Unity Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Riccitiello

Pros
Cons
  • As the company grows that may improve (in 5 reviews)

• Because we are growing quickly, we're also experiencing a few growing pains as we figure out how to maintain the indie/startup culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Inspiring place to come to work every day"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity is a great place to work, we are growing, have fabulous work/life balance and a super cool product. I love being surrounded by passionate engineers that are at the top of their game. We make the world's largest game engine that has been used to make amazing games (Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, Assassin's Creed). Unity games have over 1.7 billion downloads a month, and we also are the leader in Virtual Reality.

The new HQ is in a great location (right in downtown close to BART) and decked out with things like free snacks, wine and beer on tap, & free catered lunches. We have offices in 26 different cities and people transferring/moving between the offices all the times, so you truly feel like you are a part of a global team. Engineering is extremely collaborative and always working on cool projects.

Cons

None really- keep the Engineering bar high and as we grow, continue offering great work/life balance & perks.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to keep us updated with updates via email and at our monthly all hands.

Dec 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for your wonderful review. Agree with you that Unity is an inspiring place to work with great benefits, amazing engineers, and a very technical product. We take our review seriously and ... More

2. "Best job I've had (so far)"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- A lot of people have mentioned it so it doesn't bear repeating, but lots of great benefits and parks, including lots of holidays, vacation, catered lunches, free snacks/drinks/beer in the kitchen, and more. It's important to point out that this is even in Seattle, where those types of benefits are very uncommon.
    - Culture of pride in work, and strong commitment to doing great things. Important to point out this does NOT come with insane overtime or overwork. There is occasional crunch, but never backbreaking.
    - Huge amounts of autonomy, you're generally trusted to do whatever you were hired to do.
    - It's hard to compete with the great folks in the game industry. These people are incredibly passionate about what they do and genuinely care about making something great, but more importantly supporting each other.
    - Location is pretty smart, right near a bunch of other game companies in the region. Some people complain it's not in Seattle, but being in Bellevue makes more sense for a few reasons.

Cons

- There is some travel, and there will be lots of communication over slack or whatever methods needed across timezones. I don't mind, but it's taken awhile to get used to.
    - In Bellevue, at least, we're on an okay health plan, but it has a lot of things it doesn't cover due to the size of the pool and the company. The premiums and deductibles are fair, but a lot of things typically covered by other large plans are considered purely elective. As the company grows that may improve.
    - The company is evolving into one that provides services rather than simply product licenses. It's a smart strategy, but it's taking a long time to get some people on board. For people hired specifically to deliver these things, it's hard to overcome some cultural hurdles. But again as the company grows this gets better.

Advice to Management

- Mostly? Keep up the good work! Strive to maintain this great culture as the company continues to expand.
    - My only suggestion is to make sure to keep up with the inflating cost of living in some of the tech-heavy locations. Adding perks is nice, but you will lose talent if people end up having to choose between their dream job here and paying their bills if they rent keeps going up the way it has.

"Hands down the best place I've worked or probably will ever work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ All the above and beyond perks (catered food, toll reimbursement, fitness stipend), even in locations like Seattle where no one else offers them
    + More holidays than anyone else
    + Amazing amount of freedom and autonomy - more than most startups
    + No weird peer pressure to work long hours like other tech companies
    + Very R+D focused, get to work on cool new things everyday
    + Get to be fairly involved in the gaming industry
    + Really feels like a family environment
    + Lots of travel

Cons

- Travel (if you don't like it) - usually important because of the global nature of the company
    - Communication is sometimes difficult for the same reason as above

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Jan 16, 2017

Thanks for the terrific review and we're so glad you're happy. Employees like you are what make Unity such an incredible place to work.

"Time with Unity"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, catered lunches and great company parties.

Cons

Seemed to lack direction and recognition of employees. Seems a little to eager to pump up their brand without anything too substantial to stand upon.

Advice to Management

Set individual goals for all employees to work towards and achieve.

Jan 16, 2017

Thank you for providing your feedback. We have a very clear direction of where we are headed on our roadmap of Democratizing Game Development, Solving Hard Problems and Enabling Success and love to ... More

"Smart People Smart Company Smart Leadership!"

