UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 23, 2021

3.7
UnitedHealth Group CEO Dave Wichmann (no image)
Dave Wichmann
1,594 Ratings
Pros
  • "Telecommuting is great and it feels amazing to work from home(in 1341 reviews)

• "Flexible work timings good work life balance chance to learn cutting edge technologies(in 939 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance is beyond terrible, this is NOT an org to work 40 hours in(in 380 reviews)

• "poor health insurance and limited flexibility on administrative matters given corporate bureaucracy(in 363 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Featured Divisions of UnitedHealth Group

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of UnitedHealth Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Dec 18, 2020 - Registered Nurse in Canton, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, great pay

Cons

self training, there aren’t any other cons

2. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very heads-down

Aug 13, 2015 - IT Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I will preface this review with a statement you need to heed when reading this review as well as any reviews for this company -- "It depends on your area." This is a GIGANTIC company and YMMV depending on your group. Keep that in mind when reading. Anyway, I've been here only 6 months, but I think I have enough of a feel for Optum to write a review. The positives: Great work/life balance: I never have to stay late, work on weekends, etc. I get 23 vacation days and my manager encourages me to use them AND completely unplug while away. Beautiful office: I work at the new Optum office in Eden Prairie. Building is modern and comfortable. Full size gym and locker room, and workout classes. Great parking ramp with a skyway so you never need to go outside in the rain or snow! Work from home: VERY progressive with WFH! I can work from wherever I want. if I want to WFH one day, I can. If I want to WFH the whole week, I can do that, too. No one questions you. Total autonomy No drama: This is a very heads down place! I can't stress that enough. No one socializes with each other -- most of the time, you never even talk to your cube neighbors (because they're probably working from home). This is a positive for me though -- after working in some high drama offices, this is a refreshing change. All meetings are over webex: Great news if you hate in-person meetings like I do -- because there are very few! In the 6 months I've been here, I've had 4 in person meetings. This is also a con because you never meet your coworkers - read the con list for more info. 30 minute "best practice" meeting times: You will not get invited to 2+ hour meetings, ever. Nearly all meetings are only 30 minutes. You might have the one-off meeting that's an hour, but it's rare. Good, standardized PM practices. But some of the documentation requirements are too rigid and can slow progress down. Our group is trying to move to 100% agile. Slowly.... All of my projects so far have been waterfall SDLC. Although as a new person, it would help to have a PM to shadow on some of these documentation/audit practices. I've had to learn as I go. - Great cafeteria with cheap prices. I can get a lunch here cheaper than I can bring it from home. -Very engaging training classes!!! All training classes are over LearnSource (i.e. your computer) but the videos are well done and entertaining.

Cons

-Building seems empty because so many people WFH. It's almost kind of...sad. Such a nice building but no one is there. -Internet explorer is the browser of choice. Yuck. You have to have special permissions to download Google Chrome or Firefox on your computer. -If you like socializing with your coworkers, this is NOT a place for you! I can't stress that enough!! You will NOT meet your new BFF here. Everyone is very heads-down and focused on work -- no one chit chats about football or True Detective! You will not have coworkers stopping by your desk (to chat about a TV show OR to even chat about work). Most of my days, I don't talk to anyone in person. It's kind of depressing -- and I'm an introvert! There are no happy hours, social events outside of work, etc (this is a positive for me because I hate that stuff). -Lots of contractors. Not that it's a bad thing - I've had great experiences with the PM contractors. They obviously don't last as long as the employees, and there's more contractor PMs than employee PMs. -Difficult, as a new person, to know "who's who." There is no face-to-face meetings, so as a PM, it's tough to know who does what, since there's no face to put with the name. I struggle with this a lot, as I'm not used to this extreme of a "remote" workforce! -No wifi for your phone. Wifi is only available for visitors and you must have a user name and password. -Nearly all social media websites are blocked. Not really a con, but something you might want to know. You won't be browsing facebook at work! -LOTS of meetings. Sure, the meetings aren't in person, they're over Webex, but you will have a LOT of them. -Some "know-it-all" ego-driven coworkers, especially on the tech side. But this is typical of IT in general. I've witnessed this at every org in which I've worked.

