UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017
5,913 reviews

Full-time Part-time

5,913 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 735 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 413 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 228 reviews)

• They offer the worse health insurance package I've ever had in my working career to their own employees (in 249 reviews)

1. "Senior Trainer"

Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Trainer in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits package, some WFH flexibility, accrued vacation time of 28 days based on years with the company

Cons

Frequent re-organizations in departments puts positions at risk of layoff. Some management shouldn't retain their jobs and they have power to layoff based on choice.

Advice to Management

Pay for performance with measurement that protects against a few poor managers with personal agenda.

Jun 23, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi there, thank you for your feedback about your experience working at UnitedHealth Group. We appreciate hearing your perspective. Measuring performance is vital in our dedication to growth and ... More

"Revenue Cycle Analyst"

Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Analyst in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Revenue Cycle Analyst in Providence, RI

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Management! Generous PTO Packages

Cons

Terrible benefits, Unstable job status

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Proposal Writer in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Proposal Writer in Albany, NY

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, supportive, remote team. Flexible schedule, great management - no complaints.

Cons

I have no complaints (except of course the health benefits are lousy, but that is universal - not just one company).

"Toxic, almost always"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring management, as well as relaxed working environment.

Cons

Disorganized, company seems to care little about its employees, and a very fake feel to what they promote to be values, and what their actions actually show.

Advice to Management

Have your employees truly share why they are unhappy so that you can fix it.

Jun 15, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry that you feel that the values seemed fake. Our organization strives to live by these values every day. Please feel free to contact HR Direct Monday through ... More

5. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer great benefits and there is tremendous room for growth within the company.

Cons

You have to be with UHG at least a year to transfer within, and your supervisor HAS TO recommend your transfer, otherwise you CANNOT change positions.

Advice to Management

There is no need to micromanage. Also, fairness benefits the company as a whole; friendly fyi.

"Lots of opportunity... within the right group..."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit... it's up to you what you do with the vast amount of opportunity for development within the greater UHG, UHC, & Optum universe. Network! Great people, great culture at the surface, but at the team level it depends on the tone your management sets. Take an opportunity to seek out and participate in the Mentor program. Benefits are ok. Employee stock program is awesome! Having a front row seat to what's what in healthcare and driving positive impactful change is the best...if you can pull yourself out of the weeds.

Cons

Though opportunity IS there, a means for connecting, or the support and encouragement to do so isn't always. It's not always recognized by mid-level management. They can get too focused on their specific area, or initiative, and lose touch with the big picture. This leaves them in somewhat of a silo from the rest of the organization. Some of them take pride in this, or blame "the rest" of the organization for this, but these attitudes ultimately hurt their teams.

Advice to Management

Your employees should feel enabled and emboldened, not always looking over their shoulder wondering if it's "ok" to participate in company sponsored activities, meetings, programs, etc aimed at innovation, development, or career growth...if they can even connect themselves with the right resources.

Jun 8, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review of the organization. I'm glad you've enjoyed several benefits UnitedHealth Group has to offer. That's great that you're looking for ways to grow and develop. You can find ... More

"Room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are nice and engaging. Offices are close to home. Great parking. Has an onsite cafe. 401k match, which is good.

Cons

Not transparent with employees, does not value employees. This is apparent in the kind of benefits that is offered; they aren't that great. Does not offer any type of HMO, just a high deductible plan...I'd even say it's not a PPO, it's that high.

Advice to Management

Get your ducks aligned, ensure you're all on the same page, communicate in a timely manner and be a little more detailed in what you have to communicate. Trust your employees. Don't be fearful. In other words don't communicate just the good...be transparent.

8. "California Dreaming"

Former Employee - Optum in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Optum in Cypress, CA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation above the industry average.

Cons

Treated more like a consultant than an employee. Some of the worse management in corporate america. Layoffs are based on something but know one seems to know.

Advice to Management

Start over with the basics.

Jun 22, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback and perspectives. Thank you. Alyssa Haak, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

"Strong organization with ample opportunities and excellent growth!"

Current Employee - Medicare Risk Adjustment and Quality Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for 5.5 years and this is my 4th position. Tremendous opportunities and flexibility to move among departments and business units. I've reported to 3 directors who had shown strong leadership, communication and provided constructive criticism at times to help me move forward. I intent to stay with the company for many years to come.
    Many pros:
    1. Telecommute. A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home. All my positions with the company have been telecommuting.
    2. Excellent ESPP (15% discount of lower trading price at either beginning or ending of the 6-month-trading period). Maximum 10% auto debit from paychecks, managed by Fidelity.
    3. Have passed my 5 year tenure and received 28 PTO days plus 8 national holidays. I started with 23 PTO days plus 8 national holidays.
    4. Decent tuition reimbursement. Finished my masters a couple of years ago and if my memory serves me right, the company reimbursed $5,500/year for non clinical programs.

Cons

Just as any large organization, UHG is highly matrix and complex. It was very frustrating at the beginning of my employment with the company - being a telecommuter, lived in Houston, TX reported to NY but territory was northern CA. Didn't know who to turn to for questions and resources. It took me a couple years and lots of research to be able to successfully perform my job. For telecommute positions, self-started and self-motivators tend to do very well.

Advice to Management

More transparency and communication from corporate leadership. I anticipate constant change in direction, goals and organizational structure due to the nature of our business. However, it would be nice to have information as FYI.

May 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your great review of our organization. I'm glad you were able to experience many opportunities to grow and develop at UnitedHealth Group. There are some great resources online to help ... More

"Stay Positive"

Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Richmond, VA

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - really smart people.

Cons

Frequent reorganizations causing confusion and distracting employees from their mission: to help members live healthier lives.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and/or roadmap, and stick with it even if leaders change or organizational alignment changes. Every change in person, or structure, causes teams to "start over again"

Showing 5,913 of 6,131 reviews