's, technicians and other non-professionals. We spent 6 years in college because we choose to, pharmacy isn't a transient job to us. We truly care about the patients we serve, but your emphasis of pure production numbers doesn't allow us that leeway if we want to remain employeed.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

*Tuition Reimbursement ($5,250 Annually)
    *Competitive Compensation
    *Increased PTO with tenure
    *Innovative

Cons

*High Deductible Medical Insurance Plans
    *Difficult to attain growth opportunities internally

Advice to Management

Create opportunities to advance internally; No preference given to current employees.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Benefits start ASAP also PTO weekly

Cons

Does not like to reward their employees. Or pay them well

"Professional Work Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, Helpful, Loving, Compassionate, Trustworthy Coworkers. Best Training Staff By Far, They Will Lead You To Success With Their Techniques!

Cons

Scheduling Is Based Off Of Your Metrics, Unfortunately If You Have Small Children And Need A Morning Shift From Monday Through Friday It Will Most Likely NOT Happen.

Advice to Management

Unexpected Things In Life Always Happen On A Daily Basis, I Would Suggest A Better Understand Of Your Day To Day People That Work Under You.

"Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cause the pharmacist care about the customers and the pharmacy techs come together as a team. What a great place to work.

Cons

Not enough notice in schedule changes

Advice to Management

Better pay, and communication and putting there self's out there being transparent. To know the employees on a personal level individually.

Showing 63 of 6,409 reviews