UnitedHealth Group Senior Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • Work from home flexibility stress free (in 670 reviews)

• If you have a good boss, work-life balance is great (in 374 reviews)

Cons
  • Little lagging in work life balance (in 215 reviews)

• The health benefits (considering it's a health insurance company) are not that great (in 237 reviews)

"Dramatic variance by site, role, and manager."

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hooksett, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hooksett, NH

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* The benefits and pay get a lot of flack on here, and some of it deserves it, but I found the pay to be comparable to other companies and some of the fringe benefits to be quite helpful. The tuition reimbursement is generous and when I had an interview with a competitor, the benefits were verbatim the same. The people I know who came from other call centers, especially from collections, don't complain much about pay. 401(k) with some matching, 18 PTO days, all solid.

* At least in the department I have spent most of my time in, the next few levels of supervisors have been strong. They do a lot of good and are, in my opinion, asked to do way too much. This may go off the cliff once you get above those few levels, but I was very lucky to be on a team where the 3-4 levels above me were filled with compassionate, professional, fun, and caring individuals. Likewise, most of the peers I work with are caring and dedicated to their work.

* If you are a go-getter and strong at your job, there are definitely opportunities for advancement. In the two years I had been in my role, I would say a conservative estimate of 15 people in a department of 50-60 people were promoted to a variety of different positions. This isn't to say promotions are easy (see the cons) but this didn't represent a dead-end role to a lot of people.

* They do care about training and professional development a lot. Depending on the role, there was 8-13 weeks of training to begin with, and then usually an hour of professional development weekly. Even if you end up disliking UHC, it's very easy to take what you learn there and move elsewhere with it. Many people do.

* Work/Life balance after your shift is over is great. You're not taking work home with you, what happens at the office stays there. Mandatory OT in my department was very rare and limited. It isn't as true in other departments but the money is also really good for those overtime hours.

Cons

* This is, at its core, a call center job. I felt like it was probably among the better call center jobs you could ever get (attainable metrics rooted in logic, largely pleasant customers, functional systems, etc.), but you are really subject to what any call center is subject to. That is more negative than positive. You will be sedentary for 8 hours per day and have limited personal time. They have a strict attendance policy and if you need to leave mid-day, there are ramifications for it. Your work can feel very unappreciated, and the errors you make will scream a lot louder than all the good you do.

* I am very, very lucky to be single and childless. There is little understanding for those who have to take care of families, particularly in regards to the rather draconian attendance policy. Those who are in attendance trouble are nearly exclusively those who need to use days off to take care of sick children, and I've seen several exemplary peers leave because they needed a more flexible job. Likewise I mention a lot of promotions above, but I find most of those people to be childless. This is not discriminatory but rather a somber truth that the attendance policy does not work well for those with kids.

* A lot of your fate is in your manager's hands. If you have a poor relationship with your direct supervisor, your career at UHC may be done before it starts. The stats are your baseline, but there will be a lot of people who make their stats. Those who get plum projects, promotions, and acclaim in the department are those who best work with their managers who will put their names out there. Usually, there's 2-4 people per "team" who get that kind of push, to the detriment of others. I was very lucky to have the skills to get in that position. Other very strong peers never get that shot. With the way feedback works, you often find out what you did wrong when it is too late to fix it for the opportunity you wanted.

* Promotions. As I said above, there are opportunities. Just a few things to know up front. The general rule is that it is a year before you can "post-out" to other departments. That is true, but most people who get promoted don't see it until they're a couple years in. If you go in thinking that you'll put in your year with the headset and then find a higher up role...good luck. Additionally, competition is very strong and there is a lot of luck involved throughout the process. Your promotion may hinge on finding the role quick enough, getting the right interviewers, etc.

* Feedback and Fixes are a long process and a problem. There is a once a year survey that doesn't seem to affect much change, feedback isn't well received and any process or protocol changes are laborious to get done. The second another department or a really high level manager needs to get involved, the hope of change dies out.

* It can't be a UHC review without mentioning the health insurance. Yes, it's all high-deductible health plans. You can leverage those to your benefit, but the main perk of the plan is that it is very well subsidized. There is no higher premium/lower deductible option any more.

