UnitedHealth Group Reviews in Rocky Hill, CT | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Cons

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Product Support Analyst in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Product Support Analyst in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative and high tech company. Leader in their industry. Fortune 100 company. Good benefits. Work schedule and work life balance is good.

Cons

Micro management. Lack of bonus or profit sharing. A bit disorganized. Bad training program.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees.

"Typical Corporate Shell"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The people were great and it was a fun environment.

Cons

Too many companies and divisions thrown together made an operational nightmare. IT shackles prevented ease of work. Had to jump throw hoops before you could even do your job.

"Associate Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

Pros

Good place to work for, good work life balance. Healthcare benefits are not that good. Depends where you work, a lot of exposure to senior management.

Cons

As the company headquarters are in MN, there is no that much opportunity after you each certain level. I can tell you that over the past 2 year, there have only been 2 jobs that I could apply for in finance. And those jobs usually are for people that have already been selected.

Advice to Management

I believe it is one of those "it is what it is" situation. As much as roles are posted to be as telecommuter, I can tell you that I looked at a lot of jobs over the past 12 months that would have been a good fit, but they all went to individuals in MN. It is not really the company's fault, people want to manage those around them. There are no hard feelings.

"It keeps growing and growing and growing!"

Former Contractor - Director in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Contractor - Director in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with a lot of opportunities to choose from all over!

Cons

Mergers and constant change keep employees on edge... management changes over too often and people don't always feel that work and life balance is optimal

Advice to Management

Have a clear strategy, implement it and move forward... worry less about short term, keep reinforcing the strategy and remind line employees that they matter!

6. "No work life balance, 6 hours of meetings every day no time to do real work."

Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Technical Business Analyst in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The services and products provided are in high demand so work is plentiful. Ability to work from home.

Cons

The TBA duties should be re evaluated because the team has too much on their plate. If the duties don't change the company will continue to have a high turn over. The projects are so demanding that one almost can't take a sick day or vacation because it will put you 2 weeks behind. Also forget about a raise, we'll depends on who you suck up too!

Advice to Management

Provide better training, better compensation or raises and don't let a raise fall on the shoulders of a manager.

"Optum: Well organized, very smart people, good environment; Disadvantages of Corporate."

Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is well organized,focused on process and training improvements, and has one of the most intelligent groups of people I have ever worked with.

They also have one of the premier healthcare analytics products available, though it is unclear with Obamacare's mandated coverage how important this will continue to be.

Cons

With that said the culture is one of hard, high-quality work; and relatively comparatively ego-less support of coworkers toward the best outcome for the customer. In my 7 years there I could always find this or that little thing to complain about; but I was always treated with respect and there was never a time when I saw someone try to cast blame, or put someone down for other's benefit. That safety may not be ubiquitous throughout the company; but was certainly widespread in my working area. There was also a large push last year to focus of people keeping working hours at 40, which greatly benefited work life balance

Pay, and PTO seem about standard for the industry, and the industry is undervalued as a whole. Improving pay/benefits would make it easier for the company to keep top tier people. I worked remotely, and found that remote workers were not utilized fully or given the same opportunities in the company... Some of that may be endemic to the situation, but is still a major weakness.

Advice to Management

The part of the company where I worked also goes thru a reorganization and often layoffs -- which catch a lot of really good workers -- about every 10 to 16 months, often just as people finally get settled into the new processes, so these re-orgs cause a lot of wasted time and effort, and damages employee trust in upper management.
    It also tends to push people into thinking that if something doesn't work really well; just stick it out as the problem will be re-organized away after awhile, rather than them working harder and pushing back to make it work better.

The biggest areas that management needs to improve (aside from the typical pay / PTO / total compensation): There need to be fewer re-orgs; and rather than ramping up staffing then doing mass layoffs (which causes a lot of good people to leave in itself); the company should hire more slowly and take the effort to go thru the processes of culling, say, the lowest 10% performers individually, if that is the strategy they choose; they should also find and stick with an organizational strategy that works, then tweaking at the edges to make that work better.

