UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Wichmann

6,390 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

3. "An amazing place to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful work environment, amazing people, lots of room to grow, focus on individual development, great culture.

Cons

Can be difficult at times to navigate as the organization is so huge! But if you're good at it, you are richly rewarded.

4. "Credentialing rep"

Current Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Credentialing Specialist in Westerville, OH

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance, great environment . Job security

Cons

Management, no real opportunity to move up in company

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better

Dec 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I suggest talking with your manager about growth and you can also go online to find tools and resources to develop your career. You can find out more employee growth and... More

5. "Great Job as long as you follow the rules."

Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Kingston, NY
    Current Employee - Benefits Advisor in Kingston, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great leadership, great opportunities. Never a dull moment and their are quarterly bonuses for exceeding expectations and doing your job.

Cons

The people calling in, stressful when people don’t understand their plans they choose, not all departments communicate with each other.

Advice to Management

Be more like the Kingston location. Look over everyone’s progress and give advice.

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elkridge, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elkridge, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and Work Life Balance

Cons

Organization/Structure, location and some resources

7. "The best company ever!!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is really supportive, technology and IT is very good. They give latest top notch hardware to the employees. Flexible work hours. Importance for innovation and out of box thinking.

Cons

Many teams are not co-located which makes interaction a little difficult at the beginning. Benefits can be improved. They are good, not great.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Local Healthcare Insurance Business"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, nice offices, variety of work and opportunities to grow.

Cons

Regular layoff's , corporate offices are in one location rather than multiple sites around the cities .

Advice to Management

Work with employee to find new position prior to paying for severance and possible rehire

9. "Sr IT Director"

Pros

Interesting Work. Since the company is so large you have the ability to reinvent yourself.

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on who you work for.

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are so right, being a matrix-ed organization, with multiple businesses to support, there are many paths your career can take. Learn more... More

"Money matters"

Current Employee - Payment Appendix Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Payment Appendix Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours working from home. Maybe on annual trip. No driving to work or taking time off for doctor appts etc.

Cons

Boring after awhile. No challenge. Same things happen on a yearly basis. Lots of adhoc meetings that are not necessary

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. The CFO makes 60-100 million a year. That’s ridiculous. You could give everyone bonuses each year with half that salary

Dec 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing. You are right - the flexibility is great, but there are some routines. Consider looking for ways to engage yourself more into the organization, like participating in HUB Connect... More

Showing 6,390 of 6,656 reviews