KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

UnitedHealth Group

Engaged Employer

UnitedHealth Group

Add a Review

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 1,331 of over 13K reviews

3.7
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
1,595 Ratings
Pros
  • "Telecommuting is great and it feels amazing to work from home(in 1341 reviews)

• "Flexible work timings good work life balance chance to learn cutting edge technologies(in 939 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance is beyond terrible, this is NOT an org to work 40 hours in(in 380 reviews)

• "poor health insurance and limited flexibility on administrative matters given corporate bureaucracy(in 363 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Featured Divisions of UnitedHealth Group

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UnitedHealth Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      5.0
      Former Employee

greta job!

Nov 17, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Middletown, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

income, nice management,work from home

Cons

none at all, love it!

2. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      4.0

Very heads-down

Aug 13, 2015 - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

782 people found this review helpful

UnitedHealth Group Response

Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm happy to hear you enjoy working at the company. Judy Cater, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

3. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A job I'd never thought I'd ever do, an experience I'll always be grateful for.

Oct 21, 2020 - Clinical Pharmacist in Sugar Land, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Used to have a great office cohort. Shifted to work-at-home a few years before the pandemic, so we were prepared for the shift in workflow and attitudes. - Great work-life balance with a standard M-F 8-5 schedule, plus working at home with its conveniences (for instance, not having to drive to work) - Remote work after being with the company for some time. Being able to work in any of the 50 US states is nice. - Interesting line of work, being more able to apply clinical knowledge as pharmacists and having the support and resources to do our best work. - Various side projects to help enhance workflow and change up the everyday routine of case review.

Cons

- Not easy to be promoted due to employees lasting a long time and only so many supervisors per cohort of employees. - Depending on your direct superior, you can be encouraged or discouraged in your professional development. - Micromanagement, especially with time-tracking software, can be discouraging to employees who were trying to escape the "metrics" mindset from the community pharmacy setting.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0

Large Health Insurance Company - Poor Pay

Oct 16, 2020 - Communications Specialist in Wausau, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are a large corporation with a lot of influence. They say they strive for innovation and mostly succeed externally. They have a clear mission statement and place on a lot of emphasis on their values. Their stock prices continue to climb and they offer an employee purchase program at a 10% reduced rate. Many good people work there and the work environment is generally positive. They have a large population of telecommuters and are willing to let employees work from home if business needs allow it.

Cons

They don't value their employees contributions. Innovation and consistency are met with apathy. The compensation is below market value. Although they are an insurance company the health insurance benefits are poor. Middle Managers are overworked and underpaid but they generally do their best for their direct reports. Upper Management is disconnected. They will say the right things but rarely do they follow through with impactful changes to increase employee satisfaction.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Has Potential to Be the BEST Employer!

Oct 13, 2020 - Benefit Advocate
      Business Outlook

Pros

The training environment was like no other!! I was excited to go to work every morning!! The trainers- one word, OUTSTANDING!! and the values!! Which really drew me to choose to work with the company!! Also, the luxury of working from home in today’s climate is much appreciated!

Cons

Work life environment is so much different than training. Night and day actually. Having the pleasure to meet some of my virtual colleagues, I have consistently noticed a decline in the mental health department. It all came from the job. It was an environment of compassion, community, uplifting yet after training subsided turned into being treated as just a number with your worth being based on your metrics. This company really does a fantastic job at hiring for their company, but the greats will leave after feeling burned out and unappreciated.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

This company is NOT employee friendly

Oct 21, 2020 - Customer Service in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Entry level customer service job started at $20/hour Option to Work From Home (for now)

Cons

I was also lied to when I was offered my position (was told $22/hour but it was reduced to $20/hour when I received a call back). Not only did management stop us from requesting PTO for the month of August2020, they CANCELLED ALL PTO that was ALREADY APPROVED for the month of August2020 ! Management is FORCING employees to work OT EVERY DAY due to high call volume for 2021 Open Enrollment from October – November2020. Management sent out conflicting/confusing emails to employees, many of us did not even know if the OT was mandatory or voluntary! The QA (Quality Assurance) Audits are excessive. I have been working in call center environments for years. Usually, reps are audited twice a month. This company conducts audits as much as (maybe more than) NINE TIMES PER DAY.. EVERY DAY !

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Life Changing

Jun 9, 2020 - Benefit Advocate in Chico, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This job is very life-changing. The pay is more than reasonable for the job that you do. You get 18 paid vacation days, in addition to that you get eight paid holidays as long as you work the day before and the day after. Also you have the option to work from home. It's a wonderful place to start a career there is opportunity to move up if you work really hard. When the pandemic hit everybody that was employed here had a job the entire time. Talk about job security! Also they train you for six months and you have a ton a strong support the entire time you're training. The people that you work with want you to succeed. I am so blessed to be a part of UnitedHealthcare!

Cons

Because this is a metric driven company it can be frustrating to stay perfectly in adherence. Sometimes it's frustrating because I have to go to the bathroom so I have to hold it until lunch or break and sometimes I can't wait that long.

8 people found this review helpful

UnitedHealth Group Response

Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with UnitedHealth Group - it seems as though the organization is a great fit for your career. I recommend having an open discussion with your manager on what is and isn't working. There are also employee resources internally that are available to you online and over the phone that I also recommend that you take advantage of. - Tori

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Jan 20, 2021 - Business Analysis Senior Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Phenomenal benefits PTO benefit Option to work from home

Cons

Prefers having offshore employees instead of onshore employees

9. 4.0

Good benefits

Jan 19, 2021 - Claims Processor in Eau Claire, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, flexibility, and work from home opportunities.

Cons

Repetitive, they often promote the worst candidates.

10. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      5.0

Great company

Jan 10, 2021 - Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

Telecommuting is great and it feels amazing to work from home

Cons

None really unless you don’t like working from hone

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,331 Reviews