UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,048 Ratings

5,806 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Run!"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you get in early, you'll get an okay schedule
    Good teamwork and rewards given
    Okay facility
    Pays the bills

Cons

Micro managing
    Worst employee benefits ever
    Tell you one thing but will mean another
    Expect an occurrence for everything
    Core value is compassion but upper management lacks this

Advice to Management

Show the same compassion to your employees that you want your employees to show to the members.

May 11, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you feel your management is not showing you compassion. I suggest discussing this issue with HRDirect so they can appropriately handle the situation. You can ... More

"Strong organization with ample opportunities and excellent growth!"

Current Employee - Medicare Risk Adjustment and Quality Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 5.5 years and this is my 4th position. Tremendous opportunities and flexibility to move among departments and business units. I've reported to 3 directors who had shown strong leadership, communication and provided constructive criticism at times to help me move forward. I intent to stay with the company for many years to come.
    Many pros:
    1. Telecommute. A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home. All my positions with the company have been telecommuting.
    2. Excellent ESPP (15% discount of lower trading price at either beginning or ending of the 6-month-trading period). Maximum 10% auto debit from paychecks, managed by Fidelity.
    3. Have passed my 5 year tenure and received 28 PTO days plus 8 national holidays. I started with 23 PTO days plus 8 national holidays.
    4. Decent tuition reimbursement. Finished my masters a couple of years ago and if my memory serves me right, the company reimbursed $5,500/year for non clinical programs.

Cons

Just as any large organization, UHG is highly matrix and complex. It was very frustrating at the beginning of my employment with the company - being a telecommuter, lived in Houston, TX reported to NY but territory was northern CA. Didn't know who to turn to for questions and resources. It took me a couple years and lots of research to be able to successfully perform my job. For telecommute positions, self-started and self-motivators tend to do very well.

Advice to Management

More transparency and communication from corporate leadership. I anticipate constant change in direction, goals and organizational structure due to the nature of our business. However, it would be nice to have information as FYI.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your great review of our organization. I'm glad you were able to experience many opportunities to grow and develop at UnitedHealth Group. There are some great resources online to help ... More

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - OptumInsight, Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - OptumInsight, Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

data-driven decision making; great coaching

Cons

few data scientist, few entry level employees

"Overall positive"

Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, decent pay. Good team support. On site clinic

Cons

Some managers are not as good as others. Org is so big it can be hard to determine impacts to all teams.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the role to have subject matter experts leading versus managers that don't understand the role.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're enjoying a flexible work schedule and team support. If you have issues with management you can reach out to HRDirect so they can properly handle the ... More

8. "SME"

Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work .. management is very concern about the employees

Cons

Mobility is difficult from one line of business to another line of business

"I heard positive feed back about the company"

Current Employee - Data Rate Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Data Rate Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have 20 + years experience in managed care from provider relations. Data management and contracting. Loading Cms and Rbrvs fee schedule and loading hospital line item schedule with and without auto filters. And physician contracting also.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at the moment

Advice to Management

I am a people person great customer svc. No supervision needed. I am a true team player.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

I am glad you are enjoying your employee experience at UnitedHealth Group! Sarah M. Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Top ranked"

Former Employee - Telephonic Acute Inpatient Care Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Telephonic Acute Inpatient Care Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary
    Approachable managers
    Good workflow
    Forbes 500
    Flexible than bedside work

Cons

Understaff
    Frequent shuffle of work assignments

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our organization. I'm glad you were able to enjoy several benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. We wish you the best. Sincerely ... More

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Billing Analyst in Duluth, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, Benefits , pay , management , locations

Cons

no cons good company to work for

Showing 5,806 of 6,021 reviews