Current Employee - Engineering Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Talented and smart people
    Positive and motivating work environment
    Transparency
    Solid leadership
    CEO that knows what he is doing
    Engineers are OUTSTANDING

Cons

Working to align business goals across all teams. Growing quickly and trying to maintain same culture and casual work environment.

Dec 1, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We're always working on finding solutions to the challenges that come with a fast growing environment to ensure the best culture for all of our ... More

"Amazing Company and Culture!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love it at Unity! The hiring and recruiting process was great and the product is leading the way in game development and VR. The leadership is making all the right moves in terms of monetization, seeking capital, people ops/HR, and strategy/global positioning.

Cons

There seems to be some variance in terms of process and abilities/background from team to team. Since there has been a lot of growth recently, this could be something that gets worked out over time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Focus on the innovators in the company in order to question the status quo to stay aligned with the design/VR community.

Sep 21, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks so much for the review. We're working hard to make Unity the best it can be and are glad to have you on the team!

"Great Company! Amazing Peeps!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You are lucky to work at Unity! Your co-workers will be some of the best people you ever meet or had the privilege to work with. The current CEO is doing all the right things to help Unity win in all areas. Go Unity!

Cons

Nothing really to say here!

Advice to Management

Keep killing it!

Jun 13, 2016 – Unity Technologies

We so appreciate your enthusiasm and are thrilled to have you working here. Thanks so much for posting your review. Having fantastic people who are excited to come to work breeds positivity and ... More

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Unity Technologies is the best place to work ever. Super fun and cool people. Breakfast and lunch very day. Atmosphere is collaborative and upbeat. Management is approachable, communicates and listens. People's careers are taken seriously.

Cons

Will share later - too new to see cracks

Apr 20, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing! We're thrilled that you are happy and hope to provide you with continued growth opportunities and challenges and a fun and supportive environment.

"So much opportunity and potential"

I have been working at Unity Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are passionate about gaming, you should work at Unity. There is so much opportunity--provided you are taking care of your job responsibilities and taking initiative--to work with other parts of the business and other teams. It's very energizing. Even if you're not in the 'cutting edge' side of the business, you're usually welcome to participate. There is so much to learn from some very cool people, no matter what role you're in. C-Suite is very visible and if you ask the right questions, leadership is very transparent. Salary is average with the industry (at least on my team) and benefits are on-par (and occasionally better) than most competitors.

Cons

Systems can be a bit janky, but they're getting fixed. Goals are very high as this is a bit of a turning point for the company. There is little tolerance for laziness and bad attitudes on growing teams and perceptions can be easily swayed. (On the flipside -- if you're doing well it gets called out.) Matrixes aren't totally clear, but that is consistent with the fast growth and at the end of the day, someone will be able to point you in the right direction to get your answer if it's not totally clear from an org chart.

Advice to Management

Make sense of team matrixes, be more transparent about future hires and how teams will be shaped (i.e. whether this current influx of business will soon be resolved with a new hire, if that rec is being actively pursued, etc). Allocate resources to alleviate internal struggles with dashboards/salesforce/etc as actively as client-facing solutions are resolved.

Apr 11, 2016 – Unity Technologies

We appreciate your review. We love that you find our culture energizing! We are constantly engaging with our employees and listening to suggestions and insights on how to improve our systems.

"Company Culture Has Been Destroyed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Unity Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Absolutely phenomenal community.
    - Outstanding colleagues (most of them).
    - Insanely intelligent people.

Cons

- Politics have become paramount; if you're not good at playing corporate politics, you won't last long, despite your talents/success in your role.
    - Culture has become incredibly corporate; family feeling has been largely lost, though this varies by office.
    - Abysmal stock options plans ("insulting" I have heard some employees say).
    - Poor bonus structure that doesn't reward the true talent in the company.
    - No 401K matching/generally poor benefits (though again better in some offices than in others).
    - You're one misstep away from being terminated, with no mentoring by senior management on how to improve.
    - Management says one thing, often means something completely different.
    - Company has strayed from its vision of "democratizing game development" by straying away from the core product while making it more accessible, while funneling developers in to their services offerings, at the expense of other options (this is not "democracy").

Advice to Management

Return to the founding roots that made the company and product great, and reward high performers accordingly.

Apr 4, 2016 – Unity Technologies

Unity Technologies is proud of our 10+ year history of company success. Our experienced leadership team approaches growth with a conscious eye to continued enhancement of company culture and employee ... More