UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,211 Ratings

6,153 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 766 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 435 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

3. "good"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Savannah, GA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Staff
    - Salary
    - Work life balance

Cons

-UPPER Management
    - Communication with employees should improve

Advice to Management

It is what it is...how do we fix it.

4. "Work-Life Balance"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is work-life balance. Flexible time schedule and work from home options. Brilliant team work and rewards system.

Cons

Technologically not agile - could be more adaptive with new technology

Advice to Management

Be more adaptive to new technology

5. "Developer"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good work environment and work worshippers

Cons

low pay, laying off some people

Sep 18, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad to hear you are enjoying your career. I encourage you to chat with your manager about your concerns and keep an open line of communications about... More

6. "Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Provider Service Representative in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only worked between 7-6pm (its a shift bid process)
    Telecommute option is available
    Coaches(supervisors) are willing to work with you

Cons

The work can be repetitive , if your the type who like to do the same thing with a few changes then it s awesome.
    Can be tough to move up and over to new positions
    Micro-managed with time

7. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Provider Data Consultant in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Provider Data Consultant in Duluth, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of opportunity to progress career. Great co workers.

Cons

Corporate job, great fit for some, not so great for some.

Advice to Management

Continually evaluate talent and reward it.

Sep 15, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! It sounds like you've enjoyed your career at UnitedHealth Group so far. I am so glad to hear that your experience has been enjoyable. Good luck to you... More

8. "BI Developer"

Former Employee - SQL BI Developer in Port St Lucie, FL
    Former Employee - SQL BI Developer in Port St Lucie, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Very organized and they take time to train you very well! Good management!

Cons

Can not say anything bad!

Sep 15, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Megan Mueller, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

9. "Work at home"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for this company is they give you the opportunity to work from home. You recieve benefits from day one and advancement based on what you know not who you know.

Cons

Getting there if you do not work from home. I see alot of people that walk a bit of distance to the bus stop because there is not one closer or in front of the building.

Advice to Management

If someone is working from home due to an illness do not force them to work at the office.

Sep 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review! It's great to see you're enjoying the work life flexibility and other benefits of working here. If you know friends or family who would also be a good fit to our... More

10. "Provider rep"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, can get bonuses, gym on site

Cons

the customers, the job just keeps adding things onto your plate but they do not pay you

Advice to Management

STOP adding things

Sep 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your comments, we certainly do take into account all the feedback provided. Regarding workload, I would encourage you to also share your thoughts with you manager. Alternatively, HR... More

Showing 6,153 of 6,392 reviews