Unitrends Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 14 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 6 reviews)

1. "Channel Account Manager"

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Technology Solid,

* Strong Leadership,

* Motivated Sales Force - Can Do attitude

Cons

* Unknown at this time. Ask me in 6 months

Advice to Management

* TBD

"Get Place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative Teams. Management interested in growing employees.

Cons

No Cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everybody is very upbeat and really wants all their peers and the company to succeed. Not your typical backup company culture.

Cons

The office space is not anything cutting edge. Still a cube farm, hasn't yet embraced the open style most tech companies are moving towards these days.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. This company is definitely trending in the right direction. I think the sky is the limit.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

They give you free lunch

Cons

You are treated like a child, micro-managed and employees are not all treated equally. This is not a forward thinking organization and if you want to work in a call center where number of dials is all that matters, then his place to be. After leaving the organization I had to fight with HR to get correct PTO, benefits and pay because Unitrends refused to pay me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current leaders and change the entire sales model or this company will continue to go nowhere and people will leave.

"Great place to start and advance a career in Software/Hardware Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

I have worked with Unitrends for over 3 years and like all growing companies, it has had it's ups and downs. The technology is some of the best in the market and really does perform as advertised. Management has gone through some changes but as a quota carrying Account Manager, you can see the benefits as they develop over time. Some reviews here seem to point the finger at others who work here but I have hit target for 3 years and think the negative review, like all negative reviews have a bit of bias to them. The team in place really does care about how well you do here and it is apparent by the amount of time and effort that goes into the development of the product and the team in place. Like all positions in the market, it is a "work hard/play hard" mentality. I would recommend Unitrends to anyone looking for a position where they can grow, both personally and financially. The compensation is great and has allowed me to do things that I only thought about previously.

Cons

A continued need to recognize how important the individual contributors within the organization truly are. Communication across teams could be better. Upward mobility could be a bit more clear to those that constantly achieve the goals placed in front of them.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to make the product great. Keep pushing the Account Managers to do things that will make them better.

"Sad state of affairs"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If someone's career aspirations are a "free lunch" and "thirsty Thursdays" as benefits you probably need to rethink your priorities as a professional. It was once a promising organization.

Cons

They're so many ranging from roll call in the a.m. to the strictly scheduled day you have to adhere too. The micromanagement is to the nth degree and the latest strategy is to put the 13 year olds in charge of the 12 year olds. The company is 100% Channel but we had extremely limited resources to support the business model and I hear it's even worse today.

Advice to Management

Ride off into the sunset, one of the lowest approval ratings in the space...Someone bet on the wrong horse and should be put out to pasture. The best days are behind management and I can't for the life of me understand why berating millennial's on a daily basis is appealing to anyone. Next time anyone in management is in front of a mirror, ask yourself: Do I command respect because of my title or rather because I've earned it by exemplifying what a leader should be?

"The worst managed company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Unitrends (More than a year)

Pros

Unitrends has a great product that can reach Enterprise-Level organizations, and the introduction of their Cloud Storage opened up a lot of opportunities

The support team was over-worked but were always willing to help, and the Customer Engineers had enough knowledge of the products to where they could close deals without any direction or help from the Sales Team

The pay was competitive for the area, and each sales rep did have the opportunity to earn Six-Figures

Cons

Where to start...as previous reviews have stated, the company has gone through not just "changes" but significant lay-offs and firings of talented and loyal employees. In my 1 year of employment, I saw 2 rounds of lay-offs, numerous employees fired without warning or reason, an entire office closed, and the worst work environment and morale I have ever experienced.

The CEO of Unitrends has a checkered past at best, and a track record of deceitful practices that have run companies in the ground. Unfortunately, a lot of people see this trend continuing with Unitrends. The fact that he has enough time to respond to Glassdoor reviews, to me, says a lot about his personality and his leadership abilities.

The company runs like a call center, with call reports being sent out 5 times a day. Managers that are supposed to help their team only serve the purpose of micro-managing their day-to-day activities. AM's are encouraged to get deals in their "timeline" which promotes an environment of badgering loyal customers, instead of working strategically with them.

