Unitrends Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 13 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 6 reviews)

"Get Place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative Teams. Management interested in growing employees.

Cons

No Cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everybody is very upbeat and really wants all their peers and the company to succeed. Not your typical backup company culture.

Cons

The office space is not anything cutting edge. Still a cube farm, hasn't yet embraced the open style most tech companies are moving towards these days.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. This company is definitely trending in the right direction. I think the sky is the limit.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

They give you free lunch

Cons

You are treated like a child, micro-managed and employees are not all treated equally. This is not a forward thinking organization and if you want to work in a call center where number of dials is all that matters, then his place to be. After leaving the organization I had to fight with HR to get correct PTO, benefits and pay because Unitrends refused to pay me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current leaders and change the entire sales model or this company will continue to go nowhere and people will leave.

"Great place to start and advance a career in Software/Hardware Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

I have worked with Unitrends for over 3 years and like all growing companies, it has had it's ups and downs. The technology is some of the best in the market and really does perform as advertised. Management has gone through some changes but as a quota carrying Account Manager, you can see the benefits as they develop over time. Some reviews here seem to point the finger at others who work here but I have hit target for 3 years and think the negative review, like all negative reviews have a bit of bias to them. The team in place really does care about how well you do here and it is apparent by the amount of time and effort that goes into the development of the product and the team in place. Like all positions in the market, it is a "work hard/play hard" mentality. I would recommend Unitrends to anyone looking for a position where they can grow, both personally and financially. The compensation is great and has allowed me to do things that I only thought about previously.

Cons

A continued need to recognize how important the individual contributors within the organization truly are. Communication across teams could be better. Upward mobility could be a bit more clear to those that constantly achieve the goals placed in front of them.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to make the product great. Keep pushing the Account Managers to do things that will make them better.

"Sad state of affairs"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If someone's career aspirations are a "free lunch" and "thirsty Thursdays" as benefits you probably need to rethink your priorities as a professional. It was once a promising organization.

Cons

They're so many ranging from roll call in the a.m. to the strictly scheduled day you have to adhere too. The micromanagement is to the nth degree and the latest strategy is to put the 13 year olds in charge of the 12 year olds. The company is 100% Channel but we had extremely limited resources to support the business model and I hear it's even worse today.

Advice to Management

Ride off into the sunset, one of the lowest approval ratings in the space...Someone bet on the wrong horse and should be put out to pasture. The best days are behind management and I can't for the life of me understand why berating millennial's on a daily basis is appealing to anyone. Next time anyone in management is in front of a mirror, ask yourself: Do I command respect because of my title or rather because I've earned it by exemplifying what a leader should be?

"The worst managed company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Unitrends (More than a year)

Pros

Unitrends has a great product that can reach Enterprise-Level organizations, and the introduction of their Cloud Storage opened up a lot of opportunities

The support team was over-worked but were always willing to help, and the Customer Engineers had enough knowledge of the products to where they could close deals without any direction or help from the Sales Team

The pay was competitive for the area, and each sales rep did have the opportunity to earn Six-Figures

Cons

Where to start...as previous reviews have stated, the company has gone through not just "changes" but significant lay-offs and firings of talented and loyal employees. In my 1 year of employment, I saw 2 rounds of lay-offs, numerous employees fired without warning or reason, an entire office closed, and the worst work environment and morale I have ever experienced.

The CEO of Unitrends has a checkered past at best, and a track record of deceitful practices that have run companies in the ground. Unfortunately, a lot of people see this trend continuing with Unitrends. The fact that he has enough time to respond to Glassdoor reviews, to me, says a lot about his personality and his leadership abilities.

The company runs like a call center, with call reports being sent out 5 times a day. Managers that are supposed to help their team only serve the purpose of micro-managing their day-to-day activities. AM's are encouraged to get deals in their "timeline" which promotes an environment of badgering loyal customers, instead of working strategically with them.

Overall, the work environment and morale was the worst part of working for Unitrends. I went into work fearing for my job on a daily basis, and had a management team that literally could not care less about their Reps.

