UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,224 Ratings

6,180 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 770 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 439 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

"UHG"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

UHG has great value and culture. It's a good company to work for and with very good benefits. They do offer clear goals and direction.

Cons

Leadership is always preaching transparency but at time it feels like just words with no validity. At times it's difficult to move from one product to another.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is help your staff grow beyond the vital sign period.

4. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Provider Services Resolution Specialist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Provider Services Resolution Specialist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UHC is a great company to work for. The pay and benefits are great and the company takes a great interest in training you. Work schedules can be bid on every quarter, so it gives you a chance to change schedules. They have an incentive bonus that allows you to get an extra $400 each month that you meet your metrics.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons in my opinion. UHC is a great company to work for,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Manager, Contract Analytics & Provider Relations"

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great vision for healthcare. Great benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Worldwide company. Can be overwhelming to some.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the heart of your employees. Encourage and challenge them.

6. "Network Performance Manager"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Telecommute
    Promotion opportunities
    Employee Stock Purchasing Program

Cons

When pay grade ranges shift towards an increase, there is no attempt to ensure employees are still being paid in the lay grade their role is in.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Benefits, passion, leadership, community involvement

Cons

Stressful, high expectations, at times lack of communication between departments

8. "Customer Advocate"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

hours, pay, location, pace, coworkers

Cons

coworkers, supervisors, consistency, organization, management

9. "java developer"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

benefits and perks, work culture

Cons

no cons at this moment

Sep 22, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

I agree that the culture is a pro of working for UnitedHealth Group. I'm glad you shared your experience and thank you for your review.

Best,
    Ashley Beattie, Sr. Talent Community Manager... More

10. "Resolutions Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Resolution Specialist
    Former Employee - Resolution Specialist

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots telecommuting opportunity, which helps to balance work and family life.

Cons

Less opportunity for career growth when Telecommuting.

Showing 6,180 of 6,422 reviews