Advice to Management

Don't let so many people float in the middle. I doubt it's an official mandate, but it seems to me the 20/70/10 style is in full force here. They generally do a good job at weeding out the worst offenders and a good job at highlighting their best, but there is a group of strong employees floating in that 70 that need to be leveraged better and simply are not. Give those people opportunities to sink or swim. There have been employees who could have been big contributors who were marginalized.

Provide additional support both on the front line by hiring more representatives but also at the management level. The "team leaders" are stretched so thin that it diminishes the morale and drive of the lower ranks.

"Don't recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hooksett, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Hooksett, NH

Pros

Lots of work to do!!!

Cons

No respect, bad pay, bad work/life balance, no sick time and good luck using your pto. Oh and horrible benefits.

Advice to Management

Give your employees better benefits and psychological counseling.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Nov 10, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. I am sorry your experience has not been positive. We do offer mental health services through our Employee Assistance Program. I encourage you to call HRdirect at ... More

"Not employee oriented"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast vacation accrual and ability to purchase paid time off. Supervisors are very helpful to the extent the company will let them be and will often treat their team like an extension of their family.

Cons

Benefits are horrible for this being an insurance company they are overly expensive and deductibles are sky high! constant system problems that mess with your stats, no time off and shift trades are extremely hard to come by, the quarterly shift bid is more like an ever 6 month bid and the determination of ranking changes each time, and those you qualify per your metrics for your bonus there is always some reason it will not pay out! Not employee oriented, no picnics, holiday parties etc!

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what your employees want and need, Invest a little more into a better benefits package and get rid of the rolling 12 months attendance policy when industry standards are 6 months! Invest in a call center update and put in migraine lighting throughout the call center to reduce down time for employees, more employees have them than those that don't! Spend more time on training and refreshers, insurance and company policies change frequently sending us on wild goose chases for info while on a call and holding us to a 4 min AHT is absurd!

"Not a caring company"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay with benefits. But it's not really worth the cons.

Cons

Management will work you to death. They will use you until theyou can't any more. If you have children this company would not be a good fit because you will almost never get to spend time with them and when you have time you will be to Tired and burned out. Although the company is in health care, the last thing they care about is employee health.

Advice to Management

Help employees have better work life balance. Stop treating those who work under you as if they don't matter.

UnitedHealth Group Response

Aug 4, 2016 – Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback about UnitedHealth Group. I would encourage you to contact HR Direct regarding your concerns: 1-800-561-0861 from 7 AM to 7PM. Our staff there will be glad to ... More

6. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Maryland Heights, MO

Pros

Great pay, flexibility, room for growth and positive work environment

Cons

benefits, micro-managed, hours and point system

Advice to Management

Allow employees to work without being micro-managed.

7. "Clinical Admin. Coordinator/ Customer Serv. Rep., Sr."

Current Employee - Clinical Administrative Coordinator/Customer Service Representative Senior in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great Opportunity for Career Advancement.

Cons

Long hours in a seated desk job position. (Expected.)

"It's a call center job."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Duluth, MN

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were pretty good, hours were decent, coworkers were awesome. The starting PTO was great, however there was no sick leave.

Cons

Operated like any other massive corporation- money was the bottom line. Work/life balance was terrible and entirely dependent on your supervisor. If you have children you are given a lot more leeway than if you don't, again, depending on your supervisor.

"Resolution Support Specialist (RSS) Tier 2"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Opportunity for growth, and some very supportive management. Opportunity for overtime in the busy seasons. Opportunities to become a telecommuter or work at home agent.

Cons

Lesser pay considering the responsibility of the position than expected. Limited flexibility in scheduling and accessibility

Advice to Management

Communication should be kept open between agents and Supervisors

"It was alright"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had M-F schedule with holidays off

Cons

It was a call center position

Advice to Management

Just listen to employees, they deal witu the customers

"Tier 2 phone support"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get a 401k some companies don't match at all these days. That's about it all other benefits are no Bueno.

Cons

The downside is micromanagement, favoritism, not really being able to move up within the company, then the medical benefits are horrible being that we work for a health insurance company.

Advice to Management

You guys are out of touch with us employees. I know you guys are busy I get it but Uhg motto right now is compassion, but there's no compassion for us. Have you heard the saying practice what you preach? Should apply. Also a lot of the supervisors are more stressful then member calls. It's not right! Also instead of wasting money on new non working systems maybe employees can get a pay raise or a bonus or a turkey around the holidays.