UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Steve Hemsley
2,042 Ratings

5,803 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company With Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Analyst in Harlingen, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, exciting work, great people, good place to learn and grow.

Cons

Honestly, I enjoyed the experience so much, I'd go back again forever if my position still existed, I would be there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every manager I ever encountered was awesome.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Oct 28, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so glad to hear that your experience at UnitedHealth Group was enjoyable! Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

2. "Strong, stable organization"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

A strong national footprint that allows employees to remain within the organization when relocation is necessary. Strong senior management support throughout organization. Compensation is in line with other organizations for same type of position. Work/Life balance is encouraged and well maintained. Management respects hard work and commitment to organization. Recognition is giving freely and openly.

Cons

No downsides to working for this organization. I would definitely recommend United as a strong organization to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"United Health Group is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Account Representative in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Account Representative in Newark, NJ

Pros

The approach taken towards customers makes you feel good about what you do everyday.We work with not just employers but we have many product that include Medicaid members. Helping out a family in need makes my job very rewarding.

Cons

Health Insurance benefits for employees are not so great. Fpr a large insurance company you would think we get great healthcare but in fact it's quite the opposite. The 401K is decent but not great. It's pre-selected and it's automatically deducted. If you don't know how to access certain sites you will remain contributing to their stock which is pretty low at this time.

Advice to Management

change our health plan. Communicate better with staff. Need for more organization within marketing teams/

"I have had a wonderful experience working for this company the past 6 years."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great company, good people, flexibility with family.

Cons

When you first start it can seem overwhelming because of the amount of information you need to learn.

Advice to Management

Seek the opinions of those who are directly impacted by decisions you make.

"Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

Pros

Fair and equitable place, room for advancement, support of goals

Cons

constant fluctuations and re-orgs, not enough team building situations or activities

Advice to Management

a clearer idea of what our overall goal and outlook is without any of the bells and whistles would be nice. show us that the daily stuff that affects us also affects you.

"All around good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

People make the difference. In my years at UHG I've worked with a really great goup of people and that makes all of the difference. The work/life balance is appropriate, I've been given very generaous flexibility to work remotely as needed (especially helpful during snow storms and when the kids are sick). I've had numerous managers provide positive feedback for my work. Sometimes just a note of thanks othertimes a $ bonus. So good performance is often recognized.
    Training is a priority. Management is open to change (often driven by quality improvement initiatives).
    I've had good success with internal career advancement here. Much of this is due to networking and reaching across groups. It takes patience and persistance. HR is not a key driver in this process... managers are.
    disclaimer... UHG is a large companie and with all large companies there is variation. I've heard of other areas in the organization which are not the same. My experience is greatly influenced by immediate managers and directors.

other positive items.. 401k, ample time off.

Cons

Medical benefits are so-so. UHG often tests out new products on it's own... CDHP aka high deductible health plans are the primary offering. So just cause they sell "Cadillac" plans to their customers, don't expect it working here.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees and improving consistency of positive working environments. Career advancement is what keeps people around so keep investing in your people. ULA is the best thing that happend to UHG, get it going again (not just CBT).... also.. offshoring is good and all but don't over do it.

"Great, innovative, fast paced place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Innovation, a great place to get experience and make a difference.

Cons

Compensation seems to be lower than other local companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. However, as you higher new people in, please remember to reward and promote loyal employees.

"Very Satisfied Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Louisville, KY

Pros

Great Benefits! Appropriate coaching and guidance from management! Well appreciated! Work life balance

Cons

Pay is less compared to competition

Advice to Management

The culture is great! Don't Change it!

"UHG"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Great place, where performance is most important and they treat you well. They have smart people to work with and the progress is good on projects and initiatives.

Cons

The culture of corporate is boring and conservative. A lot of employees cause the the work to become slow and bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Overall GREAT company in these hard economic times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Work/Life Balance - Recognizing life outside of work
    Co-Workers - Great people to work with and for
    Paid TIme Off - One of the best PTO packages in the area

Cons

Training - Training for positions of supervisors and above is non-existent for Job function duties. Leadership training is however excellent

Advice to Management

Work on training existing supervisors to train new supervisors for a more successful onboarding process. This seems to be a common issue among most companies

Showing 5,803 of 6,018 reviews