Unity Care Group, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
André V. Chapman

"Top notch place to work with a family like culture - hated to leave"

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are passionate about the mission of serving and love working with underserved youth then this is the best place to work in the Valley. I've worked for a few other agencies and I have not found one that is passionate from the CEO to the maintenance staff. It's an amazing work environment so supportive and caring for the staff. There is support and encouragement to grow and learn new skills. There is good camaraderie and little drama. I am in a different role now, but I was proud to identify as part of the Educational / Imani Village department, as it is respected within the organization.

Cons

If your looking for a place that's 8-5 then this is not the place because you can't be successful in engaging the students if your a clock watcher and waiting to go home. Youth always know whose there for the right reasons. My manager worked with me to make sure I didn't burnout which was great. its definitely a place that grabs your heart.

Advice to Management

Please only hire those staff who truly come to Unity Care for the right reasons. Not everyone is or understands how to work with our population.

"A good start for someone who is looking for non-profit experience, but definitely not a career."

Current Employee - Development Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Development Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are looking to hire a diverse and motivated group of individuals to serve the foster youth in the community. Most people are committed to bettering the lives of the youth and making sure they get what they need physically and emotionally.

Cons

Management is unorganized and not given any sort of formal training. People in this work environment are extremely unprofessional, which is a turn-off. Things are treated very casually and there are not any sort of formal processes in place that actually provide structure.

3. "Great experience and caring staff."

Former Employee - Program in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were amazing and all working toward bettering the lives of youth. Making sure these kids see a future for themselves is so meaningful

Cons

None. The staff really does a great job and has lots of community buy-in. The kids seem to appreciate the love and support they receive here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

5. "Clinician - group homes"

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility of schedule. Freedom to work with clients in your own style/modality. Accessibility and transparency of clinical supervisors. Fun field trips with youth during the summer. Small clinical team feels like a family.

Cons

The CEO does NOT understand mental health and as such he tries to implement things that are not in the best interest of the clients and are borderline unethical.
    This population (foster and probation youth) are great to work with but they can make it challenging when they are constantly on the run or under the influence.
    Upper management keeps inventing new forms of paperwork to do that just winds up being "busy-work" but doesn't help the youth in the long run.
    Most of the group home staff are good and really do care about their jobs. But there were a lot of staff who either had control issues or just "showed up" and actually made these kids worse.
    There can sometimes be quite a bit of driving around San Jose and sometimes outside of SJ to go to meetings with the kid's county social workers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your clinical team! If your program provides mental health services then that means the clinicians are the experts in this area not the CEO or anyone else. Train your staff on how to work with this population. They are the ones who spend the most time with the youth so they have the biggest impact on their well-being. Too many direct staff have no concept or clue of how to work with at-risk youth.

6. "Really cares about the youth & families"

Current Employee - One of the Team in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - One of the Team in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The agency cares about the lives and welfare of the youth and families they serve. The planning and scope of work is always centered around the best interest of the youth and families.

Cons

There's alot of work to be done and alot of families in need of our help

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging and motivating your staff- they do great work!

7. "Residential Counselor"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a counselor in the group homes for several years while in college and when I graduated I moved back to my community. This is one of the best agencies I ever worked for doing really challenging work with foster youth who have so much trauma. I got direct hands on experience learning how to work with this population from a cultural perspective which was very unique. This agency is very mission driven from the top to the bottom and the people really care about the kids that they work with. I saw so many staff go above and beyond their job to take care of the kids and families they working with. I loved the monthly pot lucks and had a chance to play a few games on the softball team and had a great time.

Cons

Increasing the pay of the residential counselors was the only downside of the job. Living in the bay area is very expensive and as a counselor going to school was really hard. Also somehow getting our neighbors to really understand that these kids deserve the same respect and opportunities as their kids.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to support the residential counselors they are doing awesome work with the kids who come in hurt, lonely, and disconnected from their families.

8. "Amazing organization"

Former Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Jose, CA

Pros

Unity Care consistently looks for innovative ways to improve the lives of youth and families. Management truly cares for the well-being of their employees and the CEO is a visionary leader.

Cons

Working with youth and families on a daily basis can cause stress among staff. However, the management team at Unity Care does a great job at promoting employee well-being and work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing staff to be innovative in their approach to working with youth and families.

9. "Clinical Dept"

Former Employee - Clincian in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Clincian in San Jose, CA

Pros

I've worked at many non-profits and this was one of the best places to work where i could bring my culture to working with kiddos and families - awesome leadership who are passionate about their work and have high integrity. Really enjoyed the monthly pot lucks that celebrate staff and I felt connected to the agency's long term goals and wasn't just a employee number....

Cons

The need for more office space, therapy rooms and more staff training for working with kiddos and families with substance abuse issues.

Advice to Management

I noticed the agency gives plenty of (2nd and 3rd) chances to under performing staff hoping they can turn things around- I would recommend moving those staff on. Not everyone is able to work with this population of clients.

10. "Average workplace"

Former Employee - Program Administrator in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Administrator in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Truly helping the community
    Great coworkers

Cons

Not much career growth, yearly salary compensation dependent on yearly budget.
    Too much turnover, 3 managers within a year
    Hard to maintain a work/life balance when dealing with the foster community, many urgent calls.

"Good Place to start in the Non-profit space"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care Group, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best staff in the world work for UCG. They are very aware of their roles as providers of a safe and positive environment for the residents ages(11-18). Many of the staff know what the residents have and are going through due to having similar experiences and want to make life better for the residents.

Cons

Compensation is poor, benefits are expensive may have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. Employee turn-over is very high, most managers do not have any management skills. Upper management (C-Suite) has no loyalty to employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management(CEO, CFO) needs to be supportive of employees and sensitive to their needs. Do more than" talk the talk" but also "walk the walk". Above all "LISTEN TO WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING, UCG IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU. "