"Put me in the hospital"

Current Employee - Senior PM in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Senior PM in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were very nice people who were caught in the same trap I fell into. Working for this horrendous company.

Cons

One of the worst companies I ever worked for. Management's solution when there people were leaving like rats off a sinking ship, tired of 70 and 80 hour work weeks caused by poor management decisions. Do more with less. How trite and how stupid. Management micromanages staff to try to correct for bad decisions they themselves have made and then blames middle managers and professionals for the results. The company put me in the hospital. I would NEVER work for them again.
    The CIO Andre J lied to me to get me to take the job then failed to fulfill every promise I was made. After meeting others I was told this was his MO.

"Very unhappy place to work as employee surveys show"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great location to commute to and from work; ample parking
    VPN accessible
    Solid opportunities for entry level employee with minimal experience
    Flexible work arrangement possible (based on who you report to)
    Telecommunicating required
    Updated laptop configuration
    Free coffee

Cons

Medical benefits are the worst in the region; basically catastrophic care. Prepare to pay out of pocket
    Bonuses and salary increases are few and far between
    Highly political environment; merit is undervalued - politics overvalued
    Closed communication shop; everything is "need to know basis"
    Continuous reorganization, realignment, and rebranding; high attrition rate of senior management and regular staff
    Rocky Hill employees not respected; Was told I must move to Minnesota for promotion or bonuses
    Leadership positions often post as MN-only; shrinking presence in Connecticut
    Middle Management not subject to 360 feedback, employees not asked for manager feedback
    Work spaces are small and disgraceful; Directors and AVPs forced to sit in small cubicles
    Technology positions continue to shift to offshore captive in India where there is ZERO accountability for quality issues, and missing deadlines
    Employee surveys reflect a very dissatisfied work population (particularly in Rocky Hill)
    Low budget for training or certification; inconsistent
    Subjective reviews; "Meets" is the standard regardless of time or effort
    Long hours, project celebrations rare; PMs are overloaded beyond reason

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. Take the time to determine if your middle managers are contributing value to the organization or - just managing up. Make Rocky Hill site a valued part of the organization or just shut it down - you'll save time by not "training for attrition". Require employees to provide feedback on managers (and stop the witch hunts on who gave what input!!)

"What was once a great place to work is now horrible. Stay away unless entry level or unemployed."

Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Management Consultant in Rocky Hill, CT
    Former Employee - Senior IT Systems Management Consultant in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule, Work remotely via VPN, Plentiful free parking, good 401K matching, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Easy to travel to, pay cafeteria on site,

Cons

Constantly in a state of re-organization and change, poor healthcare benefits, little to no investment into training for IT employees, no career path options, expected to go way above and beyond job description and grade level without financial compensation or authority to perform role (in an individual contributor role, I was expected to manage a team with 8 direct reports and 25 subordinates), expected to manage your managers and manage up, senior management talks the talk, but does not walk the walk with regards to the Optuminsight code (Integrity, honesty, etc).

Advice to Management

Execute on a plan to completion to rectify the poor scores on the annual vital signs employee survey that's given every year. Year after year the scores on the vital signs surveys are consistently negative in the areas I've outlined in the cons section of this review. The employees are speaking to you but you are not listening.

"Unbelievable lack of communication - heading in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people there

Cons

Management is horrible. If you plan on applying, don't do it. Find something else. Found out they are going to have another RIF soon. They already had one in Nov 2012 that completely changed the perception of current employees - and not in a good way. They expect us to act as if nothing happened, but all should fear their jobs.
    Leadership is a joke. They are basically non existent and when asked questions about direction and what is going on, they have no answer or just make stuff up.

Advice to Management

Close up shop - they are doing more harm to the industry and brand than they think they are. Colleagues of mine in other firms are getting wind of this stuff and basically laughing at the attempt to be a consulting services firm.

Showing 15 of 5,915 reviews