Unitrends Reviews | Glassdoor

Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 14 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 6 reviews)

"Information Hiding as a Management Style"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of interesting problems to work on and the hours are pretty flexible. Sometimes there's food or a happy hour. A lot of the developers are really talented.

Cons

Despite the abundance of potentially interesting projects, requirements, specifications, and road maps are largely missing (or hidden from the development team for unknown reasons). Management is slow to respond to most requests for information and frequently misses feature meetings; when they do make it to meetings, they are rarely effective at ensuring the meeting is productive.

Whereas many developers may be used to daily stand-ups, Unitrends has created its own style of status update meetings which manages to be worse in every possible way. Not to worry, though, the particular brand of status update meetings and the official development process workflow changes often enough that the current iteration will probably be replaced with something else in the near future.

Benefits seem to keep getting worse.

There's frequently a crisis of some sort.

Advice to Management

Make sure engineering has a road map, but don't try to set firm deadlines months ahead of time - estimating development time becomes less accurate the further into the future one attempts to predict.

Make use of all that agile training we had (and stop letting people over-commit on "sprints"). This would go a long way towards getting accurate time estimates, too.

Stop attempting to duplicate Jira in Smart Sheets.

"Unhappy"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I had a bad time at Unitrends, some of the people there are great and actually care about you as a person and not a number.

Cons

This place was becoming a joke. They wanted to expand the customer support office but fired many of their customer support engineers. And HR is a joke. They are there to protect the company's butt not help the employees. It was becoming a clique and fast. They grew out of their britches too fast and weren't prepared for what came next.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.
    Have true HR people

"Too much change at the top"

Former Employee - Manager in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in North Andover, MA

I worked at Unitrends (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology with a strong sales and support team. Good partners who want to succeed with Unitrends

Cons

Too much change in too short a time frame. A third CEO in 18 months, two major RIF in the same time frame and replacing CMO and Global SVPs makes for a very public disruption. If the sales teammates don't jump ship they are turfed. Not a good office environment.

Advice to Management

Reduce the internal conflict within management, avoid backstabbing across the sales team and don't upset your customers and partners with cheesy and desperate sales tactics to close deals.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Unitrends full-time

Pros

Great Comp Plan. Supervisor for 1st 5.5 years was amazing...Loved most of my co-workers. Company gave me a chance to use my own ideas and build my own "little business" so to speak....

Cons

Supervisor that took over my area had an agenda, and fired me without warning and for no reason given... I never missed a goal or quota....But was told I was fired with no explanation

Advice to Management

The mid level manager responsible for me was a snake in the grass and upper level mgmt. should have identified that

"The Best and Worst Job You Can Have. Mileage may vary."

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC

Pros

There are a lot of pros to working as a support engineer here. For starters, you get exposed to a wide range of technologies and get to work with others you haven't had much of an opportunity to. It really does exponentially grow your experience in the I.T. field. You touch so much different tech you feel like you could handle almost anything after this job.

Everyday feels new, and I literally was never bored at work. In fact, days flew by due to the work load. There's also free snacks/sodas, a coffee machine, and sometimes management brings in lunch. Wednesdays are catered breakfast from either Chic-Fil-A, Panera Bread, Lizard's Thicket or Jason's Deli.

Solving a hard case is the best feeling in the world, especially when you know the customer is satisfied and thankful for your work.

Cons

I felt the training I received was largely inadequate given the responsibilities given to me as a Customer Support Engineer. Management has even openly admitted to training being horrid and recently took steps to improve this by having two mandatory 1hr training sessions every week. This has only gone on for a month or so now, but I was working here 3-4 months before they said anything about training being bad and I was thrown on the phones without the correct education on the proprietary Unitrends software. Which is fine, I'm a quick learner, but only if the correct documentation is available for me to research.

The admin guide and their internal knowledge base only go so far in helping. I was not given access to anything else like Gira, to assist my troubleshooting, even after I requested it. The training is just a blanket overview of what Unitrends does. I worked maybe 2 labs before I started taking cases officially, but those labs were either unreliable (sometimes they were up, sometimes not) or they didn't really cover actual problems our customers run into. It's frustrating when you know what the error is, but can't find any kind of guidance on how to fix it yourself. Or, worse, whatever you do find is outdated/leads to a broken link.

