UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Dave Wichmann

6,239 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 776 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 445 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

"nurse"

Current Employee - Nurse in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Miami, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great placeto work for first couple of years and if you plan to retire soon

Cons

no parking. Patient information can be eaisly accessible

Advice to Management

try to not to micromanage employees

4. "Good Company"

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Not as much options to move up

"Healthcare Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - HealthCare Services Coordinator
    Current Employee - HealthCare Services Coordinator

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress and friendly work environment.

Cons

Repetitive and stagnant working conditions.

Advice to Management

Remain consistent with job offers and descriptions. When constant changes to the initial description and expectation in duties and benefits occur, employee drive will definitely decrease.

6. "Review"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Room for growth,and Good pay

Cons

There is nothing bad to say about company

7. "Very Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No age discrimination; Ample opportunity to move to other departments.

Cons

Rather expensive, high deductible health insurance

Advice to Management

You are a major health insurance company. Your top benefit to employees should be excellent, inexpensive, low deductible healthcare.

8. "Great Team Spirit"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Really amazing group of people, just wonderful and supported.

Cons

Easy to get lost in a company this size.

Oct 16, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree that it's a great environment to be in - I have had a similar experience. With the sheer amount of talent, it can be difficult to stand out among your... More

9. "Good company loved employee s"

Pros

Good company loved employees

Cons

The didn’t have any cons to me

"United Healthcare Sr. Case Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Case Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Case Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home definitely has its perks

Cons

Lots of learning and must be able to accept change

Advice to Management

Just make sure we have what we need to do our jobs well

Oct 12, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. If you need additional resources, reach out to your manager or you can also contact HRDirect at 800-561-0861, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday... More

Showing 6,239 of 6,493 reviews