UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

2. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Optum Insight has good benefits and work to stay on the cutting edge with healthcare technology.

Cons

Management expectations for implementations are somewhat aggressive and premature for the newer products.

Advice to Management

Allow for better product quality assurance and time to market.

3. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Sends work overseas, benefits are okay

4. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Provider Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Provider Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous pto and good pay

Cons

Not ready to move up a lot of favoritism

5. "Appeals Rep"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

It is a steady job to have.

Cons

Little forward mobility unless in management.

Advice to Management

Lower level employees should be paid more.

Nov 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would encourage you to keep an open line of communication with your manager about your development plan and how your current position could feed into further... More

6. "RN Case Manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping the Members with services

Cons

Loss of position due to contract ending

"Provider Services"

Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a call center environment its great because you're speaking with providers that work in doctors offices so there is a mutual respect. Very reasonable and achievable goals . Great bonuses and decent pay. I started at 15.15 hr. Easiest call center job I've ever had.

Cons

They just recently changed their sick time to where you are able to miss 1-2 consecutive days and if you have PTO it counts as a sick day. If you are sick for 1-2 days and you don't have PTO it counts as an occurrence. It used to be every missed consecutive day 1-5 counts as an occurrence. If you have more than 4 occurrences you are put on what is called a cap. A cap you can not move up/work for another department, you don't get raises or bonuses. An occurrence is removed a year from the time you missed that day/received it. Other cons are speaking with what we call 3rd party callers with 20 plus claims. Some 3rd party callers are very hard to understand. This is a con because the add time to your AHT and your AHT is one factor used to get bonuses.

Advice to Management

Some supervisors are great (My Supervisor). Others are not willing to help or push their agents to achieve more and to move up within the company. I feel there should be more supervisors that are willing to help their agents.

Nov 8, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review! I recommend you share your experience with your manager or HR department so they can address your concerns appropriately. They can be reached at: 1-800-561-0861. Sincerely... More

8. "Claims Adjuster"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great paying company around here

Cons

Alot of stress put on employees

9. "Lots of opportunity to advance , endless opportunities to pivot and change departments"

Current Employee - Senior Network Contract Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Network Contract Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stock purchase program is generous , PTO is better than most . Great training modules offered. Company will continue to grow .

Cons

Human Resources restrictions , limited office space . Overall , tremendous employer , highly successful organization . Company needs more in person interaction between employees

Advice to Management

Please improve the tuition assistance program .

Nov 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would highly recommend keeping and open line of communication with your manager about some of these issues. Also, feel free to share your concerns with our HR... More

10. "Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Workforce Management Analyst in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Workforce Management Analyst in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work, never sitting idle. Lots of different segments working together to complete the various leadership goals throughout each selling season.

Cons

Slow approval and integration of requested needs for positions and parts of the business. Hard for leadership to stick to a decision.

Advice to Management

Please follow through on helping your employees achieve the goals they set out with your guidance.

Nov 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience, this is very insightful. I would encourage you to keep an open line of communication with your managers about ways to optimize the integration and approval... More

Showing 6,334 of 6,598 reviews