Unitrends Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady
1 Rating

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 12 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 5 reviews)

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

They give you free lunch

Cons

You are treated like a child, micro-managed and employees are not all treated equally. This is not a forward thinking organization and if you want to work in a call center where number of dials is all that matters, then his place to be. After leaving the organization I had to fight with HR to get correct PTO, benefits and pay because Unitrends refused to pay me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current leaders and change the entire sales model or this company will continue to go nowhere and people will leave.

"Sad state of affairs"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If someone's career aspirations are a "free lunch" and "thirsty Thursdays" as benefits you probably need to rethink your priorities as a professional. It was once a promising organization.

Cons

They're so many ranging from roll call in the a.m. to the strictly scheduled day you have to adhere too. The micromanagement is to the nth degree and the latest strategy is to put the 13 year olds in charge of the 12 year olds. The company is 100% Channel but we had extremely limited resources to support the business model and I hear it's even worse today.

Advice to Management

Ride off into the sunset, one of the lowest approval ratings in the space...Someone bet on the wrong horse and should be put out to pasture. The best days are behind management and I can't for the life of me understand why berating millennial's on a daily basis is appealing to anyone. Next time anyone in management is in front of a mirror, ask yourself: Do I command respect because of my title or rather because I've earned it by exemplifying what a leader should be?

"Management Team must go"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Snacks....other than that there really is any

Cons

Bad Management team, They let go of a lot of top performers, told them it was due to consolidation and yet hiring new account executives today. Product is also getting worse, the software platform has many bugs.

Advice to Management

Your ruining the brand, leave and bring back the management team that grew the place initially.

"The worst managed company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Unitrends (More than a year)

Pros

Unitrends has a great product that can reach Enterprise-Level organizations, and the introduction of their Cloud Storage opened up a lot of opportunities

The support team was over-worked but were always willing to help, and the Customer Engineers had enough knowledge of the products to where they could close deals without any direction or help from the Sales Team

The pay was competitive for the area, and each sales rep did have the opportunity to earn Six-Figures

Cons

Where to start...as previous reviews have stated, the company has gone through not just "changes" but significant lay-offs and firings of talented and loyal employees. In my 1 year of employment, I saw 2 rounds of lay-offs, numerous employees fired without warning or reason, an entire office closed, and the worst work environment and morale I have ever experienced.

The CEO of Unitrends has a checkered past at best, and a track record of deceitful practices that have run companies in the ground. Unfortunately, a lot of people see this trend continuing with Unitrends. The fact that he has enough time to respond to Glassdoor reviews, to me, says a lot about his personality and his leadership abilities.

The company runs like a call center, with call reports being sent out 5 times a day. Managers that are supposed to help their team only serve the purpose of micro-managing their day-to-day activities. AM's are encouraged to get deals in their "timeline" which promotes an environment of badgering loyal customers, instead of working strategically with them.

Overall, the work environment and morale was the worst part of working for Unitrends. I went into work fearing for my job on a daily basis, and had a management team that literally could not care less about their Reps.

Advice to Management

Care about your people, instead of making decisions that revolve around making a quick buck for your Venture Capital overlords. All of the Glassdoor reviews from former employees all basically bring up the same points, so maybe the leadership team should actually start taking their advice. I would not recommend anyone take a position with Unitrends, the direction of the organization is not stable enough for real Sales Professionals with ethics and talent.

"Want a CEO who micromanages 100 mil company?"

Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA
    Former Employee - Strategic Accounts Manager in Rittenhouse, PA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like hating your job everyday and having a CEO who lambastes you for his poor management decision this is the place for you

Cons

The CEO as you can see reading these reviews is the one writing all the positive reviews. No wonder the company is doing awful he spends 3/4 of his day on here. He has a history of bankrupting good companies too. They did just give the reps. raises but they will be cutting OTE next year for sure. I really question any rep. that still works at this company. All the top ones are Unitrends competitors stealing their clients for good reason. The company did 2.1 mil out of 9 mil quota. If you are intelligent you will steer clear.

Advice to Management

Get some training, you need it! Were you hired to get rid of all the top sales reps and engineers? You are doing a terrific job there.

