UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley
1,888 Ratings

5,491 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Especially if you want to work from home (in 665 reviews)

• If you have a good boss, work-life balance is great (in 371 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 215 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 237 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

UnitedHealth Group Response

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Great place to build a career and retire from"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Advocate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. The morale throughout the company is very high and tenured are in the decades not just single digits. So many direction to move up in. The options of where to move up next can go in almost infinite directions.

Cons

Very corporate, to the extent that we have no on site HR. Whatever position you are hired for you must stay for a minimum of 12 months before you can apply for something else. Also, for being a HealthCare company the benefits have a very high deductible. The premiums are low though. I think I would rather have a higher premium but lower deductibles.

Advice to Management

Look into the benefits, lower deductibles. Take a company survey and see what the employee prefers.

"Good Benefits, Terrible Pay"

Current Employee - Medical Claims Review Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Claims Review Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HSA account, flexibility, considerate, great PTO

Cons

Underpaid and overworked, too difficult to request transfer. Even if it is lateral.

Advice to Management

The Human Capital Department sucks!!! Please bring in the people who actually seem like they care about us.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At UHG we live the mission of helping people live healthier lives

Cons

Large organization some difficulty navigating the system

Advice to Management

Continue with your supportive and caring leadership.

7. "UnitedHealth Group"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Invest in their employee's development and goals.

Cons

Corporate America has pros and cons in itself. Salary rates are very competitive and jobs internally are equally as competitive.

8. "Very Organized"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great company morale. Very supportive of employees. Everyone takes great pride in their work.

Cons

So many affiliates it can get confusing trying to keep them straight.

9. "Clinical Administrative Coordinator"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance and great direct management

Cons

Pay and Benefits need to improve.

Advice to Management

If you are going to have employees have an HSA then you really should increase their pay to be able to add money to their HSA accounts to cover medical expenses.

10. "Clinical Services Manager"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good insurance, not top heavy with management.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

There can be a lot of drama and it's hard to get the bad apples out without an act of congress. Be more present and require team building exercises. I think team building is over looked and can really make a difference.

11. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been working at UHC for over 7 years now, and my experience has been very positive. The work is interesting and challenging, the vast majority of people are great to work with, and I feel I am fairly compensated with above average benefits. I have worked for many of the major companies in the St Louis area, and this has been my best experience so far.

Cons

Internal processes can be cumbersome at times, and of course there is the political landscape. But I think these are issues that most large companies face

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Showing 5,491 of 5,676 reviews