UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sign Up for FREE in seconds to unlock millions of salaries and reviews

UnitedHealth Group Reviews

Dave Wichmann

6,765 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Claims Anaylst"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great Pay great company upset to be laid off

Cons

I can really say nothing bad

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great company, Self learning, Move up learn more if they you.

Cons

Favorites move up and trained more.

"Communication Director"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Worked from home. 401K match is ok. Vanguard funds, so...

Cons

Multiple managers. Little instruction. Difficult to navigate across so many silos.

6. "Cbcm"

Current Employee - CBCM in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - CBCM in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are A lot of perks

Cons

Training as a whole is terrible

Advice to Management

Before doubling in size, have training in place

May 23, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I think you've made some valid points that I would encourage you to share with your manager - what do you feel is missing? As a large... More

"Don't pay out PTO"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, awesome coworkers, relatively good pay, good stock purchase plan.

Cons

DID NOT PAY OUT PTO TIME WHEN LEAVING COMPANY. USE YOUR PTO BEFORE YOU LEAVE. WAS LED TO BELIEVE BY MGMT THAT IT IS, BUT HR CLAIMS THEY ONLY DO SO IN STATES THAT REQUIRE IT BY LAW (MINE ISN'T ONE). Company health insurance is bad in comparison to previous employers, which is counter-intuitive, being a health insurance provider.

Advice to Management

Don't cheap out on employer sponsored health insurance when you're a health insurance provider. I've heard from multiple coworkers that they were on their spouse's plan because the employee insurance is so bad in comparison to the average company -- this is sad for an insurance provider. You should incentivize using the services of the company, not put employees to competitors. Pay out remaining PTO time like almost every other employer or make it clear that it should be used before leaving employment.

8. "CSR"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

It's like working with family. Everyone in the dispatch department is great

Cons

the pay could be better

"Working at UH"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

It was a great job

Cons

Nothing really it was pretty good

10. "Good company"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Complicated. Need more operating discipline.

Advice to Management

Better communication and improved processes

Showing 6,765 of 7,063 reviews