UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Wichmann

7,204 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Long Term Stability"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Such a large company that you can change your career without leaving

Cons

It can be difficult to enact change.

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

4. "PHD Broker Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great amenities and overall benefits

Cons

Pay range is rather on the low end

"It's been a great experience to me"

Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

*Telecommute.
    *Amazingly supportive work team with strong corporate culture, though I do realize it might not be the same experience in every single department of this company.
    *Above average pay.
    *Overtime available very often with great differential rate, though a certain number of hours is not guaranteed, if at all. Some coworkers do very little and others take as much as they can.
    *PTO in addition to paid company holidays.
    *ESPP is very generous but they cap the contributions bellow the maximum percentage allowed by law.
    *Employee discount website does have some really useful perks here and there sometimes.

Cons

*It can get very stressful at times, specially if you haven't met your numbers.
    *Health insurance for employees is bellow average for an insurance company whose business is precisely insurance. Deductible is very high in all plans, although one can get a pretty nice premium discount or HSA bonus if enrolled in a health prevention program they offer. Vision is good but dental is stingy.
    *401k matching is not the best.

Advice to Management

Health insurance benefits are in dire need of a revamp. The employer matching for the 401k and the ESPP can be improved. Offer stress relief training or something similar.

Nov 15, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We're always working on ways to update our benefits and offerings. For stress relief training, please take advantage of the services at The Well. This... More

6. "Has it's perks"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, work at home, vacation time, stock discounts, 401k.

Cons

Insurance costs are outrageous, spouse penalties, raises are "performance based" but never seem to be more than 2%. Opportunities to advance are based on Who you know, not what you know.

Nov 20, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying a few of the benefits UnitedHealth Group offers its employees. I'm sorry you're feeling limited in advancement opportunities. I... More

7. "Appeals and grievances representative"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Work from home is an option

Cons

Not a friendly environment at times

Nov 15, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your opinion about the environment. Please reach out to your HR contact and let them know the particular issue you encountered at your work site/office... More

8. "Best place to work"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Diversity of different tecnology platforms

Cons

Familiarity of existing teams and resources

9. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Salary, benefits, team work, hours

Cons

None. None. None at all

Nov 7, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for writing a review! We are happy to hear you enjoy being an employee at UnitedHealth Group! Sincerely, Meredith - Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Opportunity for growth if you work hard. Decent benefits and excellent pays. PTO is better than most and your voice can be heard if you approach the situation with an open mind.

Cons

Sometimes you get lost in the shuffle. Workloads and expectations are high. Culture could use some work at times.

Oct 30, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you've been enjoying the opportunities and benefits UnitedHealth Group offers their employees. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with getting lost in the... More

Showing 7,204 of 7,524 reviews