Management took note of this, and finally was looking to also give out free Unitrends appliances for their engineers to get used to and get better with. I even requested one and told I was going to receive one.

Then I got fired. For what? Numbers. Why were my numbers down? Training. I don't feel like I was appropriately armed to handle what they expected me to. After me being there for 5 months, I finally had a pseudo job eval. My case queue was high -- maybe 55 cases, so every morning I was sitting down with management to discuss this. At no point did they ever mention my job was on the line, either. I ended up getting my backlog down to 19 cases after being over backwards and was let go without notice.

Another con to be aware of is the mental drain. If you work 8-5, you will never, ever get off on time which greatly affects you handling personal things in your life. Not knowing when you're getting off work means you can't plan out anything or set appointments. So, what happens is, if you do take a day off, other engineers have to take your case. The problem is, if I'm already drowning in cases, adding somebody else's makes me that much more behind on my stuff.

Support is ridiculously short staffed (and minus one with me gone) and you'll have to be okay with taking a severity 1 call (as in customer's system is down) at 4:45 or even at 5:30 if you're still there just trying to get to a stopping point to leave. Work/Life balance gets thrown out of whack here, more so than any other job I've had. I literally was working all the time, even at home. And if I wasn't working, I'd be sitting on my couch on a Saturday thinking about working. I wouldn't call it drinking the kool-aid, but if you're there long enough, you just adopt this ridiculous work ethic that's damaging if you have other things to take care of in life.

I was taking my laptop home on weekends, getting up early before work to catch up, and just killing myself to stay afloat. You'd get ahead for a day and you're buried again the next. It's extremely discouraging and stressful. I was doing this off the clock, too (I was contracted) just to get ahead. I didn't care about the money, I cared about lowering my stress level.

There's also a disconnect between departments. Sales never knows what support is doing, support never knows what cloud is doing, and basically everyone is just doing their own thing for the most part. This has been addressed while I was there, but the complete segregation of departments slows things down and made things frustrating to deal with.

In June, there was an issue affecting all Cloud customers. Trying to get an answer out of Cloud in terms of what was going on was like pulling teeth. Meanwhile, I have about 5 customers who pay good money to use the cloud, barking at me because it's not functional and I can't get an update beyond "it's down". Literally, I made a CloudOps case asking for a formal explanation of what's going on (since we did not send out a notice of maintenance.. um, what?!) and CloudOps got back to me saying "It's down, check the dashboard for status", closed the case, and left me out to dry. That's not what I wanted, nor is it what the customer wanted, so I was stuck with an angry customer because nobody at this place wanted to write this guy an incident report that would have taken literally 5 minutes to do.

Lastly, this job is stupidly fast paced. It's like running backwards on the interstate in the rain and trying not to slip or get ran over by a car going 90mph. If your case queue is over 25 you're going to get ran over. Anything over 50 you're going to be roadkill real quick.

Advice to Management

I would have appreciated an actual job eval months ago. I felt once I was told what to do goal wise and how to manage my queue, I was starting to improve. I can't improve if you keep me in the dark until it's too late. Nowhere in the training I received did I ever get told the things I did in the eval meetings with management.

Stop training on useless things like customer empathy. We know how to talk on the phone -- Your engineers need a deep technical dive on a lot of things to actually help them solve cases at the rate you expect them to. The fluff training only puts us to sleep and has to get better for engineers to get better. More hands-on.

I would also suggest putting people in queues that match their actual skill set. As competency improves through training (ding ding), add them to another one. Being thrown to the sharks to think on my feet, then being told not to "learn on the job at the customer's expense" is hypocritical. Where else am I supposed to learn with no labs? Your engineers don't like being clueless when they get cases and I'm sure the L2 backlog would drop if L1's had better access to information and (again) better training from day one. I would have gotten way more out of a 2 week boot camp with labs lead by a senior employee than I did just giving me the admin guide, one class, and throwing me on the phones. And yeah, some people do adapt faster, but some folks need other methods of learning you currently do not accommodate. We're expected to be a jack of all trades, but end up being a master of none. Hire people to fill specific queues (Replication, UVB, Linux, etc). Train them on that queue extensively and let them only work with that. If somebody is out, another engineer with multiple competencies could step in and take that case.

Unitrends is a great place to work without all the red tape in finding knowledge. Even if we parted ways, I still have a lot of friends that work there and would greatly benefit from much better training/labs. In fact, if I had better training I'd probably still be there, but oh well.

