Unitrends Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

Unitrends CEO Paul Brady
Paul Brady

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, get it done culture (in 14 reviews)

• Unitrends is a great place to be and I don (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The previous management team I worked with was great (in 9 reviews)

• Can be stressful and require long hours and weekends, especially at the end of a release cycle (in 6 reviews)

1. "OK Company to have on Resume"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of people who will help you out with just about anything. Great people atmosphere (even with all the chaos)

Cons

Don't see a lot of growth for established employees. Processes constantly change and the appropriate people are never notified until it is to late. Communication kind of lacking.

2. "Ok place"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots of good work

Cons

Hardly talk about compensation. Too many changes often, they have let go a bunch of good engineers due to business downsizing a.k.a sales numbers not being met.

Advice to Management

Don't let the good people leave.

3. "Alright"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

Fast Paced, Lots of room for learning.

Cons

Long hours, not very good teamwork.

4. "Sales"

I worked at Unitrends full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some smart and talented people to learn from

Cons

Micromanagement, lots of turn over

5. "great company"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

great people, great team and fun place

Cons

not flexible with work schedules, very training driven

"Turbulence, Secrecy, and occasionally, breakfast"

Current Employee - Developer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Developer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really like our product, and I think the all of the developers are outstanding. They are all supportive of one another and truly have a passion for what they do.

Cons

No road map makes it difficult to get tasks done, and priorities are constantly changing. They are slowly taking away benefits and perks. They've taken away holidays, the flexible hours are becoming less flexible as we are expected to be in the office more. Open work spaces are not conducive to productivity. We used to get breakfast weekly, now it's monthly. We used to get gym memberships and FitBits, but alas, those have gone the way of the dodo as well.

Advice to Management

Get a road map and share it with development. Trust that development does not just take the "easy way," but really cares about the product and the customers. Give us the freedom to work in the environment that makes us the most productive.

7. "Great Starter Job"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great environment (a lot of people are very helpful to everyone from newbies to experienced)

Cons

Advancement is kind of lacking due to restructuring of business

8. "Stuck"

I have been working at Unitrends full-time

Pros

Its an ok place to work, free snacks and leadership is accommodating at times

Cons

pay is not that competitive and they say there is room to grow but the paths aren't that obvious. Very stressful position, health insurance gets worst every year and they just changed our yearly pto accrual limit from 6 weeks to 3. They "encourage" you to take time off but you get punished for not being productive while you're out

Unitrends Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi there: I'm sorry you feel "stuck" at Unitrends, since we are entering a new era of high growth with lots of opportunities for people to move ahead in their careers. Since you are a current... More

"There's More Good Than Bad - Nothing Is Perfect"

Pros

There's always the little perks like food and then beverages that they offer as well as snacks which made it nice. PTO allotment was generous and I liked that for a company of its size they offered more than 1 option for benefits coverage. Base salaries are definitely within reason and above and I think there is a decent sense of team work throughout the business. The new CEO is a go-getter and transparent with the staff which builds trust even when the business may not be doing so well. Overall, for a smaller tech business, it's not a bad place to work. For beginning tech people, the Support team is a great way to get some wonderful experience. There's been a lot of room for growth in that department as well as sales. Overall I really enjoyed my time with the company.

Cons

The culture has definitely changed and there's a more negative vibe flowing through the business even if everyone comes in with a smile on their face. While almost always hiring for positions, it feels like the exec team overshoots and someone eventually pays the price with a layoff when it's not their fault. With some of the changes, its as if they are trying to reinvent the wheel instead of actually giving something time to see if it will work, especially with sales. More than once sales people have vented frustration about constantly changing territories or comp plans on little notice. There's always a lot of talk but not always a lot of action which can be frustrating as well.

Advice to Management

Stay open with your staff and keep communicating both the good and the bad so that expectations are realistic. People aren't stupid and can always tell when something is off or not going well. Trust is essential right now.

10. "Ups and Downs"

Pros

Competitive salary
    Solid product
    Management seems to be making a genuine effort to turn things around, just not sure how it will pan out.

Cons

Lots of management changes
    Customer support has been lacking
    No clear direction