UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
1,949 Ratings

5,604 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 216 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 238 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Edina, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent people, high standards, respect.

Cons

Salaries could be higher for job requirements.

Advice to Management

None.

Mar 24, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for the review and your time spent at UnitedHealth Group. We agree that surrouding yourself with a respectful team and high performers makes for a great work environement. Best, Ashley ... More

5. "Great place"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great place. Great people. Competitive pay and incentives.

Cons

Big company lots of bureaucracy

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're enjoying a few benefits UnitedHealth Group offers. This is a large organization and I would suggest discussing any issues you have with your manager in ... More

6. "Good overall"

Pros

Good Benefit Good Way of thinking

Cons

Stressing but interesting in the value

Advice to Management

Improve

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

7. "Good place to work, poor benefits"

Pros

Great environment, learning opportunities, ability to move within the corporation.

Cons

Poor insurance options, hard to move up

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying several of the benefits UnitedHealth Group offers. Advancement is based on the employee's hard work and performance. To increase your ... More

8. "Client Service Manager"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Exposure on current available software and ensures employees are knowledgeable.

Cons

Difficult to move within the company.

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback, have you gone to our internal careers website? There is lots of information on how to further your career journey, from classes/training to ensuring you apply for roles ... More

9. "ScrumMaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent people. Good work-life balance. Some wfh allowed.

Cons

Not much room for advancement, low pay.

Advice to Management

Improve pay

Mar 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you felt there was little advancement as there are many online opportunities to grow and advance your career online. We wish you the best. Sincerely, Amber Smith ... More

"Solid company with lots of professional potential"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm going on 18 years at UHG. The benefits are good, I take part in the employee stock purchase option, I'm socking away as best I can into my 401k with employer matching, I got a college degree using the tuition reimbursement program, I take advantage of the Health Savings Account and the opportunities available to lower my premiums. There is a a great deal of emphasis from the top down on values - knowing them, living them. Volunteerism is encouraged, as are team building opportunities outside work (e.g., Polar Plunge, National Volunteering Day). The CEO and his knights of the round table are committed to improving healthcare for everyone and finding ways to be proactive in getting people the healthcare they need.

Cons

Like any other business, there are some bad apples. I've had a couple of terrible managers (micro-managers, ego trippers). Thankfully, there are a lot of directions to go once you're in the door and I was able to exit those teams where I was destined to quit or be brow-beaten to death.

Advice to Management

Guys at the top - keep on fighting the good fight! As we make our way down into middle management, watch the Vital Signs and other signs that your managers are allowing really valuable people to leave the company because of team politics.

Mar 16, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Wow, what a great reflection! I agree, the executive staff is really good about modeling the leadership we need within the complicated health care system. And yes, there are departments and managers ... More

"Great oppurtunities."

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Fast paced, always opportunities to grow, they promote from within.

Cons

Starting out can be in a call center. Strict schedules and attendance expectation.

Advice to Management

n/a

Mar 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying several of the benefits UnitedHealth Group has to offer. Sincerely, Amber Smith, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Showing 5,604 of 5,799 reviews