UnitedHealth Group Reviews | Glassdoor

6,053 reviews

Full-timePart-time

6,053 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A colleague once shared 25% of the organization employees work from home (in 754 reviews)

• You will have an excellent work life balance working here (in 429 reviews)

1. "Analyst"

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great work environment and co workers

Cons

Benefits are not the best for a health care company

Advice to Management

Training is always helpful to both new and existing staff

Jul 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience here. The benefits are under review annually and if there is some specific information you would like to provide, please contact HR Direct at 1-800-561-0861 Monday... More

"The Place to Be"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Culture, impact, compensation , teammates, flexibility

Cons

Benefits package could be better

Jul 25, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing. I completely agree the culture, flexibility and team are great parts of working for UnitedHealth Group. While benefits packages are under review every year, if you have a... More

"Advocate"

Current Employee - Advocate in The Villages, FL
    Current Employee - Advocate in The Villages, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, pay, benefits, flexible with PTO as long as the personel is available to cover. If you end up in a main office like Miami or Tampa there are no limits to how high you can go with hard work and dedication. The ability to move up is literally up to you.

Cons

Higher ups are big on micro-managing.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about numbers and stop taking great agents for granted

Jul 24, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thanks for your candor about careers at UnitedHealth Group! You offer great insight into the benefits we offer to our employees and it's true - your ability to move up is all up to you and your... More

"Ok job-definitely not a career"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New manager was a breath of fresh air. Good vision benefits, good amount of pto, possible work from home option. Ok pay. Good commission/bonus IF YOU ARE ABLE TO MEET ALL OF YOUR BUDGETS & GOALS

Cons

Difficult to get promoted or move forward within company. Difficult to meet budgets & goals with unrealistic expectations form upper management-which makes the job extremely stressful. Bonus is based on productivity therefore it is not a "bonus" but commission. In this role you are expected to provide a level of service to the facility and optum, however time does not always permit these things to be done but optum doesn't care. They still expect you to preform no matter what. Leadership has no real ideal what all this job includes therefore they are unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable with expectations

5. "Good, but has lots of room for improvement."

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very challenging.
    Great PTO.
    Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Political non-sense between groups.
    Big organization, hard ton know where you are at.

Advice to Management

More work done, less politics and bureaucracy.

Jul 21, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Hi there,
    Thank you for your review and comments. We love to see that you have listed a challenging workplace as a benefit! As a high performer, politics and bureaucracy should never get in the way... More

"Business Analyst"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Awesome opportunity for growth.
    Diverse environment

Cons

Terrible health insurance
    Bonus structure is usually based on how much management likes you personally

Advice to Management

Continue skip level meetings

"UHC/Optum Full-time Registered Nurse Review 2017"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Compensation
    -Culture (outside of management)
    -Coworkers/work environment (when it does not include management)

Cons

I am excited to be able to share this review with you, and thank you for taking the time to read. I am an experienced Registered Nurse and began my time with UHC/Optum thrilled to have a work-from-home position specifically for the flexibility and independence. I met with one of the managers at the Maryland Heights, MO location and LOVED her. As time went on, I found myself compromising A LOT and feeling like I was in a bad marriage. As mentioned previously, I wanted the flexibility. When I first started, I was told I would have three weeks of training, which turned into nine weeks. This was frustrating for me as I have many other commitments outside of work, and by the time I actually had things communicated to me, I was already too invested. Had I have known this, I would have never taken the position initially.

Training was 8-5 M-F and was inflexible. Then, on a Friday, we were told training would be 7a-3p the following Monday to accommodate someone who worked on the East coast. Here I was to be flexible, yet had to change around my schedule completely without advanced notice. The nine weeks of training was then pointless as UHC did a bait-and-switch and split the class up into ¼ nurse triage and ¾ nurse triage and insurance. Did I mention we then had a new manager? This happened at the end of training…again, once we were all invested. Being flexible, once again, I kept a positive attitude and began taking the phone calls. The calls ranged from “let me transfer you to member services” to “let me explain the donut hole.” I knew I was not a member service representative, but I still kept going because I told myself nurses can help people get to where they need to go, right? I was yelled at, ridiculed, and maybe received 20 total triage calls from members when I worked there for five months. Not to mention, more skills were added which included Medicaid patients who I needed to transfer to Medicaid customer service. How is this nursing when 75% of calls were transferred to another department and members were not being cared for at all?