Advice to Management

Care about your people, instead of making decisions that revolve around making a quick buck for your Venture Capital overlords. All of the Glassdoor reviews from former employees all basically bring up the same points, so maybe the leadership team should actually start taking their advice. I would not recommend anyone take a position with Unitrends, the direction of the organization is not stable enough for real Sales Professionals with ethics and talent.

"Want a CEO who micromanages 100 mil company?"

Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA
    Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like hating your job everyday and having a CEO who lambastes you for his poor management decision this is the place for you

Cons

The CEO as you can see reading these reviews is the one writing all the positive reviews. No wonder the company is doing awful he spends 3/4 of his day on here. He has a history of bankrupting good companies too. They did just give the reps. raises but they will be cutting OTE next year for sure. I really question any rep. that still works at this company. All the top ones are Unitrends competitors stealing their clients for good reason. The company did 2.1 mil out of 9 mil quota. If you are intelligent you will steer clear.

Advice to Management

Get some training, you need it! Were you hired to get rid of all the top sales reps and engineers? You are doing a terrific job there.

Dec 28, 2015 – CEO

As you all can see we have a former employee who is quite bitter about no longer working for Unitrends. As I have asked before, why continue to spend time focusing on something that didn't work out ... More

"Hope for the company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent product at a decent price, free coffee, decent place to start a high tech sales career.

Cons

There are many cons, but the majority of them have been listed below. I think right now the biggest Con is our CEO responding to these instead of trying to fix the problem and the morale. Also, before you or HR responds, I will NOT be willing to speak to you face to face about this because as much as I may be disappointed in the leadership I still enjoy working with my customers and feel that I'm adding value to them. When I do move on, or get pushed out, these are relationships I'll be able to continue to build on

Advice to Management

stop focusing so much on trying to make yourself feel better by nitpicking cons on here. These responses make it seem like you've got more than enough time to be on here trying to prove other people are liars, rather than focus on running the actual business. I think if a CEO has to constantly defend themselves and the company they're running it speaks to both. Good CEO's and Good companies know that there are more happy people than unhappy and probably don't spend their time on things like this.

Dec 18, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for voicing your opinion. If you are a current employee. I wonder why you didn't offer up free lunch and Thursday Happy Hour as a PRO. Just as you have chosen to voice you opinions under ... More

"horrible"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of at the moment

Cons

inside sales at its worst, the positive reviews are fake, you can find a better job elsewhere. The VC firm that bought pulled the plug and fired half the sales floor.

Advice to Management

start getting your resume together, they fired the CEO a year ago

Oct 27, 2015 – CEO

I truly question whether this is a former employee. Unitrends has above all else been consistent in hiring educated and articulate people. Neither of which quality is represented in this post

"Used to be a phenomenal place to work."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was a great place for sales professionals at all stages in their career. We had a sales development program for those who had just graduated from college and wanted to launch their career in sales, and there were professional hires who have had anywhere from 2-20 years of working experience. When I started back in 2012, it was truly a good place to work, as everyone was so engaged and the technology was hot. The base salary is a bit low for industry standards, but they made up for it in On Target Earnings on your commissions. If you didn't make six figures, you were doing something terribly wrong. Also, the engineers were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable; which made the selling portion a lot easier. I bumped this rating a star because I truly did enjoy coming into work every day at some point in my career.

Cons

This place has really fallen with internal changes. When Mike Coney ,CEO was fired in Q4 of 2013, it began a series of layoffs and terminations that did not make sense for the company. It brought down the company morale, and it began to be a fearful place of work. No one was happy, but we were all afraid of saying anything. Kevin Weiss stepped in as the new CEO and implemented new changes that were not effective, and the remaining employees who had been with the organization for 3+ years started leaving in masses.

Advice to Management

You made irreversible decisions that can never bring the company back to where it used to be. Good luck with a whole new squad of sales reps who will never know what it was like in the "good ole days" and a team of paper-pushing upper management who don't know anything about the technology. You lost a great team of dedicated individuals who really made this place the company it has become and broke up a happy family.

Sep 29, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I would like to add another perspective and also ask that if you are willing to discuss your perspective further, I would welcome the chance ... More