UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1,532 Employee Reviews

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Overall positive"

Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior HRIS Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, decent pay. Good team support. On site clinic

Cons

Some managers are not as good as others. Org is so big it can be hard to determine impacts to all teams.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the role to have subject matter experts leading versus managers that don't understand the role.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're enjoying a flexible work schedule and team support. If you have issues with management you can reach out to HRDirect so they can properly handle the ... More

"I heard positive feed back about the company"

Current Employee - Data Rate Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Data Rate Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have 20 + years experience in managed care from provider relations. Data management and contracting. Loading Cms and Rbrvs fee schedule and loading hospital line item schedule with and without auto filters. And physician contracting also.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at the moment

Advice to Management

I am a people person great customer svc. No supervision needed. I am a true team player.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

I am glad you are enjoying your employee experience at UnitedHealth Group! Sarah M. Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Top ranked"

Former Employee - Telephonic Acute Inpatient Care Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Telephonic Acute Inpatient Care Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary
    Approachable managers
    Good workflow
    Forbes 500
    Flexible than bedside work

Cons

Understaff
    Frequent shuffle of work assignments

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our organization. I'm glad you were able to enjoy several benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. We wish you the best. Sincerely ... More

"Health care advisor"

Current Employee - Health Care Advisor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Health Care Advisor in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, kinCare, and 144 hours a year in PTO for every full time employee.

Cons

The pay is not worth the work. I hope that they offer me more pay. The benefits are awesome!!

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Offers competitive salary and benefits

Cons

Lack of work life balance

8. "Awesome People"

Former Contractor - IT Technical Support Specialist in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Contractor - IT Technical Support Specialist in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor

Pros

Salary, People, Training, Work Enviorment

Cons

Position eliminated and was not brought on Full Time

Advice to Management

Great job

9. "Technology Development Program"

Current Employee - Technology Development Program in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Development Program in Boston, MA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rotating Program
    Great Visibility To Upper Level Management
    20+ Days of Vacation Time

Cons

Medical Benefits aren't great.
    Parking Passes are expensive.

"Aviation Manager"

Former Employee - Aviation Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Aviation Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Company to work for. Pay and benefits are the best.

Cons

Upper Management lack Leadership abilities. They promote United Culture as a main staple throughout the Company subordinates, but their activities and actions do not support employee compliance.

Advice to Management

Treat your Employees as you biggest asset, not as an advisory....

"Good compamny to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is helpful and genuinely interested to get things done.
    Managers are open to and interested in you.
    Bleeding edge technologies (at times).
    Work from home fully supported.

Cons

At least three reorganizations per year.
    Large organization with large bureaucracy makes change difficult.
    Despite being a health insurance company, crappy health and dental insurance plans.
    Career advancement only possible if you accept becoming a people leader.

Advice to Management

Offer cheaper insurance plans to employees.
    Hold leaders accountable to their goals, promises.
    Make sure that everyone follows the same goal (not always the case).

Showing 1,532 of 6,021 reviews