UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

1,617 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 754 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 429 reviews)

"Very heads-down"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area."

This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading.

Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review.

The positives:
    Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away.

Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow!

Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you.

Total autonomy

No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change.

All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info.

30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare.

Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go.

- Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home.

-Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there.

-Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer.

-If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff).

-Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs.

-Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce!

-No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password.

-Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work!

-LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them.

-Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

Advice to Management

Get some org charts!

Sep 12, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm... More

2. "Director Product Management"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong business strategy, phenomenal corporate leader in Hemsley, work-life balance, corporate culture.

Cons

Top heavy, overlapping roles, bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Flatten the organization. Picking a path - Project or Product will help flattening the organization and increasing business agility.

3. "Great Place to work!"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great work environment and people. Pay and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Very large organization. Decision making can be slow at times.

Advice to Management

Simplify organizational structure.

4. "Great company and benefits"

Current Employee - Oxford Associate in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Oxford Associate in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good hours
    Nice location
    friendly

Cons

Not enough training
    Favoritism
    Micromanagement
    Stressful environment

Advice to Management

Better your training. Is all about training. If you don't train long enough you are not really ready for the job. No one helps you when you need to ask a question..

Aug 21, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would encourage you to share specific feedback on your training with our HR department at 1-800-561-0861. Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager... More

"Expect less and hope for more."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and work/life balance. Have worked here many years and have seen very little turnover. Some of the best most talented people I have ever met.

Cons

Loss of human factor over the years. Sr Leaders are only concerned about bottom line. Town Halls will speak of massive record breaking profits and offer 1.3% merit increase and 65% participation RRP. Tons of re-org of senior leadership loves using snappy terms such as Agile, collaboration, Synergy. When the staff just wants to perform their job responsibilities and provide an excellent customer experience.

Advice to Management

Success only comes from how you treat and invest in your staff. Offer useful training that will better output and set the team up for success. Recognize those that exceed and reward as such. This will encourage others to follow to seek such reward and feelings of appreciation and value.

Aug 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think that continuing to utilize the training materials and classes that are offered on HUB Connect or even within Learn Source are instrumental to career... More

"Good company"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very talented employees, pay and the opportunity to be your best in a position

Cons

The organization does an excellent job sharing company's vision. They could be better at sharing its direction specific to each division versus overall; one division good be doing well and the other not so well. The organization only shares the positive overall position.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to actively cross train as to develop skill sets able to support professional growth and downsizing.

Aug 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a few benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. I'm sorry you weren't able to take advantage of the cross training opportunities... More

7. "Master Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Integrity
    Community involvement
    Career growth

Cons

Sometimes growth can cause short term instability

Aug 17, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, yes, our organization is fast-growing, and yes, that can cause ambiguity and working through that is a key skill set we can expect from our employees. Sarah M. Sr. Talent... More

8. "Large PBM"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Large stable company with good vision and prepared for the future health care scenarios in the USA. Good future planning

Cons

Large company with focus on customers and clients and less focus on employees. Benefits average, but lot of opportunities.

9. "Sr. IT Project Consultant"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company that believes in work/life balance!

Cons

Sometimes working remotely leaves one feeling remote....

Aug 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Working from home is not for everyone. It is important to make sure you find other ways to connect with teammates! Consider joining some groups on our internal... More

10. "UHG Review"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company with large growth and stability

Cons

Can feel too large to navigate

Showing 1,617 of 6,296 reviews