UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Advocate for Me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary Benefits Hours Overtime Location
    Coworkers

Cons

Management is a joke
    Training for failure
    Policy

"Run don’t walk away from this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, the only pro is working from home.

Cons

Micro-management from professionals with associates degree. Jealousy. bitternous and back stabbing are the norm.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is an all time high. Doesn’t recognize value and advancement with education. Managers and Directors should have bachelors education at a minimum. It does make a difference.

Dec 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you felt there was an issue with management during your time at UnitedHealth Group. I suggest expressing your concerns with HRDirect so they can properly... More

"Review"

Pros

A paycheck is about the only pro

Cons

Terrible management and HR support

"Very very strict rules and no regard for employees as human beings."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You form bonds with the people you work with based on your shared suffering of the system UHG puts in place. There is mandatory overtime, which is a good thing since you probably need extra money working here.

Cons

There are no days off, only an "occurence" policy. You basically do not get any sick days or any other reasonable reason to leave the office, instead you get 5 "occurences". But, if you are absent due to sickness, or sick child, whatever the case may be you get a negative occurence on your record. 3 occurences and you get a written warning and are unable to advance in the company. 5 occurences and you get fired. It is extremely unfair. One day, there was a huge accident causing almost everyone in the office to be late. Per company policy you should call if you are going to be late (although i dont know why it matters when you are reprimanded either way), but when you get in your car and drive to work you can not foresee this type of incident. I had just sent my phone back to the manufacturer due to a faulty battery and when I got to work I was told that everyone that called to say they will be late will not get an occurence due to the massive effect the accident had on the employees. How can management discriminate against people with out cell phones by punishing them for not giving notice of lateness while on the road, not to mention break the law by using their phone while driving? I filed a complaint with HR that I never heard back from. I was also sent home by a manager (not my manager) for saying my dress was too short. I was wearing a sweater dress that came PAST my knees and I also had tights on underneath. I filed a complaint with HR for sexual harassment as this manager (again, not my manager) continually made comments on my clothing. I do not under any circumstances recommend working for this company. They have deplorable values and no respect for employees.

Advice to Management

People are human beings just trying to do their best. It's not fair for someone to be punished for picking their sick child up from school or having to work with a 102 degree fever out of fear of an occurence.

Dec 7, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your comment. UnitedHealth Group takes harassment seriously and the best way of addressing this is through HR Direct for an investigation by the organization. You can reach out to HR... More

"As expected"

Former Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one really bothers you. Guess that can be a pro depending on your perspective.

Cons

There are many cons that circulate around the industry regarding this company & their associated organizations; and they're all true. It's very much a sink or swim environment & no one in the entire organization seems to have any answers or assists you, heck no one barely even talks to you. It's a very cold & anti-social environment. And then just as you feel you might finally be finding your own way; they lay you off. This organization is widely known for their extensive lay offs.

Advice to Management

Be a manger. It doesn't matter what position a person is starting at (entry level or VP) everyone needs a little guidance to get started, especially if they're brand new to the organization.

Dec 7, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I'm sorry you felt there was little guidance when you started with UnitedHealth Group. In my time here I've experienced the amazing opportunities available to... More

6. "Management"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Met some really nice people

Cons

Poor Management and lack of empowerment.

"United Health Group Phone EAP Counselor"

Former Employee - Phone Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Phone Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice building accessible to bart in downtown San Francisco office on market street. Extensive one month training often provided before assuming job responsibilities.

Cons

The days of mostly traditional EAP phone calls is over! You better have 10 cups of coffee to gear ip for a day at UHG’s EAP program. One crises call after another one some days at UHG EAP is common. UHG contracts to provide EAP counseling with other companies throughout the country . EAP isn’t what it used to be with all of these crises calls as callers often don’t have the time or money to see licensed counselors in their own communities for out patient counseling. Callers realize they can call their EAP any time they like without a charge!meaning sometimes calkers reveal more un a phone interview than they would over time in out patient counseling. It is challenging talking to one caller after another one who’s is acutely suicidal or who had an acute drug addiction or overdose as a problem. In many states it is common for folks to own guns and bullets ti go hunting and also for protection , meaning that when callers admit to plans of
    killing themselves a common method mentioned is with a loaded gun.

Optum EAP which used to be known as United Behavioral Health EAP or UBH under the parent company United Health Group unfortunately has several cases of callers have committed suicide after calling their EAP or other UHG departments. What is odd is that UHG had a system whereby the counselors are actually blamed whenever a caller commits suicide!

Advice to Management

Perhaps thinking about welfare of your employees would benefit all as in doing debriefings with EAP counselors who lose callers to suicide which is not uncommon. This way the counselor gets feedback and can feel more empowered and not blamed whenever your callers commit suicide. Please provide post mortem case meetings with phone counselors and his or her team so all can learn from mistakes made and do better next time i.e. Sweeping deaths under the carpet to protect only the corporation doesn’t help any of your counselors. This is why there is so much turnover and the floor remains empty. Counselors leave the job continuously as they wont get support from UHG which doesn’t follow standardized methods of debriefing or post mortem case reviews as is commonly done in most mental health treatment facilities across the country.

