UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,910 Ratings

5,512 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work from home flexibility stress free (in 670 reviews)

• If you have a good boss, work-life balance is great (in 374 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 215 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 237 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

3. "Document Specialist review"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, PTO.

Cons

Tough for advancement, unclear objectives.

Feb 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hello, thank you for your review. We agree that work-life flexibility is a great benefit. Have you looked at the Career Exploration & Development page on HRdirect? There's a helpful section on ... More

5. "Great"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and patient focused, great team atmosphere.

Cons

Large enterprises, you can get list in the crowd.

Feb 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for your review and we're appreciative of your service over the 5+ years with UnitedHealth Group. Wishing you all the best in the future. Sincerely, Lori Bodner, Talent Community Manager ... More

6. "Overview"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really good knowledge sharing foundation and learning base. Very professional environment

Cons

The telecommute option is difficult to attain

7. "customer service rep"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

excellent company to work for. lots of growth

Cons

the pay isn't that good.

8. "Very Cool Company to work with"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Work Culture and Pay Scale

Cons

Nothing Though Except some Managers

9. "Great Career"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Telecommuting is a huge plus

Cons

Work from home has its downsides too

Feb 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're enjoying the work/life flexibility at UnitedHealth Group. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

10. "Clinical admin"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home flexibility stress free

Cons

Benefits management kinda wonky practices

Feb 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. You can find out why we offer certain benefits and you can find more benefits to take advantage of at http://uhg.hr/2e3k. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager ... More

"Great place to build a career and retire from"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. The morale throughout the company is very high and tenured are in the decades not just single digits. So many direction to move up in. The options of where to move up next can go in almost infinite directions.

Cons

Very corporate, to the extent that we have no on site HR. Whatever position you are hired for you must stay for a minimum of 12 months before you can apply for something else. Also, for being a HealthCare company the benefits have a very high deductible. The premiums are low though. I think I would rather have a higher premium but lower deductibles.

Advice to Management

Look into the benefits, lower deductibles. Take a company survey and see what the employee prefers.

Feb 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're enjoying the culture and several benefits that UnitedHealth Group has to offer. I'm sorry you feel some of the benefits do not fit your needs. Health care ... More

Showing 5,512 of 5,701 reviews