"One of the few that was able to leave on their own.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Pros

Its hard for me to give pros for this company. If I did this review back in 2013/2014 there would be 5 stars.

Actual Pros:
    Free lunch on occassion
    Free alcohol to get buzzed before you drive home for the day......makes no sense
    Decent pay

Re-think your career if you are just in it for the free stuff...

Cons

This list could go on. Very very poor management. Ive watched Unitrends mentally and physically drain people - have them work for countless hours just to let them go the next day. Its sickening. I watched an employee get hired, and a month later get let go in a pool of lay offs, at now fault of his... Be careful if you choose to work here. You will not have job security and you will need to have a backup plan because they will let you go with no care in the world. It does not matter if you are a good employee, they keep employees who waste their money and time over good ones - trust me I have seen it all. I hope with the new/old CEO leaving that this company will prosper again.

The previous management team I worked with was great! They led the team, and in turn they got hard workers that helped the company grow FAST - the proof was in the numbers - employees were appreciated and good talent was everywhere! The management team that I worked with recently was a joke. Ive never worked for someone so immature - yes I mean immature (gossiping, he said she said, take bad days out on employees, etc), its actually laughable and quite sad. I left for various reasons, that manager being one of them. And no, I was not a 'problem employee.' This same manager does not have enough knowledge to hold the job title that they do, its really unfortunate for the people that still work under this person.

The company is going downhill. Im assuming they will be bought out by a competitor here soon, too much time has gone on with sales plummeting and the old CEO let it happen.

Advice to Management

The current C team, less the old CEO of course, is actually pretty promising. I hope you open your eyes to what your management team is doing to the company. You are losing good people because you are hiring people who are not qualified. Re-evaluate your reasoning for joining this company, and hire the right people so you can keep the last few good ones you have left.

I was lucky to be able to make the choice to leave on my own. I refused to be one of the ones who was let go after all the hard work I put in. I truly hope and wish the best for all of you and the company. Unitrends may not have been perfect, but the company was worth so much more before the new 'team' came in and wiped it clean of the true talent.

"For the amount of work and skills required the pay is too low to bring in qualified candidates"

Current Employee - L1 Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - L1 Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you need a job and want a good opportunity to be exposed to multiple environments it's worth the experience.

Cons

Don't expect to make more without overtime the bonus structure is almost nonexistent

Advice to Management

Take a true look at what engineers in L1 do and pay them to match the job that is actually performed. The job of an L1 at Unitrends is a teir 2 engineer in any other environment.

Feb 4, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your opinions. We will have the chance to discuss this over the next two days. I look forward to working with you on addressing your concerns. Kevin

"Unitrends Support is an exhausting place to burn out"

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Customer support staff, possibly the best in the industry. If properly staffed, they could provide an amazing level of service.

The Unitrends product (pre-9.0) is second to none. It is the hallmark of the Backup industry. Currently 9.0 feels rushed and unfinished, but hopefully it will soon be up to level of excellence Unitrends has delivered.

Cons

Overworked is an understatement! For over a year Unitrends Support has been critically understaffed, to the point that management is continually begging employees to arrive early, stay late, skip lunch, work Saturdays, and bring laptops home. During this time, management is preaching about maintaining a "work/life balance." Support employees have been asked not to take sick days, even the HR policies have been amended to threaten termination over use of sick time. If you work at Unitrends and get the Flu, be sure to have that approved 2 weeks in advance.

Many "solutions" to the staffing issue have been attempted. At one point, Unitrends supplemented online/chat support with a 3rd party foreign company. This company lacked a fundamental understanding of Unitrends' products, and some employees lacked an understanding of the English language. Thankfully, management noticed the customer dissatisfaction and ended the contract with the 3rd party.
    During summer of 2015, sales did not perform as expected, a result was layoffs of 6 people In Support/installs. During this time, Unitrends continued to post Support jobs and interview candidates for the very positions they laid off. This decision was eventually regarded as an utter failure, many of the laid off employees were offered their position again.
    Later in 2015, the Support staff was reorganized. The initial result was that many employees were moved to different shifts, creating a larger strain on employees working in the more normal shifts. This reorganization also came with Salary increases, most employees saw a $2500 - $5000 annual increase. The catch was that Support's bonus structure was gutted, meaning many employees are making less money after getting a raise.