782 people found this review helpful

UnitedHealth Group Response

Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough review! Yes, UnitedHealth Group is a hard-working company, but we also strive for work-life flexibility by having telecommute positions and work from home options. I'm happy to hear you enjoy working at the company. Judy Cater, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

3. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A job I'd never thought I'd ever do, an experience I'll always be grateful for.

Oct 21, 2020 - Clinical Pharmacist in Sugar Land, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Used to have a great office cohort. Shifted to work-at-home a few years before the pandemic, so we were prepared for the shift in workflow and attitudes. - Great work-life balance with a standard M-F 8-5 schedule, plus working at home with its conveniences (for instance, not having to drive to work) - Remote work after being with the company for some time. Being able to work in any of the 50 US states is nice. - Interesting line of work, being more able to apply clinical knowledge as pharmacists and having the support and resources to do our best work. - Various side projects to help enhance workflow and change up the everyday routine of case review.

Cons

- Not easy to be promoted due to employees lasting a long time and only so many supervisors per cohort of employees. - Depending on your direct superior, you can be encouraged or discouraged in your professional development. - Micromanagement, especially with time-tracking software, can be discouraging to employees who were trying to escape the "metrics" mindset from the community pharmacy setting.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company But Prepare for Rolling Layoffs & Frequent Restructuring

Nov 23, 2020 - Director, Customer Engagement in Eden Prairie, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

It all depends on the team you are on, but I was fortunate to be in a great group where leadership was always empowering and interested in helping you achieve your professional goals. I had a flexible environment and work/life balance. I would HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of the ESPP; however, that has changed over the years, but their stock is a huge benefit.

Cons

You have to be able to be flexible and adaptable as there is always restructuring and change of leadership. If you don't like change, this isn't the organization for you.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to Work!

Jan 10, 2021 - Senior Wellness Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is exceptional. Many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Compensation did not always match job responsibilities.

6. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Benifits but at a Cost (R&D)

Jan 15, 2021 - Data Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

- PTO/pay/benefits are top notch. I started with over 3 weeks of PTO on day 1 - You'll work with different technologies up to date methodologies - At R&D you'll have the chance to work with very smart scientists - Ability to work on projects that furthers research - Decent WFH options - UHG has tons of other departments and roles

Cons

- Politics are the worst I've ever seen. Keep your head down and do not rustle feathers. - Constant reorgs and layoffs, in my tenure layoffs happened around twice a year. - Work/life balance is beyond terrible, this is NOT an org to work 40 hours in.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to start career

Jan 10, 2021 - Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

decent salary and good work life balance, good stock options/401k, overall strong management and colleagues tend to be interested in their work and want to succeed

Cons

poor health insurance and limited flexibility on administrative matters given corporate bureaucracy. also, senior leadership and the board of directors lacks diversity

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Pushes and rewards high performers

Jan 23, 2021 - Business Analysis Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, software tools available, PTO

Cons

401k match is standard, stock purchase plan got worse

9. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good company, great culture, needs process improvment

Apr 25, 2019 - Product Manager in Pune
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Great senior team Fun team/volunteer and company activities Generous PTO Company cares about its employees

Cons

A lot of processes are old and have not changed. There are many instances where the old processes can not keep up with the company's growth. Like any other large companies, there are many moving parts that can be hard to keep track of. Can be very difficult to move within the company internally.

89 people found this review helpful

UnitedHealth Group Response

Enterprise Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your thorough and candid feedback. I definitely challenge YOU to challenge the process by taking the next steps to implement change: telling your manager or leader your desire to take on these challenges and demonstrate skills you have or develop skills you'd like to work on to take the next steps on moving upwards internally. We understand that moving internally is not always straightforward, but no career has a specific linear path. You'll see that we have leaders who zig zag so they can learn a wide range of skills, that have helped them become successful leaders. If you ever have questions about internal mobility, please join our internal employee group about this topic and join our career development events! Annie W., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group Annie W., Sr. Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

10. UnitedHealthcare | Division of UnitedHealth Group
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid Company

Jan 10, 2021 - Senior Financial Analyst in Bangalore
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Lots of PTO --Decent work/life balance --Dynamic Environment

Cons

--Below market pay --Can take time to advance

1 person found this review helpful