UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

1,079 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 735 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 413 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 228 reviews)

• They offer the worse health insurance package I've ever had in my working career to their own employees (in 249 reviews)

1. "High Demand for little pay."

Former Contractor - Medicare Suppliment Underwriter in Horsham, PA
    Former Contractor - Medicare Suppliment Underwriter in Horsham, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Could be a great career if the pay supported the cost of living. Benefits are good. And a nice office.

Cons

Minimum pay, employee's struggle to get ahead. Company needs to filter the pay down to those workers that are producing income to the company.

Advice to Management

Update your salary scale for paid professionals.

"Good company...horrible upper management"

Former Employee - Military and Veteran's Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Military and Veteran's Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and great lower management. Benefits are great!

Cons

Upper management were clueless. The pay structure was a joke.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like it's a dictatorship! Pull your heads out of your rear and actually listen to them!

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are nice and engaging. Offices are close to home. Great parking. Has an onsite cafe. 401k match, which is good.

Cons

Not transparent with employees, does not value employees. This is apparent in the kind of benefits that is offered; they aren't that great. Does not offer any type of HMO, just a high deductible plan...I'd even say it's not a PPO, it's that high.

Advice to Management

Get your ducks aligned, ensure you're all on the same page, communicate in a timely manner and be a little more detailed in what you have to communicate. Trust your employees. Don't be fearful. In other words don't communicate just the good...be transparent.

4. "California Dreaming"

Former Employee - Optum in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Optum in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation above the industry average.

Cons

Treated more like a consultant than an employee. Some of the worse management in corporate america. Layoffs are based on something but know one seems to know.

Advice to Management

Start over with the basics.

Jun 22, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback and perspectives. Thank you. Alyssa Haak, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

5. "Ok Place to work"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The job was close to my home

Cons

The pay wasn't good for the work

Advice to Management

I have no bad feelings regarding the management

"Strengthening the control environment could enhance operations"

Former Employee - Auditor in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Auditor in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is tremendous including base salary and bonus structure. Most staff are friendly and intelligent. Frequent social and charitable activities help morale. Good work/life balance.

Cons

On-boarding was poor and lacked relevance. Materials should have included a road map for success with defined roles and responsibilities of position.
    Management is poor and ineffective. I feel that my manager set me up for failure and did not follow through on her promises including getting my input on projects I wanted to work on and approving training I wanted. She claimed after I started that she would be an advocate for me when in fact she was anything but. I constantly had to go to her for work, and remind her of training requests I needed approval on. Furthermore, she scheduled me for projects that she wasn't even sure of. Feedback was mostly critical/negative rather than constructive and often merely based on hearsay and anecdotal which from a manager is taken as gospel. While there are resources on HR Direct like LearnSource where you can chart your development, management is extremely critical of everything you do so unless they approve of you, you will not succeed in the department. This can be challenging since managers often communicated poorly if at all to m. For instance, roles and responsibilities of various staff members are not clear or updated anywhere for staff to see and managers did not communicate these expectations to me until it was too late. Some managers have different expectations so that complicates matters further. Without this communication and coaching from management I often felt sabotaged instead of empowered. What I learned in time was that managers delegate most of the roles and responsibilities they are listed as responsible for on that document online downward and Leads do it as well often without telling their team. Turnover is quite high and one director seemed proud of that as she boasted that many staff don’t last six months while complaining how hard it is to fire people. Managers excel at negative feedback and seemingly would rather get rid of staff than develop them or they lack the skills to develop them. I had to constantly bring up examples of my contributions since managers will either minimize or ignore any and were all too ready to detail my weaknesses/faults which were not tied to any data/metrics and had little impact on the project. Worse yet, managers are arrogant and overconfident in their leadership abilities and seem to be above reproach as they are consistently rewarded and praised by senior leadership. Most of the department training is trivial and lacks practicality. Since feedback is such a big part of the department and staff are so poor at giving it that should be a focus of training. A big part of feedback is supporting it with documentation of examples rather than hearsay/subjective statements. The feedback would be a lot more credible and constructive if it outlined strengths as well as weaknesses (balanced). Concise, constructive, balanced and timely feedback was the exception rather than the rule as management lack the skills to consistently provide this. Therefore, feedback was employed as a tool to knock an employee down by cherry picking those incidents that fit a narrative. My manager revisited past performance reviews to solicit negative feedback on me despite it being my first project. She even questioned the experience on my resume which was interesting since during my actual job interview she had no questions. She then told me that she knew I requested more balanced feedback from her boss which made it more probable that retaliation was a motive. She and the VP who was with her at the time should have given me kudos for bringing this to senior management’s attention since unlike them my feedback was valid, constructive and factual. I used to audit offices with similar cultures so I can identify the symptoms of such a toxic work environment. During my time in the department my intent was to help them meet their objectives and identify and mitigate risks that could have a negative impact. In my experience management posed the biggest such risk to the department’s success as they only seemed to care about their own interests.

Advice to Management

Understand what a member of management entails, model desired behavior.

Jun 15, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. I strongly encourage you to talk to HR Direct and relay your experience with our professionals. They are open Monday-Friday 7 AM to 7 PM CT at ... More

"UHG Optum Technology"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 500 company with deep pockets.

Cons

Culture of micromanagement and ultra extended work hours expected.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your micro-managers who expect 10 hours / day and weekends.

"cold culture under a blanket of fluff"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Remote employment opportunities
    401(k) and accompanying match
    Stock Option eligibility
    ESPP
    Competitive Salary

Cons

Lack of good mentoring
    Difficulties with integrating technical components
    Cold, stiff environment

Advice to Management

Work on your emotional intelligence
    Consider looking beyond just the numbers and fluff

"Overworked and underpaid"

Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Client Service Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to work from home, vacation time, and 401K match.

Cons

Raises are minimal, and the starting pay is not even enough if you are a single parent. Trying to get promoted is almost impossible no matter how great you are. They always want a degree for something, and don't really look at all the experience someone has within the organization.

Advice to Management

Take a risk once and awhile on someone that is looking to grow with the company into a better position. The person may not have a degree, but might have the proper knowledge to actually do the job.

Jun 1, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying several benefits at UnitedHealth Group. I'm sorry you feel that promotion is difficult. There are many online resources available to you as an ... More

"Not Orginized"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I had to think hard about this one, I would say I learn a lot about what company not to work for

Cons

Poor Management, poor training and poor communication

Advice to Management

None

Showing 1,079 of 6,144 reviews