Proper training has consistently been an issue. In 2014, Unitrends purchased a small competitor, PHD. Their staff was gutted, and Unitrends took responsibility of the product, with virtually no training (initially, about 6 L1's had a lunch & learn). Unitrends has solely supported this product for over a year, while many people in support have yet to be properly trained, however we are expected to provide expert support to our customers.
    Unitrends recently released Version 9.0. This is a fundamental change in the software that took 2 years to develop, and still is not complete. In many respects it is like a new product. Support was given a 1 hour "training" session; essentially this was a sales demo of the product, and provided little usually training for support.

All of these issues have lead to a growing apathy on the support floor. This has two major consequences: declining customer service & attrition of employees.

Advice to Management

Hire more support staff; compensate employees better; train more thoroughly.

Honestly, I don't believe the current CEO understands Unitrends Support. He travels to the Columbia SC office regularly, yet he rarely (if ever) sets foot on the support floor. Support is the external face of the company, yet internally it is treated like an afterthought.

Jan 5, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Our Support Team, and what they do for our customers, is very important to me and the rest of the company, and of course, our customers. It is a key differentiation for us... More

"Negative Changes"

I worked at Unitrends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product and support that is a great fit for SMBs who have a small IT staff looking for a simple and reliable solution.

Lot of good sales reps, middle managers, great engineers. Generally really good people to work with who work hard and have fun.

Cons

The technology is good, not amazing. There are some very basic and critical feature sets that most backup companies have that Unitrends does not.

The negative reviews on here are not just because people can't adjust to change or the recent layoffs. The company has undergone a ton of change in only a few years, which every employee has become used to. The problem is the recent changes haven't been well thought out and it was apparent to most people that the decisions were poor.

Most notably, firing or pushing out the most senior and successful managers and directors, and replacing them with directors who did nothing more than take forecasts and couldn't help reps close deals or answer basic questions on the product. The company was more collaborative and successful when upper management could help strategize and assist their reps in hitting their goals. Only sales advice from upper management now is to make more calls, even when each rep is above 3 hours and 60 dials daily.

Laughable that HR responds to these asking people to share their feedback in person. The company made it clear they wanted to get rid of all bad apples and any dissension could mean your time is up there.

Culture isn't what it used to be. There was a constant feeling in the air that something was going to happen, a layoff, a new acquisition.... Despite preaching about transparency, they are less transparent than they ever had been. The office is a complete rumor mill as well.

Advice to Management

Own up to mistakes for once and don't put all the blame on sales. The blame for a large hiring blitz, segmenting the sales floor continually and ditching your leadership is not on the account managers.

Sep 29, 2015 – CEO

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions.

I want to comment on a few of the items that you brought up in your review. I am sorry that you aren't convinced that our technology is amazing. I... More

"Set my career back years"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

efficient product, good benefits, if you one of the few placed in a good territory there is decent earning potential. There are some very smart sales engineers that you can learn from and some good spirited folks that still remain.

Cons

If you scroll through the reviews that aren't canned responses from current employees you'll get the picture. Management, starting from the very top as been abysmal. If you are going to have folks write reviews at least make them realistic. For someone to come on here and give this company 4 stars is a slap in the face to my intellect. FUNNY how the first reviews that pop up at the top of the page and are considered "popular" are all the positive ones. Yet they have 1-3 helpful marks. I've also seen some of the most accurate reviews removed.

This company takes no accountability. As stated in other reviews, they made several department shake ups, put most of the sales force in a no win situation, then fired them. Yet the people that made those decisions at the top, are still there. It all starts with Insight, the investment company that bought Unitrends. They don't care about you as a person, they'll throw you overboard in the middle of the ocean and pop a hole in your life raft. There are a few talented and intelligent managers but they're like diamonds in the rough. I left a solid company where I was making over 100K to join Unitrends. However, the company that I was sold on was not the company I worked for.

Advice to Management

I understand changes happen but the blame game gets old. People have family's and bills, and the sales reps were hung out to dry. It left a real bad taste in my mouth. The directors are WAY over their heads and the main problem is they aren't "sales" people and are disconnected from the reality on the floor. This is a broken system. Acknowledge this, it's the first step to changing

Sep 29, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

I am sorry that you believe that positive reviews are canned reviews. I can tell you that i know of no canned reviews here at Unitrends. It may be hard to... More