UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Wichmann

6,570 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Member Services Representative"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

This is a great Place to work if you enjoy to sit all day

Cons

There is not much movement

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

"Meh"

Current Employee - IT Man
    Current Employee - IT Man

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance for those who can telecommute and good culture

Cons

The pay is for the birds. no cost of living increases and the "merit" raises each year are less than the cola adjustment SSI recipients get. It doesn't pay to be loyal to this company

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they are worth! Loyalty should be rewarded, not discouraged!

Jan 25, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are an organization that pays for performance and review benefits annually. Please contact your manager regarding your review or HR Direct at... More

"Great experience. Great benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: good benefits, company will work around your schedule. Alot of support

Cons

none to this date. Great company to work for. No complaints.

Feb 22, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your great review of our organization! Love to hear you're enjoying your role at UnitedHealth Group. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

6. "Clinical Administrative Coordinator"

Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Fellow in Washington, DC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great Company, telecommuting opportunities, decent salaries

Cons

High deductible health plans, You can't cash out PTO hours if you quit

7. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture value and marketing branding; pay is significantly higher than the market rate

Cons

Probably give more equity-award to all employees

Advice to Management

Give equity awards to all employees

"Reconsider the job requirements"

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, PTO, 401K, Flexibility, Management, Diversity

Cons

Pay raises are extremely low. Job requirements make unnecessarily difficult for internal advancement.

Advice to Management

There should be an opportunity for internal candidates to obtain advancement opportunities before any consideration of external employees. Everyone goes through training regardless of whether you're internal, external, so the strong emphasis on licensing and or particular computer programs is an unnecessary roadblock for great candidates. Please reconsider this. Thank you!

Feb 21, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for being candid. You are right there are some great things about UnitedHealth Group, especially work from home opportunities and there are areas that may need some improvemen... More

9. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The position is telecommute which makes it great for days when you don’t really feel like leaving the house.

Also the starting pay is pretty good compared to a lot of companies I’ve worked for and I had MORE experience starting previous jobs than with this one.

Cons

It’s very fast paced so if you’re not a quick learner you will get left behind.

Some of the supervisors can be a little rude and very impatient. Can’t expect the newer people to be on the same level as your seasoned employees in a month.

Miscommunication is somewhat of a problem also

Feb 22, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective. It's great to hear you're enjoying your role at UnitedHealth Group. Any issues you're experience within the workplace can be addressed with HR Direct. You can... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - Provider Resolution Specialist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Provider Resolution Specialist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, benefits and pay are Great! For people reading other UHG reviews, where it says that the health insurance and pay increases aren't very good, you need to take into account other things. First of all, regarding benefits, employees are paying a small fraction of the actual cost of our health insurance, so we have very low premiums, even though The deductibles may be higher. The same insurance would cost you 4-5 tmes the amount at a different company. Regarding salary increases, other companies may give higher yearly increases, but they dont offer quarterly bonuses between $1400-$2200. When you work for a company, you cannot take into account only your yearly salary. You have to take into account the extra amounts that it pays for you. UHG is a fantastic company!

Cons

My only con would be that we aren't given sick days. I have only missed 2 days from work, in the last 3 years, but I don't like the fact that I was given an occurrence for each of those days.

Advice to Management

Give us actual sick days.

Feb 5, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful review! It is very insightful to see real examples of how the some of the benefits work together at UnitedHealth Group. I also encourage you to share your feedback... More

Showing 6,570 of 6,852 reviews