Overall, the work environment and morale was the worst part of working for Unitrends. I went into work fearing for my job on a daily basis, and had a management team that literally could not care less about their Reps.

Advice to Management

Care about your people, instead of making decisions that revolve around making a quick buck for your Venture Capital overlords. All of the Glassdoor reviews from former employees all basically bring up the same points, so maybe the leadership team should actually start taking their advice. I would not recommend anyone take a position with Unitrends, the direction of the organization is not stable enough for real Sales Professionals with ethics and talent.

"Do not trust them"

Former Employee - Account Manager

Pros

All of the pro left when the CEO took over. There was awesome energy in the offices (Boston , SC ,Phila, EU) and then the former CEO/Exec Team handled a situation poorly.

Cons

Where do I begin. The management team has no clue which way is up. The merger between PHD Virtual and Unitrends may go down as one of the worst situations I have been apart of in my 10 year career. The new CEO had some great ideas, I specificly reading one article stating, "Unitrends Gets New CEO, Says Will No Longer Remain Quietest $100M Vendor ."

SInce then the CEO decided to have a Semi-Annual "All Company Meetings" but the only 2 that have been hosted near the Boston location have lead to over 40 employees being let go due to "Cutbacks" ... Not bc of performance, bc some of these employees were 110% over their quota. The new CEO had an initiative to switch the financial year start and end date (Feb-Jan) in order to help close deals that pushed from the December. What was not realized is that the channel partners (100% Channel Company) are all pushing for December while Unitrends winds up falling short in January . There is an office in the Boston location (Beacon Hill) that is now considered the "Beacon Hill Massacre Room" due to the fact that the management team fired over 20 employees in the same room at once (OUCH)....

Im sure that new headline would now read ... "Insecurity with Unitrends, do you trust they can secure your backup?"

Lastly this company has the nerve to fire ( I dont want to use the word fire, bc it was a massacre) employees on a Saturday morning...outside of working hours.

Advice to Management

Replace them

Feb 1, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your views on the business. There are several inaccuracies in your post, but let me call out two of them. 1) January was the second largest month in the company's history, and... More

"Want a CEO who micromanages 100 mil company?"

Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA
    Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like hating your job everyday and having a CEO who lambastes you for his poor management decision this is the place for you

Cons

The CEO as you can see reading these reviews is the one writing all the positive reviews. No wonder the company is doing awful he spends 3/4 of his day on here. He has a history of bankrupting good companies too. They did just give the reps. raises but they will be cutting OTE next year for sure. I really question any rep. that still works at this company. All the top ones are Unitrends competitors stealing their clients for good reason. The company did 2.1 mil out of 9 mil quota. If you are intelligent you will steer clear.

Advice to Management

Get some training, you need it! Were you hired to get rid of all the top sales reps and engineers? You are doing a terrific job there.

Dec 28, 2015 – CEO

As you all can see we have a former employee who is quite bitter about no longer working for Unitrends. As I have asked before, why continue to spend time focusing on something that didn't work out... More

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager

Pros

As far as BU/DR products, Unitrends is with the best of them. The CTO is phenomenal and knows where/how to take this product to the next level.

Cons

As a 100% Channel oriented organization, you are practically forced to request partners to book deals well ahead of anticipated. Unitrends lives month-to-month creating a hostile channel relationship. Pipeline driven through channel activity was always minimal. Day to day of an AM was +100 prospecting calls to drive opportunity to use as leverage for channel relationships. Partners have a lack of product knowledge and AMs run the deals from start to close. Quota at the time was unattainable- I went through 4 sales re-orgs, and 3 managers during a 9 month spell. Then experienced a +50 sales and operations lay-off across the company... now closed two additional offices.
    CEO is attempting to recreate the wheel as he has done at prior companies. He has a mysterious past prior to Unitrends, and are worth taking a look into!!! A world of lay-offs, reorgs, and financial tactics (mergers, bankruptcy).
    Venture backed and ownership have been outspoken of their admiration for the CEO.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your product and people.

Dec 24, 2015 – CEO

Thanks very much for sharing your opinions.