UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

1,563 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 735 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 413 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 228 reviews)

• They offer the worse health insurance package I've ever had in my working career to their own employees (in 249 reviews)

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm ... More

"Stuck in a new position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company mission; good culture that is growing stronger; executive leadership is dedicated to mission and culture.

Cons

I was in one position for over ten years and moved to another within a different division of United. I thought it was a good career move but it is now clear after a few months that the new job is a terrible fit for me and the new department. Unfortunately, United rules dictate that I must be in a position for one year before moving (again). In this case, that benefits no one. I can't wait one year and will be looking outside the company. That is unfortunate because I love this company.

Advice to Management

Think of a way to assist good, dedicated, loyal employees who step into a bad fit. With over 200,000 employees, there ought to be a way to assist with finding a better fit and not making people wait a year. That doesn't benefit the employee or United.

3. "Customer Service Advocate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working culture. Decent starting pay.

Cons

Workforce management is overseas. Supervisors in some cases are incompetent.

Advice to Management

Screen call center supervisors more intently.

4. "Triage CEU analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home and pay

Cons

Poor communication and schedule issues

Jun 28, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Was able to get promoted after a year"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can earn $3600 in bonuses/ year. Can work from home after a year in same position if meeting metrics. Don't have to deal with people very often, promotions are possible. Great training programs. Great up training and continual support after training ends. Ridicule and criticism is strongly discouraged. Can find really supportive leaders and mentors.

Cons

Arrogance is confidence without merit

10 hours/week MANDATORY overtime (never ends). Pay could be better. It's common for supervisors to have no clue about the job function of their team. It's mandatory to keep a super distracting instant messenger open. The corporate office in Wisconsin seriously does not care about our site (my office is full of people who are so fat that they could keel over any second. We had a deal with a local gym that would allow employees to pay a special rate of $41/ month and UHC would pay an additional $20/month. UHC backed out. I know we're just poor hillbillies over here, but we're still employees that work really hard for this company. After promoting to a job adjusting claims, I still make only $15.15/hour. Going to the gym keeps my back from hurting and keeps me sane). Some of our leaders promote and favor employees that are horrible to their coworkers, make terrible decisions, and spread bad information. Year-end raises are an insulting joke (mine was .17/hour. They didn't hesitate to remind me that I should be grateful).

Advice to Management

Just spring for the gym membership. We are already at the lowest pay scale in the nation and the people at the office look like death warmed over. We all know that the Job is stressful and paying for pizzas and donuts so that people can eat their stress is only aggravating the problem. It would amount to a .12/hour raise so do me a favor-skip the ridiculous year-end raise and just work with the gym.

6. "Was a long term employee"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pto,401k , my coworkers were like family.

Cons

Micromanagement from supervisors. No loyalty for long term employees

Advice to Management

When having to downsize mabe make transitioning into another position easier.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Despite the bad reputation, UHG does a lot of good in terms of helping people live healthier lives and covering medical costs. There is a strong effort to incorporate the values of integrity, compassion, relationships, innovation and performance company-wide.

Cons

With over 200,000 employees worldwide, you are going to run into good work situations and bad.

Advice to Management

Managing people is a skill that takes into account how different people behave and receive coaching. You may have work-related experience and skill, which is great, but please put thought and effort into learning how to actually manage people.

Jun 8, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review of our organization. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a few benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. There are several online tools and trainings our managers go ... More

"Revenue Cycle Analyst"

Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Analyst in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Management! Generous PTO Packages

Cons

Terrible benefits, Unstable job status

9. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer great benefits and there is tremendous room for growth within the company.

Cons

You have to be with UHG at least a year to transfer within, and your supervisor HAS TO recommend your transfer, otherwise you CANNOT change positions.

Advice to Management

There is no need to micromanage. Also, fairness benefits the company as a whole; friendly fyi.

"Stay Positive"

Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - really smart people.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations causing confusion and distracting employees from their mission: to help members live healthier lives.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and/or roadmap, and stick with it even if leaders change or organizational alignment changes. Every change in person, or structure, causes teams to "start over again"

Showing 1,563 of 6,144 reviews