UnitedHealth Group Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Project Manager

2.8
Dave Wichmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 776 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 445 reviews)

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

2. "Very Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No age discrimination; Ample opportunity to move to other departments.

Cons

Rather expensive, high deductible health insurance

Advice to Management

You are a major health insurance company. Your top benefit to employees should be excellent, inexpensive, low deductible healthcare.

3. "Okay Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wild West of healthcare insurance. Lower level and middle management has a lot of decision power, which has its pros and cons. Pros: Fast Moving, takes on lot of ambitious projects which leads to failures at times.

Cons

Cons: Job is stressful. Loose processes and organizational ambiguity makes it very stressful on the employees. Pay is average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on NPS. It is refreshing that after years of financial engineering to generate results, focus has now moved to improve quality of product and services.

"Project Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very diverse and great compensation

Cons

Very hard to get any questions answered by leadership. No straight guidance.

5. "No major cons"

Former Employee - Claims Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Claims Project Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

vacation time, flex time,

Cons

No real cons, meet the metrics and the world is yours

Advice to Management

My manager was pretty laid back as long as metrics were met

Jul 3, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. As an organization where metrics are so important, your feedback is valued. Sarah M. Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"IT PM"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High PTO, flexible working arrangements, relatively reasonable expectations

Cons

Insanely high turnover, layoffs monthly nearly the 4 years that I worked there, employee morale is in the toilet, hard to get through meetings without people talking about looking for new jobs. Overall terribly unhealthy work environment.

Advice to Management

Retain quality employees, stop doing chain of command reorgs so you can simply lay off a percentage of teams. Cutting percentages of some teams might make business sense, but on your highest priority initiatives you are losing serious momentum. That and you will never retain people with the experience in modern tech stacks that you want, with looming layoffs. Stop talking such a big game on culture and values, try actually showing them!

Jul 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you experienced an unhealthy work environment within your team at UnitedHealth Group. My coworkers continue to encourage me and my work. If an employee... More

"UHG Optum Technology"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 500 company with deep pockets.

Cons

Culture of micromanagement and ultra extended work hours expected.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your micro-managers who expect 10 hours / day and weekends.

"Frustrating"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some managers allow WFH (not all however)

Cons

IT group is so convoluted it's difficult to get anything accomplished, We spend 9-10 hours a day jumping from one priority to the next, we are in constant re-active mode, no time for pro-active steps. Recent org changes has put even more workload on most PM's. Very little time for learning curve.

Because we're in constant high-priority mode, it is very difficult to take any time off. I continue to lose PTO days each year.

Advice to Management

Don't restrict position backfills to only interns and offshore resources.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear your frustrations around time off and the culture you're working in. I suggest discussing these issues with your manager to discover ways you can use your... More

"There is no work life balance here"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee stock purchase plan. It goes in 6 month periods. You can invest as little as 1% or up to 10% of your salary.

Cons

Management doesn't care about your work/life balance after they convert you from a contractor to employee after 6 months. As a contractor, they make it seem great and that they are very accommodating. Day 1 after becoming an employee I was consistently working 60-70 hour work weeks and weekends.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You've hired us for our experience and knowledge, now get out of the way for me to do my job.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you're finding issues as a full-time employee. I would suggest discussing this change in hours with your manager and also bringing this to HRDirect so they... More

10. "Sr IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company to work for, no politics, no micro management.

Cons

Too many changes resource level and process changes. Upper management are too confused and things get escalated quickly.

Advice to Management

Spend a week working with employees so you could learn and make better decisions.