UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Wichmann

7,107 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Full stack web developer"

Current Employee - Full Stack Web Developer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Full Stack Web Developer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s very good company to explore new technologies.

Cons

I didn’t find any cons till date.

Aug 7, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and providing positive feedback! Sincerely, Natasha N.- Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

4. "Customer Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place of employment

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Wonderful company with incredible values"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leaders that I have worked with all live the culture and values. The staff here is kind, driven and happy. The company supports work/life balance and has an incredible Minnesota campus comeplete with cafes, gyms and an onsite clinic.

Cons

There can be challenges if you are misfortunate enough to end up under one of the very very few leaders who do not quite live the values.

6. "Optum"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have a good work/life balance.

Cons

Lots of change and turmoil. Planning for corporate restructuring is lacking

7. "CM"

Current Employee - Medical Management, Concurrent Review in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Management, Concurrent Review in New York, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Established company
    Great coworkers
    Good orientation

Cons

Realistic expectations are listed below

Advice to Management

Our healthcare system is overwhelmed. You will not find an “easy” job in this industry. This is a fast paced company with so many divisions and sub divisions. I was nervous joining this company based on the reviews I read here. Bc they’re so many different areas within the company, it is hard to give a review that most ppl will find useful. On my team, everyone is very friendly, helpful and supportive. The caseloads are heavy but that’s the norm no matter where you go. Some days I work late. Most days I don’t. Compared to other jobs I’ve worked, this one is doable and when it isn’t, my colleagues have no issue with stepping in to help.
    Go in with an open mind and determine whether this path is for you. Don’t allow other ppls experiences deter you from applying for a job here. That’s the best advice I can give.

Sep 24, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback! The advice you are providing is an accurate reflection of my experience as well. Sarah M. Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

8. "Superficial"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, no weekends, good work/life balance

Cons

The pay isn’t great and could be better for being one of the largest health insurance companies. Leadership makes promises they can’t keep. There is a lot of favoritism

Advice to Management

Do what’s right, not what is fair. Stop protecting people in leadership when they’re wrong and bullying advocates. Take accountability.

Sep 24, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. If you think that there are issues with management, consider reaching out to HR Direct at 1-800-561-0861 Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM CT and voice your... More

9. "Pretty Good"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Decent place to work, friendly people, all of my immediate managers sincerely cared about me and my development.

Cons

Career growth opportunities are there, however, you will mainly have opportunity to move laterally, not quite as much opportunity to move upwards.

10. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good supervisory staff, decent pay, good benefits, good PTO accruance. Great place to learn about the security intelligence industry.

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement, bureaucracy complicates innovation, limited sense of strategic purpose. Decison making process is opaque and seemingly arbitrary.

Showing 7,107 of 7,421 reviews