Unity Technologies Reviews

Updated May 1, 2021

4.4
Unity Technologies CEO John Riccitiello
John Riccitiello
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is a strength at Unity and teams(in 42 reviews)

• "Great benefits, good company to work(in 29 reviews)

• Cons
  • "high growth can mean growing pains(in 21 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance is tough to achieve in a company that is constantly growing(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great company that lives up to its values

Feb 17, 2021 - Senior User Experience Designer in Copenhagen
      Business Outlook

Pros

A very welcoming company, open and sincerely committed to continuously improve and provide the best to its customers and users. Among its core values are the principles of putting the users first, aiming for the best ideas independently of where it comes from, and being 'in it together'. I feel that at every level, these values are lived. People are attentive to each other, as much as possible listen to each other and strive to collaborate. Career perspectives look great, as the possibility to learn and grow.

Cons

None so far: colleagues are great and the company seems transparent enough. Perhaps a bit messy in terms of organization, but it is also a company that grew very fast and is finding its foot again.

Unity Technologies Response

Thank you for sharing your Unity experience with us! The Unity Team.

2. 5.0

Fantastic cultrue & transparent leadership

Apr 5, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture. Employees respect each other. Not just due to grass-roots peer-to-peer respect, but mutual respect is a core piece of how leadership pushes the company forward. The executive level leadership is transparent, honest, and humble. Despite recently IPO'ing, the leadership remains long-term focused, and employee focused. They are not cutting corners, cutting benefits, or reducing the level to which they listen to the company at large.

Cons

As we grow, we are slowly learning to be a larger company. Early on, Unity was entirely engineering driven. In that world, one- or two-engineer teams would spin up to solve problems. This led to a very agile and quick moving company, but we have somewhat out grown that. For one, our problems are often too big for just one or two engineers to hop-on then hop-off. Second, we have too many engineers to avoid repeat, overlapping, or conflicting work, if they all work on whatever pops up. Overall we are headed in a good direction. We are remaining engineering & bottoms-up driven, while building infrastructure to support larger teams, and larger communication efforts. The con here is that we're still learning how to do this. How many people are needed in roles like product or program management? How do large and disjoint teams divide up giant initiatives? And, how do we balance supporting legacy systems and developing new ones?

2 people found this review helpful

Unity Technologies Response

Thank you for taking the time to share such considered feedback with us. The Unity Team.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

People are too nice here to point out the real problem

Apr 27, 2021 - Product Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of projects to work on

Cons

Designers have very low visibility here. Design leadership only talks about high level process but don’t know how a real workflow looks like. No rewards for great designers. Being too nice to people who don’t do the work or absent from meetings. Reviews are not tied to the compensation raise. Overall the designer’s impact is really small here. A lot of times designers were not invited in the strategy meetings. Designers are more like in-house consultant agency here.

Unity Technologies Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The Unity Team.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome culture and terrific employees

Nov 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is terrific. Great PTO, catered lunch, excellent benefits, stock grants. Leadership and coworkers truly practice the corporate values: Users First We put users first … they are rock stars and we are their biggest fans. Our shared dedication to users holds us together, defines and aligns our work and drives us to deliver for them. Best Ideas Win We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We have vigorous debates, we listen and learn, and we make sure the best ideas win. We care enough to go through the pain of messy conversations. In It Together We are Citizens of Unity. We act like owners. We’re activists; we have a voice and use it. We’re direct and candid, with good intent. We respect each other’s uniqueness and we’re in it together. Go Bold We do bold things. We go big and when we fail, we learn, get better and go big again. We challenge and elevate each other beyond our limits to do what may seem impossible. We stay curious and hungry.

Cons

Umm... We have to pay for massages?? Oh wait a minute, no we don't because we get money for wellness!

Global Recruiting Program Manager

Thanks so much for letting us know about your experience at Unity! We love hearing positive feedback and experiences from our employees. The Unity Team

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place for personal and career growth

Mar 22, 2021 - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is no crunch. They care a lot about personal growth and mentorship.

Cons

Recent IPO means they are focusing more on investors.

Global Recruiting Program Manager

6. 5.0

Great Recruiting Experience

Mar 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growing company with lots of diverse and exciting opportunities; transparent and effective recruiting process that puts candidates in touch with the right internal stakeholders during the interview process

Cons

None identified as of now

Unity Technologies Response

Its wonderful to see such positive feedback. Thank you for sharing! The Unity Team.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Perfect workplace, amazing colleagues and managers

Mar 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Everything is in balance in unity. Respect, workload and job excitement.

Cons

No cons so far, everything seems to go well.

Unity Technologies Response

We really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. The Unity Team.

8. 5.0

Great interview process

Mar 19, 2021 - Partner Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

People first attitude, focus on team fit and culture

Cons

Interview process is more time consuming than most

Unity Technologies Response

Feedback is really important to us so thank you for taking the time to share this. The Unity Team.

9. 5.0

Left and Came Back

Dec 2, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Truly passionate employees who not only believe in the product but work tirelessly to improve and see new directions for it. - Competitive compensation now that the company is public - Management training seems to really have paid off. A lot of empathy and humanity emanates from the management team. - Commitment to "doing good." - Very competent engineering teams. - Exciting new areas to grow into. - Seeing all of the creative things made with Unity keeps my heart afloat.

Cons

- Depending on your org, it seems that growth opportunities may or may not be equally available compared to other organizations. This was addressed with the Job Architecture plan, which is great to see some movement on it. I hope tweaks and improvements continue to happen as the company matures even further.

Unity Technologies Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and welcome back! The Unity Team.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The best environment for learning you could imagine

Jan 4, 2021 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a lot to say, but some of the highlights include: - Amazing benefits, vacation policies, employee stock ownership, and support for working from home - An environment filled with incredibly smart and talented people that will help you accelerate your career - A company that is constantly pushing innovation while also being sure to strongly consider our customer feedback and satisfaction - A leadership culture that is focused primarily on supporting your growth, rather than micromanaging everything you do

Cons

- The hyper-growth of Unity can make the place feel chaotic and sometimes unorganized

Unity Technologies Response

Thank you for sharing your review. It's great to see such positive feedback. The Unity Team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 507 Reviews