Nov 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi there,
    Thank you for your review and for 8 years of commitment to helping the employees of UHG. The EAP calls are tough, there is no doubt about that. This position may not be for everyone. I... More

"Mismanagement Outside of MN"

Former Employee - Lead Java Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Java Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great on the ground employees and true culture that pushes innovation.

Cons

Complete mismanagment outside of the Minnesota corporate location.

Boston location management is completely non-existent and ethically compromised. There’s a high level executive who has a daughter who works for her directly which I’ve never seen in a company before.

Minnesota management seems to be clueless as to why Boston suffers but barely shows up. Not communicative to employees and contrsctors in Boston and transparent about processes.

Advice to Management

Install senior day to day leadership in Boston that is not ethically compromised and understands the local market and conditions. Current leadership in that office is either ethically compromised OR is from Hartford and has no clue how Boston ticks.

Nov 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience, this information is very valuable. I would encourage you to report your concerns to HR Direct so we can continue to optimize our workplace. They are available... More

"Benefits advocate"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Truly cares about their members and making sure they hire people to fill those seats.

Cons

For this to be a billion dollar company I expected so much more. The interview process itself was a lengthy process. The hiring managers were quick to get me to fill out the assessment and conduct the phone interview however afterwards it took months to hear back about when the training would start. I didn’t receive the information regarding start date and location until the weekend of. While in training we trained in an open room right next to another set of training classes so we had to keep our voices down and do a lot of our learning through websites with our headsets on. The training itself was an overview not an actual in depth training. Everyday we came in and learned a new system never reviewing the previous materials. With the facility being new to the Dublin area all of our management was brought in from outside companies or from other UHC sites so no one seemed to know what they were doing or how this site was going to run. The supervisor still doesn’t know what he’s doing in his role so he provided no help when we were on the floor facing issues. His answers was always I don’t know never once did he point us in the direction of where to get answers. The attendance policy was never fully disclosed until a number of agents were on corrective actions because again it was the blind leading the blind. We weren’t fully equipped to help the members to the best of our abilities. The assistance/mentors they brought it barely answered questions and had attitudes when being asked to help. There were very few team meetings, feedback seemed to fall on deaf ears, & there was absolutely no coaching at all before we were considered experienced agents. All in all if I had never heard of United healthcare I would’ve thought this was a start up company just finding its way. As a result a lot of us from my training class have quit with just a few months experience under our belts. To add there’s no cafeteria in the building. The food they do have to offer is old and kept in a lil fridge and far more expensive than any fast food or gas station. They don’t give out any company merchandise for you to show you work for their company. There’s no team bonding. Upper management never introduces themselves they just walk around as if you’re suppose to know who they are. Management favors certain agents over others and it shows. This is a company that doesn’t care about their employees at all. They don’t listen to the feedback given, they give you a million and one responsibilities on top of you taking emotionally distressing calls, they lack organization and consistency, and they do not fully disclose the job details to you at the time of hire. There is NO work life balance. You are to be at your desk at the start of your shift no grace period, attendance remarks don’t fall off for an entire year, you are REQUIRED to do mandatory overtime regardless of if you have children, school, outside commitments or not.

Advice to Management

You all could spend more time focusing on employee engagement and retention. Hire from writhing instead of outside. It would make more sense for experienced tenured agents to be pursued for supervisor positions than recruiting management from outside companies that have no knowledge of what this job entails and have to be taught everything from scratch as they serve no benefit on the floor. Introduce yourselves especially to a brand new facility no one knows who you all are until you first take the time to engage. Promote your business through marketing give your agents shirts, stress balls—bc this job is def stressful, lanyards, ID cards. Hire management that will actually listen and implement the feedback that is given in order to build trust. Learn how to create a work life balance as this is healthy. Happy employees will drive the business by itself. If customer connection is to be a key point/focus of the company in corporate this in your trainings. There are courses that can be led to teach personality types and ways in which agents can respond to reassure, appreciate, & let the customers know they are being heard. Promote engagement all around your trainings are stand-offish. There’s no role play opportunities for the agents to put into practice what they are learning as they go rather than waiting until the end. Have refresher courses if you see a team or agents are struggling with a specific learning tool. Take the time to actually invest in your company rather that take on everything at once.

"Advancement only if powers that be "like you""

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting a biweekly paycheck and Paid Time Off

Cons

Worst employee insurance EVER, favoritism, lack of growth, lack of transparency

Advice to Management

Please implement active ethics, professionalism, and leadership skills courses for business managers, and supervisors. Too much lying and favoritism from management

Nov 9, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I'm sorry you feel there was a lack of growth and transparency. UnitedHealth Group offers many online tools and resources for you to learn and grow both as an... More

Showing 1,079 of 6,656 reviews