UnitedHealth Group Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 216 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 238 reviews)

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

2. "Project Manager - good work, team & culture"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Loved working here. Great team culture, lot of collaboration. Learnt a lot in a short time. Provides an environment with stabilized Project Management practices. Many teams are moving from waterfall to agile.

Cons

Need more variety of food in the cafeteria.

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective of our organization. We wish you the best. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

3. "Sr. Project Manager"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent and Flexible Work Environment.

Cons

Too frequent Changes in Organization.

Advice to Management

Keep the processes simple. Everyone new director likes to get rid of the old team and hire a new one. Not a good thing.

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working at UHC for over 7 years now, and my experience has been very positive. The work is interesting and challenging, the vast majority of people are great to work with, and I feel I am fairly compensated with above average benefits. I have worked for many of the major companies in the St Louis area, and this has been my best experience so far.

Cons

Internal processes can be cumbersome at times, and of course there is the political landscape. But I think these are issues that most large companies face

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

6. "Great culture, shame about the atmoshpere"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, and the words / ideas to support it are there.

Cons

Sr management are so secretive about plans / strategies that it's almost impossible to execute with any degree of clarity.

"Project Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, see cons below.

Cons

Terrible place to be, large lay-offs of top employees. Kept worst employees, some without college degrees (and it shows). Large lay-off right before bonus pay-out and salary raise period, absolutely no respect for employees. Absolutely no way to move-up and be promoted due to terrible resource management.

Advice to Management

When you lay-off people, don't just lay-off due to "organizational" reasons. At the very least, evaluate your employees and keep those that actually work and don't play games all day.

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry this organization didn't work out for you. I've enjoyed my career at UnitedHealth Group and feel respected and appropriately compensated. We wish you the ... More

"An okay company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large diverse workforce
    Focused on continuously improving systems and software
    Competitive starting pay

Cons

Focused more on profits than customers
    Secret bonus and merit increase policies
    Lack of bonus/merit increases unless you are upper management
    Management more focused on getting what they want out the door than quality of product

Advice to Management

Share some of the record setting profits with the people that actually do the work
    Focus on quality of product over time to market
    Put some thought and planning into HOW changes should be implemented instead of just making the decision to change and dumping it on others to work through it

Feb 16, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you feel there is a profit focus and change issues within your team. UnitedHealth Group works diligently to create a great culture and atmosphere for employees ... More

"In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

Advice to Management

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

I appreciate your honest feed back about working at UnitedHealth Group. Yes, it is true, our company has experience growth at a rapid pace. This growth fuels the need for high-performing employees ... More

"Slow moving"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are really good to work with and there isn't a 'stab somebody in the back' mentality at all. Very much team player environment.

Cons

Extremely difficult to get promoted. You must apply for any position as if you were an external candidate. Zero preferential treatment for being a current employee. Got know somebody or be friends with the hiring manager to get anywhere.

Advice to Management

promote from within; stop moving people around to have different positions in the same department. People want to move UP, not sideways. And give your employees free healthcare for crying out loud - you're the #1 provider in the country. Throw your employees a bone.

Jan 12, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. I would advise you to check out our internal careers website for open positions, and yes, you do need to meet all of the advertised qualifications in order to take ... More

11. "On the Fence"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many open positions and locations

Cons

It's a challenge to understand how the various lines of business are organized and integrated with one another. Employees are small cogs in a very large wheel.

Advice to Management

UHG needs to execute on its corporate values rather than just giving them lip service. Ensure middle managers are walking the walk.

Jan 19, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Many managers do need to attend culture training, but as more people move through our organization, not everyone gets the training when they need it. I encourage you to ... More