UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

5,710 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,710 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Leadership is amazing"

Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Business Process Consultant in Cypress, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership is very knowledgeable and cares about our ultimate customers, the insured. The knowledge they have is invaluable in making the company better. They are also concerned about work life balance.

Cons

Salary inequality between internal and external job candidates with same skill sets. The discrepancy can be $20,000 a year, so negotiate for as much as possible and don't take the job unless they pay you a more favorable value that you're worth.

Advice to Management

Work harder at salary equality based on skill sets, regardless if you are internal or external.

Apr 20, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. One of the best parts of working for UnitedHealth Group is the benefit of work/life balance. I'm sorry you feel there are salary inequalities. I would suggest you reach out ... More

"UHG is a good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous PTO granted upon hire, flexible work schedule, WFH options, lots of opportunity to move around the company, professional development is available for those who seek it, generous bonuses for those employees who work hard, nice 401K match.

Cons

The company is still very siloed and certain groups aren't willing to work with other groups, the health insurance is average at best and very expensive, in my particular team it was hard to move up pay grade levels, you had to be one of the favored in order to advance, sometimes you felt swallowed up by the big corporate company that UHG is.

Advice to Management

Please follow through, if you choose to develop someone as a leader then give them opportunities to lead, don't just take it away with no explanation. Be proactive about developing your employees and don't just leave it to them to seek it out.

Apr 6, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. As a culture we are working towards breaking down silos and finding common ground with shared goals. While there are improvements in some areas, there is still ... More

"Caring, amazing benefits, & supportive"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company gets it. They treat employees and clients with respect. They live their mission and values. It's evident all over the company from communications to intranet to managers and upper management.

They are picky and selective because they want the right people in there. They don't want just anyone. People truly care. I feel like I'm growing in my career again. I'm challenged and given tasks to take on. But I'm also very well supported. If I have a question or reach a stopping point I always has someone I can ask. I see such a huge growth trajectory for me. My teammates are so kind and supportive.

I'm using my skills and growing!

They also get that we're in 2017. I work from home full time. Amazing setup and IT support for telecommuters.

Amazing PTO (23 days, goes up to 28 after 5 years or manager level job).

Amazing healthcare plans.

Amazing buildings.

Cons

Recruiting. The online application system sucks and you can never talk to a real person. Some recruiters were great and moved fast but other jobs I applied for took 3-4 months before rejection email.

Advice to Management

Fix the recruiting process. Candidates and hiring managers seem frustrated by it.

Mar 30, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your great review of our organization. I'm glad you're enjoying a few of the benefits UnitedHealth Group offers. I'm sorry there was frustration in your application process. I suggest ... More

"Weak polices, no honor for commitments"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Franklin, TN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. PTO 23 days
    2. Good work life balance
    3. Work from home available.
    4. Updated on the technology and lot to learn from very experienced staff.

Cons

1. No bonus if you are less than 5 years old in the company and negligible pay raise.
    2. No honor for commitments made during hiring.
    3. Very weak immigration policies.
    4. Worse insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees who actually contribute to the company's growth not just who manage the contributor.

"Lack of Career Growth...Surrounded by Dead weights"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good work life balance
    -Generous PTO (23 days/year), 4.5% 401k match (100% match for first 3%, then 50% match up to another 3%)
    -Easy work
    -Nice coworkers
    -Cool building
    -New technology in some area of the company
    -Amazing job security because there are many low performers
    -Good stepping stone company

Cons

-Below average pay...you may be hired at a fair/competitive rate, but the yearly raises are not very competitive for people with technical background. Below the industry standard raise of 3%. People will get a max of 2% raise for an outperforming review. Hence, most of the employees here do the bare minimal as an average review will get you 1.2-1.8% raise. After one year, most newcomers will realized it is not worth working hard for the .0X% difference.

-There are many dead weights on my team. At least 80% of my team (20+ developers) is floating around doing less than average amount of points per sprint. Some developers can slide by fixing a defect for a single null pointer exception over the duration of 1-2 weeks...others would call in WFH, but with their status show up as 'away' or 'offline' if anyone bothers to look on Jabber (the internal messaging app we use here)

-Management will continue to blindly hire more developers because the existing ones won't do the work. I have difficulty understanding why low performers are allowed to stay and even promoted in some cases over valuable teammates.

-There are a lot of favoritism in this organization. Your performance matters very little in the yearly review. You will get a higher mark if you know the manager and hanging out with them during happy hours.

-We are moving toward a full agile environment, so WFH is discouraged. At the same time, there are not enough desks for all developers who comes in to office

-Most managers do not care about your career growth

-The culture training are mocked by most attendees as they know it's more symbolic than substance. Our culture values cannot thrive due to the limitations at the system/organization level

-The yearly performance review grades the team on a normal curve. So, even if everyone performed really well, there will always be losers and winners. Contrary to what they taught us in culture trainings. Good talents do not stay more than 2 years here...unless they are also favored by management

Advice to Management

Take some time to help your employees grow in this organization. Revamp the yearly review process.

"Benefit Advocate"

Former Employee - Benefit Advocate in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Benefit Advocate in Greensboro, NC

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay! 15.27 per hour. You get PTO of 144 hours but that includes sick days too. There is opportunity for career advancement as well as working from home.

Cons

You are never going to be fully trained on everything because there are too many different situations members can call about. This was my first call center job and last. The training is alot but is not hard, it was about 14 weeks long. Members call about procedures they need to have covered or medications and sometimes they are not covered by UHC or just miraculously are no longer covered and having to explain that to the member is not easy. If you are up to telling members a certain medical procedure they may need is not covered or medication is not covered then go right ahead and work for them. it stressed me out mentally. members would get so upset and look at you for a reason why and there is not one. They don't train you on how to deescalate a situation like that. This job was just not for me. In training my supervisor was excellent and hands on. But once i got out of training and went to nesting (you are not yet on the floor but you are out of training) i barely spoke with my supervisor.

8. "Appeals coordinator"

Current Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Grievance and Appeals Specialist in Cypress, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overtime opportunities, easy upper management, pretty laid back job

Cons

New systems constantly being implemented

Apr 14, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback - yes, with our organization, change is a constant, especially as we try to be more efficient. I am very happy you enjoy your role with the organization! Sarah Manley, Sr ... More

"Sr. IT systems analyst"

Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - IT Business Systems Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 6
    Employee stock purchase plan
    401k matching
    PTO is 23 days for first 5 years.

Cons

Mismanagement ...do not know how to value full time employees over vendors such as GalaxE...abinitio or someone else.
    Pathetic health plan ...HMO costs over $600 for family of 4.
    Career growth is slow since all major decisions made in Schaumburg, IL

Advice to Management

Read HR policy first then implement on employees.
    Get trained on people management skills

10. "Greatest place to "work""

Current Employee - Benefit Advocate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Benefit Advocate in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for growth, great people, accommodating, compassionate

Cons

The scheduling can sometimes be difficult

Advice to Management

N/A

11. "Great company"

Former Employee - Nurse in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Nurse in Miami, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Structured organization, plenty of opportunities for upward mobility, concern for employees

Cons

None to report at this time

Advice to Management

None to report

Showing 5,710 of 5,917 reviews