There was no flexibility. If you needed to leave the desk for 5-10 minutes, you would receive a very passive aggressive group email reminding everyone of the telecommuter rules. Where is this so-called flexibility? We were chained to our desks for 8 or 10-hour shifts.

Now for the independence. We were watched constantly. Our group jabber was watched by someone at all times to ensure we were doing our jobs since we were Registered Nurses with licenses and could not be trusted. Let’s talk about the value that was added to our role since we are one of the most trusted professions out there. We can save lives, but, at UHC, we have to be watched. Talk about an invasion of privacy and feeling devalued.

My favorite part was when we had a meeting about a survey we were coerced into answering positively as this was how management was paid their bonus. We heard that on particular questions, “we were never given less than 100%”, so if we do now, that makes us look bad. Talk about being desperate for your bonus.

After all is said and done, I decided it was best for me to part ways. I received a phone call days later from my so-called “Manager” who asked what UHC could do for me. I was told that he would work with upper management to make this happen because I was so well-liked and “one of their best new-hires.” I waited an entire week for an email and instead received a box in the mail to return my things. No explanation. No email. No “I am sorry.” No exit interview. Nothing. I then wrote a second email asking him to explain what was going on and still no response. Then, I emailed my former manager who obviously knows what is going on there who must have forwarded my email to him. He then got back to me right away with this email:

“Shipping boxes and labels have been ordered and will be arriving at your residence for you to send all equipment back in. An email was sent Monday with this information included, I apologize if you did not receive it. If you have any questions, please contact me.”

Yet another bait-and-switch with UHC. No word about me staying there. No apology. Nothing. I felt like a number in that cold, corporate environment where my hard work was unnoticed and undervalued.

Advice to Management

Care about your nurses. Be consistent. Be upfront and honest from the get-go. Tell your nurses this is a member services insurance position that triages 1/4 of the time, or make changes.

Jul 27, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Wow, I am sorry that your experience was so negative. While experiences vary with different departments and employees, I encourage you to relay this information to HR Direct Monday - Friday 7 AM to... More

8. "Case Management-RN"

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is Amazing & the Potential for Advancement is high

Cons

Employee Health plans could be much much better

"Community Health Worker"

Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Community Health Worker in Orlando, FL

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Their pay structures are very aggressive with great incentives similar to military pay grade style. The training is second to none. It's so thorough that there is little excuse to be ignorant of any protocols and they pride themselves with information updates to remain competitive in the field. Not a boring job. Not a company for the lazy.

Cons

If you like things to stay the same this place is not for you. UHG is constantly changing their techniques and their approach which makes constant learning imperative. They overkill on meetings, again to remain razor sharp as a company but it has it's wear and tear. Requires High Energy as they always maximise employees time to get the most out of you. The insurance they offer is similar to any other medium sized company even though they are an insurance company.

Advice to Management

In Canada high stress on the job is not popular. Try to find a balance that you can preserve the emotional and mental health of your employees and maintain a high yield. Remember your workers are your highest capital. Your an health insurance company, offer the best insurance to your employees that can't be accessed from working for other companies and a higher quality of employees will be accessible and it will lower your turnover rate.

Jul 13, 2017 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed a few benefits of UnitedHealth Group during your time here. I'm sorry you were worn down in your job. I've experience great work/life flexibility... More

10. "Good company to start your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job Security, Learn New Technologies

Cons

Long Working Hours, Dominant Senior Management

Showing 6,053 of 6,282 reviews