UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,147 Ratings

5,991 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 751 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 421 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 233 reviews)

• They offer the worse health insurance package I've ever had in my working career to their own employees (in 253 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

3. "Good, but has lots of room for improvement."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very challenging.
    Great PTO.
    Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Political non-sense between groups.
    Big organization, hard ton know where you are at.

Advice to Management

More work done, less politics and bureaucracy.

Jul 21, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi there, Thank you for your review and comments. We love to see that you have listed a challenging workplace as a benefit! As a high performer, politics and bureaucracy should never get in the way... More

4. "Advocate"

Current Employee - Advocate in The Villages, FL
    Current Employee - Advocate in The Villages, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, pay, benefits, flexible with PTO as long as the personel is available to cover. If you end up in a main office like Miami or Tampa there are no limits to how high you can go with hard work and dedication. The ability to move up is literally up to you.

Cons

Higher ups are big on micro-managing.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about numbers and stop taking great agents for granted

5. "Good company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security, Learn New Technologies

Cons

Long Working Hours, Dominant Senior Management

6. "Newly hired"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in New York, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good care model, compensation, benefits, excellent clinical resources and support

Cons

Lots of documentation and computer teim

7. "Human Capital Family Service Advisor"

Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly benefits shift is good.

Cons

Far from home. Needs a 4 10 hour work day

8. "Decent gig"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Buffalo, NY

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits
    Flexible hours
    Room to move and grow

Cons

Micromanaged
    pay is not the greatest

9. "United Health Group is a very good environment to work for."

Former Employee - Senior Front End (UI) Developer in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Front End (UI) Developer in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly Environment.
    Well organized.
    Sometimes they allow employees to work from home.

Cons

I did not see that many issues at United health group.

Jul 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with UnitedHealth Group, we appreciate your review! Best, Ashley Beattie, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Community Health Worker"

Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Orlando, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Their pay structures are very aggressive with great incentives similar to military pay grade style. The training is second to none. It's so thorough that there is little excuse to be ignorant of any protocols and they pride themselves with information updates to remain competitive in the field. Not a boring job. Not a company for the lazy.

Cons

If you like things to stay the same this place is not for you. UHG is constantly changing their techniques and their approach which makes constant learning imperative. They overkill on meetings, again to remain razor sharp as a company but it has it's wear and tear. Requires High Energy as they always maximise employees time to get the most out of you. The insurance they offer is similar to any other medium sized company even though they are an insurance company.

Advice to Management

In Canada high stress on the job is not popular. Try to find a balance that you can preserve the emotional and mental health of your employees and maintain a high yield. Remember your workers are your highest capital. Your an health insurance company, offer the best insurance to your employees that can't be accessed from working for other companies and a higher quality of employees will be accessible and it will lower your turnover rate.

Jul 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed a few benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. I'm sorry you were worn down in your job. I've experience great work/life flexibility... More

Showing 5,991 of 6,213 reviews