UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,001 Ratings

5,714 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Work @ UHG"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Matured Agile Product Engineering Organization

Cons

Growth at a Leadership level is biased to relationship with Sr.Leadership

"Don't get too comfortable"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at home, great pay, culture is a great concept, but not all leaders walk the walk, they talk a good game but don't always heed their words

Cons

Just when you start to feel comfortable everything will change! Difficult to move around unless you know someone in the department

Advice to Management

Walk the walk and don't expect anything from your employees that you wouldn't do yourself

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you're feeling there isn't room to move around. We offer tips and growth opportunities online for our employees. You can find these on our Career Learning ... More

"Provider Resolution Specialist"

Current Employee - Provider Resolution Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Provider Resolution Specialist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Group of People.Surpervisors go above and beyond to engage employees.

Cons

Repetitive Work.Stressfull Mentally and Emotionally from Call Center Environment

Advice to Management

Offer more Job Shadowing Opportunities.

7. "Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Finance Management in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Management in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

UHG is one of the most competitive employers in the Twin Cities when it comes to compensation, PTO, work from home capabilities. As important as all of that, it is a company that actively encourages periodic movement within the company and that goes from the executive levels all the way down to staff in their first and second professional jobs.

Cons

As a result of the ongoing implementations of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the organization has been forced to do more with less in support of keeping the administrative costs down. The strong find a way to work more effectively and more efficiently. And those that don't want to work in that sort of environment somehow find their way on to alternative employment scenarios. In the end, the Company needs to add value to shareholders and maintain its position as the trailblazer in the industry and they continually march to the beat of that drum, successfully.

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I agree that UnitedHealth Group offers great benefits and room to grow your career. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this during your time here. We wish you the best ... More

8. "A great place to build a career"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management interested in personal development, competitive benefits, innovative and challenging work

Cons

Challenging to move into another role

Advice to Management

Have more regular discussions about the work that your reports are interested in

9. "Leadership is amazing"

Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in Cypress, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership is very knowledgeable and cares about our ultimate customers, the insured. The knowledge they have is invaluable in making the company better. They are also concerned about work life balance.

Cons

Salary inequality between internal and external job candidates with same skill sets. The discrepancy can be $20,000 a year, so negotiate for as much as possible and don't take the job unless they pay you a more favorable value that you're worth.

Advice to Management

Work harder at salary equality based on skill sets, regardless if you are internal or external.

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. One of the best parts of working for UnitedHealth Group is the benefit of work/life balance. I'm sorry you feel there are salary inequalities. I would suggest you reach out ... More

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked in Call Center I loved it . Got to work from home, good pay, good benefits, good PTO.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities unless you are willing to relocate

11. "Was afforded opportunities to grow my skills and gain exposure to multiple aspects of the business."

Former Employee - Operational Training Manager in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Operational Training Manager in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Annual reviews with potential for raises and bonuses. Many options for medical, dental, vision, 401k match, HSA and wellness programs with employee discounts. The employee recognition program is also very unique and allows leaders the ability to recognize their teams easily and often.

Cons

State of the business was in constant flux and never really felt any stability

Advice to Management

A organizations are aquired and bought out by UHG, there should be more focus on the people impacted and how they are being informed of the changes. Also, salaries for incoming aquisitions should be adjusted to match the role within UHG. As the people who were aquired are now expected to meet the expectations and perform the tasks outlined in the UHG job description, they should be compensated as such.

Apr 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Yes, there are acquisitions happening a lot within our larger organization and it can impact some of the departments more than others. The benefits and salary ... More

Showing 5,714 of 5,922 reviews