UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

6,001 reviews

Full-timePart-time

6,001 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 751 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 421 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 233 reviews)

• They offer the worse health insurance package I've ever had in my working career to their own employees (in 253 reviews)

"No work life balance"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Work from home option and vacation time

Cons

Overworked and extremely stressful. Unorganized mess of a company

Jul 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your candor. You may want to consider discussing your cons with your manager to determine next steps to help make the work environment better for you or consider utilizing some of the... More

2. "Awesome company to work for"

Current Employee - Prodivider Data Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Prodivider Data Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No answering phones. This is not a customer service position. 3 months of paid training. I have a great manager. Time off, great benefits, no weekends and the potential to work from home after a year.

Cons

Pay. I wish the pay was greater.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for better employee morale.

Jul 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you're experiencing a few of the benefits UnitedHealth Group has to offer. Our employees performance is evaluated yearly, which determines their promotions and pay... More

"Just OK"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are OK at best

Cons

Your hard work and dedication is not always appreciated. Watch for favoritism and political drama

"UHC/Optum Full-time Registered Nurse Review 2017"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Compensation
    -Culture (outside of management)
    -Coworkers/work environment (when it does not include management)

Cons

I am excited to be able to share this review with you, and thank you for taking the time to read. I am an experienced Registered Nurse and began my time with UHC/Optum thrilled to have a work-from-home position specifically for the flexibility and independence. I met with one of the managers at the Maryland Heights, MO location and LOVED her. As time went on, I found myself compromising A LOT and feeling like I was in a bad marriage. As mentioned previously, I wanted the flexibility. When I first started, I was told I would have three weeks of training, which turned into nine weeks. This was frustrating for me as I have many other commitments outside of work, and by the time I actually had things communicated to me, I was already too invested. Had I have known this, I would have never taken the position initially.

Training was 8-5 M-F and was inflexible. Then, on a Friday, we were told training would be 7a-3p the following Monday to accommodate someone who worked on the East coast. Here I was to be flexible, yet had to change around my schedule completely without advanced notice. The nine weeks of training was then pointless as UHC did a bait-and-switch and split the class up into ¼ nurse triage and ¾ nurse triage and insurance. Did I mention we then had a new manager? This happened at the end of training…again, once we were all invested. Being flexible, once again, I kept a positive attitude and began taking the phone calls. The calls ranged from “let me transfer you to member services” to “let me explain the donut hole.” I knew I was not a member service representative, but I still kept going because I told myself nurses can help people get to where they need to go, right? I was yelled at, ridiculed, and maybe received 20 total triage calls from members when I worked there for five months. Not to mention, more skills were added which included Medicaid patients who I needed to transfer to Medicaid customer service. How is this nursing when 75% of calls were transferred to another department and members were not being cared for at all?

There was no flexibility. If you needed to leave the desk for 5-10 minutes, you would receive a very passive aggressive group email reminding everyone of the telecommuter rules. Where is this so-called flexibility? We were chained to our desks for 8 or 10-hour shifts.

Now for the independence. We were watched constantly. Our group jabber was watched by someone at all times to ensure we were doing our jobs since we were Registered Nurses with licenses and could not be trusted. Let’s talk about the value that was added to our role since we are one of the most trusted professions out there. We can save lives, but, at UHC, we have to be watched. Talk about an invasion of privacy and feeling devalued.

My favorite part was when we had a meeting about a survey we were coerced into answering positively as this was how management was paid their bonus. We heard that on particular questions, “we were never given less than 100%”, so if we do now, that makes us look bad. Talk about being desperate for your bonus.

After all is said and done, I decided it was best for me to part ways. I received a phone call days later from my so-called “Manager” who asked what UHC could do for me. I was told that he would work with upper management to make this happen because I was so well-liked and “one of their best new-hires.” I waited an entire week for an email and instead received a box in the mail to return my things. No explanation. No email. No “I am sorry.” No exit interview. Nothing. I then wrote a second email asking him to explain what was going on and still no response. Then, I emailed my former manager who obviously knows what is going on there who must have forwarded my email to him. He then got back to me right away with this email:

“Shipping boxes and labels have been ordered and will be arriving at your residence for you to send all equipment back in. An email was sent Monday with this information included, I apologize if you did not receive it. If you have any questions, please contact me.”

Yet another bait-and-switch with UHC. No word about me staying there. No apology. Nothing. I felt like a number in that cold, corporate environment where my hard work was unnoticed and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Care about your nurses. Be consistent. Be upfront and honest from the get-go. Tell your nurses this is a member services insurance position that triages 1/4 of the time, or make changes.

Jul 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Wow, I am sorry that your experience was so negative. While experiences vary with different departments and employees, I encourage you to relay this information to HR Direct Monday - Friday 7 AM to... More

5. "good but not great"

Pros

Clear purpose in an industry that needs help, capable leadership and strong momentum.

Cons

Bad politics. Disconnect between the emphasis on culture and many good people with a tolerance for bullies.

6. "No complaints"

Pros

Good pay and benifits, weekends off!

Cons

not really any that i know of

"It was a stressful situation"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close knit groups and call flow not bad

Cons

Managers don't like to hear the bad

"Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits and work support

Cons

Very little growth opportunities for employees

Advice to Management

N/A

"Run!"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you get in early, you'll get an okay schedule
    Good teamwork and rewards given
    Okay facility
    Pays the bills

Cons

Micro managing
    Worst employee benefits ever
    Tell you one thing but will mean another
    Expect an occurrence for everything
    Core value is compassion but upper management lacks this

Advice to Management

Show the same compassion to your employees that you want your employees to show to the members.

May 11, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your perspective. I'm sorry you feel your management is not showing you compassion. I suggest discussing this issue with HRDirect so they can appropriately handle the situation. You can... More

"Was able to get promoted after a year"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can earn $3600 in bonuses/ year. Can work from home after a year in same position if meeting metrics. Don't have to deal with people very often, promotions are possible. Great training programs. Great up training and continual support after training ends. Ridicule and criticism is strongly discouraged. Can find really supportive leaders and mentors.

Cons

Arrogance is confidence without merit

10 hours/week MANDATORY overtime (never ends). Pay could be better. It's common for supervisors to have no clue about the job function of their team. It's mandatory to keep a super distracting instant messenger open. The corporate office in Wisconsin seriously does not care about our site (my office is full of people who are so fat that they could keel over any second. We had a deal with a local gym that would allow employees to pay a special rate of $41/ month and UHC would pay an additional $20/month. UHC backed out. I know we're just poor hillbillies over here, but we're still employees that work really hard for this company. After promoting to a job adjusting claims, I still make only $15.15/hour. Going to the gym keeps my back from hurting and keeps me sane). Some of our leaders promote and favor employees that are horrible to their coworkers, make terrible decisions, and spread bad information. Year-end raises are an insulting joke (mine was .17/hour. They didn't hesitate to remind me that I should be grateful).

Advice to Management

Just spring for the gym membership. We are already at the lowest pay scale in the nation and the people at the office look like death warmed over. We all know that the Job is stressful and paying for pizzas and donuts so that people can eat their stress is only aggravating the problem. It would amount to a .12/hour raise so do me a favor-skip the ridiculous year-end raise and just work with the gym.

Jul 10, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi! Thank you for your honest and detailed review. It is really nice that you shared with us the pain-points you experience at work and some of the things UnitedHealth Group could do to help... More

Showing 6,001 of 6,224 reviews