Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

"My dream job"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fantastic environment with really great people. Very inclusive and an honest dedication to keep it that way. technically a start-up but big and successful enough that it doesn't carry the typical risks of working at a start-up. Opportunity to work with innovative technologies. Management that legitimately cares about their employees. Ill be honest, as someone on the autism spectrum I spent 15 years working for places that I didnt fit in, didnt have any feelings (one way or the other) about the product or service i was working on and just resigned myself to the fact that maybe the perfect job i was envisioning for myself simply didnt exist. I would sit at company meetings where everyone else would pass the company koolaid around and happily take a sip, while i would secretly roll my eyes. I didnt understand how people could love a company or a job. ITS A JOB AFTER ALL. That all changed when I started working at Unity. For the first time I work at a company where I believe in our product and love what I do. Most important of all...I feel like I fit in. I feel like people go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome and a part of things. From my first conversation with the recruiter up til my most recent conversation with my boss this whole experience has been amazing. Of course, its still a job and there are ups and downs and bad days and good days. But overall I love coming to work and am so thankful I work for a company where being inclusive isnt just some goal on a memo. It really matters here.

Cons

Moving to new office but until that happens we are getting more and more crowded and continue to hire more and more people, Some teams are having to sit at a satelitte office which isnt ideal, hard to feel part of things if you arent sitting with the rest of the company. Salary is only mildly competitive to rest of industry but once they go pubic im guessing this will improve. Lunch is free so its kinda hard to complain but I bet they pay good money for that lunch and I cant imagine that there isnt a better catering company for the money they must be spending. ( i know what a silly thing to complain about, first world problems)

Advice to Management

Dont change. Historically, companies like this get big, go public, and lose themselves. I would hate to see that happen to Unity.

Unity Technologies Response

May 10, 2018 – Unity Technologies

Great review and so happy that you are enjoying your time at Unity and are surrounded by like minded engineers. We are expanding in Bellevue and moving into a brand new, beautifully designed office... More

2. "Great Interview Experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well-organized onsite flow. The company gives you a chance to know them better via history and team introduction. You can see the interviewers are positive about the working environment in Unity and passion about what they are working on.

Cons

Haven't been in Unity yet, so it's hard to tell any cons. Only thing is that some teams are separate from HQ.

3. "Awesome company! Great for work/life balance"

Current Employee - Creative Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, brilliant coworkers. A culture of mutual respect that is rare. Generous time off . You can finally have a life and a great job!Fascinating work. Happy coworkers. We work hard but it is fun!

Cons

Seriously? Just that I wish they had an office in Marin or East Bay or Oakland? or santa cruz?
    Or Portland? Its fun to be in Sf but pricey and hard to avoid a horrible commute .

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Do not nickel and dime mgmt when people need to travel to other offices.

"Utterly political toxic environment inside a fancy building with free lunches and snacks!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches everyday, fresh juice, game room, beer taps and nice location.

Cons

1. Few teams/ team members do not like each other, you will feel like fighting a battle just to get some work done.
    2. Too frequent changes in upper management has created chaos with no clear direction about the product.
    3. Appraisal process is inconsistent.
    4. Recruiter might lie about pre ipo stock value, Unity took a hefty round of funding last year, stock has been diluted significantly.
    5. Unity has its own way of making work more stressful, you will feel like a lot is on stake and you will be judged.

Advice to Management

Even if you consider half of the Glassdoor and blind reviews are true, there is something terribly wrong, fix them.

5. "Great company with bright future"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, free/healthy lunches and snacks, nice location with beautiful views from the office, interesting work. I have been impressed with the clarity in communication from leadership.

Cons

Nothing that isn't to be expected from a rapidly growing company.