Dec 28, 2015 – CEO

As you all can see we have a former employee who is quite bitter about no longer working for Unitrends. As I have asked before, why continue to spend time focusing on something that didn't work out ... More

"Sales"

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the beginning when I joined the company it still had a family feel and there was ample opportunity to thrive and achieve, despite a 20-something rookie manager with nothing to teach me. Our Marketing under Jennifer Sullivan was stellar. The product worked and we had a rock star solutions engineer supporting my team. Unitrends was doing well financially and culturally before the acquisition by Insight Venture Capital Partners.

Cons

In the beginning when I joined the company it still had a family feel and there was ample opportunity to thrive and achieve, despite a 20-something rookie manager with nothing to teach me. That was ok because I worked my deals solo and with partners, however, whenever I did involve him because I need air cover, he just made the situation worse for me. Not supportive AT ALL. I overachieved on my quota and was denied the reward: President's Club. Instead the company invited newly acquired PHD Virtual employees to Club, people who had no history with Unitrends and had done NOTHING to support the business at that time. Left a VERY sour taste in my mouth. When I voiced this concern, it fell on deaf ears. While I thrived and was able to earn a good living at Unitrends in year one, year two was all about management covering their own butts and running a Boy's Club. Everything good went away post acquisition--a real shame.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees who are committed to the business and who are bringing in revenue. Eliminate selfish management who only looks out for themselves, and there are PLENTY of those at Unitrends.

Dec 18, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I don't know when you left Unitrends, but clearly you still have a sour taste in your mouth. I am sorry for that. If you are interested in discussing it please give ... More

"Hope for the company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent product at a decent price, free coffee, decent place to start a high tech sales career.

Cons

There are many cons, but the majority of them have been listed below. I think right now the biggest Con is our CEO responding to these instead of trying to fix the problem and the morale. Also, before you or HR responds, I will NOT be willing to speak to you face to face about this because as much as I may be disappointed in the leadership I still enjoy working with my customers and feel that I'm adding value to them. When I do move on, or get pushed out, these are relationships I'll be able to continue to build on

Advice to Management

stop focusing so much on trying to make yourself feel better by nitpicking cons on here. These responses make it seem like you've got more than enough time to be on here trying to prove other people are liars, rather than focus on running the actual business. I think if a CEO has to constantly defend themselves and the company they're running it speaks to both. Good CEO's and Good companies know that there are more happy people than unhappy and probably don't spend their time on things like this.

Dec 18, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for voicing your opinion. If you are a current employee. I wonder why you didn't offer up free lunch and Thursday Happy Hour as a PRO. Just as you have chosen to voice you opinions under ... More

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gave a nice severance package that's about it. Free coffee, food, and lunch every now and then.

Cons

Closed 2 office, 5 layoffs..enough said I think. They did give me a nice severance but they laid me off for not a good reason and tried to make it sound positive. Not a company you should work for..they go back on promises and there recent production they missed their numbers by 65%

Advice to Management

No advice to give they are too stubborn to listen.

Dec 15, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for your point of view. We wish you well. While our Philadelphia location had under-performed, it was not by 65%. However, because it was consistent in its under-performance, we made the ... More

"horrible"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of at the moment

Cons

inside sales at its worst, the positive reviews are fake, you can find a better job elsewhere. The VC firm that bought pulled the plug and fired half the sales floor.

Advice to Management

start getting your resume together, they fired the CEO a year ago

Oct 27, 2015 – CEO

I truly question whether this is a former employee. Unitrends has above all else been consistent in hiring educated and articulate people. Neither of which quality is represented in this post

"Unfortunate Outcome"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Technology is solid but implementations have been falling short recently.

Cons

management, management, management. Insight came in and fired everyone that helped drive the companies growth, brought in new people based on personal relationships and effectively halted sales.

They created an environment of distrust, dissatisfaction and fear of being considered "not pro-company". Slow sales and bad management have lead to over 100 people being fired this year.

Sep 29, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your views. I want to be clear - we did not fire 100 people. I have seen this in several posts and it is absolutely false. Insight approved managements decision to hire ... More