UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dave Wichmann

6,866 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A place where talented individuals thrive and are pushed for further growth and advancement"

Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Underwriter in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professionalism amongst peers
    Beautiful work atmosphere and environment
    Feeling that the work you do is making a difference
    Driven people are rewarded and recognized
    Ample room for growth and career development
    Learning opportunities
    Huge company with tons of different business areas
    Unbelievable benefits
    High compensation

Cons

Long interview process—but makes sense as they are looking for certain people
    Lots of change—great for those who can handle it and like change

Dec 4, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you have found growth and development within your roles. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Great Company"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company to work for. Attentive to the needs and concerns of employees

Cons

Sadly no benefits for contractors

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

4. "Opportunity at UHC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and the network of teams. Availability of nationwide and global placements. Diversity isn't just a word, from the leadership to the front line, there is diversity in working styles and skillets. They promote within and externally (good balance) and have a great recognition program. Good benefit package and many folks have an ability to work from home, which helps with work-life balance or busy cities to avoid loss time during commutes.

Cons

Some, but not all departments are dealing with antiquated technology resources for a fast pace changing industry. Lack of available mentors for career development resources to branch outside one's common role functions to grow in new areas.

Advice to Management

Organization could invest more on clinical technology development and training. They could also invest more in resources and tools for long term goals, as I have found they switch gears quickly for short-term gains, but don't always measure the impact long-term as it pertains to technology, maintenance and process improvements. Also, many silos. Teams and management could do a better job guiding teams to collaborate and consistency in transparency.

Jul 13, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our organization. I agree there is great diversity here and the work-life flexibility is a great perk. I recommend reaching out to HRDirect on your... More

5. "Salary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, and bonus every 3 months

Cons

None, Annual pay increase Great

6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Acct Executive in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Acct Executive in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay for the work completed

Cons

Long hours, levels of management

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

7. "ETL Developer"

Former Employee - ETL Developer
    Former Employee - ETL Developer

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perfect for freshers to get started with career opportunities in Healthcare Domain

Cons

I didn't find any really!

8. "Clinical Administrative Support"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Good hours. Support from higher ups.

Cons

No more than other companies in acquisition.

Advice to Management

na

"Call Center Nurse"

Current Employee - Call Center Nurse in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Call Center Nurse in Aurora, IL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work from home, good pay

Cons

same thing day in and day out

Advice to Management

support your employees, add more staff

Jul 6, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. When you work from home, it can be isolating, it may be time to find ways to reach out to co-workers or even managers to see how you can mentor others or... More

10. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Greensboro, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is amazing, very flexible schedule.

Cons

Easily burned out by claims process. A lot to know!

Jul 6, 2018 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience here, yes our company culture is amazing and there is a lot to learn in our claims area - it's part of being part of a high-performance team! Sarah M. Sr. Talent... More

Showing 6,866 of 7,171 reviews