"Management Worst Practices"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An amazing product and community

Cons

The senior leadership in the sales and marketing team is in full empire-building mode. Their top-down communication, with extremly limited understanding of proper problem scoping, process and data management, is debilitating growth and efficiency. Their asks are consistently communicated around "What I need is..." and CC'ed to numerous stakeholders, addressed to no one in particular, to circumvent the "flat hierarchy" defined by limited structure, no clear role definitions and responsibilities. It is evident that Unitys growth has come despite and not because of its sales and marketing efforts. In the past 2 years, customer complaints have increased, employee attrition has significantly risen and only now did someone think it a good idea to provide a management feedback survey, which will highlight the dismal people management practices. Colleagues are continously asked to work later and not smarter, double-work is the rule not the exception and people are treated as production components instead of human beings. Career development conversations come about from bottom-up requests instead of management priorities and the scale-up hiring spree that Unity has been on has left numerous employees without proper onboarding, training and support. 1 manager to 10-12 reports is a symptom and so are the complaints of people being hired for people management roles and then coming into individual contributor roles with individual sales targets.

Advice to Management

To the C-level leaders, go speak with your leadership teams direct reports and get a true picture of what the state of your organization abd people is.

"A few pros but a lot of cons"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A fun place to work. People are very nice and approachable. This is the best part about Unity.
    - Food is pretty good but if you work late they don't provide dinner.
    - Snack quality is declining but it's there.
    - Paid health insurance. 100 bucks wellness benefits and 401k matching.
    - Work life balance is pretty good if you end up on the right team.

Cons

- Filter out all the fake reviews that are obviously posted by recruiters trying to bank some commission. There are lots of them and they are not accurate portrayal of what's going on inside Unity.

- Low caliber talent pool. Unity is desperate for coders and the hiring bar has suffered as a result of that. It's hard to count on people to get their stuff done.

- Performance review is extremely unstructured. It's very hard to take perf review seriously at Unity. Whatever you say will go unnoticed and it seems to have no effect towards compensation.

- Low caliber managers. Anyone .... literally anyone can become a manager at Unity. If you want a 'lead' title, Unity shall provide. If you suck, no worries there is no consequence. You can always revert back to IC.

- Last but not least, if you are financially motivated. This is not the place for you. No target bonus. Compensation change is rare and stock package is a joke.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Unity for over 3 years now and witness the explosive growth. We did a good job of hiring smart, nice folks at least in my team. People come to work wanting to do better. We are playing catching up when it comes to process, due to the fast growth.

C-Suite seems to know what they are doing. The strategy outlined when I started was executed (except for the Analytics org).

I'm very excited about Unity's future.

Cons

Based on the comments on Blind and Glassdoor: We made a few mistakes hiring people who have no interest/business being there. This could become a serious problem for Unity and impact the Company Culture.

Advice to Management

Move more quickly when part of the organization isn't working. Reinforce the Unity Culture and don't hire and root out people with a mercenary outlook. Unity can't afford to be part of the Silicon Valley revolving door.

"Behind the rosy facade there are serious problems"

Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A workplace full of smart, driven people
    - A powerful and popular gaming engine
    - Great recruiters and wework team
    - Nice office perks
    - Near Bart

Cons

- As others have mentioned
       - Toxic environment
       - Game of Thrones politics in some groups
       - Poor senior staff with regards to transparency and communication
       - Feedback on process and design is asked for and not enacted

Advice to Management

As a woman, I was so happy to join a place with strong female VPs. I took the leadership training course at the end of my six months. Then I learned everything taught in those sessions was not practiced by these VPs. I realized that the female leadership at Unity follows the same flawed rulebook of many tech companies - petty politics, no top-down management, mood swings, and wildly flawed expectations.

John, enact 360 reviews for VPs and Directors. Their bonus % should be gated on receiving positive marks from their staff and colleagues.

"Unity is an unhappy place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time

Pros

Walking distance to BART
    Cutting-edge tech stack.
    Food and snacks.

Cons

Morale: Very low. Everyone I know is unhappy and looking to move out. This place is toxic to its core!

Leadership: A joke. Constant reorgs. Too many incompetent and political managers who only care about themselves. ALL tech leads are first time managers. Go figure!!

Hiring: There are better tech companies out there with better culture, benefits, pay.

Career growth: LOL.

HR: the worst of any team I've encountered.